Forums / Media / Video Games

38,638 total conversations in 2,702 threads

+ New Thread

Volition, the studio behind Saints Row, Descent, and Red Faction, has been shut down

Last posted Sep 02, 2023 at 10:56AM EDT. Added Aug 31, 2023 at 02:08PM EDT
3 posts from 3 users

Source

Yeah the studio's latest game, the 2022 reboot of Saints Row, was a major flop both critically and commercially, but it still sucks they're now shut down. I was hoping maybe Volition could bounce back by maybe working on some smaller titles like maybe bringing back Red Faction with a proper follow-up to Guerilla, or a smaller scale entry that's a linear but well polished shooter akin to the original, but looks like SR 2022 was the studio's last major chance at finding success in the new decade.

Just a real sucky situation all around that not only is Volition shut down after being active for 30 years (they originally began life as "Parallax Software," which is the name they released Descent 1 and 2 under), but their last game was one that pretty much no one likes (even the crowd it looks like they were attempting to pander to, namely older gen z or young millennials, felt the game was both cringy and just flat out boring).

The writing was on the wall so I can't say I'm surprised to see them gone, Volition has been in dire straits since Agents of Mayhem flopped and almost went under because of it. Considering how overwhelmingly negative the reception for the reboot was based on the reveal trailer alone, I saw Volition as a dead man walking.

Its a shame but I don't feel too bad about it.

The failure of Taints Row was their own doing.

Instead of making either genuine like Saints Row 2, or making something crazy like Saints Row 4, they made a dire, dated, normie-level script.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!