Forums / Discussion / General

232,916 total conversations in 7,793 threads

+ New Thread

KYM? What's Your Accent?

Last posted Dec 31, 2011 at 08:19AM EST. Added Dec 20, 2011 at 10:57AM EST
60 posts from 37 users

ITT we discuss accents. Preferably post an embedded video of your accent or your favorite/funny accents. I'll start.

What people think I sound like cause I'm from Baltimore:

Always liked me some Norwegian accent.

Don't forget Boston.

I don't think I have an accent, but I suppose I probably would have a Minnesoootan accent, don'tcha know?

It really isn't super pronounced, especially here in the cities. It's much much more subtle than what you hear from movies like Fargo.

Even this guy has a larger accent than you will see around the cities. But his accent is fairly accurate for some of the smaller towns up north.

My favorite accent has to be the Scout's from TF2. I know his accent is a terrible mix of boston and brooklyn accent but it's just so great.

I live in the South, and my parents have lived all of their lives' in the South. But they don't have any accent and neither do I. Thank God too, I've always hated everyone's accent down here.

I'm from Germany. I actually don't have a german accent like the Medic from TF2 though,but I still sound rather german (you'll hear it soon). I don't really have an example for it right now,but just wait 5 days more…

Talking about American accents: I seriously love redneck-accents.

Many Americans hate them though…I can't understand them. It sounds so awesome!

Last edited Dec 20, 2011 at 11:22AM EST

I always thought that I had a slight North Walian accent, but lately someone said that I sound "proper posh". The North Walian is awesome, especially if you live on the Lleyn Peninsula. Extremely strong, barely speak English in some cases. Lohts of speeeking like theeeees, eeef yoooou knooooow what I meeeeeean.

Would be curious to hear everybody's accent… anybody want to play along with that accent meme?

There seems to be a few variations of the prompts, but here's one:

Your name and username
Meaning of your url and age
Where you’re from.
Pronounce the following words:
Aunt, Roof, Route, Wash, Oil, Theater, Iron, Salmon, Caramel, Fire, Water, Sure, Data, Ruin, Crayon, New Orleans, Pecan, Both, Again, Probably, Avenue, Alabama, Lawyer, Coupon, Mayonnaise, Pajamas, Caught, Naturally, Aluminium, GIF, Doorknob, Envelope, Drawing, Tomato, Often, Dog, February, Syrup, Leisure, About, Process, Status, Organization, Orange, Talk, Mobile, Idea, Dynasty, Renaissance, Patronize, Breakfast, Drawer, Horror, Herbs.
What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house?
What is a bubbly carbonated drink called?
What do you call gym shoes?
What do you call your grandparents?
What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket?
What is the thing you change the TV channel with?
Choose a book and read a passage from it.
Do you think you have an accent?
Be a wizard or a vampire? [heh heh heh]
Do you know anyone on Tumblr in real life?
What is the bug that when you touch it, curls into a ball?
What do you say to address a group of people?
What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs?
What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?
End audio post by saying any three words you want.

I might want to do it before/after drinking, since my Jersey accent seems to slip when I'm a bit inebriated :X

Last edited Dec 20, 2011 at 11:29AM EST

Same as pimp as far as my own accent goes. I figure wherever you may be, the accent of your particular region will be suppressed more in the larger cities, and it's never anywhere near as bad as the movies make it sound unless you're wayyyy out in the shticks, you know?

As far as favorite accents, I've grown to enjoy most varieties from the UK area.

I'm going to assume that I have a southern accent mainly because I am from the south, I can't hear it when I talk but I can hear it when I listen to recordings of my voice.
My favorite kind of accent would have to be either German or Scottish

I have kind of a Florida accent, with some Jewish phrasings thrown in. It's not exactly Southern or Northern, but more of a mix between the two.

Olivia Gulin wrote:

Would be curious to hear everybody's accent… anybody want to play along with that accent meme?

There seems to be a few variations of the prompts, but here's one:

Your name and username
Meaning of your url and age
Where you’re from.
Pronounce the following words:
Aunt, Roof, Route, Wash, Oil, Theater, Iron, Salmon, Caramel, Fire, Water, Sure, Data, Ruin, Crayon, New Orleans, Pecan, Both, Again, Probably, Avenue, Alabama, Lawyer, Coupon, Mayonnaise, Pajamas, Caught, Naturally, Aluminium, GIF, Doorknob, Envelope, Drawing, Tomato, Often, Dog, February, Syrup, Leisure, About, Process, Status, Organization, Orange, Talk, Mobile, Idea, Dynasty, Renaissance, Patronize, Breakfast, Drawer, Horror, Herbs.
What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house?
What is a bubbly carbonated drink called?
What do you call gym shoes?
What do you call your grandparents?
What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket?
What is the thing you change the TV channel with?
Choose a book and read a passage from it.
Do you think you have an accent?
Be a wizard or a vampire? [heh heh heh]
Do you know anyone on Tumblr in real life?
What is the bug that when you touch it, curls into a ball?
What do you say to address a group of people?
What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs?
What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?
End audio post by saying any three words you want.

I might want to do it before/after drinking, since my Jersey accent seems to slip when I'm a bit inebriated :X

I'm going to do this after my roommate wakes up.

I want to know if I have a noticeable Minnesotan accent or not.

I guess I have just a general American accent. I've lived almost everywhere within the US and have never stayed put for more than a couple years due to having a military family. Most of my friends have said I have no accent regardless of where they are from or what accent they have.

Yeah, I know that feel Suis. My father is still an English teacher after 30+ years so I was brought up with strict grammar. Only a few people I have known have come across to have said that I have a Californian accent even though I have never been there. (Sadly). :Okay:

Have you ever heard a South american talk in english? Well, that's my accent, but more modulated. About my Spanish accent, i have a STRONG southern chilean accent, which, in my opinion, is the most difficult to understand of all Spanish dialects. Anyway, i really like Southern North American accent. I don't know, i think is cool :P.

I grew up in Canada so I would say that I have a Canadian accent though like most here, unless you're way out in the sticks its not really pronounced.

I always thought I didn't have an accent but ever since I moved to New Zealand, Kiwis seem to be amused whenever I pronounce "Canada" because they find the accent amusing. :/

As for my Arabic accent, I speak with a Najdi accent which is what people from Central Saudi Arabia use. Arabic accents are a LOT more pronounced than English ones.

As for favourite accents? I always loved all the African accents (West African, South African, Rhodesian…ect)

Fast forward to 1:30

I always thought I didn’t have an accent but ever since I moved to New Zealand, Kiwis seem to be amused whenever I pronounce “Canada” because they find the accent amusing. :/

KIWIS LOVE ACCENTS!

My Dad and my Sister became instantly famous in my town for having a Californian accent.

My own accent is especially fun. Its a weird mashup of both Kiwi and Californian. In California it sounds Kiwi but in New Zealand it sounds Californian. People love guessing where I am from.

Many Kiwi's don't notice but some Americans figure out my Californian roots. Other people have guessed that I am Canadian, Australian, British and French (Yes, French, that's how messed up my accent is)

To anyone visiting New Zealand:
If you come from Australia, America, UK or South Africa you will make friends easily

If you come from France, Germany or Russia, you will be mobbed by horny kiwi women lured to your johnson by the sweet sound of your accent. I'm serious

Well, I can speak your standard Canadian English pretty well.

What I really like to do to troll is to suddenly start speaking in Newfie English so no one can understand me. Don't know what that sounds like? Look it up.

Ain't any vids on Youtube that I particularly like.

Last edited Dec 21, 2011 at 03:58AM EST

Syndic wrote:

Sorry my mic is crap. You will have to use headphones or turn up your speakers to hear me.

Nice hat.

Pimp Abra, Connor, whatever player you use needs a plugin and doesn't want to say what plugin.

I'll make a recording a later today maybe. I can't say that it will be particularly interesting though, as I have that generic midwestern accent that gets used for pretty much any american character who "isn't from somewhere with an accent". Still, I'll try.

Some say I got bit of a British accent, also I do got a speech impediment, also I tend to speak fast and some times I might mumble or some shit, kind of hard to understand me.

Last edited Dec 29, 2011 at 12:37AM EST

In English, I tend to be pretty accent-neutral; I speak Pac-NW English, but depending on if I'm in Canada or the US, my accent adapts accordingly (oatside in Canada, autside in the US). I can also imitate a Queensland accent pretty well.

En castellano, tengo un acento, pues, castellano, ya que vivía en España hace unos años. Pero puedo ponerme un acento mexicano también, por haber vivido en EEUU por muchos años.

En français, mon accent est un mélange d'anglais et espagnol.

Oh, and for Muumi's benefit, en puhuu suomea.

Last edited Dec 29, 2011 at 02:01AM EST

I crack up at the end, so you might not understand what I'm saying.

Now to play the waiting game to see how many people comments on my voice.

Last edited Dec 29, 2011 at 11:05AM EST

Aristocatification aka Lolishiiit wrote:

I'm ashamed because my pronunciation is on the same level as the pronunciation of a 4-year-old child…

Edit: Jeez,the quality is horrible…time for a new headset…
Edit No.2: I also forgot to explain the meaning of my name. >_<

You speak english better than I can speak any other language, so that's pretty awesome.

There are also people who have worse pronunciation than you here in the US who are native english speakers, so you're doing well.

opspe wrote:

Oh, and for Muumi’s benefit, en puhuu suomea.

"En puhuu suomea" = "I don't speaks finnish."

Heh heh, but it is indeed fun to see you try. It'd be cool to know many diffrent languages, but I can only use finnish, english, and just a tiny bit of swedish (badly).

Of course I can write english just fine, but since I've never had to speak english much, I can't pronounce very well. But I'm able to speak and pronounce english better while using stupid cartoony voices, than I'm able with a "proper" voice.

If I actually tried to speak in english, it'd probably sound something like this.

…Maybe a bit better though…

Last edited Dec 29, 2011 at 03:07PM EST

You might want to turn up your volume. There are some weird clicking noices along the way, I have no idea what the reason is for that.

I'm pretty sure I have an accent.

Alex>_> wrote:

Yeah, I forgot I made this thread and I said I was gonna do it.

Here is the link

TIL how I sound through a shit mic.

Edit: Does anyone know what the missing plug-in thing is? I want to hear other people.

No idea. I think it has something to do with Vocaroo, which is where a bunch of people uploaded their voices.

Try going to the main vocaroo website to see what you're missing.

Captain Blubber wrote:

http://vocaroo.com/?media=vxGJLSoJd8oUKbnJK

That was difficult.

I'm such a slowpoke but…
Oh god, I hate you and I love you all at the same time Blubbermouth.
You can't even sound French.

RandomMan wrote:

You might want to turn up your volume. There are some weird clicking noices along the way, I have no idea what the reason is for that.

I'm pretty sure I have an accent.

Pretty interesting.

If there was one thing I noticed it was that you tended to put an sh or a longer ss sound where there normally is just an s.

Otherwise, it sounded very good.

Also, Aluminum > Aluminium

Chris wrote:

Pretty interesting.

If there was one thing I noticed it was that you tended to put an sh or a longer ss sound where there normally is just an s.

Otherwise, it sounded very good.

Also, Aluminum > Aluminium

In Dutch you say it like Aluminium.

So yeah, I accidentally said that in Dutch.

Chris wrote:

No idea. I think it has something to do with Vocaroo, which is where a bunch of people uploaded their voices.

Try going to the main vocaroo website to see what you're missing.

If you can see them can you post the link to the recordings, Chris? I heard Blubbers just fine.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!