Forums / Discussion / General

232,908 total conversations in 7,790 threads

+ New Thread

Did I just see what I thought I saw?

Last posted Feb 20, 2011 at 06:34PM EST. Added Feb 17, 2011 at 04:39PM EST
25 posts from 16 users

My brother Evan is watching Hole in the Wall on Cartoon Network, and it just said it was rated TV-14. WHAT THE HELL!!?? I knew that the channel has now been airing shows that had a TV-PG rating, but this? Previous episodes have also been rated TV-PG, but why is this certain one rated TV-14?

Cartoon Network's daytime programming has shown TV-14 shows before. It's not that surprising. Hell, they even moved the [adult swim] block to an earlier hour. So this isn't surprising at all.

Trick Lobo wrote:

Cartoon Network's daytime programming has shown TV-14 shows before. It's not that surprising. Hell, they even moved the [adult swim] block to an earlier hour. So this isn't surprising at all.

This isn't Adult Swim though. This aired like at 4:30, and I didn't notice anything that would make it get that rating. TV Guide even said that it was rated TV-G, so what the hell was with the TV-14 appearing?

Adam DeLand wrote:

This isn't Adult Swim though. This aired like at 4:30, and I didn't notice anything that would make it get that rating. TV Guide even said that it was rated TV-G, so what the hell was with the TV-14 appearing?

TV Ratings can change depending on the content of the episode itself. There are episodes of South Park that are rated TV-14, while others are rated TV-M. However, the show of South Park still keeps the TV-M rating. Episode rating and show rating are actually two different things and most shows nowadays only display the rating for said episode. As long as the network approves of the episode, it will still get aired with the TV-14 rating despite the TV-G rating of the show.

EDIT: As for [adult swim], it is still a programming block on Cartoon Network. The channel doesn't all of a sudden change its name because it's now showing the adult programming block. Furthermore, keep in mind that previous Cartoon Network cartoons used to have a TV-Y7 rating at the highest. Now a good handful of their newer shows boast a TV-PG rating.

Last edited Feb 17, 2011 at 06:17PM EST

Trick Lobo wrote:

TV Ratings can change depending on the content of the episode itself. There are episodes of South Park that are rated TV-14, while others are rated TV-M. However, the show of South Park still keeps the TV-M rating. Episode rating and show rating are actually two different things and most shows nowadays only display the rating for said episode. As long as the network approves of the episode, it will still get aired with the TV-14 rating despite the TV-G rating of the show.

EDIT: As for [adult swim], it is still a programming block on Cartoon Network. The channel doesn't all of a sudden change its name because it's now showing the adult programming block. Furthermore, keep in mind that previous Cartoon Network cartoons used to have a TV-Y7 rating at the highest. Now a good handful of their newer shows boast a TV-PG rating.

I know all of that, but the point is that a jump from TV-G to TV-14 is extremely dramatic.

Adam DeLand wrote:

I know all of that, but the point is that a jump from TV-G to TV-14 is extremely dramatic.

Really? You knew some of that? Part of it was complete bull.

Anyways, it is dramatic, but not unheard of considering how what determines what rating is such a blurred line.

Adam DeLand wrote:

I know what you mean. If you take todays rating system and apply it to movies of the past, even "the Wizard of Oz" would have a higher rating because of the violence. But on the same note, in the past the studios would control what can and can't be shown. You can read all about it here
< http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_Picture_Association_of_America_film_rating_system >

Last edited Feb 17, 2011 at 11:47PM EST

Lord Doctor Captain Professor Metallica wrote:

What about Nickelodeon? Have you ever watched Ren & Stimpy?

Yes. I don't understand the point you're making.

Katie C. wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hole_in_the_Wall_Gang

That reminds me of a Darwin Award.

Some burglars attempted to use a welding torch to get through a door. Normally, this would have been a fairly good idea. But, the problem with their plan was that they were trying to break into a warehouse that stored Fireworks. They succeeded in getting through the door and (unsurprisingly) the whole warehouse blew up.

The Police gave them the nickname “The Hole in the Ground Gang.”

who cares?
1. Its dumb
2. If you're on this site you are probably over 14
3. Is that rating gonna make you stop watching it if you do like it
4. What are you seriously watching on cartoon network?

DrDope wrote:

who cares?
1. Its dumb
2. If you're on this site you are probably over 14
3. Is that rating gonna make you stop watching it if you do like it
4. What are you seriously watching on cartoon network?

1. He did say "My brother Evan is watching Hole in the Wall on Cartoon Network"
2. He had a valid question
3. You have a clapping pony as your avatar = )
4. Cartoons are fun to watch no matter how old you are

Last edited Feb 20, 2011 at 06:42PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!