Forums / General

191,266 total conversations in 5,245 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured Locked Locked
KYM Pony General V: We Just Don't Know What Went Wrong

Last posted Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT. Added Feb 19, 2012 at 11:27PM EST
9,954 conversations with 194 participants

KYM + StarGazer + trending ponies + curiosity + the inability to stop watching = I’m a brony now

I think it hit me that I was one when I found myself thinking one day, “I could be watching ponies instead of doing this.”

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 08:06AM EDT
Jun 03, 2012 at 08:04AM EDT

Dac wrote:

So, I have come to somewhat of a revelation and I thought you guys should here this. Now, before I start, let me just say that nothing will change. I will not leave, post less frequently, or stop discussing the show with you guys.
I have always wondered why I read MLP fanfics, looked at fan art, and discussed it with you guys so much. It seemed weird to me that I spent a good amount of time discussing ponies and what not even though I don’t really ever watch episodes after the first time. Why do I always discuss the dumbest things I can think of regarding mlp with you guys? Season 2 has been over for a while now and I have been watching other shows, and besides talking here or a fanfic every now and then, I haven’t really been spending much time with mlp. It made me realize that besides the characters, which I find to be amazing and lovable, the show is pretty much just average on my radar. It’s you guys that drive me to ponies. I really enjoy talking to you guys. As for the fanfics, I guess it’s because I love the characters, but the episodes never really quite do it for me. The fanfics fix that. Anyways, thanks for being so damn enjoyable to talk to guys.

This is actually true.

Without the fandom and community around the show, I would have never been this obsessed with Pones.

It would be something like Dexter’s Lab or Powerpuff Girls, shows that I enjoyed watching but never really did much about it after that.

I would basically watch the episodes say “wow, they actually turned MLP into something pretty good!” and promptly go upon my merry way.

So yes. Fandom is what drives me to ponies, Lyra plushies Warts and all.

Jun 03, 2012 at 08:09AM EDT

aerolyt wrote:

KYM + StarGazer + trending ponies + curiosity + the inability to stop watching = I’m a brony now

I think it hit me that I was one when I found myself thinking one day, “I could be watching ponies instead of doing this.”

I was basically the same way.

That was thanks to the MyLittleBrony thing. I was curious of KYM, so I can look at any other kind of memes that I might not had heard of before that I would like to know more about. The first thing that I did was looking at the MLP:FIM article.

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 08:39AM EDT
Jun 03, 2012 at 08:39AM EDT

GIANTDAD wrote:

Oh. Speaking of which when did you guy’s become bronies and how long have you been bronies? I think i stopped being an entitled little shit and became a brony around episode…what 30?

The first time I ever heard of FiM and bronies was while I was in some camp in 2011. One of the people I was with told me that there were people that liked MLP that called themselves “bronies”. At the time, I had no idea the show existed, so I figured it was related to the dolls from the 80s.

The first time MLP macro I saw was this:

I still had no idea there was a show currently running, so I just thought it was something taken from a TV show in the 80s. What ultimately sparked my interest was this video:

I shared it with a friend, and he told me it was from MLP. He then told me MLP was the bane of the Earth and to stay away from it at all costs. I didn’t listen, and later I found the MLP article on KYM. I finally watched the show on December 24th, 2011 when my brother revealed he watched the show (he was also wearing an RD shirt). I decided to give it a shot, and watched the first two episodes. I didn’t like them much, but then I watched the third and thought it was good. I decided I liked the show when I watched every episode consecutively that night. I’m not sure which one specifically did it though.

And that’s how Equestria was made.

@Dac

I’m actually in agreement. After I finished watching the episodes, of course I would go seek other pony outlets (like art, fics, etc.), but that’s just because I act on impulses. That sort of impulse after watching the show led me to joining the thread (and the site, I’ll admit). And this community is the only reason I’m still obsessed with ponies, even with it’s downs.

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 12:06PM EDT
Jun 03, 2012 at 12:06PM EDT

Top Fun wrote:

Guys, the image gallery.

Guys, the forum.

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 12:24PM EDT
Jun 03, 2012 at 12:23PM EDT

Dac wrote:

So, I have come to somewhat of a revelation and I thought you guys should here this. Now, before I start, let me just say that nothing will change. I will not leave, post less frequently, or stop discussing the show with you guys.
I have always wondered why I read MLP fanfics, looked at fan art, and discussed it with you guys so much. It seemed weird to me that I spent a good amount of time discussing ponies and what not even though I don’t really ever watch episodes after the first time. Why do I always discuss the dumbest things I can think of regarding mlp with you guys? Season 2 has been over for a while now and I have been watching other shows, and besides talking here or a fanfic every now and then, I haven’t really been spending much time with mlp. It made me realize that besides the characters, which I find to be amazing and lovable, the show is pretty much just average on my radar. It’s you guys that drive me to ponies. I really enjoy talking to you guys. As for the fanfics, I guess it’s because I love the characters, but the episodes never really quite do it for me. The fanfics fix that. Anyways, thanks for being so damn enjoyable to talk to guys.

I’m going to echo Burning Phoneix here.

MLP never became what it is by itself. The internet has made it what it is today. What I mean by that is the fact that the Brony community itself makes up most of MLP’s mass and gives it its gravity.

Image how differently things would be if MLP never showed up on 4chan’s radar:

Nobody would have trolled with it, which means it wouldn’t have caused a massive shitstorm on 4chan

Without the massive shitstorm on 4chan, people would have ignored it rather than make something out of it

If nobody made anything about it (art, stories, discussions, trolling attempts and such) it wouldn’t have formed a fanbase.

If it didn’t form a fanbase, it wouldn’t have registered as a massive trending event on KYM

If it never trended on KYM, many of us would have never known about MLP and joined this fandom.

So it really does just come down to you guys. The show itself is average to me, I like it as much as I liked Samurai Jack and Fairly Odd Parents. But the community (you guys) draw me into this fandom above all else. I love the artwork, I love the discussions, I love ponifying things and of course I like having you lot as friends. If the community wasn’t there to provide that; like Phoneix, my reaction to MLP would have just been “nice cartoon”, then I would have been on my merry way.

@Image Gallery

Yes we know. Looks like a secondary attack following the Spardo spam that happened earlier in the General forum. I guess the trolls gotta hit more than one place to maximize effect.

Nobody panic…in fact, don’t react whatsoever…just wait for a mod to delete the images

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 01:21PM EDT
Jun 03, 2012 at 01:19PM EDT

Regarding Mister J’s historical pictures…

I’m inclined to agree with the poster who criticized putting a pony into the mix.

It’s nothing short of sad that a pony was required to evoke any sort of emotion from that viewer.

Also, skill-wise, he’s right: while it’s a nice photo edit, it isn’t difficult to do, if you have the right tools.

@Chris below me…

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 01:43PM EDT
Jun 03, 2012 at 01:39PM EDT

@Chris:

I’ve seen that. I think it’s two trolls (since only two people are part of that group on deviantart) and pretty much their entire page is comments of “’WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?!”

Jun 03, 2012 at 01:42PM EDT

@Chris:
>Mfw I first saw that

I really want to know why someone would do that. I mean what does it accomplish? In my opinion it’s a couple of trolls doing it.

Pic unrelated.

Jun 03, 2012 at 01:46PM EDT

burning_phoneix wrote:

@Chris:

I’ve seen that. I think it’s two trolls (since only two people are part of that group on deviantart) and pretty much their entire page is comments of “’WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?!”

I’m going to agree with this.

Jun 03, 2012 at 01:53PM EDT

I’m just curious, is it like a brony right of passage to eventually get on an internet soapbox about humanity and the whole idea of the common good and caring for others? Because I think i finally passed that milestone today.

Jun 03, 2012 at 02:07PM EDT

@burning_phoneix (among others)

I think that I am a little different from that in the sense that I actually was hooked on the show for a while. A long while. Several months (March to July, I think.) I remember during lunch breaks in the summer, I would go out to my vehicle and listen to rainbowcrash88’s 8-bit versions of Winter Wrap-Up, Art of the Dress, and At The Gala for a full hour, and I’d go home and watch two or three episodes of FiM before I fell asleep every night.

I do think that talking to people online has sorta decreased that hook, but I still spend a lot of time on Pony-related material. If I’m free, then I always have a Ponibooru tab up to look at images of cute ponies. I don’t watch episodes as often, but I watch them a lot more often than any other show. So I think I’m still hooked on the show. The fandom has always been interesting objectively, and I have made some friends from within the fandom, but I really think the show is what keeps me around.

Jun 03, 2012 at 02:07PM EDT

I’m back. I’ll have to leave for the weekend again, since it’s summer. I’m going to be doing that a lot.

Anyways, I became a brony right after Season 1 ended, because my brother told me about it. He was on Bungie.net, and got exposed to it. After he got over the initial ‘they are cancer’ reaction, he watched some episodes, as did I. And there you have it.

@Chris:

Jun 03, 2012 at 02:23PM EDT

Remember that gif I made of the Lyra Plushie?

Tumblr is a cruel place.

(neither of those are me btw)

Jun 03, 2012 at 02:37PM EDT

Apparently Vinyl scratch plays Counter-strike:

Anyways i became a brony just before i started to post at the end of the 2nd Pony general thread (October last year).
I first knew about MLP in the image gallery of first world problems later.
As time went on i learned more about the show and the fandom and then when i finally started to watch episodes i became a brony

Jun 03, 2012 at 02:56PM EDT

Verbose wrote:

@burning_phoneix (among others)

I think that I am a little different from that in the sense that I actually was hooked on the show for a while. A long while. Several months (March to July, I think.) I remember during lunch breaks in the summer, I would go out to my vehicle and listen to rainbowcrash88’s 8-bit versions of Winter Wrap-Up, Art of the Dress, and At The Gala for a full hour, and I’d go home and watch two or three episodes of FiM before I fell asleep every night.

I do think that talking to people online has sorta decreased that hook, but I still spend a lot of time on Pony-related material. If I’m free, then I always have a Ponibooru tab up to look at images of cute ponies. I don’t watch episodes as often, but I watch them a lot more often than any other show. So I think I’m still hooked on the show. The fandom has always been interesting objectively, and I have made some friends from within the fandom, but I really think the show is what keeps me around.

I’m not saying the show itself isn’t good. Like I’ve mentioned many times, the animation is really quite good on this show. I would watch it even without the fandom but the fandom itself is what propels pones for me to higher level of obsession.

For example, I love Fire Emblem. But when I think of Fire Emblem, I think off all the fun I had in that fandom and all the friends I made.

So maybe in the future when I remember ponies, I won’t think of Twilight Sparkle, AJ ,Scootaloo or Luna…

I’ll think of my tl;dr wars with Verbose. My sitcom-esque conversations with Dac-Attack. Waiting for X-Singular to die via Syrian Commandos. Trolling Connor and Cite with my human supremacist ramblings. Annoying Muumi with drawing requests. Pondering the state of Daniel Vasquez’s mind. Making fun of Algernon for living in Newcastle (really I pity you :P ).Overanalyzing things with Opspe and just…hanging around BSOD (Really, all we got along just fine…no weird things.)

I.
I
EEP!

(come on Phoenix, be a man and express your feelings)
I love you guys (even the ones I didn’t mention, sorry)

Jun 03, 2012 at 03:18PM EDT

Dac (AKA ‘Master Douchebender’, apparently) wrote:

I’ve felt this way for quite some time now. It didn’t take until the end of season 2 for me to figure it out though. I was thinking like this even before season 2 started. I wouldn’t just call the show ‘average’. It is pretty damn good, but it isn’t the mind-blowing work of art the fandom makes it out to be. Sure, it’s cute, it’s funny, it’s well written, and the characters are amazing, but it’s not quite that good. I like FiM, but I’m not going to be building a shrine to ‘The Great Fausticorn’ anytime soon.

The fandom has always been more important to me. I think if I’d discovered the show somewhere other than KYM, I might have just watched through the first season, enjoyed it, and moved on. The old KYM brony community in the article comments was what really drew me in initially, and despite innumerable changes to it over the last year, it’s still what brings me back day after day. The internet is usually a pretty harsh place, but the people discussing FiM on this site seemed to get on so well that I couldn’t help but want to be a part of it all.

Other sites still play a large part in making this fandom enjoyable. I head over to EqD every day to find new comics, animations or fanfics to entertain myself, I follow a few dozen Pony Tumblrs, and I even check out Ponibooru occasionally if I’m having a really boring night. The interactions with people in this thread have always been more important than that though. So, yeah… you guys rule, so please keep doing what you’re doing.

@everyone
Sorry for missing the SynchTube last night, and sorry for my recent lack of activity. I’ve got some pretty huge exams coming up over the next week and a half, so posting ponies isn’t anywhere near the top of my priorities list right now. Expect to hear very little from me over the next 10 days.

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 04:20PM EDT
Jun 03, 2012 at 04:19PM EDT

I wanted to say something while writing this post, but forgot why.

So have this pic:

Ill edit this post once I remember what I was trying to write

Jun 03, 2012 at 04:31PM EDT

I would of still like the show and watched it, but in more of a secretive manner if the fandom was MUCH more smaller. I most likely did it because I finally found out a group of people that are nicer or trying to be then the average internet user.

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 04:42PM EDT
Jun 03, 2012 at 04:41PM EDT

So I’m currently in an ‘arguement’ on Youtube with a Sonicfag.(I put quotations on arguement because an arguement requires actual intellectual back-and-forth, and while I try to make good and sound points in my comments, he goes straight to insults and calling me ‘butthurt’.) I now realize how much I love the maturity of this fandom. (Well most anyway). All this ‘peaceful arguement without any hurt feelings debate’ that goes on in this fandom is right up my alley…

I miss talking with you guys when I argue with such buffoons online. I swear the world is crazy these days! Not me! It’s THEM! I TELLS YA MAN!

Oh, Tavi. ahem Anyway, I would like to ask a question, if I may.
What are your favorite musicians or bands outside of the brony ones?
Aside from my absolute devotion to Queen and Tears for Fears.
I love bands that have a great operatic and dramatic quality to them. Bands like

Coheed&Cambria

and The Protomen

Bands that tell such a detailed backstory and universe to their songs. Basically all Concept Rock.
And while I do like any and all genres that can catch my attention, I see the world of pop music to be oversaturated with crap, and while I hate ‘serious’ artists, I still have a level of respect for musicians that don’t have their head up their own arse, like LMFAO and Cobra Starship.

Anyway, the more I look at it, the more I realize the truth of this song.

TL;DR: What’s yo fave music, ya’ll?

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 05:42PM EDT
Jun 03, 2012 at 05:37PM EDT

@Slinker:

If I had to pick a favorite band outside of the brony community it would have to be Creature Feature, Gorillaz, Daft Punk, etc. I basically like all kinds of music except for extremely heavy metal and gangster rap. Some example songs:

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 05:52PM EDT
Jun 03, 2012 at 05:50PM EDT

Music, eh?
Well, this is certainly tempered by proximity (since I just saw the AWESOME stage show last night), but Green Day is pretty high on the list.

Also, I don’t think that Johnathan Coulton (writer of Portal’s Still Alive & Want You Gone) has ever made a ‘bad’ song.
I love his unpredictable nerd-rock style, too.
I mean, who writes a genuinely touching love song between Pluto and its moon?

Or between a ship and a giant squid?

Hmm, some others…
Rush, Boston, BareNakedLadies, Smash Mouth, Coldplay, R.E.M. and quite a lot of others with very little pattern to be found.
For the most part, I like just about everything other than really heavy metal (screaming/growling stuff) and rap.
Pop has always been a nebulous genre that I can’t say I particularly like, but a few gems surface occasionally.

Jun 03, 2012 at 06:31PM EDT

Sup gang!
“Its About Time” I joined this thread.
I’m actually supposed to be working on a presentation for my health class right now,
but that’s future me’s problem.
Was actually thinking of sneaking something pony related into it but I don’t think “trichomoniasis” is relatable.
Anywho how many of you lucky devils are you going to bronycon?

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 07:01PM EDT
Jun 03, 2012 at 06:41PM EDT

I listen to everything from this:

To this:

To this:

And even some of this:

@SweetAndDelicious
I’m not…

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 06:53PM EDT
Jun 03, 2012 at 06:50PM EDT

@SweetAndDelicion:

’Verbose is the local TL;DR king and a mod, RandomMan gets all the bitches and is generally the best guy ever, Algy likes fan-fics, Muffinator and I are clones (according to Verbose), Ric is a pegasus with augmentation bullshit, Popper is a Mandalorian with the hots for Chrysalis, Pyro is Nightmare Moon’s waifu (and vice-versa), Twins is a girl that’s been strangely absent, Dac provides the shitstorms and controversy, and Princess Celestia is best pony.

Now that that’s out of the way, make sure to be kind, contribute to discussions when you can and try to be nice and you’ll do fine. If you go to the Just For Fun forum, Captain Serious (AKA Thomas Nair) is kind of a dick, and hates bronies with a passion. Try to troll him as often as possible.

El Slinker, Windigo, Zarathh, and everybody else are awesome bros that come before hoes.’

Reposting that for newbies.

As for my favorite bands outside of ponies?

Along with the obvious ones like Queen, Journey, Gorillaz, etc.

Jun 03, 2012 at 07:15PM EDT

I always wanted to ask this question:

What do you think would happen if the majority of 9gaggers become bronies? Not what you would do, but what do you expect to happen in a broader sense of the Internet.

Jun 03, 2012 at 07:42PM EDT

Mister J wrote:

What do you think would happen if the majority of 9gaggers become bronies? Not what you would do, but what do you expect to happen in a broader sense of the Internet.

Trolls and haters will start posting picture of ponies pasted with “le” all over it to the KYM image gallery.

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 08:07PM EDT
Jun 03, 2012 at 07:54PM EDT

SweetAndDelicious wrote:

Sup gang!
“Its About Time” I joined this thread.
I’m actually supposed to be working on a presentation for my health class right now,
but that’s future me’s problem.
Was actually thinking of sneaking something pony related into it but I don’t think “trichomoniasis” is relatable.
Anywho how many of you lucky devils are you going to bronycon?

I plan to go, I just need to find some way to tell my mother that I’m obsessed with ponies. I’ve yet to figure it out.
Time to put on my thinking cap!

Jun 03, 2012 at 08:16PM EDT

Explosives wrote:

’Verbose is the local TL;DR king and a mod,

Captain Serious (AKA Thomas Nair) is kind of a dick, and hates bronies with a passion. Try to troll him as often as possible.

Please try to leave him alone. He’s trying his best to avoid ponies. Trolling is in bad taste.

Jun 03, 2012 at 08:38PM EDT

@burning:

>2012
>‘trying his best to avoid ponies’
>Mentions them more than any other user
>Says bronies spam ponies
>Spams everything he likes

Bro. Bro, seriously. Seriously, bro. Bro, come on. Seriously, come on. Come on, bro, seriously. Seriously, bro, come on.

Jun 03, 2012 at 08:52PM EDT

Joe Amethyst wrote:

I plan to go, I just need to find some way to tell my mother that I’m obsessed with ponies. I’ve yet to figure it out.
Time to put on my thinking cap!

Your ‘thinking cap’ has Derpy on it?
I can’t even imagine the ideas that must come to you when you wear it…
Good luck!

Jun 03, 2012 at 08:53PM EDT

Explosive Lasers AKA Solaire AKA Sexiest wrote:

@burning:

>2012
>‘trying his best to avoid ponies’
>Mentions them more than any other user
>Says bronies spam ponies
>Spams everything he likes

Bro. Bro, seriously. Seriously, bro. Bro, come on. Seriously, come on. Come on, bro, seriously. Seriously, bro, come on.

Nair is secretly a brony that cannot deal with the fact that he likes ponies. He knows he likes them, but hates himself for liking ponies.

So he mentions his hate every so often to help him deal with his love for ponies and to reassure himself that he hates ponies.

Or he likes ponies so much, he is promoting it through his “hate”.

Either way, he is a closet brony.

Jun 03, 2012 at 08:56PM EDT

FAd wrote:

Nair is secretly a brony that cannot deal with the fact that he likes ponies. He knows he likes them, but hates himself for liking ponies.

So he mentions his hate every so often to help him deal with his love for ponies and to reassure himself that he hates ponies.

Or he likes ponies so much, he is promoting it through his “hate”.

Either way, he is a closet brony.

This….actually makes a lot of sense. Now i don’t think i’ll ever be able to look at thomas the same way i do now.

on an unrelated note i have a question for all of you.

Out of all the episodes out there. What is your favorite one? I guess mines is either the one when twilight get’s that owl or when pinkie pie has to weird twitches.

Jun 03, 2012 at 10:01PM EDT

@Thread

Try not to let discussion stray too far from the topic. It’s OK to deviate a little, but please try to specifically request off-topic…topics (i.e. favorite non-pony music/artists.) I may have to discuss that (not in a bad way) with you guys. I have…ideas

@Mister J

I don’t know enough of 9gag to be able to say. I feel like it would just add onto the numbers of the brony fandom (which is largely unknown, but Sethisto feels confident that 700,000 is a good number, and I think a 6 digit number, even smaller ones, would be a good bet.)

I think you may see more memetic content, which in turn may increase visibility of the show and the fandom, as 9gag seems to be referenced by some people in the mainstream, but I don’t know if it’s going to be or cause the next big thing in the fandom.

Jun 03, 2012 at 10:15PM EDT

…..can I have more answers?
Just because I’m not a brony doesn’t mean I’m not interested in how you people think……..

Also this. (see comments)

What do you guys think?

Jun 03, 2012 at 10:15PM EDT

@Acetone:

Oh, I know that. I’ve known since I met him, because he does a shitty job of disguising it, really.

@Seal:

Mare-Do-Well :D

……..

Either A Canterlot Wedding Part One or Part Two.

Jun 03, 2012 at 10:17PM EDT

@Mister J

I’m honestly not sure what to say about that picture. That post has the scent of controversy about it, and I tend to keep my ponies in my happy place. As for 9gag, it’s not in my sphere of sites that I visit, so I dunno about that either.

@Favorite Episode

One does not simply choose an overall favorite; I love many of them in rather different ways. For example, the finale of S2 was great in terms of story and interaction and music etc., but had too little Fluttershy. Luna eclipsed was amazing too, but had none of the awesome songs that some of my other favorites have. Heck, The Last Roundup is way up there for a bunch of reasons as well. Could you narrow it down a bit, give some specific criteria?

Now, I wasn’t sure if I would post this, but I know we have a couple artists here, so maybe you could help me out with some critique. I made this in Inkscape:

Any comments on the deviation page would be very much appreciated!

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 10:32PM EDT
Jun 03, 2012 at 10:27PM EDT

@Explosive

Yes Nair points out how much he hates Bronies so much (Pay special attention to the use of the word ‘Brony’ rather than “pony”) it’s incredibly irritating but seriously, just ignore him whenever he does his anti-Brony thing. Leave him alone and he leaves you alone. He’s not that bad if you get to know him.

Anyway just to back up something I said earlier:

The show itself is average to me, I like it as much as I liked Samurai Jack and Fairly Odd Parents

I just realized that this may make me sound like one of those Bronies that don’t care about the show and are just in it for the popularity.

I assure everyone this is not the case. I definitely would not have joined the fandom if the show didn’t interest me. I definitely enjoy it more than others.

I compared it to Samurai Jack and Fairly Odd Parents, but those were still good cartoons that I really liked. There are just some cartoons that I would rate higher. But MLP isn’t underwhelming in any way.

Perhaps what I should have said is that the fandom itself sets MLP apart from other cartoons of its class which gives the fandom a self sustaining effect.

But in any case, I really do relate to what Dac, Algy and Phoneix are all saying

@Phoneix

just…hanging around BSOD (Really, all we got along just fine…no weird things.)

Yep…just hanging…that’s all, nothing else. If you catch us doing something weird it isn’t what it looks like

@Mister J

What do you think would happen if the majority of 9gaggers become bronies

As far as the 9gaggers themselves go: They would become Bronies.

No really, that’s all I imagine will happen. The 9gaggers wouldn’t change aside from posting ponies more often. Perhaps I’m just not using my imagination here.

To reflect what Verbose is saying, we can certainly expect an increase in visibility of the meme since 9gag is quite popular with a broader audience. We might see more refrences pop up. I also think the fandom might get a boost in younger members since 9 gag is mostly populated by kids. But that’s about all I imagine will happen

I also agree that it may potentially result in more terribly made pony macro’s popping up in the MLP image gallery here.

@The image Mister J linked

Now as for the image, I felt the first comment from MrTutorial summed it up pretty good, hence its upvotes. I feel very indifferent to the context of ponies used in that image, in fact I think that’s irrelevant. Rather I feel it comes down to the “familiarity/unfamiliarity” factor as MrTutorial explained

The first commenter (to the image on deviant art) was just expressing how he was influenced by that cause and affect. The second commenter after that overreacted to a non-issue.

Mind you some people are able to feel empathetic to certain things easier than others. Some people will cave into tears at the sight of a disaster on photo, others need to see said disaster in person in order to feel an emotional response. It’s not bad to be the latter, it just means your brain handles emotion differently.

@Favorite bands/music/brony artists.

I think you all know where I stand on that topic:

Official member

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 10:49PM EDT
Jun 03, 2012 at 10:35PM EDT

@Verbose Sorry about that, I just wanted to see what tastes people had. Y’know, get to know people. If I may, let me revoke that, I don’t mean to derail this thread.

@Seal Either Hurrican Fluttershy or Royal Wedding…or Mare-Do-Well…or Read it and Weep.
Yeah.

Jun 03, 2012 at 10:48PM EDT

Mister J wrote:

Well, for starters, I don’t think this’ll ever happen. 9gag’s type of community doesn’t fit the brony culture. A lot of 9gaggers are unexperienced to the internet and are mainly active on Facebook and other social media when it comes to online conversations. It’s not the type of userbase that will accept MLP. They’ll look at it as what it is, a kids show about pastel colered ponies.

But if it will happen. First the number of ponifications would increase. But a lot of new ones would be crappy photoshops, not much original art. MLP will make more appearances in Rage Comics and Advice Animals posted on 9gag. We’ll also get more crappy, short lived, fads. Nothing big that’ll actually take off.

But there’s also the risk of 9gag’s userbase and it’s size. Their userbase is bigger than most seperate sites, you can’t avoid that fact. So just like most communities, opinions on MLP get divided. You get like, neutral, and dislike towards the show. Knowing the size, tension will surely increase surrounding the show and more discussion will take place on social media sites.

But that’s also where it stays. Possible discussion on 9gag about MLP will stay on 9gag and has a very unlikely chance to spread to other sites and communities.

So overall, I think the impact will be negative. But I doubt it’ll ever happen. I have visited 9gag a few times and can confirm that MLP related content is currently still very minimal.

Jun 03, 2012 at 10:57PM EDT

@Millennial Dan
Here is my review, the hand which is holding Derpy is at a to steep of an angle. Derpy looks a bit masculine and possibly disproportional, but I think that is caused by her masculine face. The shadowing is bad, There are shadows being casted in multiple directions which throws off my sense of where your light is coming from. In addition if you light is going to Derpy’s face then there should be no shadow being casted in front of her or beside her. In conclusion, it is a great and a long-shot from my crappy Microsoft Word picture, but it still needs work.

Jun 03, 2012 at 10:59PM EDT

Tim the Enchanter wrote:

@Millennial Dan
Here is my review, the hand which is holding Derpy is at a to steep of an angle. Derpy looks a bit masculine and possibly disproportional, but I think that is caused by her masculine face. The shadowing is bad, There are shadows being casted in multiple directions which throws off my sense of where your light is coming from. In addition if you light is going to Derpy’s face then there should be no shadow being casted in front of her or beside her. In conclusion, it is a great and a long-shot from my crappy Microsoft Word picture, but it still needs work.

I appreciate it. Lighting seems surprisingly difficult to control on Inkscape. For most of the characters, I have the lighting coming from above, but for Lyra, it’s coming from the right. I’ll certainly have to fix that. As for Derpy, that is also a good point, and it’s probably the reason why she’s my least-liked vector so far. Again, thanks for your input!

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 11:12PM EDT
Jun 03, 2012 at 11:08PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!