Forums / Discussion / General

232,914 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

Emulator Games

Last posted Mar 03, 2010 at 07:52PM EST. Added Feb 20, 2010 at 07:39PM EST
42 posts from 17 users

I hate Emulators, they contribute to stealing things that me and my wife work hard on as mocaps and voice actors/actress. So I say to hell with them! If you use emulators I will kill you in your sleep.

@Memedude7737
Not always.
A lot of people who emulate wouldn't have gone out and bought the games in the first place.
Piracy is always done because of money.
And with many cases of piracy, they wouldn't even buy the games in the first place.
Also, since when do GameCube, Xbox, Gameboy, and Dreamcast games get made anymore?
Same goes with the other old consoles. Nintendo has Virtual Console and Sony has PS1 classics, but still, games like EathBound get pirated because nobody can find a copy, let alone one under 70 dollars.
(This does not mean that I support piracy)

Not sure if it will help but I'll try and clear up a few things:
Emulators aren't illegal, however possessing a ROM image of a commercial game you didn't pay for is. Even if you own a physical copy of the game, you aren't legally allowed to make or download a ROM image of the game. Nor is it legal to rip the ROM image from that game you legally own to use it with a emulator. If you do rip the game from your own physical copy they won't really have lost any actual or potential money. It's legal to run a emulator to run a game off of the physical copy you legally own.

Though legality varies from country to country.

As previously stated, it's perfectly legal to run homebrew games released under free licenses under a emulator.

I sez, fuck 'em. If I want to enjoy Nes games, then the only physical way for me to play them is on a emulator. If they want to start releasing the old nes along with all of it's games, moar powwa to them. But until then, emulator it is.
Now, I play final fantasy 9 on an emulator, but only because I lack a working copy. My old one just doesn't want to work on either my PS2 OR my PC.

(lol, though. I'm OP, but I baleeted my original post after watcher said it was illegal. didn't expect ppl to start off on this.)

Last edited Feb 22, 2010 at 07:52PM EST

What's you guises' take on ROMs in different languages?

Say, hypothetically, someone loves Pokemon and is also learning Japanese. This person has all the English versions of all the Pokemon games, but downloaded Japanese Pokemon ROMs for an educational purpose. Evil? Illegal? Rage-worthy?

Hey i got some facts idk if you care or not but, the guy who runs the website made his own emulator, however he uses hard copies of games. And you play it in your broswer no dowloads or anything. I hope that clears it up a bit. Sorry if i caused problems

Lets take for example system shock 2, its one of the best games of all time, and yet its hard to find, matter of fact its 10 years old, and most cd's are starting to deteriate from old age, so basicly what I am saying is that the only way to play it is to torrent it.

Which is EA's fault, they should be selling it on steam atleast.

Last edited Feb 23, 2010 at 06:42PM EST

I guess its just me. Ive always liked actually having a copy of games. I collect them in a sense and i would much rather be the person out there searching all over for that japanese famicom and the old MSX version of Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake.

I buy a lot of my games on steam, so I don't bother with all that crap.

Like I just bought fallout 3 on cd a few months back ,and some of the floor textures where missing, so some quest could not be completed, and dont blame my card, its a 9800 geforce.

K here's a bit about emulators and if they are illegalor not:
Using a emulator with non-commercial roms: Emulators and PD/homebrew roms are legal. Example: Using SNES9x to play PD roms.

Using a online emulator with commercial roms: Using a loophole in copyright laws, sites like vNES are legal since we have the physical cart.

Using a downloadable emulator with commercial roms AND having the original cart: Since copyright laws state that you can have one back-up copy of your game cart, you can play commercial roms legally provided you have the original media.

Using a downloadable emulator with commercial roms BUT missing the original cart: Illegal!
Cameo Yoshi
Hope that cleans things up. I do not support piracy!!!

Well since I got a -1 I am assuming not every one knows what steam is, heres a link to what steam is, completely legal.

heres a link.

http://store.steampowered.com/

Sorry for not replying, but yes it is, and I also think its owned by Ubisoft, but mainly by valve.

Last edited Mar 03, 2010 at 07:54PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!