Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,926 total conversations in 572 threads

+ New Thread

Publicizing Contests

Last posted Jul 29, 2016 at 07:30AM EDT. Added Jul 28, 2016 at 10:17PM EDT
3 posts from 3 users

Lately I've noticed the KYM design contests haven't been garnering much attention lately, getting 10 or fewer replies after being frontpaged before the announcement gets buried. I think a link to the contest should be put somewhere for the whole period on the main page (possibly an addition to the right-hand links) so people can see it and get to it more easily.

A quick answer is simple enough.

The contests' popularity depends on the topic as well sometimes. The simpler the idea, the more ideas it will probably gather. If I present everyone with basically an as-good-as done template, I'll get a ton of replies. But if it actually requires folks to whip up their photoshop skills, only the skilled folks will think up something good. For example the Five Pieces of Exodia contest was very popular, because you only need to fill in images in the template.

But I wish to mix things up, so sometimes I do something simple, sometimes something a bit more difficult or creative. Gives everyone a chance to shine.

The fact that it's frontpaged every week is already pretty sweet, and certainly gathers attention. Next to that we often also throw it up in the top site bar (I can see if I can get it there more often), and I'll redirect to it in the entry. The last one is most effective in new entries, but it helps regardless.

The contest refreshes each week, as most of our users should know by now. So if they're interested in checking out if there's a new contest, just check the Creative board on the forum. I always feature only the newest contest, and let the old ones autolock in case some people want to still get replies in.

I think a "permanent" spot might be a bit too exclusive for something I techincally just whip up each week for fun. But the idea is appreciated.

Last edited Jul 29, 2016 at 07:30AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!