Forums / Discussion / Serious Debate

14,083 total conversations in 681 threads

+ New Thread

Why does conversation and general discourse on this website seem impossible to have, now?

Last posted Mar 23, 2024 at 04:46PM EDT. Added Mar 16, 2024 at 08:53PM EDT
9 posts from 7 users

I feel like most of this website's users don't really want to have conversations about anything. They find it more "fun" to seek out whatever random thing tickles their fancies, comment on it with some nonsense, and then disappear for a couple hours or longer, only to show up and do it again. And I don't really understand that. It feels like there are people here and more like the website's infested with bots, and it's sad to see that because I don't think this place was like this a couple years ago.

In my personal opinion I think it's just how the website's UI is set up. There is no site notification system like what other social media have, and you have to manually check to see if someone responded to you or not. (Unless you're checking your email constantly or something.)

Yes, I'm aware most forums used to be like this. But I think most people are very used to the social media notifications that they're not going to be constantly checking their comments anymore. People are lazy. And even newer forums have implemented notification systems.

Also, are you a long time lurker or something? Because it said you joined only 5 hours ago.

Zigzagoon wrote:

In my personal opinion I think it's just how the website's UI is set up. There is no site notification system like what other social media have, and you have to manually check to see if someone responded to you or not. (Unless you're checking your email constantly or something.)

Yes, I'm aware most forums used to be like this. But I think most people are very used to the social media notifications that they're not going to be constantly checking their comments anymore. People are lazy. And even newer forums have implemented notification systems.

Also, are you a long time lurker or something? Because it said you joined only 5 hours ago.

Yes, I've been a lurker on this website and others for quite some time. I wanted to get a feel of what certain websites are like before making accounts on them. As for that part about people being lazy, you, unfortunately, aren't wrong. It's pretty apparent with the way people write their statements; people online don't seem to take the time to properly spell their words and structure their sentences, and have no problem just leaving their comments full of errors, never trying to edit them.

I suppose that's just the writer in me nitpicking, but if people unable to do something that small and quick doesn't show how lazy people are these days, I don't know what would. And that doesn't even get into the people who just reply to comments with either "k" or "ok".

Adam DeLand wrote:

I guess that's why comment sections are more active; you get notifications for those, but not forum posts.

Personally, I like the forums more because it's easier to see when specific threads had someone comment on it (and you can see who), and it's less clicks to get to the forum than a specific entry when it's no longer trending.

But that's just personal preferences.

Luzno Lindo wrote:

Yes, I've been a lurker on this website and others for quite some time. I wanted to get a feel of what certain websites are like before making accounts on them. As for that part about people being lazy, you, unfortunately, aren't wrong. It's pretty apparent with the way people write their statements; people online don't seem to take the time to properly spell their words and structure their sentences, and have no problem just leaving their comments full of errors, never trying to edit them.

I suppose that's just the writer in me nitpicking, but if people unable to do something that small and quick doesn't show how lazy people are these days, I don't know what would. And that doesn't even get into the people who just reply to comments with either "k" or "ok".

Regarding errors in spelling and sentence structuring, I utterly hate those and try my best to avoid them. It drives me nuts when my comments initially look okay-ish but then I notice that there's a missing word or some other garbage. ESPECIALLY when I actually took the time to try and make it look as neat as possible.
Which is why I hate the fact that you can't edit comments, and also the fact that you get only 30 minutes to edit OR delete forum posts. The latter in particular is super annoying.

This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

blank profile pic wrote:

Regarding errors in spelling and sentence structuring, I utterly hate those and try my best to avoid them. It drives me nuts when my comments initially look okay-ish but then I notice that there's a missing word or some other garbage. ESPECIALLY when I actually took the time to try and make it look as neat as possible.
Which is why I hate the fact that you can't edit comments, and also the fact that you get only 30 minutes to edit OR delete forum posts. The latter in particular is super annoying.

Yes, it can be an agonizing experience. That's why I'm glad I'm as meticulous as I am when writing, from comments online to entire stories. It may make me look lame to care about something that small, but I'd rather use this as a chance to better my skills as a writer, than be like so many others online who haphazardly write their comments and constantly fail to get their basic points across.

The forums might be what you might be looking for, but time has run its course and this place is a glacier compared to back then.

I never made the effort to stick around KYM since there's more fruitful places with more specific interests I can talk about elsewhere. Seems so many others have moved on too, or at least moved to Discord staying with the community.

Cronus wrote:

The forums might be what you might be looking for, but time has run its course and this place is a glacier compared to back then.

I never made the effort to stick around KYM since there's more fruitful places with more specific interests I can talk about elsewhere. Seems so many others have moved on too, or at least moved to Discord staying with the community.

Yeah at least the forums here there is a chance to have an actual discussion, elsewhere it's not really consistent. As of late it has usually been ms.fortune that has been making alot of forum posts.

I feel like I could contribute more but news about current events spread very fast nowadays on other media outlets and posting here sometimes feels like just talking about something people already know about.

Last edited Mar 23, 2024 at 04:51PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!