Forums / Discussion / General

233,031 total conversations in 7,791 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured Locked Locked
KYM Pony General V: We Just Don't Know What Went Wrong

Last posted Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT. Added Feb 19, 2012 at 11:27PM EST
9926 posts from 193 users

@Slinker:

If I had to pick a favorite band outside of the brony community it would have to be Creature Feature, Gorillaz, Daft Punk, etc. I basically like all kinds of music except for extremely heavy metal and gangster rap. Some example songs:

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 05:52PM EDT

Music, eh?
Well, this is certainly tempered by proximity (since I just saw the AWESOME stage show last night), but Green Day is pretty high on the list.

Also, I don't think that Johnathan Coulton (writer of Portal's Still Alive & Want You Gone) has ever made a 'bad' song.
I love his unpredictable nerd-rock style, too.
I mean, who writes a genuinely touching love song between Pluto and its moon?

Or between a ship and a giant squid?

Hmm, some others…
Rush, Boston, BareNakedLadies, Smash Mouth, Coldplay, R.E.M. and quite a lot of others with very little pattern to be found.
For the most part, I like just about everything other than really heavy metal (screaming/growling stuff) and rap.
Pop has always been a nebulous genre that I can't say I particularly like, but a few gems surface occasionally.

Sup gang!
"Its About Time" I joined this thread.
I'm actually supposed to be working on a presentation for my health class right now,
but that's future me's problem.
Was actually thinking of sneaking something pony related into it but I don't think "trichomoniasis" is relatable.
Anywho how many of you lucky devils are you going to bronycon?

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 07:01PM EDT

I listen to everything from this:

To this:

To this:

And even some of this:

@SweetAndDelicious
I'm not…

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 06:53PM EDT

@SweetAndDelicion:

’Verbose is the local TL;DR king and a mod, RandomMan gets all the bitches and is generally the best guy ever, Algy likes fan-fics, Muffinator and I are clones (according to Verbose), Ric is a pegasus with augmentation bullshit, Popper is a Mandalorian with the hots for Chrysalis, Pyro is Nightmare Moon’s waifu (and vice-versa), Twins is a girl that’s been strangely absent, Dac provides the shitstorms and controversy, and Princess Celestia is best pony.

Now that that’s out of the way, make sure to be kind, contribute to discussions when you can and try to be nice and you’ll do fine. If you go to the Just For Fun forum, Captain Serious (AKA Thomas Nair) is kind of a dick, and hates bronies with a passion. Try to troll him as often as possible.

El Slinker, Windigo, Zarathh, and everybody else are awesome bros that come before hoes.'

Reposting that for newbies.

As for my favorite bands outside of ponies?

Along with the obvious ones like Queen, Journey, Gorillaz, etc.

I always wanted to ask this question:

What do you think would happen if the majority of 9gaggers become bronies? Not what you would do, but what do you expect to happen in a broader sense of the Internet.

pug on toast wrote:

What do you think would happen if the majority of 9gaggers become bronies? Not what you would do, but what do you expect to happen in a broader sense of the Internet.

Trolls and haters will start posting picture of ponies pasted with "le" all over it to the KYM image gallery.

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 08:07PM EDT

SweetAndDelicious wrote:

Sup gang!
"Its About Time" I joined this thread.
I'm actually supposed to be working on a presentation for my health class right now,
but that's future me's problem.
Was actually thinking of sneaking something pony related into it but I don't think "trichomoniasis" is relatable.
Anywho how many of you lucky devils are you going to bronycon?

I plan to go, I just need to find some way to tell my mother that I'm obsessed with ponies. I've yet to figure it out.
Time to put on my thinking cap!

Explosives wrote:

’Verbose is the local TL;DR king and a mod,

Captain Serious (AKA Thomas Nair) is kind of a dick, and hates bronies with a passion. Try to troll him as often as possible.

Please try to leave him alone. He's trying his best to avoid ponies. Trolling is in bad taste.

Joe Amethyst wrote:

I plan to go, I just need to find some way to tell my mother that I'm obsessed with ponies. I've yet to figure it out.
Time to put on my thinking cap!

Your 'thinking cap' has Derpy on it?
I can't even imagine the ideas that must come to you when you wear it…
Good luck!

Explosive Lasers AKA Solaire AKA Sexiest wrote:

@burning:

>2012
>'trying his best to avoid ponies'
>Mentions them more than any other user
>Says bronies spam ponies
>Spams everything he likes

Bro. Bro, seriously. Seriously, bro. Bro, come on. Seriously, come on. Come on, bro, seriously. Seriously, bro, come on.

Nair is secretly a brony that cannot deal with the fact that he likes ponies. He knows he likes them, but hates himself for liking ponies.

So he mentions his hate every so often to help him deal with his love for ponies and to reassure himself that he hates ponies.

Or he likes ponies so much, he is promoting it through his "hate".

Either way, he is a closet brony.

FAd wrote:

Nair is secretly a brony that cannot deal with the fact that he likes ponies. He knows he likes them, but hates himself for liking ponies.

So he mentions his hate every so often to help him deal with his love for ponies and to reassure himself that he hates ponies.

Or he likes ponies so much, he is promoting it through his "hate".

Either way, he is a closet brony.

This….actually makes a lot of sense. Now i don't think i'll ever be able to look at thomas the same way i do now.

on an unrelated note i have a question for all of you.

Out of all the episodes out there. What is your favorite one? I guess mines is either the one when twilight get's that owl or when pinkie pie has to weird twitches.

@Thread

Try not to let discussion stray too far from the topic. It's OK to deviate a little, but please try to specifically request off-topic…topics (i.e. favorite non-pony music/artists.) I may have to discuss that (not in a bad way) with you guys. I have…ideas…

@Mister J

I don't know enough of 9gag to be able to say. I feel like it would just add onto the numbers of the brony fandom (which is largely unknown, but Sethisto feels confident that 700,000 is a good number, and I think a 6 digit number, even smaller ones, would be a good bet.)

I think you may see more memetic content, which in turn may increase visibility of the show and the fandom, as 9gag seems to be referenced by some people in the mainstream, but I don't know if it's going to be or cause the next big thing in the fandom.

…..can I have more answers?
Just because I'm not a brony doesn't mean I'm not interested in how you people think……..

Also this. (see comments)

What do you guys think?

@Mister J

I'm honestly not sure what to say about that picture. That post has the scent of controversy about it, and I tend to keep my ponies in my happy place. As for 9gag, it's not in my sphere of sites that I visit, so I dunno about that either.

@Favorite Episode

One does not simply choose an overall favorite; I love many of them in rather different ways. For example, the finale of S2 was great in terms of story and interaction and music etc., but had too little Fluttershy. Luna eclipsed was amazing too, but had none of the awesome songs that some of my other favorites have. Heck, The Last Roundup is way up there for a bunch of reasons as well. Could you narrow it down a bit, give some specific criteria?

Now, I wasn't sure if I would post this, but I know we have a couple artists here, so maybe you could help me out with some critique. I made this in Inkscape:

Any comments on the deviation page would be very much appreciated!

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 10:32PM EDT

@Explosive

Yes Nair points out how much he hates Bronies so much (Pay special attention to the use of the word 'Brony' rather than "pony") it's incredibly irritating but seriously, just ignore him whenever he does his anti-Brony thing. Leave him alone and he leaves you alone. He's not that bad if you get to know him.

Anyway just to back up something I said earlier:

The show itself is average to me, I like it as much as I liked Samurai Jack and Fairly Odd Parents

I just realized that this may make me sound like one of those Bronies that don't care about the show and are just in it for the popularity.

I assure everyone this is not the case. I definitely would not have joined the fandom if the show didn't interest me. I definitely enjoy it more than others.

I compared it to Samurai Jack and Fairly Odd Parents, but those were still good cartoons that I really liked. There are just some cartoons that I would rate higher. But MLP isn't underwhelming in any way.

Perhaps what I should have said is that the fandom itself sets MLP apart from other cartoons of its class which gives the fandom a self sustaining effect.

But in any case, I really do relate to what Dac, Algy and Phoneix are all saying

@Phoneix

just…hanging around BSOD (Really, all we got along just fine…no weird things.)

Yep…just hanging…that's all, nothing else. If you catch us doing something weird it isn't what it looks like

@Mister J

What do you think would happen if the majority of 9gaggers become bronies

As far as the 9gaggers themselves go: They would become Bronies.

No really, that's all I imagine will happen. The 9gaggers wouldn't change aside from posting ponies more often. Perhaps I'm just not using my imagination here.

To reflect what Verbose is saying, we can certainly expect an increase in visibility of the meme since 9gag is quite popular with a broader audience. We might see more refrences pop up. I also think the fandom might get a boost in younger members since 9 gag is mostly populated by kids. But that's about all I imagine will happen

I also agree that it may potentially result in more terribly made pony macro's popping up in the MLP image gallery here.

@The image Mister J linked

Now as for the image, I felt the first comment from MrTutorial summed it up pretty good, hence its upvotes. I feel very indifferent to the context of ponies used in that image, in fact I think that's irrelevant. Rather I feel it comes down to the "familiarity/unfamiliarity" factor as MrTutorial explained

The first commenter (to the image on deviant art) was just expressing how he was influenced by that cause and affect. The second commenter after that overreacted to a non-issue.

Mind you some people are able to feel empathetic to certain things easier than others. Some people will cave into tears at the sight of a disaster on photo, others need to see said disaster in person in order to feel an emotional response. It's not bad to be the latter, it just means your brain handles emotion differently.

@Favorite bands/music/brony artists.

I think you all know where I stand on that topic:

Official member

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 10:49PM EDT

@Verbose Sorry about that, I just wanted to see what tastes people had. Y'know, get to know people. If I may, let me revoke that, I don't mean to derail this thread.

@Seal Either Hurrican Fluttershy or Royal Wedding…or Mare-Do-Well…or Read it and Weep.
Yeah.

pug on toast wrote:

Well, for starters, I don't think this'll ever happen. 9gag's type of community doesn't fit the brony culture. A lot of 9gaggers are unexperienced to the internet and are mainly active on Facebook and other social media when it comes to online conversations. It's not the type of userbase that will accept MLP. They'll look at it as what it is, a kids show about pastel colered ponies.

But if it will happen. First the number of ponifications would increase. But a lot of new ones would be crappy photoshops, not much original art. MLP will make more appearances in Rage Comics and Advice Animals posted on 9gag. We'll also get more crappy, short lived, fads. Nothing big that'll actually take off.

But there's also the risk of 9gag's userbase and it's size. Their userbase is bigger than most seperate sites, you can't avoid that fact. So just like most communities, opinions on MLP get divided. You get like, neutral, and dislike towards the show. Knowing the size, tension will surely increase surrounding the show and more discussion will take place on social media sites.

But that's also where it stays. Possible discussion on 9gag about MLP will stay on 9gag and has a very unlikely chance to spread to other sites and communities.

So overall, I think the impact will be negative. But I doubt it'll ever happen. I have visited 9gag a few times and can confirm that MLP related content is currently still very minimal.

@Millennial Dan
Here is my review, the hand which is holding Derpy is at a to steep of an angle. Derpy looks a bit masculine and possibly disproportional, but I think that is caused by her masculine face. The shadowing is bad, There are shadows being casted in multiple directions which throws off my sense of where your light is coming from. In addition if you light is going to Derpy's face then there should be no shadow being casted in front of her or beside her. In conclusion, it is a great and a long-shot from my crappy Microsoft Word picture, but it still needs work.

Tim the Enchanter wrote:

@Millennial Dan
Here is my review, the hand which is holding Derpy is at a to steep of an angle. Derpy looks a bit masculine and possibly disproportional, but I think that is caused by her masculine face. The shadowing is bad, There are shadows being casted in multiple directions which throws off my sense of where your light is coming from. In addition if you light is going to Derpy's face then there should be no shadow being casted in front of her or beside her. In conclusion, it is a great and a long-shot from my crappy Microsoft Word picture, but it still needs work.

I appreciate it. Lighting seems surprisingly difficult to control on Inkscape. For most of the characters, I have the lighting coming from above, but for Lyra, it's coming from the right. I'll certainly have to fix that. As for Derpy, that is also a good point, and it's probably the reason why she's my least-liked vector so far. Again, thanks for your input!

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 11:12PM EDT

WOAH, back dafaq up!

Two steps from hell, hammerfall and Blind guardian are your favorite bands too, lasers!?

lol nice. I also like Tyr.

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 11:21PM EDT

Wow, to be honest, I didn't think anyone would think the same way as me in that the show isn't the best thing since sliced bread. That's not to say that others can't think it's great, just that I don't. Anyways, Nice to see that Im not alone on that. Like I said, I like the show, but if it wasn't for you guys, I would only watch avatar, Phenies(?) and ferb, and a couple other cartoons( as far as cartoons are concerned).
Anyways, I'm decided to keep Dac in my name so everyone can recognize me.

favorite bands?
My number one favorite band is Disturbed (who would've guessed?). Other favorite bands are Five Finger Death Punch, Korn, Breaking Benjamin, Shinedown, Soundgarden, Linkin Park, and Nickelback. Favorite old school bands are AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Metallica, and Queen.
favorite episode?
Hard to say, but I think I'll go with Luna Eclipsed because Luna is my favorite.

So were talking about our favorite bands now eh?

Well i like the Gorrilaz. They have gotta be my favorite by far. Other than that i like queen. The Beatles are pretty good. Other than that i can't think of anyone. I need some good bands to listen to guy's.

Posting links to songs would be helpful.

Millennial Dan wrote:

I appreciate it. Lighting seems surprisingly difficult to control on Inkscape. For most of the characters, I have the lighting coming from above, but for Lyra, it's coming from the right. I'll certainly have to fix that. As for Derpy, that is also a good point, and it's probably the reason why she's my least-liked vector so far. Again, thanks for your input!

I use Inkscape too. So much easier to make vectors in Inkscape compared to the competition IMO

But when it comes to lighting I prefer to export my vector over to GIMP and I use GIMP's shading tools to do the job.

I find it's much quicker to simply paint the shadows over the finished graphic using a transparent black paintbrush, plus with GIMP you have the blur, feather and doge burn tools which allow to you make much more realistic and smooth shades. That's how I made the shading in all the graphics I posted in the art thread.

Fantastic work on that poster, in any case. Doing stuff like that takes me forever to do.

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 11:53PM EDT

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

I use Inkscape too. So much easier to make vectors in Inkscape compared to the competition IMO

But when it comes to lighting I prefer to export my vector over to GIMP and I use GIMP's shading tools to do the job.

I find it's much quicker to simply paint the shadows over the finished graphic using a transparent black paintbrush, plus with GIMP you have the blur, feather and doge burn tools which allow to you make much more realistic and smooth shades. That's how I made the shading in all the graphics I posted in the art thread.

Fantastic work on that poster, in any case. Doing stuff like that takes me forever to do.

Thanks dude! It's taken me far longer than it should have.

So far, the only image programs I've used are Sketchbook Designer, Inkscape, Paint.net, and Photoshop Elements. I really should learn how to use Gimp, though, because I've noticed that a huge number of artists online seem quite happy with it. Thus, I journey back to the land of tutorials…

@Millennial Dan

GIMP is worth a try. Google it and download it for free.

Now that GIMP 2.8 has an option to have everything packed in one window, it's much friendlier for Windows users with only one monitor. (The previous versions forced me to have dual monitors just because it had every toolbar scattered everywhere)

GIMP is as difficult to use as any other photo editor but it's UI is more user friendly IMO (easy to reach tools, color dialogs and layer dialogs etc). You should be able to adjust to it quickly.

Image editing programs? I was pretty good with Illustrator at my Tech School but I still like Paint.NET best. Suits my needs despite having about only half of the options, but the simplicity in comparison is why I like it.

@Dac
I always loved the ponies as well but I thought season 1 was kinda average especially when compared to season 2. I think I see what you mean to a certain extent.

Last edited Jun 04, 2012 at 01:34AM EDT

pug on toast wrote:

…..can I have more answers?
Just because I'm not a brony doesn't mean I'm not interested in how you people think……..

Also this. (see comments)

What do you guys think?

The current generation of active users in this thread aren't up for much heavy conversation in terms of the fandom and outside influences. They tend to default to neutral stances on such issues (which is far better than idiotic responses.) But on the whole, it's hard to get discussion going on certain topics. I think these guys just like to be happy. Bleh.

And there's always the unspoken rule of having a discussion topic rejected. I've posed several topics, and people just didn't want to talk about it for whatever reason. As opposed to making a post saying that it's uninteresting or that we simply don't want to go there, we just skip it. It could be that many people aren't interested in it right now, but I'm just as willing to bet that many users didn't read the post.

As for the image, I think many users 1) aren't old enough to grasp what's going on in that image, and 2) learned about it in a boring history class. In fact, if you pulled the comment out from under it, I'm not sure if I'd be able to guess with complete accuracy that these are Jews being ordered and moves to concentration camps by Nazi forces.

The comments under there hit on some comments I've seen elsewhere. On one level, you can say it's sad that it required a character from the show for some of the audience feel emotion about what's going on. On another, you can argue that it's hard to grasp the torture and deaths of millions of Jews, and that it would require a person/character you know to feel bad, even though you know it was the beginnings of terrible events in history. On yet another level, some people want to keep their ponies away from such things. They don't like sadfics or grimdark fiction. They wouldn't like this.

I'm somewhere in between the first and second hands. It is sad that we require a particular figure close to us to feel sympathy for those who are in a situation. However, a person simply can't function if they are confronted with all of the atrocities that occur throughout the world currently, let alone past ones. I don't think anyone who sees that isn't going to care. But it's hard to feel for anyone who isn't close to you. You only have so many emotional resources, and much like more material resources, you can only use them so often.

You save them for those you feel closest to. For some people, those characters include Rainbow Dash and crew.

My favorite image software is Photoshop.

But I'm a poor asshole, so I have to settle for GIMP, which I'm terrible with. I'm not sure why, though.

I suppose I should get myself into responding to Dac…

@Dac:

The show is, undoubtedly, one of my favorite shows of all time, if not the favorite. Though, that's coming from somebody who watched movies as often as shows growing up (Westerns, mysteries, all that jazz). MLP is superior, in my opinion, to the majority (if not all) of the cartoons I've watched several episodes of, same with non-cartoons. It might be the nostalgia (fucking loved me some Disney, man), the music (fucking loved me some Disney songs, man), the feels (fucking love me some big brother and some anxiety problems, man), the characters (fucking love me some good development, man), the plot (fucking love me some pony butt thought-out story, man), or the humor (fucking love me some jokes, man), but the show just clicks. Hard to explain.

But that's just the start. I will admit that I enjoy the show infinitely more than others because of the fandom. It's friendly, welcoming, broad, and is well-weathered by the fires of 4chan. You will never find a more pleasant hive of love and tolerance. Every brony also has an inherent +50 Rustling Resistance, and has Jimmies of steel.

Before I stray further into turning us all into a crappy RPG party (Verbs is the mage and Dac's the tank), I just want to say that the KYM brony fandom is the best I've come across. I haven't been to the big sites like 4chan, Reddit, 9gag, and all of them, so I can't judge accurately from beyond my standpoint.

What I'm saying is that I love the show immensely, beyond the vast majority of other shows, the fandom drives it much higher than anything else could hope for.

Edit:

@Iamslow:

Can I get a metal-brofist?

Last edited Jun 04, 2012 at 01:54AM EDT

@Mister J

The matter of the fact is that over time, people become desensitized to things. Do you have any feelings whatsoever towards Pearl Harbor? Do you even have feelings towards the Holocaust? The sinking of the Titanic? Chances are is that you don't. You can acknowledge the fact that they were all disasters, but the more a disaster is talked about, the less of an impact it makes. By adding a character people are emotionally attached to, those images actually have emotional significance other than what they were taught to feel in history class.

Earlier in this post, I mentioned the Titanic. Some people here might feel a bit upset about it, but only because they've seen the movie about it. Which proves my point: the only way to get people to care about something that happened long before they existed is to attach a recognizable entity from their own period. In the Titanic's case, it's Leonardo DiCaprio.

Adding on to this, we make jokes about the Holocaust now. Heck, we even make jokes about 9/11. I know that's only one example of 9/11's presence on the internet, but I can't find the bigger page about it.

Verbose wrote:

The current generation of active users in this thread aren’t up for much heavy conversation in terms of the fandom and outside influences. They tend to default to neutral stances on such issues (which is far better than idiotic responses.) But on the whole, it’s hard to get discussion going on certain topics. I think these guys just like to be happy. Bleh.

And there’s always the unspoken rule of having a discussion topic rejected. I’ve posed several topics, and people just didn’t want to talk about it for whatever reason. As opposed to making a post saying that it’s uninteresting or that we simply don’t want to go there, we just skip it. It could be that many people aren’t interested in it right now, but I’m just as willing to bet that many users didn’t read the post.

I've been meaning to bring this up myself. Lately, I've been feeling like I have nothing to contribute anymore, and that people don't care about what I have to say. Sometimes, I'll mean to answer a question, but someone else will answer it in a much better way than I can, and so I just won't post. Other times, I will post, but then nobody will care about my answer and it just gets looked over despite all the effort I put into typing it. Sometimes, I'll make an answer and people will ignore it, then you or someone else could say the exact same thing and you'll get more attention and response for it.

It's one of the reasons I don't post here anymore, other than all the IRL shit I got going on right now. I'm not good at finding images, and I can hardly express my thoughts clearly. It's frustrating as hell.

In other news, is anyone else having trouble with Ponibooru? The reason I ask is because whenever I try to do anything with it, I always get an error message saying there's no cached info after about a minute of waiting.

It's a pain because, since I don't use the KYM image gallery, my only source of pics is a series of bookmarked drawfriends from Eq D.

Since it seems to be working now though (at the one time I actually want it to not work), here's an adult Applebloom pic I really liked.

Generally, most adult CMC pics I see are just them looking like their older counterpart (i.e. Applebloom wearing Applejack's hat, Scootaloo looking like RD, etc.) so this is a refreshing change for me.

Last edited Jun 04, 2012 at 02:30AM EDT

@Verbose

In my case, I'm frequently inclined to weigh in on the subjects you post, but I often feel like I don't have enough time to form a decent, coherent response. Of course, that might simply be an excuse.

As for the pics with ponies in different photos of things like the Holocaust, I believe you are correct when you say it is the familiarity of the characters that prompted such a response. Many of us can't really relate to strangers we see suffering such a tragedy, but insert something or someone that we know, or even feel like we know, and it changes our perspective. Just to offer some comparison, if some family member was photoshopped into an image like that, you would have more emotional reaction to that as well.

One other thing is that these ponies are quite expressive, which is one of the reasons many of us like them so much. They give a discernible face to pain, sadness, pleasure, joy, fear, and a range of other such human feelings. People often have trouble outwardly expressing what they feel, but with ponies, it's a different story. We see their highs and lows and vicariously join in. In fact, that's an artist's goal, is it not? To stir the emotions of the viewer?

Now granted, I'm not saying it's right that we don't have more sympathy and compassion for our fellow human beings, even if we don't know them. Unfortunately, that's just the way people tend to be. When an entire planet was destroyed in a Star Wars movie, no one really gave a flying feather, but kill Mufasa and everyone is brought to tears. In real life and in fiction, we care more when we feel closer to the subject.

So there you have it, that's my take on something that I said I wasn't even going to comment on. I'm so consistent!

@Explosive

Actually, I'd have to say I agree. I understand if not every brony shares that opinion, naturally, but I seriously love MLP:FIM's crazy characters and stories. And yes, this fandom is ridiculously entertaining.

@Muffins

That Applebloom does look pretty good.

Last edited Jun 04, 2012 at 02:40AM EDT

@Muffins

I'm sorry that this happens. Like I've said, I really like having you around, but if you're not enjoying the thread, then you shouldn't force yourself to post or anything. I understand what you're saying. Some users get preferential treatment in terms of karma, and some users refer to other users before others, even if they say the same thing.

As for Ponibooru, it's been down for a while now. I've started a boycott for my own reasons, but knowing the userbase there, it is a useless endeavor.

Anyway, my own reasons aside, you can refresh the page by clicking that button that comes up and you can view some images to a certain extent, but it's nearly impossible to upload images and it's very difficult to post.

Until it gets back to being functional, I've been using Derpibooru and Twenty Percent Cooler. Twenty Percent has more images, but it's seems as if you can't hotlink from there. Derpibooru has fewer images, but I can link rather easily, and the set-up is really neat and tidy.

I really like this version of the Cutie Mark Crusaders when they grow up. I always thought kp-shadowsquirrel's images were a little weird, and he/she certain has had some more…interesting images,…but the artist has some of the few Fluttershy pieces that I actually like.

Continuing adult CMC's, here is the Sweetie Belle version by the same artist:

Apparently, they're both .gifs, but I don't see it. Maybe they blink. I like the somewhat 8-bit look of it though (yes, I'm aware that's more than 8-bits). I don't understand why he didn't add a cutie mark though. I can understand why he wouldn't want to make one for Applebloom, since he'd have to be creative for a carpentry cutie mark, but Sweetie Belle's could just be a music note. I'm assuming that would be their special talents since that's what the rest of the fandom seems to go by.

I can't find the Scootaloo version by the artist (if there is one), so I'll post this one by SierraEx:

This one isn't actually bad, but you can see what I mean when I say they look similar to their older counterpart.

I may be commenting if only continue this fabulous combo of text walls so bear with me if my post quality lacks in comparison to my previous comments

@Muffins

Lately, I’ve been feeling like I have nothing to contribute anymore, and that people don’t care about what I have to say

I want to quickly point out that the experience you seem to be having here is perfectly understandable but I think you have less to worry about than you may realize. It sounds like you have this impression that "No response" means that "Nobody cares" but I assure you it is not like that at all. I, for one, am not ignoring your posts and I don't think others are either. Not only do I read them, I like your posts as I find them constructive and I think you still contribute. The same applies for everyone else here in this discussion.

I read everyone's posts and agreed to the point that I have nothing to add further on the discussion. I think you guys summed it up nicely. In that case I wouldn't have posted so you would not have known that I read and agreed with your posts. But that does not mean I ignored them. Make sense?

Even if what you said is restated by another it doesn't matter because you still added your own perspective and adding multiple perspectives are what matters in discussions: It's all about collating and understanding the most common and most agreed upon answer so we can come to a consensus. If you understand the topic then having your input is nice, even if not completely necessary

So don't feel too bummed out if you type up a long essay only to get nothing from it. At least it means nobody found anything they vehemently disagree with enough to point out.

Besides, it happens to all of us. I write long posts like this here from time to time and never once get a single reply. Especially Verbose and Phoneix: How often do they try to spark up an intelligent discussion only to get image dumps? But I like to think we don't let that discourage us. To be fair in a thread like this with many participants posting frequently; it is easy for huge posts to end up being ignored.

Large posts tend to frighten away the attention span of many users here so if the next guy posts a single image, if course it's going to steal your spotlight. It's just the nature of forums.

One more thing Muffins: Why not use the KYM image gallery? We've got every pony macro you can imagine and most have keywords so you just use the search bar and viola! That's exactly what I do and most of the time I get something that will suffice

See? It works!

Keyword: It works

I know it's rather inconvenient that you have to have an image or two to keep people reading in this thread but hey, what can you do? It's Pony General, not Gigantic Long Rant General. People come here for ponies and I can't blame them for ignoring what isn't

Now, do you feel more loved now? Or do you still feel ignored? If your condition still persists, hug this thing twice after dinner:

Then call me in the morning.

Last edited Jun 04, 2012 at 03:28AM EDT
Now, do you feel more loved now? Or do you still feel ignored?

Yeah, I feel better now. I hate to have sounded like an attention whore, but I felt it needed to be said. Thanks to both you and Verbose for your response. And to everyone else that felt they had nothing to add.

One more thing Muffins: Why not use the KYM image gallery? We’ve got every pony macro you can imagine and most have keywords so you just use the search bar and viola! That’s exactly what I do and most of the time I get something that will suffice.

Often, I usually find troll posts or R34 in the images. More to the point though, I figured most people didn't tag their images since the image gallery is mostly from a handful of people that upload hundreds of images (i.e. Dr Gregory Horse). Really, I guess I didn't give it much of a chance.

This is what I'm referring to when I'm talking about my ponibooru issues:

Once again, thanks for everyone's support. I have work to do now though, so I won't be responding to anyone else's input.

@Muffins
I can't speak to the trends on these forums since I just started posting here a couple days ago, but the image gallery is where I've been hanging out since October.
It's mostly just a lot of random joking but occasionally some very interesting discussions do pop up.
The constant influx of new content really acts as a kind of kick start, allowing people to strike up conversations that may not otherwise have happened.
It's very fast-paced sometimes but I like it. =)

@Adult CMCs
Since we're discussing adult CMCs, I'd like to hear some opinions on my concept of Scootaloo.
This is only a slight plug for my fic (5 star on EQD! Click my profile), but I like to imagine that adult Scootaloo is actually incapable of flight.
Originally, I thought of it on a whim that sounded kind of interesting, but the more I kicked the idea around, the more it fit.
Right now, the show has basically 2 main pegasi that are polar opposites when it comes to flight.
Rainbow Dash loves to fly, Fluttershy hates it (or is at least uninterested in it.)
Having Scootaloo grow up into a 'normal' pegasus would be nice no doubt, but she already has so much in common with Dash that they would practically be clones.
Having her be a flightless pegasus that wanted to fly is a good way to give her a unique role.

Secondly, and honestly more importantly, is her talent.
This bugged me for a while because clearly she will have a talent and cutie mark related to her scooter.
It's in her damn name. It's pretty much guaranteed.
Problem is, a scooter is only useful to a pony that can't fly.
Once Scootaloo learned to fly, what would she need to roll around for?
Her tricks wouldn't fare much better.
Who would care about Evel Kinevel if he could just fly away from his bike when a jump didn't go right?
Basically, her scooter talents would be essentially moot once her flight kicks in.

It was these thoughts that made me write my story where she finds out that her wings will never grow to full size, barring true flight from her forever but still allowing for her buzzing scooter pushing abilities.
It is a sad idea, I know, but it's one that really stuck in my head.
It makes a lot of sense to me, too, yet I've never really seen people talk about it.
I'm curious to know what everyone thinks whether you've read my fic or not.

Sadly, I have to go to bed now, but I'll be back to read any responses in eight hour or so. Nighty-night!

@Show vs Fandom

It's quite true that the show isn't anything all that special, at least on the surface. All of it's aspects are executed in a competent, quality manner, but no single aspect really stands out. You can't point at a solitary part of it and say "This is what makes the show so damn good", at least not without someone disputing your claim.

I think the show's forte is instead in how all those aspects come together in such perfect harmony. The characters, the setting, the voice acting, the music, etc. all complement eachother, accentuating strengths and obscuring weaknesses. That makes the show seem and feel more than the sum of it's parts. It's also why it's so hard to see the appeal of the show at first (aside from the whole girlyness factor) since it takes some seeing to realize just how sublime the execution is.

That said, the fandom does play a crucial factor in all this. Like the elements of the show itself, the fanworks and discussions complement the show, by calling attention to all those crucial little details you might have missed otherwise, by deepening your understanding of the characters and setting and a whole mess of other ways as well.

To say one of them is the lure and the other is the hook is to miss the point, in my opinion. The two exist in a state of symbiosis, each feeding the other, making it difficult to differentiate where the influence of one begins and ends. It is a complex question.

@Muffins

I may not post a whole lot either, but I do read the thread almost daily, making sure not to miss any post. So don't ever go thinking your stuff goes unnoticed and unappreciated. Besides, I doubt I'm the only lurker who seldom posts.

As for everything else, pretty much what Verbs and BSoD said.

@DeadParrot222

Aye, that is a good idea. It makes for a very effective character flaw and her desire to fly versus her inability to do so opens up possibilities for very tragic, yet touching stories. I've always felt that sort of narratives carry much more power and impact than the generic feel-good stories with a perfectly happy ending. Stories and endings of bittersweet nature are the ones people will remember most fondly.

@Music discussion

Pah, all your offerings are so very mainstream. I shall reveal to you things truly arcane and obscure!

It should come as no surprise that I have a major nerd-on for all things medieval, which is why Corvus Corax is pretty much my favourite band. Unsullied by the sound of modern instruments, they play the tunes that the peasants loved and the church hated; paganistic music glorifying the carnal pleasures of the material world and mocking the impossibility of a purely chaste and spiritual existence.
Here's some samples of their work: Havfru, Sol Solo, Qui Nous Demaine

Too anachronistic for your tastes? Well, try Blackmore's Night on for size. They do an admirable job of marrying the pleasant jauntiness of folk music with the cool edginess of rock's riffs. They tend to gravitate towards sappy love songs though, but hey, that's not all that bad of a thing and they do other stuff too, so no harm done.
Samples over yonder: Under A Violet Moon, Mond Tanz/Child In Time, Ghost Of A Rose

Something a bit more unconventional next, Gregorian is a band that does covers of songs by singing them like a church chant. Pretty hit-and-miss most of the time, but there's some gems in there. That, and I like the irony of heavy metal songs sung by a bunch of choir boys, hah.
Exempla hic: Nothing Else Matters, Lady D'Arbanville, Hell's Bells

>talking to really pretty girl
>lull in conversation
>my brony friend is right there
>start talking to him
>immediately discuss best pony in front of pretty non-brony girl

FLUTTERSHY HAS LEAST MANE 6 SCREEN TIME?!

@lasers

@stargazer

Flutters is like a cute nuke. They're just trying to use her responsibly. I think they said "nah fuck that" in hurricane fluttershy though lol.

Still makes me smile every time.

@Ponibooru

Oh man, I can't believe it's still down.

Oh Jesus, is there a lot of text on this page.

Alright, time to rapid-fire:

@Muffinator:

I read almost every post, including the long-ass ones. If I've already contributed to a discussion, I'm too late to join in, it's a touchy subject, etc. I won't post, and won't acknowledge those that do. I read your posts, but I don't always comment on them. I imagine most posters are the same way.

Also, regarding the adult CMC, I agree that they're depicted as clones a bit too often. And, even if it is weird, I find the prospect of them lacking cutie marks kinda neat. They are, and always will be, the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

On a quest to find out who they are…

And they will never stop their journey…

Not until they have their cutie marks voice crack.

@Dan:

I'm beginning to think the Discorderly Conduct guy loves Bushwoolies, and is just a closet Browooly.

@Deadparrot:

Sounds interesting, and could be pretty damn awesome if pulled off correctly. It's certainly more unique, and that will help pull readers in, at least somewhat.

Good luck with it, then.

@Brownmane:

Power metal's kinda medieval-ish without the restrictions of shit for musical instruments.

And, since this is a pony thread:

Speaking of ponies, I was on a brony trade server in TF2 last night. There was a dude giving out free keys, and everybody was saying how awesome he was. He mentioned his friends had been asking him to change his name to Santa, and he was on the fence.

I told him to change it to Rarity, since he was clearly the Element of Generosity.

#noregrets

Yeah…

So he did it.

Last edited Jun 04, 2012 at 10:10AM EDT

So, out of curiosity, how many of you have seen the railslove easter egg? For those that haven't…

1. Go to http://www.railslove.com (copy and paste that if you're too lazy to type it).
2. Enter the CAPCOM Code (Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Start/in this case, Enter).
3. ????
4. PROFIT!!!!

Flare Dancer wrote:

So, out of curiosity, how many of you have seen the railslove easter egg? For those that haven't…

1. Go to http://www.railslove.com (copy and paste that if you're too lazy to type it).
2. Enter the CAPCOM Code (Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Start/in this case, Enter).
3. ????
4. PROFIT!!!!

But anyway…

Does it bother anyone else when people call female fans of the show bronies? They're pegasisters, officially. Bronies are the male term, in all due respect.

I was just wondering if this bugged anyone else.

YOU HAPPY NOW VERBOSE, A WHOLE PAGE OF TL;DR FOR YOU TO READ? YOU HAPPY? YOU FINALLY GOT THE HEAVY CONVERSATION YOU LONGED FOR!

NOW GET BACK TO THE KIT- Stay awesome.

As for image editing software. I use Photoshop Elements 8. It was on my laptop when I bought it, end of story. I tried Gimp a few times, but it's just not as easy to use for me as Photoshop.

@Joe

I don't mind. I just call both genders bronies by standard unless the females ask me to call them pegasisters, but this hasn't happened so far.

>Music
>Not listening to Progressive Trance.
>ISHYGDDT

Last edited Jun 04, 2012 at 11:40AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!