Forums / Media / Video Games

38,602 total conversations in 2,698 threads

+ New Thread

Enough of Remasters

Last posted Nov 17, 2021 at 12:03AM EST. Added Nov 12, 2021 at 03:53PM EST
15 posts from 13 users

Just a rant. Am I the only one who's tired of remasters?

Is the mainstream gaming industry so creatively bankrupt that the best they can come up with are remasters of classic games which are only made to feed on the nostalgia of a now middle-aged target audience?

The worst thing of course is when they make the original games unavailable, such as the original Dark Souls, Warcraft III, or, more recently, the GTA 3D trilogy. If you want to sell a remaster of them, fine, but removing those timeless classics and offering us a skewed remake as replacement makes me livid.
Do it as CA did with Rome Total War; sell the remake and continue to offer the unadulterated original.

No one cares if the originals' graphics are aged and they have some rough edges, they're a product of their time, after all, and its part of these games' charm. Perfect is the enemy of good. Don't mess around with a masterpiece, you'll just smudge it. Don't remove things you deem inappropriate for the current year or tack on some useless shit. These classic games are great as they are and should be preserved in their original state.

I would love a paper Mario, super paper Mario and/or Paper Mario: thousand year door remaster but otherwise I agree with you what is it with media companies, not wanting to make original shit anymore? look at Disney as well!

I'm good with remasters as long as they're done well. For example Skyward Sword HD keeps the core of the original intact while also addressing some of the more common complaints (like having a non-motion based control scheme for people who want or need it). GTA Trilogy looks like a big mixed bag to me. On one hand it does keep the feel of the originals intact while modernizing one area that did age poorly in GTA3 and VC specifically (the wonky aiming system), but on the other the updated visuals are like a mix of "some are fine while others look like they should have stayed in the early 00s," and the fact performance is wonky on ALL versions of the collection makes it clear it was rushed for the sake of Rockstar having some kind of big holiday release (Switch owners already expected it'd be locked at 30 on that console, but it barely maintains a stable 30, sometimes having worse performance than the PS2 originals, and even on PS5 and Xbox Series X the game struggles to maintain a consistent 60 on performance mode).

It's a double-edged sword, isn't it? Either it's done to keep game preservation going and prevent games from sinking into licensing oblivion while adding extras that enhance the original experience (the ideal way), or, it's done but the people behind them that couldn't care less of a shit turn in a disastrous product while the originals keep shining and are still a million times better, yet those are either hard to find or are absurdly expensive.

Yeah it's pretty damn sad to see the state of the video game industry. Nothing but unfinished games, remasters or remakes these days. New Call of Duty, Battlefield, Assassin Creed and Fifa game almost every single year and people eat it all up. How many times Skyrim and GTA 5 have also been released now? Then you have those new games that look interesting, get shit tons of hype and when they finally release, it's full of bugs and glitches and nothing like they showcased. I'm looking at you Cyberpunk 2077, Fallout 76, GTA Trilogy and No Man's Sky which did actually ended up becoming good but that also took like what, a year?

Then you have new Saints Row game coming up and that's already looking like a disaster too and Dead Space remake which didn't even need one. I wonder how that's gonna end up looking? Also feels like these days graphics have become really important for a lot of people, every single detail and object in the game needs to look as good as possible. That was already bad enough before but it's even worse today.

You go to some old video game trailer and you almost instantly see comments about how this game needs a remaster or remake and i'm wondering why? If it plays already good and is fun, why does it need a graphic update? Fucking hell, just update it so that you can actually play it on newer PC's and consoles. Then they dare to sell games like Silent Hill Homecoming on Steam even though it's clearly not working properly or at all.

Those games that also do end up becoming good or are fun and creative don't get much attention at all. Games like Singularity or Bulletstorm that actually wanted you to be creative with your kills. Sad thing about Singularity is that it was Raven's last game before they ended up in Call of Duty salt mines.

Feels like long gone are the days when players would actually care more about the gameplay than graphics and gone are the days when games would actually be done when they are done. Now is the age of over-hype/pump up fans > release product is below expectations > "road-map" of fixes and changes, after you've essentially paid to play a beta test.

God i long for the days when devs originality can shine once more. At least there's always indie games.

Sorry for sounding like a boomer and doomer here but jesus what a mess game industry is these days. I'm not saying that there weren't any problems before or that you should stop buying any new games, good for you if you do enjoy them and who am i to judge anyway, i bought games like Silent Hill Homecoming for console and Legendary and enjoyed both of them even though a lot of others didn't like those games.

Known Memes wrote:

Yeah it's pretty damn sad to see the state of the video game industry. Nothing but unfinished games, remasters or remakes these days. New Call of Duty, Battlefield, Assassin Creed and Fifa game almost every single year and people eat it all up. How many times Skyrim and GTA 5 have also been released now? Then you have those new games that look interesting, get shit tons of hype and when they finally release, it's full of bugs and glitches and nothing like they showcased. I'm looking at you Cyberpunk 2077, Fallout 76, GTA Trilogy and No Man's Sky which did actually ended up becoming good but that also took like what, a year?

Then you have new Saints Row game coming up and that's already looking like a disaster too and Dead Space remake which didn't even need one. I wonder how that's gonna end up looking? Also feels like these days graphics have become really important for a lot of people, every single detail and object in the game needs to look as good as possible. That was already bad enough before but it's even worse today.

You go to some old video game trailer and you almost instantly see comments about how this game needs a remaster or remake and i'm wondering why? If it plays already good and is fun, why does it need a graphic update? Fucking hell, just update it so that you can actually play it on newer PC's and consoles. Then they dare to sell games like Silent Hill Homecoming on Steam even though it's clearly not working properly or at all.

Those games that also do end up becoming good or are fun and creative don't get much attention at all. Games like Singularity or Bulletstorm that actually wanted you to be creative with your kills. Sad thing about Singularity is that it was Raven's last game before they ended up in Call of Duty salt mines.

Feels like long gone are the days when players would actually care more about the gameplay than graphics and gone are the days when games would actually be done when they are done. Now is the age of over-hype/pump up fans > release product is below expectations > "road-map" of fixes and changes, after you've essentially paid to play a beta test.

God i long for the days when devs originality can shine once more. At least there's always indie games.

Sorry for sounding like a boomer and doomer here but jesus what a mess game industry is these days. I'm not saying that there weren't any problems before or that you should stop buying any new games, good for you if you do enjoy them and who am i to judge anyway, i bought games like Silent Hill Homecoming for console and Legendary and enjoyed both of them even though a lot of others didn't like those games.

Yeah I agree
Alot of source engine games (especially in gmod) still look great nearly 20 years later, and the physics allow you to do some funny shit, and unlike bethesda’s creation engine, the source engine doesn’t need a remaster or replacement, cause it doesn’t bug out like crazy!

Pokejoseph64 wrote:

Yeah I agree
Alot of source engine games (especially in gmod) still look great nearly 20 years later, and the physics allow you to do some funny shit, and unlike bethesda’s creation engine, the source engine doesn’t need a remaster or replacement, cause it doesn’t bug out like crazy!

Yeah some games still hold up pretty nicely to this day. l still enjoy playing games Half Life series, Mirror's Edge, F.E.A.R and DOOM 3 a lot. It's crazy how beautiful games like Mirror's Edge still is, soundtrack and everything and how much fun and also scary F.E.A.R was and still is in my opinion. DOOM 3 also holds up really well, still can't believe it came in 2004. I know it got a lot of shit from some DOOM fans but man do i still love that game a lot and enjoy it the way it looks and plays.

Last edited Nov 14, 2021 at 05:24PM EST

I don't think there's anything wrong with making remasters of older games per se, but like everything with video game development, it has to be done right, and as of recent, multiple AAA devs have been fumbling with their efforts in developing remasters.
Remasters shouldn't just be about making the graphics fancier, they should add stuff like quality of life improvements, new content, and just generally a new way to experience an older game. RE 2 Remake is an example of how to do a remaster right, but can't really say the same about the "remasters" that came out as of recent…

Known Memes wrote:

Yeah some games still hold up pretty nicely to this day. l still enjoy playing games Half Life series, Mirror's Edge, F.E.A.R and DOOM 3 a lot. It's crazy how beautiful games like Mirror's Edge still is, soundtrack and everything and how much fun and also scary F.E.A.R was and still is in my opinion. DOOM 3 also holds up really well, still can't believe it came in 2004. I know it got a lot of shit from some DOOM fans but man do i still love that game a lot and enjoy it the way it looks and plays.

To me, it doesn’t really matter if the graphics are just polygons, as long as the lighting is bright enough and the textures are nice, it’s A-ok in my book.

It’s why I love both the original and DS versions of Mario 64, though the latter is admittedly from nostalgia playing it as a kid, and the former was mostly from watching alot of SMG4’s videos like these:

Last edited Nov 14, 2021 at 08:54PM EST

No!! wrote:

I would love a paper Mario, super paper Mario and/or Paper Mario: thousand year door remaster but otherwise I agree with you what is it with media companies, not wanting to make original shit anymore? look at Disney as well!

>When you're so creatively bankrupt you make a CGI remake of a 2d animated move and advertise it as a live action and it's so shit literally everyone agrees it is in no way better than the original Lion king
Disney: Dream different.

I would like a remaster of Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn on the same cartridge. Of course, that would never happen because Nintendo would rather go after ROM hosting sites.

My ideas for the remaster would be to largely increasing the resolution and rebalancing the games. Including the Maniac difficulty of Path of Radiance and translating the expanded Hard mode script in Radiant Dawn would be nice additions.
For the rebalancing, obviously mounts in Path of Radiance and the Laguz royals in Radiant Dawn are too strong (with the latter being busted.) Counting cavalry as beast units and thus being weak to fire would help. The Laguz royals need limits on how long they can stay transformed. The magic triangle should be made more relevant. I would add Dark Mages to the Dawn Brigade maps and/or give Micaiah Dark magic capabilities to make sure she isn't always gimped against enemy mages. Other than that, the stat caps should be tweaked to make third-tier mages faster, Dragonlords slower, and Marshall have higher defense.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!