Forums / Discussion / General

233,038 total conversations in 7,791 threads

+ New Thread

Maybe it's time to leave Youtube?

Last posted Nov 24, 2013 at 02:37PM EST. Added Nov 18, 2013 at 11:35AM EST
19 posts from 15 users

OK, lets face it, after the recent update this site took a nose dive into a pile of dung, and im not just talking about the new basterdized comment system, the site became worse and far less user-friendly.

Videos now load longer, if they take too long to load they will instantly switch to 144p quality (AKA the I CAN'T SEE SHIT quality)
If you want to go back to a previous place in the video it has to load itself all over again
Leaving the video tab causes it to stop loading so now loading a few videos at once is impossible

There must be many more i didn't mention.

So maybe it's time to round up the majority of the users and settle in a different video site? there are plenty that don't give so much bullshit like Blip and Megavideo,
"b..b.. but what about the channels?" You may ask.
Well, if we get some of the more famous Channels like Smosh to spread the word and Convice enough Channels, it might be possible.

What do you think? is it possible to leave Youtube or we will keep eating their feces just because most of the channels are there at the moment?

at least it's a better idea than spamming the comments with that dumb stick figure

Wish there was a way to mass transfer videos into a better website.

I think it's dangerous for popular websites to induce polices against the will of users while using "but all your favorite content is there" excuse.

Last edited Nov 18, 2013 at 11:47AM EST

>Maybe it's time to leave Youtube

Whoa there boy, I know this a JJ thread but come on let's be reasonable here!

Seriously, the only significant problematic change with Youtube right now is Google+'s forced integration, and only then it's applying to the comments, really.

Furthermore, while that's a bit irritating to say the least and the other additions and modifications aren't particularly liked all that much, Youtube is still perfectly usable.

Last edited Nov 18, 2013 at 01:07PM EST

Evilthing wrote:

Wish there was a way to mass transfer videos into a better website.

I think it's dangerous for popular websites to induce polices against the will of users while using "but all your favorite content is there" excuse.

there is no way but if every channel will do this, it might be long but very possible

Quantum Meme wrote:

>Maybe it's time to leave Youtube

Whoa there boy, I know this a JJ thread but come on let's be reasonable here!

Seriously, the only significant problematic change with Youtube right now is Google+'s forced integration, and only then it's applying to the comments, really.

Furthermore, while that's a bit irritating to say the least and the other additions and modifications aren't particularly liked all that much, Youtube is still perfectly usable.

Ah yes, usable. But then, that's not what is at issue, is it, Quantum? YouTube is perfectly usable, but so is Internet Explorer. The issue is that YouTube could be much improved, much better than it is currently. But why do people make such a big deal about it? You don't see a similarly vitalized group complaining of Internet Explorer's faults and demanding their correction. It's because when you become unhappy with IE, you just start using a different browser. And therein lies the problem.

When unhappy with YouTube, one does not simply choose a different video site. With a browser, it's easy to change and not notice any major differences in the experience. But most of what one experiences with YouTube is intrinsically tied to it. You cannot go to a different video site and expect to find all your favorite videos are also there. You won't find your subscriptions, your favorites, or your playlists. You just have to hope that you can find some mirrors/reposts that are of decent quality.

Of course, the primary source of fuel for all the backlash and complaining also serves to discredit it. The fact is, we've brought this monopoly upon ourselves. In the public consciousness, we made YouTube almost synonymous with Internet videos. It's "to google something" as a verb all over again. We are reaping the consequences.

BUT…just because we were only too happy to make this mistake, doesn't mean we shouldn't be allowed to correct it. I feel we absolutely shouldn't dismiss this thread out of hand. If I may, OP, I would offer a counter proposal:

Maybe it's not time to necessarily leave YouTube, but rather, it's time we created a proper YouTube-killer.

I'm still going to watch videos on youtube since the only acceptable rival to it is DailyMotion, and "Can't See Shit" video hasn't happen to me.

Supreme the Lurking Monitor wrote:

Ah yes, usable. But then, that's not what is at issue, is it, Quantum? YouTube is perfectly usable, but so is Internet Explorer. The issue is that YouTube could be much improved, much better than it is currently. But why do people make such a big deal about it? You don't see a similarly vitalized group complaining of Internet Explorer's faults and demanding their correction. It's because when you become unhappy with IE, you just start using a different browser. And therein lies the problem.

When unhappy with YouTube, one does not simply choose a different video site. With a browser, it's easy to change and not notice any major differences in the experience. But most of what one experiences with YouTube is intrinsically tied to it. You cannot go to a different video site and expect to find all your favorite videos are also there. You won't find your subscriptions, your favorites, or your playlists. You just have to hope that you can find some mirrors/reposts that are of decent quality.

Of course, the primary source of fuel for all the backlash and complaining also serves to discredit it. The fact is, we've brought this monopoly upon ourselves. In the public consciousness, we made YouTube almost synonymous with Internet videos. It's "to google something" as a verb all over again. We are reaping the consequences.

BUT…just because we were only too happy to make this mistake, doesn't mean we shouldn't be allowed to correct it. I feel we absolutely shouldn't dismiss this thread out of hand. If I may, OP, I would offer a counter proposal:

Maybe it's not time to necessarily leave YouTube, but rather, it's time we created a proper YouTube-killer.

Release the Vimeo?

Supreme has the correct answer

We all hate Facebook but you don't see anybody leaving that anytime soon because where else do you go for social networking? (No…no, not Google+)

You cannot jump a ship without first setting down at least a lifeboat.

Likewise, as much as the internet would love to punish Google for their insolence, nobody is leaving Youtube without first having a place to go.

We would need to support another video hosting site into providing what we do want or somehow start a new one.

Then after that, all Youtube casters will need to take their business elsewhere to this new location.

Hell if such a project even got started, Google might get frightened enough to actually listen to their user base and start changing things back to people's liking. But until then, we are all complaining about Googles cookies while still shoving our mouths with their cookies. They're gonna keep baking with that attitude.

For now I'm simply not ever using Youtube comments

Quantum Meme wrote:

Release the Vimeo?

And that's the problem – the two alternate services people have mentioned so far were more or less mentioned as jokes. Simply put, there is no Youtube killer. Youtube could be vastly improved, but it's established itself as the standard, the juggernaut of online video, and proposing a new service would pretty much always be received with "but Youtube exists" by the general public. The solution isn't really a killer at this point, it's a fixer. Youtube and Google need to be told that it isn't working and come up with an alternate solution that works for customers and content producers alike.

Twilitlord wrote:

And that's the problem – the two alternate services people have mentioned so far were more or less mentioned as jokes. Simply put, there is no Youtube killer. Youtube could be vastly improved, but it's established itself as the standard, the juggernaut of online video, and proposing a new service would pretty much always be received with "but Youtube exists" by the general public. The solution isn't really a killer at this point, it's a fixer. Youtube and Google need to be told that it isn't working and come up with an alternate solution that works for customers and content producers alike.

To add on to what Twilitlord said: it'd be like trying to get the entire world to switch from Google to another search engine. And yes, I know Bing has been trying to get people to switch, but look how successful that's been. The vast majority of people still use Google, at least as far as I know.

Twilitlord wrote:

See that was my point. While I said "Youtube is perfectly usable" I was also saying how it hasn't dropped in quality standards to the extent that we would really prefer to use the next best site over it.

The day that comes will be the saddest day in Youtube's history… to be honest.

I'm glad videos don't just keep loading because you left the page open or it would eat up my connection. As for the comment system, I don't see that anything wrong with it except the fact that it tries to integrate you into google plus.

i still dont understand.

why can't we migrate to either Blip, Megavideo, dailymotion and others? all what's needed is to rally the people…

it's hard but not impossible, esperically if large channels will spread the word.

we dont need a "youtube killer" we need a video hosting site that's accesible and not as terrible as youtube in its current state

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!