Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,828 total conversations in 4,533 threads

+ New Thread

Weekly Workshop: North Korea

Last posted Apr 19, 2013 at 06:12PM EDT. Added Apr 11, 2013 at 09:02PM EDT
9 posts from 9 users

Yes, North Korea is a nation-state (inb4 notameme). But considering its undisputed status as the ultimate troll nation of the international community, an increasing presence in social media and our past coverage of North Korea-related memes and personalities, would it be reasonable to document North Korea as an emerging online subculture, focusing on the Western outsiders' fixation / obsession / fetish with the secretive country and its people?

Thoughts?

Last edited Apr 11, 2013 at 09:03PM EDT

As you said, Western outsiders are at times completely obsessed with the country. It is no doubt that this has given it the nickname "Best Korea" on the internet. Its actions regarding threats are common targets of mocking and both its former and current leader are without doubt internet celebrities (Kim Jong Un winning person of the year and sexiest man).

So yes, the country is without doubt worthy of mention the site in my personal opinion. But to raise the question: Is it a subculture? It has a fan following, generated memes and content, is a common topic of discussion and mock. It feels a bit weird tbh, but I cannot think of a different category where it would fit under. It's simply the number 1 reality series at the moment.

On point you brought up however was the Western obsession with the secretive country and its people. Outside of the grorious reader, I don't believe the country itself nor the people living there are common topics of interest. Online attention is mainly given to either single people (mainly the Kim Jong's) and events (missle threats, person of the year polls, Biebs to NK), not directly to the country itself. It's like a fandom not interested in the story, only the funny content produced by the internet.

In comparison to this you can take the US, which is without doubt the most well known country in the world for various, not always positive, reasons. But likewise to NK, the main attention is given to people (Obama and other policitical figurs), events (numerous), or for example extreme patriotism. The latter we covered through entries about slang terms like 'Murica and America: Fuck Yeah, but not in an entry about either the country or extreme patriotism.

So if you are going to cover North Korea as a country, you have to start questioning if the US is worthy of coverage on the website. Given the notability of the country and its repuation (not only on patriotism, but also other topics like weight issues), I can put reason behind covering the US. After that though you quickly need to draw a line imo.

Last edited Apr 11, 2013 at 09:54PM EDT

I was raised with the myth that commies eat babies and it wasn't true at all.
The later, all media tell me how evil are ALL MUSLIMS, against, it wasn't true at all.
And now, from nothing, North Korean are pure evilness.

SHEEEEEEESH.

If they actually succeed in any hostile action against the US, they'll be a boiling puddle of radioactive goo shortly thereafter. After that people will probably lose interest and start preparing for China's invasion of Alaska and America annexing Canada.

Not a meme or a subculture, just a dumbfounding country.

if north korea decided to actually start taking offensive actions against america or south korea, this "meme" of them would die quickly considering how NK lacks any resources to last a war against SK and his "big brother" america, but i digress, i think korea is getting to be the star of the internet show and worthy of some mention ,lets just see how much it last

Why do we have to go to war? Why do so many North Koreans, who are probably starving to death while the politicians and Glorious Leader continue to assume the shapes of bowling balls in suits, suffer for the sake of Fat Boy's ego?

For the sake of the North Korean people, I hope Doughboy dies of heart disease before he can drag his afflicted people into World War III.

Honestly, I think that North Korea as a similar entry tag will suffice. It doesn't really deserve an entry. And I agree with RM's post; if an NK entry were to be created, it would be hard to draw the line. Because next would come the US. Then Japan. Then the UK. Etc.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!