Forums / Discussion / General

233,655 total conversations in 7,805 threads

+ New Thread

Asking for help for the Know Your Meme Iceberg"

Last posted Nov 24, 2021 at 01:14AM EST. Added Nov 10, 2021 at 09:37AM EST
29 posts from 15 users

So there is this meme about icebergs tier lists
I decided to make one variation dedicated to this website, if you know something that is worth to post into the tier list then you can reply about it in this thread, but you must also show an explanation for it. Here are some ideas i already
have:

Surface: Super Robo Jesus
Shallow waters: Poochyena

Any idea is welcome!

I recall there was a infamous KYM user by the name Hyperborea Odyssea Hackeron who was arrested for conspiring to commit a mass shooting. This was several year ago, but I think it certainly merits a mention near the bottom.

Add "Poochyena succesor", there has been a lot of talks and jokes about who will be or who is the next poochyena (its me btw, I am the succesor of Poochyena ask the discord but that is besides the point)

(reply to pinkiespy – goat spy)

I think "locked galleries" are the forbidden galleries, right?

I do not really get how twicane could fit into this. Seems like just another meme entry like the rest. Care for some explaining?

Think you could make the text a bit brighter? At least underneath the iceberg, because some entries are pretty hard to read.

Also, Herculoon, KYM's NFT controversy, KYM getting into Library of Congress, Emergence/Metamorphosis Trending, Calculator Fetishist and Pickle Rick April Fools.

I’d add Encyclopedia Dramatica, Pachirisu, Arcanine, Forced Memes, Don being in the clear/sky level, Deadpool’d, GamerGate and how we were seen as a neutral ground to talk about it, Soyjak spam, that time an ex user here was arrested in connections to a public shooting or planned public shooting and maybe this fucking meme

Also maybe change the font color to something a bit more bright. It’s hard to make out what anything is said in the darker parts of the picture.

Last edited Nov 11, 2021 at 12:05PM EST

(reply to Mr. Plankton)
Can you elaborate on the NFT controversy? I searched for it but i only found one about Sega's controversy

(reply to Derptastic Derp Man)
I know about Pachirisu and Arcanine. I decided to merg them into "deactivated kym users named after pokemons" along with Poochyena because there seems to be alot of them.
Is the public shooting about Hyperborea Odyssea Hackeron?
That yellow emoji meme appears on alot of other websites so i dunno.

TOMNICE wrote:

(reply to Mr. Plankton)
Can you elaborate on the NFT controversy? I searched for it but i only found one about Sega's controversy

(reply to Derptastic Derp Man)
I know about Pachirisu and Arcanine. I decided to merg them into "deactivated kym users named after pokemons" along with Poochyena because there seems to be alot of them.
Is the public shooting about Hyperborea Odyssea Hackeron?
That yellow emoji meme appears on alot of other websites so i dunno.

Oh, I'm referring to the Doge NFT auction. Minted by the OG creator and officially authenticated and curated by Know Your Meme. Which didn't had the best reactions by the community.

Honestly, there is so much I would change…

First, while it isn't always the case, general rule of thumb is the more recent it is, the higher it should be, as more people were actually around to remember it. Obviously, there are exceptions (KYM-tan grew in popularity, Lez and Eypc, despite being gone for years, hold a fairly high place in the community memory)

Soyjak spam and "another wojak" should be way near the top.

I don't know that "locked galleries'" as a whole merits a mention, just some specific ones, like Cringeworthy and the Childhood ones.

Modern Don is at the top, but you should put Gorilla munch Don in there too, but much lower.

It's not just RandomMan, but his edited MLP Angel Bunny avatar. That, along with BSoD's BSoD pony OC like, have tags on Ponibooru. It should also be lower.

Do that many people really remember "Lucina's So Cute"? Like, it was popular at the time, but I don't many who made an account in the past two years would really have any idea about it.

Spambots should be near the top. The Korean Spambots are more appropriate at that depth, probably even a bit lower.

Belle Delphine's gallery should maybe be at the waterline. It's not really that interesting, old, or obscure.

Seriously, not to be rude but uh… like if that's what you're putting down at the bottom, you're going to need to double the depth to start even getting into the stuff I'm thinking of… Jamie Dubs, Riff Raff Suspensions, Mare breathing in Ammonia, Muffinlicious thought to be a girl, Mare being a Nazi (ironic), Comments before direct replies to comments were a thing, Mare being a Nazi (unironic), Blubber's Epic Brony Sniper Rifle, Advance imposters, Mod Loli looking like Bieber, Brorangutan, The internet can now find stars, the really obscure KYM-tan cast members, CAMOWAM.

TOMNICE wrote:

(reply to pinkiespy – goat spy)

I think "locked galleries" are the forbidden galleries, right?

I do not really get how twicane could fit into this. Seems like just another meme entry like the rest. Care for some explaining?

There are locked galleries.
There are locked entries
There are perma-locked entries
and then there's what the admins try to bury deep down so no one ever finds them

And twilicane was a coke-fueled shitpost fest that coincided with peak pony. It got weird man.

I really like the idea, but TBH this needs a lot of work.

First of all, I'd suggest starting with a bigger background picture. Look at the gallery – most examples of the meme have items expanding deep into the darkness below the bottom of the iceberg. This not only helps expand the scope of the image, but also helps with readability, since the iceberg itself is taking up a smaller percent of the image. Right now, the text isn't very readable. I'd suggest picking a bolder font, and perhaps using a white text color for the upper tiers like a lot of the examples in the gallery do. And also, what's up with these frames around words?

But what needs work the most is the content. The order feels all wrong to me, things should get more obscure and weird the deeper you go. For example, Dr Cortex, who gets posted almost every other week nowadays, should be higher than something like "Ah, so cute!" which you rarely see anymore. Furthermore, some of the items feel either redundant or too generic to include, IMO, like "Unknown origins of some memes" or "Unavailable YouTube videos in entries".
On the other hand, like Jill says, there is a lot of really obscure stuff missing, which is usually the beefiest and most interesting part of these memes. Take a look at her Expaning Brain meme from another thread. I've been here on-and-off for 7 years and even I'm unfamiliar with quite a few things there. My earliest memory of local KYM lore was Lisa Lombardo's Facebook comments – I'm surprised that she isn't on the Iceberg yet.

So… yeah, not a bad start, but lurk more. Look at the links to similar threads above, you can find some interesting stuff there. Off the top of my head, I would also suggest for your consideration to add Japanizing Beam, Photoshop contests, the removed navigation bar on mobile and /qa/ raids (I think that was a thing?). And also, perhaps more of the joke conspiracy theory types of items like "Celebs have KYM accounts"?

(reply to baldarek)
I use frames around them because i tought it is easier to recognise where the entries start and end. So it does not seem like two entries merge into one.

(reply to Jill)
I looked at you expanding brain meme but the problem is i do not know the names for them. So please answer me.

(reply to everyone)
Is this ok?

Last edited Nov 12, 2021 at 05:08AM EST

TOMNICE wrote:

Here is a preview. Opinions?

Suggestions:
-Add "Derp" Gallery Trending somewhere near Doctor Cortex
-Move Poochyena higher
-Add Super Robo Jesus and Time To Killed People

I faintly remember that in the early years of KYM, users have the ability to customize their profile page by changing their background and using autoplay on videos ant ect., few years later with the website overhaul, the ability to edit the page are gone and every single pfp page have been reset to normal.

Here's this image for example

Put it around near "Comments before direct replies existed on KYM", or much lower, because im sure only very few active KYM users including a few old mods that joined KYM before 2012 know this. Add it as "Custom profile scripts"

Last edited Nov 23, 2021 at 10:43PM EST

MLP being the top image gallery for years. Can't remember exactly how long, but it was like that for a long time.

God I remember the times when the MLP gallery was beaten by something else, the users would celebrate by posting a screenshot of the gallery that beat MLP. I can't find the image RandomMan made but it really was Know Your Meme's biggest fap fuel at the time.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!