Forums / Media / Video Games

38,605 total conversations in 2,698 threads

+ New Thread

Greatest Games of All Time

Last posted Apr 18, 2015 at 05:38PM EDT. Added Apr 03, 2015 at 08:24PM EDT
33 posts from 28 users

Alright, memefriends, listen up. This thread is the OFFICIAL documentation of every game that should be in the G.O.A.T. conversation. To kick things off:

For me, it was either this or Underground 2 for "best Tony Hawk game". In the end, this won out because of many factors, including the perfect difficulty (revert to string together combos introduced, but no walking or transfers to escape bails), god-like soundtrack, and for being the very first PS2 game I ever played.

Last edited Apr 03, 2015 at 08:25PM EDT

Well I'm obviously going to have to go with my favourite game of all time aren't I, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

As well as having an imaginative setting with a fantastic use of it's paper gimmick, it just has solid gameplay. The rhythm mechanics the Mario RPGs are known for is downright perfect here, and the whole audience set up is incredibly unique and is used in creative ways. The game's chapters offer a lot of variety of story and setting and never feels repetitive, partially because the great levelling system makes grinding non-existent. Also, The soundtrack is one of the best in video game history and I will hear nothing to the contrary. By far the best game I've played.

When talking about the greatest games IMO, I can never choose just one. I always mention them being Chrono Trigger for the SNES, and Gunstar Heroes for the SEGA Genesis/Megadrive.

Most of you probably already know all about Chrono Trigger.

Great story, great characters, even greater music, awesome graphics for SNES, really good turn based combat system, several different world maps due to time travel, no random encounters, and it has multiple endings. I'm sure I missed something, but since CT has so many good qualities, I find it difficult to just list all of them.

Next is yet another hidden gem from Treasure. Gunstar Heroes is definitely one of the, or maybe even THE best game released on the SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive.

But what is it that makes Gunstar Heroes so good? To be honest, I can't just think of straight list of stuff that's good, since there's a lot of really good qualities. The combat system and controls are sharp and responsive, there are two different firing mechanics to suit your playstyle, 4 different weapon types which you can combine freely together in pairs of two to make tons of unique weapons, the level designs are widely varied, the boss battles are awesome, and to top it off, you can play through the entire game in co-op mode.

Pretty much every single thing that is in this game, could have been the carrying gameplay element of another game, if that makes sense.

My opinion may be affected by nostalgia, but eh, who's isn't.

For one thing, Sonic Adventure was a fresh take on the Sonic series. It was Sonic's first true 3D platformer. However, many more factors than these makes Sonic Adventure my favorite game.

First of all, this was the first mainstream Sonic game to contain cutscenes with dialogue. This allowed the game to build upon a much more complex story than what was achievable with the classic Sonic games. I particularly liked how they managed to tie in the individual character's stories with the main plot. The story of Dr. Eggman (I mean, Robotnik of course) gathering the Chaos Emerald for the purpose of bringing a chaotic water monster to full power was well told. At the same time, each individual story was interesting in its own right (except for maybe Big. I agree with SomeCallMeJohnny that Big served literally no purpose except to slow down gameplay. I mean, they had to give him a plot device (Froggy) to make him relevant to anything at all in the game). Big cats aside, the storytelling was excellent, and they managed to tie into each other nicely.

Secondly, the gameplay was fantastic. I believe this was the game that introduced Sonic's homing attack, and it's a really useful move in Sonic's new 3D environment. Sonic's levels were designed to be fast, and I think Sonic Team succeeded in this regard. Tails's levels are similar to Sonic's in that they rely on speed, but Tails adds his own abilities to the gameplay (his flight) which helps separate him from the speedy blue hedgehog. Knuckles's treasure hunting mechanic, while different from Sonic and Tails, was enjoyable in its own right. Amy's gameplay wasn't focused as much on speed but more on solving puzzles and avoiding E-100 Alpha (Zero) (and I admit, weilding the Piko Piko Hammer was pretty darn fun). E-102 Gamma was interesting because he brought a new style of gameplay to the series (a style which unfortunately was emulated in Shadow the Hedgehog to a new extreme), and that was the ability to shoot enemies. And this is more story-related, but I particularly liked the idea of one of Eggman's Robotnik's robots going rogue. And finally, we come to Big… yep. For some reason, Sonic Team thought high speed fun and treasure hunting wasn't enough, so they decided to add another mechanic: fishing. As a kid, I actually enjoyed the fishing levels, if for no other reason than that they were challenging. In fact, I'll admit that I don't find Big's levels completely useless. However, I can see how people would think that Big's gameplay adds nothing of real value to the game, and I admit it gets pretty repetitive, considering that's also how he fights the boss of his storyline. Yes, you read that last bit correctly. He fights Chaos by fishing. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely a challenge, but fighting Chaos 6 by fishing isn't as fun to me as, y'know, actually fighting Chaos 6.

And finally, we've got the music. This game has one of my favorite soundtracks ever (and this is the part probably most affected by nostalgia). The music was memorable to me, and it fit whatever situation the characters were in. The stage music could go from laid back to high speed adventure, and from natural beauty to mechanical mayhem. The characters' themes fit their personality (even for Big. His theme portrayed his more laid back nature pretty well). Even though "E.G.G.M.A.N." wasn't introduced until Sonic Adventure 2, Robotnik had some pretty darn good music in its prequel.

And that about sums it up. From its storyline to its gameplay, and finally the music, Sonic Adventure has managed to remain in its #1 spot to me after years of experiencing other incredible games. I believe that this is the best installment of the series (followed extremely closely by its sequel), and I say that it is definitely a Sonic game worth playing.

Last edited Apr 04, 2015 at 08:04AM EDT

There is nothing that I like more than these two games. One of them offers many different approaches to any given situation with the best fps level design ever. Making every playthrough showing something new and interesting never seen before. While the other offers amazing hack n' slash-fps gameplay with a really well paced story and progression,

Completely agree with Wreck-Garrett. Jedi Outcast was the fucking shit.

Even after playing dozens of games the same genre (including Doom and Half-Life 2), I still think that this is the best FPS of all time.

Also, Sonic '91.

Final Fantasy 9 always gets shoehorned from the spotlight by Final Fantasy 7, 6, 10, and 4 when it is undoubtedly the best among them. An intriguing story combined with excellent characters and some overall downright beautiful themes, FFIX needs so much more love than it gets. My only complaint is the abysmal final dungeon.

Metal Gear Solid 4. The depressing, nostalgic, and utterly amazing romp through the Metal Gear Universe. Many loose ends were tied with this conclusion, and the moments tugged at the heartstrings as brutally as possible, with the overall feeling of the game being the Grand Finale of Solid Snake's journey. To say it is absolutely incredible is an understatement, and I await the day I can finally fully play it myself.

Xenoblade Chronicles is, in a single word, mesmerizing. This game, for me, brought me back into RPGs after the genre seemed to go stale. This game has among the best soundtracks, the best combat, and the best story I've seen in years. And I cannot wait to experience it in full myself.

Sonic Adventure 2. What has been said about this game that hasn't been said before? The gameplay is absolutely impeccable, the speed, for its time, is stupendous; this game was a generation ahead of its time! This game is a cornerstone in many people's childhoods for a good reason.

For me there are two games that fight for my number one spot, Super Mario Bros. 3 and Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest. For this post I'll slide with Diddy's Kong Quest, as it expanded on everything that Donkey Kong Country started and actually made it worth it to find all the secrets that were hidden away in each level to reach the actual final boss. You also gotta love that amazing David Wise soundtrack that just pushed the limits of the SNES's sound chip.

Now let me tell you a touchin' story

But It ain't a proper story without a proper beginning, It's supposed to have a ol' fashioned beginning.
Now here's a game, not a fancy one, It ain't AAA or nothin' top like the rest. It only has art, soundtrack and heart, something that most games seem to lack nowadays. In spite of being overshadowed by the rest, this game still gives you feels..real feels that hit ya deep, the feels that stay 'til the next morning and make ya think of what you've done.

Alright, now that I'm done imitating Rucks' Godlike voice,,Bastion is number one on my list, on top of Half Life 2 and many more. The gameplay is awesome, every level is unique and very different from the rest, the soundtrack is awesome and the story mode..my god, the fucking story mode. Seriously, if you haven't played this game, buy it like NOW on steam. And remember, one day that wall is gonna fall.

Last edited Apr 04, 2015 at 06:41PM EDT

Minty wrote:

Rhythm game champion comin' through.

Patapon 3 was honestly my least favourite of the three. There were just so many new features and getting rid of the squads of patapons made it so I could never get into it. I think 2 was the best because it fixed the problems I had with the original, though the original had a better story.

Erin β—•Ο‰β—• wrote:

I loved everything about this game, especially the atmosphere and story.

Well, if you're going to mention Fallout 3 as a "greatest game of all time", then these two games need to be mentioned:

Without those two games as well as this one:

We probably wouldn't have modern RPGs in the way that they are presented to us: characters that have actual personalities, choices that have real consequences in game, meaningful interactions with the game world, and several other things (including the romances in BG2 coming back in every single Bioware game since it. Whether or not that's a good thing is up to you). The impact these three games have had on RPGs is tremendous.

So many favorites for me, yet none can beat…

Metal Gear Solid 3.
One of the few games that can tug your heartstrings and by the end of it, make you cry manly tears. Where even with it's flaws, it still manages to be one of the greatest games of it's time. It gives some development to Big Boss, whom before that was only known as an antagonist. We get to see what changed his views from that of a patriot to one that began his( somewhat slow) start of darkness. Gameplay wise it introduced a new mechanic into the franchise, camouflage, which has been a major gameplay aspect ever since. It also did away with a few features to, like the radar. Aside from the different time period reasoning, it also brought on the added suspense of constantly being on your toes. They also did away with the infinite suppressor which made the game much more easier in previous games.It's also not without it's comedy with the various radio conversations between Para-Medic and Big Boss about the various things he can eat (or try to). The biggest thing to me though is near the end where the game forces you to press the button on one of the saddest moments in the games history.

Celestia Ludenburg wrote:

There is nothing that I like more than these two games. One of them offers many different approaches to any given situation with the best fps level design ever. Making every playthrough showing something new and interesting never seen before. While the other offers amazing hack n' slash-fps gameplay with a really well paced story and progression,

Good choices

Also

Mafia
We except GTA 3 then got something better. For me, this game just perfect (music, characters, the atmosphere, missions), even with the race mission. Oh boy… the race mission.

Give me a sandbox game that is more pure fun than this one

>Pro tip You cant

I honestly think that Just Cause 2 might be the best sandbox game of all time, simply because of how well it achieves the definition of 'sandbox'. Fuck around, blow shit up and have fun. Does it really need anything else?

I never hear this game mentioned at all. When you talk about 007 games you usually hear GoldenEye, but in my eyes Nightfire is the best James Bond game ever made. Great plot, good graphics for its time, well designed non-linear levels, incredible multiplayer – The only downside to the game was how short it was (But to be honest, I don't think it even needed to be any longer)

I know this just came out, but fuck me if this isn't the best city builder game I've ever played. I think its even better than SimCity 4.

To be honest I'm sick of writing entire essays about my favorite games, so I'll just make it a list this time. Basically the list I put on my wall.

1) Xenoblade: Just complete perfection. I was subconsciously waiting for a game like this to come my entire life and from the first 5 minutes of the game I could already feel the game was going to be one of my all time favorites, and after spending more time on it, it ended up being number 1. Just magical.

2) Metroid Prime 2: Before Xenoblade this was my number 1 and I've gushed over it countless times. Just the plot and the atmosphere and the marvelous gameplay make this the work of art that it is.

3) Zelda: Skyward Sword: This is the first game that I played which gave me that magical feeling. My childhood was filled with shitty games usually based off of movies and I had only played 2 or 3 good games before Skyward Sword, but Skyward Sword was the first one I felt was a work of art. This game may get a lot of hate, but it was my first Zelda game and still my favorite.

4) Metal Gear Solid 3: It's really hard for me to pick which MGS game is my favorite since they're all crazy good. MGS3 I just like more because I feel the gameplay was the strongest in this game than say, my 2nd favorite MGS game, MGS2. However, MGSV's gameplay has proven to be fantastic with Ground Zeroes so if that game ends up being great it'll probably take my top spot.

5) Terraria: I can't really explain why this is one of my favorites. There are lots of games I could substitute in for this spot but I choose Terraria every time for some reason not even I am completely sure of. I guess it just helped me out during an emotional time in my life and I've had hours upon hours with it. It may not be a masterpiece in my opinion as I see the other games on my list, but I just think it's fun, and in the end, fun is what matters in games.

NFS Hot Pursuit 2 (PS2 version):
Probably the BEST NFS game ever made. The graphics are gorgeous it's better than the PC/GC/Xbox version, the gameplay is freaking AWESOME when you play as a cop your car has N2O other versions didn't have it, the physic is a bit better the cars rarely fishtails, it also features 1 extra track (The desert track) other versions didn't have it.

Last edited Apr 07, 2015 at 09:09PM EDT

The Human Element wrote:

NFS Hot Pursuit 2 (PS2 version):
Probably the BEST NFS game ever made. The graphics are gorgeous it's better than the PC/GC/Xbox version, the gameplay is freaking AWESOME when you play as a cop your car has N2O other versions didn't have it, the physic is a bit better the cars rarely fishtails, it also features 1 extra track (The desert track) other versions didn't have it.

1 more thing I forgot to mention, it has the BEST soundtracks ever.

1. Fallout: New Vegas

I really enjoyed this game. It's fun, it's almost perfect, I also think that this game is better than Fallout 3 for having a fuck-ton of mods and having some really funny and like-able characters

2. Team Fortress 2

One word: HATS

3. Half-Life 2

Great story, great graphics for it's time, great characters, a bit of mediocre gameplay though, great and fun puzzles, and HORRIFYING Ravenholm level. I DEFINITELY enjoyed this game.

4. PAYDAY 2

Some people don't really treat this game as something that's good because of it's DLCs.
But I enjoy playing it with friends and strangers, and is a pretty decent shooter.

5. Half-Life 3

I have got nothing to say about this. It's just great!

Last edited Apr 08, 2015 at 05:43AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!