Forums / Discussion / General

232,911 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

Why hasn't there been a new KYM video?

Last posted Feb 24, 2014 at 07:13PM EST. Added Feb 22, 2014 at 11:08AM EST
14 posts from 12 users

You know, like the ones about minecraft, creepypastas, and rage comics, the ones with Forrest and company? They were funny and I'm kinda curious about what happened.

Muffinlicious wrote:

Actually, about the researchers, who are they? Do they have accounts here?

Yep, the researchers do have accounts. To my knowledge, they are Forest, Sarah, Rob and one more I do not know the name of and I don't think has an account. I believe the reason there is no more videos at the time being is due to an indefinite hiatus which I believe was caused by a few problems between them and the site. I can't say for certain whether they will ever come back, but maybe someone more in the know (maybe an admin) could tell you.

Twenty-One wrote:

Yep, the researchers do have accounts. To my knowledge, they are Forest, Sarah, Rob and one more I do not know the name of and I don't think has an account. I believe the reason there is no more videos at the time being is due to an indefinite hiatus which I believe was caused by a few problems between them and the site. I can't say for certain whether they will ever come back, but maybe someone more in the know (maybe an admin) could tell you.

My guess is they weren't racking up the views like they hoped, so they just decided to quit until an interest in memes spikes again. I also heard somewhere they were just too embarrassed by the videos, so they just quit without notice. Don't know what's true, but I wish someone would pick them back up.

I actually thought a year or two back about proposing WE do the videos, allowing each memeber to choose what they'd want to cover and then posting it on here to get final approval. Idk if the site admins would be okay with that or not though. I would totally go out and buy an embroidered lab coat and do one though. lol.

I get the bad feeling that the KYM video series is cancelled. The last episode was Pokememes Part II in early November, 2012. If KYM came back to life, the following should be covered:

Gangam Style
Grumpy Cat
Harlem Shake
Cringeworthy
Tumblr Memes
Doge
Video Game Logic

They actually did have some episodes planned at the time if I recall. It was really sudden when they stopped. I believe It was mainly due to the WSJ/Forest is boss debacle and the Homestuck episode to take a guess.

The Cute Master :3 wrote:

My guess is they weren't racking up the views like they hoped, so they just decided to quit until an interest in memes spikes again. I also heard somewhere they were just too embarrassed by the videos, so they just quit without notice. Don't know what's true, but I wish someone would pick them back up.

I actually thought a year or two back about proposing WE do the videos, allowing each memeber to choose what they'd want to cover and then posting it on here to get final approval. Idk if the site admins would be okay with that or not though. I would totally go out and buy an embroidered lab coat and do one though. lol.

As far as I know, memes have been on the rise lately, seeing as they're being printed on t-shirts and referenced by state senators. Is there anything we can do to promote viewership? Like advertisements or something? I know a lot of the Know your Meme accounts on tumblr and the like haven't been very active. The last tweet on Twitter was from 2012 I think. And I noticed that /r/knowyourmeme on Reddit (even if it is a circlejerk) only has like 4 or 5 posts. Maybe we could repurpose it for official business? But I do love your idea! I'd love to be able to collab with other users on meme videos.

The first series of episodes with Forest were made together with Forest's team and Cheezburger, these episodes were good and resulted in nice episodes like the MLP:FiM one and 60's Spider-Man. But after a while due to resources the episodes were left to just Forest's team. Quality related to the informative part went kinda downhill there, making the episodes less about informing the viewer and more about entertaining them, not with the best succes (*cough*Homestuck Episode*cough*).

Although the Pokemon episodes were well met, certain episodes before that lacked serious quality and resulted in negative reviews through that. There were also serious communication issues in which scripts were written without any overview from KYM's side, the fault there wasn't KYM.

So yeah, a combination of issues let to new episodes being put on indefinite hiatus. Their team lost the motivation and we were kinda disappointed with the quality of some of the episodes and the issues that arrised through each shooting.

And yeah, the Homestuck episode, that's one nobody wants to look back to. There's no way to talk around it; that episode was just extremely bad and a reason for quite some issues which lead to the current state of episode creation.

The Cute Master wrote:

I actually thought a year or two back about proposing WE do the videos, allowing each memeber to choose what they’d want to cover and then posting it on here to get final approval. Idk if the site admins would be okay with that or not though. I would totally go out and buy an embroidered lab coat and do one though. lol.

Amateur quality with webcam level shooting and mostly showing people trying to suck it up for the attention, and then calling that result "official episodes"? Think again.

Users were allowed to vote on what they would like to see covered, perhaps give some input of a script at most (don't bet on it), but nothing close to having users shoot the episodes.

Last edited Feb 24, 2014 at 04:35PM EST

There was like… 3 or so episodes done by the fans that KYM published. They where rather terrible. Little rehearsing (stuttering everywhere), little editing (filming the screen to get footage on the camera), and little lighting in most cases (closed window behind the talker I remember one time, along with the computer monitor so lighting balance was insanely dark). There was quite a freak out with that one so I think they took them down.

Personally, I would make this opportunity available again. BUT, I would also boost the minimum standards. The user in question doesn't have to be the best speaker, but they at least have to treat the project like a professional and Let Their Peers Review Their Scripts, Rehearse, Find Good Lighting, and Edit their Footage properly.

And it's not that hard or pricey guys:

2-3 Cheap desk lamps: $10 apiece.
HD Camera for Rent: Low End $34 for an entire week, but if you have a newer Iphone you just need a $20 tripod for it. Seriously, what family doesn't have any sort of modern camcorder or phone that goes up to 720p 30fps? Even if they don't they can borrow one from somebody they know.
Script: 1 Week including research, writing, revising, editing, peer review, and finalizing. Not necessarily in that order and looping at some sections.
Rehearsing: 3-4 days of active commitment.
Rounding up a friend or family member to be your assistant: A minute to ten. Also maybe $15 if you bribe a nice pizza.
Cleaning an indoor area to shoot at: No more than an hour.
Hygiene and maybe Costume: 15 minutes to 1 hour depending on how much of a Woman you are or are planning on being for the shoot.
Filming: Expect 4 hours for 5-10 minutes. Longer if you didn't rehearse in front of a mirror.
Editing software: Adobe gives you a free month trial to all their software.
Voice Enhancement Software: Audacity is free.
Youtube and Flash Downloader: Free and Plentiful.

If I get the time, I may make one just to put the other guys to shame. But that likely won't happen until this summer considering my amount of free time these days.

Last edited Feb 24, 2014 at 05:40PM EST

RandomMan wrote:

Amateur quality with webcam level shooting and mostly showing people trying to suck it up for the attention, and then calling that result “official episodes”? Think again.

Users were allowed to vote on what they would like to see covered, perhaps give some input of a script at most (don’t bet on it), but nothing close to having users shoot the episodes.

ahahahahaha

madcat wrote:

RandomMan wrote:

Amateur quality with webcam level shooting and mostly showing people trying to suck it up for the attention, and then calling that result “official episodes”? Think again.

Users were allowed to vote on what they would like to see covered, perhaps give some input of a script at most (don’t bet on it), but nothing close to having users shoot the episodes.

ahahahahaha

I don't know guys, I took four years of a video production in highs school. However, I don't think I'd have the funds to do it. I don't have an official-quality camera (better than webcam though), I don't have the ability to produce a set, and I can't really get good props other than a lab coat. I could write and direct a hell of a video though.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!