Forums / Maintenance / Report Problems

27,708 total conversations in 1,732 threads

+ New Thread

Sticky Sticky
Salvaging the Reaction Images Gallery II

Last posted Sep 22, 2019 at 09:32PM EDT. Added Jan 29, 2017 at 06:26PM EST
10 posts from 6 users

Talks about this have been going for a little while. Some of you may recall the old thread Deltamelon made. Basically, it's the same concept. Reaction Images was a problem, so it was locked. However the lock was kinda a split decision among the mods, and many who were for lock either have softened their opinions, or have since left. As such, I felt it was time to give it another go.

First and biggest point: There are multiple galleries on Know Your Meme, and what largely lead to the lock. The gallery was being treated as a "catchall" for everything. As of right now, there are over 30,000 images in the gallery. Other, more relevant galleries with fewer images were often outright ignored. Additionally, things that no one could ever really consider a "reaction" were defended by people who posted them because they wanted people to see it. To help deal with this, there are a few basic rules (these will be posted on the upload page as well).

• Do not upload examples of memes we have full entries for to the Reaction Images gallery. Please keep them to their own respective gallery.
  • If the image is from a specific subculture, character, or person that we have a full entry on, please try to upload it there and not to the Reaction Images gallery.
  • Do not reupload images from elsewhere on the site to the Reaction Images gallery.
  • Please try to use the "Reaction:X) tagging system when uploading Reaction Images, both in the Reaction Images gallery, and site wide. Reaction Images should show a specific emotion or feeling. They should not be something that can only be used in extremely rare cases. Feel free to suggest new reaction tag types in this thread.
  • If text is present in the image, please use this text as the title or add it in the notes or the tags of the image so people can find the image using the site's search engine. (this is just a general guideline site wide)

*(Site wide rule:) Please keep all KnowYourMeme Meta images to the Know Your Meme Gallery.

(because embedding uses lots of characters, I'm going to need split this up among two posts or so. Locking thread so I can make sure to get second post with reaction tags near the top of the page.).

Last edited Jan 29, 2017 at 06:59PM EST

This should be considered an evolving list. Please PM me if there is a notable reaction that is not present. I will be more than happy to expand on what is "intended" by each tag, but generally, checking the images already used under that tag will give an idea of what the tag should be used for.

Initially the tags were planned to use no spaces around the colon (so "Reaction:X, not Reaction: x). Both styles will should up if you just type "reaction x". However, that's not the case with tags:("reaction:x") and tags:("reaction: x"). However, considering the huge number of images still without any tags whatsoever, it would be better to focus on those.

Reaction:Fuckyou
Reaction:Faget
Reaction:OMG
Reaction:WTF
Reaction:Shock
Reaction:Horror
Reaction:Wat
Reaction:Scared
Reaction:Nervous
Reaction:Tired
Reaction:Sad
Reaction:Yes
Reaction:Yay
Reaction:Joy
Reaction:Thanks
Reaction:Cheers
Reaction:LOL (this should probabbly be merged with laugh)
Reaction:Laugh
Reaction:wrong
Reaction:Wink
Reaction:GTFO

Last edited Feb 02, 2017 at 10:27AM EST

Reaction:No
Reaction:Nope
Reaction:Stop
Reaction:Disapoint
Reaction:Awe
Reaction:Awesome
Reaction:Epic
Reaction:Why
Reaction:Rage
Reaction:Suicide
Reaction:Anger
Reaction:Pleased
Reaction:Blush
Reaction:Seriously?
Reaction:Tears
Reaction:Kill
Reaction:Annoyed
Reaction:Love
Reaction:Smile
Reaction:Taunt
Reaction:Lewd
Reaction:Disgust
Reaction:Celebrate
Reaction:Daw

This list can be consolidated, expanded upon, or explained with further elaboration. I would also consider it incomplete for the time being, as I know new tags were created (some of which should probably be merged). [three posts may be too much but I wanted to be certain that I would have plenty of space to expand on things]

well hopefully all of us, me included, learned our lesson from the old gallery.

but what of the clean ups and moving everything to their better suited gallery? will they all stay there for now or will some people be willing to spend the time to switch some of them every day?

Last edited Jan 29, 2017 at 07:00PM EST

SaturnSL1 wrote:

Can we have Raichu back?

It wouldn't really make a lot of sense to use an image for an entry that would violate what are the present rules of the gallery as the logo for it. However, I am open for suggestions on something else for the logo. I just used a picture that is what I think of when I think "Reaction Image".

'lo! You must login or signup first!