Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Notable Pony Memes

Last posted Jun 14, 2011 at 08:56PM EDT. Added Apr 25, 2011 at 12:55PM EDT
51 posts from 15 users

I Wub Woo could probably get its own entry. The video trailers like Ponycraft should probably get their own entry too (thanks to Yosef Yonin for suggesting that).

Also, I've yet to add "Cupcakes" because I'm unsure how to approach NSFW stuff on a SFW article, and I'm not sure it has enough derivatives to merit an article of its own, seeing as how it's, for the most part, a reaction type thing. People reference the Cupcakes fanfic, thread derails in disgust, etc. Still, it really does need to be featured. It's spawned some fanart, EVERY brony knows about it, and it gets referred to almost as often as some of the common phrases.

Another submeme, TOOT, I'm still researching. I know the origins, someone was kind enough to offer me a screencap of its first usage, and I know how it's used. The only thing I'm missing is its spread. I've kinda stopped checking 4chan since ponychan's buildup, so I don't know if TOOT is prominent enough to be featured. Has anyone else seen it outside of Ponychan?

Also, Secret Butt Fun, Fluttershy=Tree, and Big Macintosh's "Eeeyup" have been brought up. Just wondering what everyone else thinks about their inclusion.

Also, reminder to self, add "Oatmeal" to article when it isn't so late, it's early. Confound these yadda yadda, insomnia blah blah blah, you know the drill.

I found this image to be mighty interesting:

Never really thought about each episode individually having its own memorable quotes and images but here I stand corrected with a compilation of specific fads/memes/memorable moments from every single one of 'em. Maybe you could extract some article ideas from it.

Oh yeah, there's also this thingamabobber right here. I think it deserves some love of its own:

MDFification wrote:

Cupcakes could be one…. if there was a Cupcakes article, could somepony summarize what happens so people don't have to read it if they don't want to? I could find that, so I read it … 0_0

TV Tropes has a good summary.

A rather notorious fanfic of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. It goes like this….

Pinkie Pie invites Rainbow Dash to a party and offers her a cupcake. The cupcake is drugged, and Pinkie drags her down to a special torture chamber. Pinkie shows off her special dress made out of cutie mark skin, and her necklace of unicorn horns. The dress also has several Pegasus wings on the back. She then proceeds to horribly mutilate Rainbow Dash for several paragraphs. The worst part is that Pinkie never changes attitude. She still has the constant bubbly air about her, and she keeps referring to the event as a party. The final torture before Rainbow Dash finally bleeds out is cutting off her lower half and playing with all her organs. Fun stuff like wearing the intestines as a necklace. Then Silver Spoon wakes up in the same dungeon, unsure of how she got there. Just before Pinkie does anything, Apple Bloom steps out of the darkness and reminds Pinkie that she was going to take care of this one. The final line of it is something along the lines of "Who's the blank-flank now?" Read it here.

KawaiiMelon wrote:

TV Tropes has a good summary.

A rather notorious fanfic of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. It goes like this….

Pinkie Pie invites Rainbow Dash to a party and offers her a cupcake. The cupcake is drugged, and Pinkie drags her down to a special torture chamber. Pinkie shows off her special dress made out of cutie mark skin, and her necklace of unicorn horns. The dress also has several Pegasus wings on the back. She then proceeds to horribly mutilate Rainbow Dash for several paragraphs. The worst part is that Pinkie never changes attitude. She still has the constant bubbly air about her, and she keeps referring to the event as a party. The final torture before Rainbow Dash finally bleeds out is cutting off her lower half and playing with all her organs. Fun stuff like wearing the intestines as a necklace. Then Silver Spoon wakes up in the same dungeon, unsure of how she got there. Just before Pinkie does anything, Apple Bloom steps out of the darkness and reminds Pinkie that she was going to take care of this one. The final line of it is something along the lines of "Who's the blank-flank now?" Read it here.

Okay, so here's a list of what's been mentioned so far and my thoughts on what to do with each. I'd like to start up these entries soon, but if any of the entry moderators would like to chip in their two cents before I do, I'd like to hear where they stand on whether or not some of these deserve an entry of their own.

*I WUB WOO/Rainbow Dash Face
Very prominent. I'd say every bit as prominent as Fluttercry, possibly more since it's been around longer. Worthy of its own entry I'd say.

*MLP Trailer Spoofs
Could possibly stay on the main entry, but there are so many videos, it may be beneficial to give them their own page.

*Cupcakes
Infamous, wide-spread acknowledgement in the bronyverse, and people are STILL talking about it. I've been on the fence about this one for a while, but I think it's definitely spread enough and been around long enough to merit an article now.

*TOOT
I know this started on ponychan, but I don't know if it's on 4chan pony threads cuz I haven't checked 'em in a while. If anypony here has heard TOOT mentioned outside of ponychan, ESPECIALLY if it was on a big memetic hub like 4chan, let me know.

*Secret Butt Fun
I've heard this referred to several times, but there aren't really derivatives of image macros or anything. Just a catchphrase. There's an article for it, but I personally believe it would be best as an addition to the main article under "common phrases" due to the fact that it's just a quote without derivatives.

*Fluttershy=Tree
People refer to Fluttershy as a tree sometimes, jesting in reference to a quote from the episode, "Over a Barrel." Like Secret Butt Fun, I think this should be added under the main article.

*Big Mac's Eeeyup
The most commonly repeated line from Big Macintosh, quoted in place of yes. Another common phrase.

*Oatmeal (you are so crazy)
I meant to add this a while back, but I didn't because the page caused some serious lag on my laptop. I don't know what the problem is, so I'll just go back and try again for now. Other meme pages were working fine, though, so I cleaned up the DJ-P0N3 article a bit. If you guize wanna check it out and leave me some feedback, I'd appreciate it.

*AEIOU
This already has an article, but it was made nearly a year ago, but only caught on with bronies about a month or two ago. I don't know if it's a sub-meme of MLP, or just another meme that's really popular in MLP's fanbase.

*Pinkie Pie is Watching/FOREVER
Lots of derivatives like Fluttercry and I WUB WOO. Could use its own page.

*Pinkie Shrug
Yes, absolutely. I've seen this everywhere! Needs its own article I'd say.

And I'd like to add for consideration:

*Trollestia
Referring to Princess Celestia's occasional troll-like behavior on the show, as well as in comics. Also, depictions of Princess Celestia as a tyrant could be added under this.

*I Watch It For The Plot
A joke referring to accusations that people only watch the show due to sexual attraction to the characters. The quote is often added onto close-ups of the casts flanks.

Lastly, WTF is THIS shit?

(congratulations if you actually read that all)

Well, I tried to keep it under wraps until I actually got some work done on it, but apparently everypony already figured out I started up the WHY WUB WOO page. Big surprise for me when I find out it's in the trending bar with nearly twenty comments. So much for avoiding being +1 work spammed.

FYI, I have no attention span, so I have to work slow. I'll probably start off the other entries as stubs/placeholders at first, too. So +1 plz don't rush me, this is just how I do things. k, thx

Yeah "I watch it for the plot" doesn’t have enough spread to have its own page.
But I think that the pony shrug needs something its pretty popular!

Last edited May 09, 2011 at 09:02AM EDT

Actually, I've talked to this with Don already, but hopefully soon we'll be able to allow a single image to be in the galleries for several meme entries. It would really help to clean out the image database.

But by all means, go ahead for now. When the time comes around, we'll get rid of duplicates and whatnot.

Last edited May 10, 2011 at 12:46AM EDT

Can I work on the Trollestia page? I already started it and didn't realise that this forum was here. I was going to make it a "Trollestia / Tyrant Celestia / Molestia" or just name it "The Faces of Princess Celestia." I already found the origin for Molestia but I'm not sure of the exact dates and places for the other two. They both kinda originate from the show itself.

My thoughts for "I watch it for the plot" are that it really isn't that big. It did get a mention from FryinthePan on /co/ though, so I'm not to sure. I would have to say that it's not as big as the others though.

For "TOOT" I haven't seen that anywhere except ponychan. I was on /b/ and /co/ last night for a good 3 to 4 hours and didn't hear a single TOOT.

Also I think that we need to add a "Flutterrage" too. This popped up from the last episode and is trending pretty fast. Here is the template:

Last edited May 10, 2011 at 07:25PM EDT

Nopony else has started a Trollestia page. I say go for it! Tyrant Celestia and Molestia are both worthy of a mention, but I don't know what would be most appropriate to call it if it were inclusive of all her different interpretations. Just stick with "Faces of Princess Celestia" for now. You can always change it later if need be.

Actually, Kreoss said it on his deviantart account, not FlashinthePan. Unless BOTH referenced it, or if it's the same guy (pardon my naivety if so; I've only just discovered Kreoss yesterday). Either way, I still agree that it hasn't spread enough to merit coverage. Definitely worth keeping an eye on, though, just in case it develops more and catches on.

As for flutterrage, give it time. It's only been a week since that episode aired. Let's see if it can stay popular, first.

Hey, I was trying to write an article on the Pony shrugs, but I don't really know much about it's origin. Do you guys think it's notable enough that it should have its own article?

That wasn't too hard. actually i'd have to check if that was the first one. I know the template is used on ponychan on the pinkie pie theme. and it is used around a lot, so idk…lets see what a couple of other users say. I'll get them in here.

Last edited Jun 05, 2011 at 11:08PM EDT

Definitely not the first, but a good lead on where it started. I remember this one was created because the first Derpy one had normal eyes. (I lurked for about three months before deciding to join. :) Huh, I guess I should have checked Deviantart. There's several spinoffs of this as well, such as Insane Pinkie, and Derpy clapping. Maybe these should be lumped into one article. Still, I don't want to bother writing an article if you guys don't think it's notable enough.

Last edited Jun 06, 2011 at 01:35AM EDT

That's the insane pinkie one I was mentioning. There's been a few spinnoffs of this one too:

And this one:

Strange… It seems like the more I look into this, the less I want to write about it.

Derpy Hooves wrote:

I say make the article on Shrugpony and have the Insane Pinkie Pie one and the clapping gifs as Derivatives of the shrugpony.

Seconded, although I propose naming it "Pony Shrug" rather then Shrugpony.

Just call it "Shrugpony / Pony Shrugs." The others aren't really shrugs though. More like emoticons. Pony-cons?

Okay, what we know so far:

It was started on Deviantart by a user named MegaSweet back in January. We have at least three derivatives, and the meme mostly consists of recolorizations of the same pony templates. Generally the recolorizations are characters seen in the show, but there's been a few custom ones as well. What else?

Last edited Jun 07, 2011 at 07:49PM EDT

Arcadian wrote:

Just call it "Shrugpony / Pony Shrugs." The others aren't really shrugs though. More like emoticons. Pony-cons?

Okay, what we know so far:

It was started on Deviantart by a user named MegaSweet back in January. We have at least three derivatives, and the meme mostly consists of recolorizations of the same pony templates. Generally the recolorizations are characters seen in the show, but there's been a few custom ones as well. What else?

I think "Pony-cons" would work, so long as we state that Shrugpony/Ponyshrug was the original content and the others derived from it.

Ok, so Pony Shrug Has a lot of the other reaction images in it. Should we make it just a reaction image page, because that is not very mematic. If we are going to include "Oh U" we might as well include rainbow dash saluting, twilight's crazy face, and apple jack appearing on things. (pics below) "Oh U" doesn't even have a lot of derivatives like these. Of course now that I think about it, Rainbow Dash saluting and Apple Jack appearing on things almost need pages to themselves.

Also I'm bringing flutterrage back to the topic. Has this spread enough like Why Wub Woo has?

And last but not least (for shits and giggles). This…

Last edited Jun 10, 2011 at 09:37PM EDT

What about Doctor Whoof/Whooves

Not only is it supported by the bronies but the Whovians who love him.is one as well I've seen SO MUCH fan art and that video that just came out on the page. Will definaly get people talking.

He's also seen with Derpy so it would not only support Whoof But also the Derpy Meme as well

I've only seen a couple of dr. whooves that didn't include derpy. Idk, if you guys want i could just expand the section where we talk about whooves on derpy hooves. its not really a derivative, but he appears with her so much it might work.

@Xelus- pony (just click on it. I dares ya.)

I think thats a good idea… it could be like a menton of the charater without him being left out without Whoofs own meme page. Hes just the same as Derpy except hes got a fan base of a show (That isn't MLP) behind him.

I would know, I am one of them XD Im sad to say there is no Doctor Who memes (I went looking wondering if we could stick Doctor Whoof on there)

He could be big enough for his own page but since we have all these sub memes we are still working on to become comfirmed it might get hard to handle yet ANOTHER page.

A mention of the pairing between Doctor Whoof and Derpy could at least get him into the possible meme spotlight for later. (I just saw a wedding image between the too and it was Fantastic! Had Dinky too x3)

So thats my thought on the matter.

Last edited Jun 12, 2011 at 04:36AM EDT

I was thinking that adding an "Other notable background ponies" section on the Derpy Hooves article might be interesting. Lately, I've been seeing more and more background ponies popping up in photos like Dr. Whooves and, more recently, Lyra.

i do belive it became a meme, at least among the youtubers.

MLP:FiM is very often reffred as "THE MANLIEST SHOWS EVER!!!" many comments in youtube like that have a lot of thumbs up, ill give you an easy example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJKnonQEFEA

just look the the top rated comment, you'll see what i mean.

i do belive this needs to be edited in the MLP:FiM meme page to something like "the show is ironically reffered to be one of the manliest shows ever made as an inside joke at the fact that he show was targeted at pre-teen girls"

so whadaya say?

can I get help researching the trollestia stuff. I'm just about ready to publish it, but I need more facts. like when it originated and the spread. i've got the stuff for Molestia, and a little for tyrant celestia, but trollestia is severely lacking.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!