Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,713 total conversations in 9,943 threads

+ New Thread

Why Are Potato Chips So Delicious?

Last posted Feb 01, 2012 at 05:26AM EST. Added Jan 28, 2012 at 04:48PM EST
43 posts from 25 users

Because some people who have a lack of salt or what ever the potato has in it has a large amount of it inside of the product, which can be addictive if your body needs it and don't have enough of what ever it is the body needs to survive on.

Fridge wrote:

I prefer baked chips. Better flavor, and healthier too.

Wow, that really sounded like an ad. Sorry.

Me too. As in, baked potato chips.

Mmm. Baked potato chips….

See Ric Tesla.

Also, chips are made to be addictive. They're easy to open and eat. Not like an orange or pecans.

There's also a theory that humans are attracted to high energy foods, because it offers a huge payoff. The fats in chips make them high calorie foods. Whatever you can turn to fat, you can use later. But the energy outside of your body can always be taken, deteriorate, run away, etc. And so you want to eat it when you have it.

And I think they're fun to eat. They're crunchy, they come in lot of fun flavors, and there are a lot of them (at least a couple dozen) in each bag, so you can repeat the process a lot in one sitting.

A combination of a lot of payoffs with little effort. "Perfect" food. Except for the kill ya part.

Last edited Jan 29, 2012 at 02:28AM EST

Verbose wrote:

See Ric Tesla.

Also, chips are made to be addictive. They're easy to open and eat. Not like an orange or pecans.

There's also a theory that humans are attracted to high energy foods, because it offers a huge payoff. The fats in chips make them high calorie foods. Whatever you can turn to fat, you can use later. But the energy outside of your body can always be taken, deteriorate, run away, etc. And so you want to eat it when you have it.

And I think they're fun to eat. They're crunchy, they come in lot of fun flavors, and there are a lot of them (at least a couple dozen) in each bag, so you can repeat the process a lot in one sitting.

A combination of a lot of payoffs with little effort. "Perfect" food. Except for the kill ya part.

Ahhh, but it's not the taste that actually brings us back to eating it.
For example:
When someone has an overdose on heroin, comatose, he's basically gonna die, doctors inject him with a special drug that blocks the immune sensors in the brain, causing him to wake up. If doctors give that same drug to a, lets say a chocolate addict, that is basically shoveling chocolate in, you find the most amazing thing. The person looses most of their interest in chocolate. They will take one bite and put it back down. In other words, it's not addiction that makes you coming back for the food, it's actually a drug effect in the mind.

Chris wrote:

>mfw I can only eat potato chips if I also eat them with ketchup
>mfw ketchup flavored potato chips are sold everywhere but in the United States.

Trust me, they taste like shit.
In Australia, we have Vegemite flavored chips.* VEGEMITE FLAVORED!!!*

Chris wrote:

>mfw I can only eat potato chips if I also eat them with ketchup
>mfw ketchup flavored potato chips are sold everywhere but in the United States.

They have ketchup flavored chips in the U.S., I've had some….

Last edited Jan 29, 2012 at 08:15AM EST

Nikolaki8 wrote:

Ahhh, but it’s not the taste that actually brings us back to eating it.

Granted, not all of it. That's what the points about it being a high calorie food, it being simple to obtain and eat, and other factors were for.

There are plenty of things that taste good. But in addition to that, there is a physiological desire for food that is high in energy. Once you feel satisfied after eating that, you return to the source, sometimes regardless of the taste. But if that source appeals to other senses as well, then it becomes even more desirable.

There are also some slightly addictive drugs in chips, but that's just my guess. I have no proof on that.

Verbose wrote:

Nikolaki8 wrote:

Ahhh, but it’s not the taste that actually brings us back to eating it.

Granted, not all of it. That's what the points about it being a high calorie food, it being simple to obtain and eat, and other factors were for.

There are plenty of things that taste good. But in addition to that, there is a physiological desire for food that is high in energy. Once you feel satisfied after eating that, you return to the source, sometimes regardless of the taste. But if that source appeals to other senses as well, then it becomes even more desirable.

There are also some slightly addictive drugs in chips, but that's just my guess. I have no proof on that.

You pretty much said it. It's the sugar in the chips. If you look at the menu at McDonalds and see what everything is made of, everything there (expect the water) has sugar in it. The salads are have more fat than a Big Mac. In conclusion, it's cheap food that keeps you full for a while with loads of addicting elements.

For more information on this, "Super Size Me' would be a great movie to watch.

Nikolaki8 wrote:

Trust me, they taste like shit.
In Australia, we have Vegemite flavored chips.* VEGEMITE FLAVORED!!!*

WTF? I'm from Australia too and I haven't seen any 'Vegemite chips' and if they do exist, three words: WORST. FLAVOUR. EVER.

Why do people even like Vegemite, or the UK equivalent Marmite, in the first place?

User Name wrote:

WTF? I'm from Australia too and I haven't seen any 'Vegemite chips' and if they do exist, three words: WORST. FLAVOUR. EVER.

Why do people even like Vegemite, or the UK equivalent Marmite, in the first place?

Limited edition.
Source

Nikolaki8 wrote:

Limited edition.
Source

I looked at the source…

VEGEMITE CHIPS ACTUALLY DO EXIST?!

Even worse, the article you linked me actually had comments praising the chips…
…WTF?

Last edited Feb 01, 2012 at 03:45AM EST

User Name wrote:

I looked at the source…

VEGEMITE CHIPS ACTUALLY DO EXIST?!

Even worse, the article you linked me actually had comments praising the chips…
…WTF?

Honestly……………………don't ask…………….it hurts…………

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!