Forums / Discussion / General

232,905 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

Malaysia Airlines flight crashes in Ukraine

Last posted Jul 19, 2014 at 01:00PM EDT. Added Jul 17, 2014 at 12:27PM EDT
26 posts from 19 users

If it was in fact shot down, then regardless of whether it was a Ukrainian or Russian missile, there should be some extreme punishment for that. Shooting down a commercial airliner is so sick and twisted that I can't fully comprehend what kind of demented mind would do such a thing. If it wasn't shot down and was some sort of accident, then it's just painfully and tragically ironic that it's only months after MH370. I was going to say I hope there are survivors, but based on what I've read that's incredibly unlikely if not impossible given the altitude it plummeted from.

Son of a bitch, look at this.
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/489813136862887936/photo/1

Last edited Jul 17, 2014 at 12:50PM EDT

On British news, it was recently confirmed to have been shot down. A lot of blame is being placed on Russia for providing the Ukrainian rebels with advanced weaponry (it's already been previously confirmed that they were arming them with tanks).

This really is one of the most fucked up things I've seen lately, and why am I not surprised that Russia is involved again? Nobody knows where the missile was fired from – the rebels and Ukrainian government deny involvement, as do the Russians – but this isn't the sort of thing that can happen by accident. Somebody has a lot of blood on their hands. Hopefully this'll finally teach the Russian government that it's not okay to give advanced weapons to unstable people. You'd think they'd have learned this in Syria.

Last edited Jul 17, 2014 at 12:56PM EDT

Update: It's worth pointing out that a few days ago, a Ukrainian military transport plane was shot down by Russian or rebel forces. It was believed to have been taken down with something more substantial than a shoulder-fired launcher, and it's thought that this plane was taken down with something similar (it was flying too high for most shoulder-fired launchers). One idea is that perhaps the plane was mistaken for another transporter, and those responsible weren't aware it was a civilian jet. It's not like that excuses them, but at least it explains how such a thing could happen in the first place.

The Illustrious Reggie wrote:

If it was in fact shot down, then regardless of whether it was a Ukrainian or Russian missile, there should be some extreme punishment for that. Shooting down a commercial airliner is so sick and twisted that I can't fully comprehend what kind of demented mind would do such a thing. If it wasn't shot down and was some sort of accident, then it's just painfully and tragically ironic that it's only months after MH370. I was going to say I hope there are survivors, but based on what I've read that's incredibly unlikely if not impossible given the altitude it plummeted from.

Son of a bitch, look at this.
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/489813136862887936/photo/1

jesus christ. There's hardly anything left of it

TripleA9000 wrote:

jesus christ. There's hardly anything left of it

That's the thing. Plane fuel + Missiles/Artillery don't mix. I'd be surprised if sanctions aren't placed against Russia or Ukraine or whatever. That's gotta be one of the worst deaths.

Jersey Jimmy wrote:

Why in the holy hell would you kill civilians that aren't involved in the fucking conflict in the first place?! This is more upsetting than the "Parental Nightmares" part of Snopes.

A few reasons.
According to the Russian news network, a separatist group was attempting to shoot down Putin's plane, which is similar to the plane that was shot down. That could mean
1. Putin is telling the truth for once in his miserable life and it was a tragic case of mistaken identity
2. Putin is lying and he's trying to get people pissed at the rebels
Then of course there's the possibility that
3. It got caught in the crossfire of war and both sides are more or less equally to blame.'

Also @Fry too fucking soon man.

Last edited Jul 17, 2014 at 04:31PM EDT

Jersey Jimmy wrote:

Why in the holy hell would you kill civilians that aren't involved in the fucking conflict in the first place?! This is more upsetting than the "Parental Nightmares" part of Snopes.

I saw something on a British news channel a little while back. Some idiot in the region was bragging on a social networking site about how the rebels had shot down another military transport jet (he may have even been the one to do it). It's hard to say at this point, but I'm guessing this wasn't a deliberate act of terrorism. The plane was flying through a conflict zone, and happens to resemble the transport planes used by the Ukrainian army. I'd guess that this a tragic case of mistaken identity.

[though they really shouldn't have trying to shoot down jets in the first place, and definitely shouldn't have been given the capability to do so]

Last edited Jul 17, 2014 at 04:48PM EDT
Rebel leader Igor Strelkov acknowledged on his Twitter account that his forces brought down the Malaysian plane with a sophisticated surface-to-air missile, though Kennan Institute Director Matthew Rojansky said it could have been a mistake.

In the Tweet, translated from Russian by CNBC, Strelkov said, "We just shot down this plane--it's lying there somewhere by coal mine 'Progress.' We warned you, don't fly in 'our skies.'"

Sauce.

I got 1:1 odds that the Security Council does fuck all and they don't bring the matter to the General Assembly to bypass the Russian veto.

Last edited Jul 17, 2014 at 07:21PM EDT

This is all kinds of eerie and tragic.
This guy was just trying to make a joke but ends up dead.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/malaysia-airlines-ukraine-crash-passenger-3875681
The facebook post shows a transition from happy wishes, to denial, then mourning.

majesticspace (∩`-´)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚☆ wrote:

Reuters is stating that there were 23 Americans on board, as well as 4 French nationals.
As well, the plane was flying normally until it disappeared from radar.
This live flight tracking website lists its status as unknown. As well, you can see on the map its flight path ends near the Ukraine/Russia border.

There were at least 154 Dutchmen on board, which is more than half of the people on board.

Dutch news sites are currently filled with news about the crash due to that number, and will surely keep updating as well.

Last edited Jul 17, 2014 at 09:42PM EDT

>inb4 hat wearing mann's first thread when he gets back is saying this whole thing is a false flag operation or whatever

But seriously, this is fucking horrible.
With this and all the shit in Israel I hope we're not headed for another World War, there were a lot of people from a lot of different nations on that plane.

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

Nobody wants another world war, but this wont ease tensions in the Ukraine in the slightest

This is tragic and infuriating. Goddamit humanity.

Don't get infuriated too quickly though. Once people get mad like that, they start to demand the blood of whoever might be responsible, at which point the people will actually demand military action against Ukraine. It's then when you risk another World War.

Last edited Jul 18, 2014 at 05:58AM EDT

This is damaging to everyone, it lights up tensions in Ukraine even more, and Malaysia Airlines falls victim again. I think war is unlikely in this situation, but it will bring interest into the conflict.

TripleA9000 wrote:

those mother fuckers!

Ukraine says that about Russia, and Russia says the same thing about Ukraine. It's back and forth turd trowing, and they will make up lies if it places the other side in a bad spotlight.

You shouldn't believe any side until unbiased information is released, and are gullible if you do.

Last edited Jul 19, 2014 at 01:07PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!