Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,712 total conversations in 9,943 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured
Bionic's Piano Playing Thread

Last posted Aug 31, 2013 at 05:45PM EDT. Added Jul 19, 2013 at 08:56PM EDT
44 posts from 16 users

After seeing drawing threads, I got the idea of making a piano playing thread. Instead of making requests for drawings to be made, I can get requests to quickly learn short things on the piano (by ear.) The videos may take longer to be posted because of learning and uploading. The only "rules" are:
1. Try to pick a piece of music with a very small amount or no percussion in it, because it would be easier for me to learn a piece like that by ear.
2. Try to pick a piece of music under 2 minutes in length so I can quickly learn it and upload it to YouTube.

Right here, I embedded a video of me playing the boss battle theme from Final Fantasy IV.

Actually, change my mind.
Could you possibly do the Dire Dire Docks melody?

It breaks the 2 minute rule (it's 3 minutes), and it gets a bit percussiony near the ending, but its a good melody o.o

Kyntak wrote:

Actually, change my mind.
Could you possibly do the Dire Dire Docks melody?

It breaks the 2 minute rule (it's 3 minutes), and it gets a bit percussiony near the ending, but its a good melody o.o

A couple mistakes, but I added my own ending. I improvised a bit.

I may not work on all of these in order but I will try to learn them all, so if I learn someone elses request before yours, it doesn't mean that I'm not learning yours.

Well this is certainly a new and interesting take on the request threads. I'm liking it.

Since I drew that pic of Smithy for you, could you please try and play the song Sunafukin no Tabidachi from Tanoshii Moomin Ikka when you have the time?

It's a relatively simple melody, so you'll have a lot of room for improvisation, as long as it has got that airy and mystic feel to it.

Here's also another version of the same song, in case you want more reference to help you out.

UPDATE
@Muumi I am almost done learning your piece.
@HolyCrapItsBob I am memorizing the left hand part and yours will probably be done after Muumi's
@Ann Hiro & Natsuru Springfield I will start working on yours after.
@Intergalactic Joe I will see if I can learn one of yours even though both of them have a lot of percussion.

Muumi wrote:

Well this is certainly a new and interesting take on the request threads. I'm liking it.

Since I drew that pic of Smithy for you, could you please try and play the song Sunafukin no Tabidachi from Tanoshii Moomin Ikka when you have the time?

It's a relatively simple melody, so you'll have a lot of room for improvisation, as long as it has got that airy and mystic feel to it.

Here's also another version of the same song, in case you want more reference to help you out.

I added my own ending. Sorry about my dog barking at the end.

Sorry about taking long to upload pieces of music. I was really busy. I have a piano recital coming up and I need to learn some music before I get there.

UPDATE
@Captain Douglas J Falcon I will learn yours first because I already know the piece's melody. It won't take long.
@Natsuru Springfield Your piece might be a little too long.
@HolyCrapItsBob I'm almost done learning your piece, but it might take me a while to make a recording that isn't too sloppy.
@Ann Hiro I will learn your piece after.
@The Frosty Lich I will learn yours after Ann Hiro's. It probably won't take me that long because I, for the most part, already know the melody.
@TARDISES Your piece is a little too long.
@Alex Mercer I will probably learn yours after Ann Hiro's. Can you notify me about when the opening part ends in the video so I know what to learn?

Thank you very much for playing that song. Honestly, I was surprised when I saw/heard that you actually played the left hand parts without improvising too much, I think they must’ve been pretty complicated to play together with the right hand parts. It’s something I can’t do very well myself, or at all.

Good work.

I’d love to see you play at least one other song, so do tell when it will be okay to make another request without it being too obnoxious.

Thanks again.

Captain Douglas J Falcon wrote:

I'd like to see Mute City done.
If this doesn't float your boat, feel free to pick another track.

I just noticed that the ending is just as long as the theme itself.

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

I think I played it a bit too fast.

I may not be able to upload between August 2 and August 11. I have an event to go to. It's, you guessed it, about playing piano. Here's the link to the website: . This is also why I was taking a long time to make these videos. Before August 2nd, I needed to learn some music that I am still working on, so I didn't have a lot of time to work on these, but after, I will still make videos.

Today is my last day on the site for now. I will be back by August 11. I'll probably continue this thread when I get back. I apologize if I disappointed anyone.

Last edited Aug 02, 2013 at 09:14PM EDT

Brilliant topic! Brilliant musician! Give me one good reason why this doesn't deserve to be Featured!

If it's alright with you Bionic, I'd like to request a song too. It's Fear of the Heavens, the main theme of Secret of Mana. It's one of my favorite VG themes.

Here you go!

Last edited Aug 21, 2013 at 05:23AM EDT

Jostin Asuncion wrote:

Brilliant topic! Brilliant musician! Give me one good reason why this doesn't deserve to be Featured!

If it's alright with you Bionic, I'd like to request a song too. It's Fear of the Heavens, the main theme of Secret of Mana. It's one of my favorite VG themes.

Here you go!

It wasn't featured?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!