Forums / Discussion / General

232,905 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

Monty Oum Memorial

Last posted Feb 06, 2015 at 02:44PM EST. Added Feb 02, 2015 at 02:29PM EST
22 posts from 20 users

RIP Monty. Much like Edd Gould with Edd's World, Monty is one of the few internet animators to actually hit it big with a series that continued to be updated, and much like how Edd's World continues to be worked on by the past friend's of Edd with love and dedication for what he had created, I hope the same can be done for Monty's work on RWBY.

I promised myself that I wouldn't cry in public. So I left class early. Then I texted my parents, letting them know that I love them.

I also linked this in the RWBY entry comments, in case anyone needed to talk.

Last edited Feb 02, 2015 at 06:22PM EST

GES280 wrote:

I've been trying to draw up an image to honor him , but I suck at drawing. If anyone wants to help, please reply.

That attitude is exactly what we need right now. They said it themselves:

"As for honoring Monty, we will do that in our own way. In lieu of flowers or gifts, we ask that you simply do something creative. Use your imagination to make the world a better place in any way that you can. If you know Monty like we do, then you know he would certainly be doing that if he were able to. "

Even if you do "suck" (very subjective values of "suck"), then start small. Draw a bullet with his signature on it. Then draw something else, just a bit more challenging. Draw that same bullet being fired out of Crescent Rose. Draw Ruby in the middle of a fight scene, using that same bullet. Everyone starts somewhere; so build up from it.

For a bit more specific answer, try holding your pencil by the eraser-end. This will make your lines much lighter, smoother, and easier to erase. Go back over it later and darken the lines you like with the same grip you use to sign your name.

mber7560 wrote:

I promised myself that I wouldn't cry in public. So I left class early. Then I texted my parents, letting them know that I love them.

I also linked this in the RWBY entry comments, in case anyone needed to talk.

You sure you're not taking this too personal? I know death is sad and all that, but public crying over internet animators yeah I dunno. Do that honoring thing if you want to show your respects I guess, nothing wrong with that.

RiP though. I liked his work so yeah sad to see him go.

Last edited Feb 03, 2015 at 03:56AM EST

RandomMan wrote:

You sure you're not taking this too personal? I know death is sad and all that, but public crying over internet animators yeah I dunno. Do that honoring thing if you want to show your respects I guess, nothing wrong with that.

RiP though. I liked his work so yeah sad to see him go.

He was the biggest role model of my life. The reason I got off antidepressants and focused on college. The reason I'm alive. And I never got the chance to meet him in person and say "thanks." So yeah, I'm a little torn up.

As far as honoring him, I broke out my drawing pad for the first time in a few weeks last night. Working the rust off.

monty from a fan perspective was a great animator and producer. rwby is amazing and all the work he put into it made it really something special. his works on rvb and rwby will never be forgotten. he seemed like a really great person and i admired him from afar. he just kept going and working hard. he kept moving forward. fandom, community, and family.

Such a sad day yesterday when I heard Oum die. I hope nothing bad happens to RWBY and that Rooster Teeth can find a successor to continue the series. The worst that could occur to RWBY is that Rin gets a new VA.

It's been a day since I heard the news, and I'm still shaken by Monty's death. A few days ago, I'd also been shaken up by Kitty0706's death. It's always extremely sad to see such young, creative people go like this.

Inferno wrote:

Fuck, now I feel bad for never watching RWBY.

BRB… fixing that horrific mistake.

You will unfortunately be left with an unfinished story though. Unless the continue it, which would be good to all the fans out there and would keep his memory alive.

That came out of nowhere, rest in peace.

Last edited Feb 03, 2015 at 11:25PM EST

Copied from my Facebook post:

R.I.P. Monty Oum. Apart from RWBY and Dead Fantasy, I admire you for your freestyling skills on Pump It Up.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!