Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,712 total conversations in 9,943 threads

+ New Thread

Which is better: MLP: FiM or Pokemon?

Last posted Oct 09, 2011 at 07:13PM EDT. Added Oct 02, 2011 at 03:45PM EDT
63 posts from 47 users

Wait, Pokémon as in the anime, or Pokémon as in the games?
They're completely different in their own way.
While the anime covers the story of a boy called Satoshi (I WON'T REFFER TO HIM AS YOU KNOW HOW EVER AGAIN), the games tell the story of how YOU become a Pokémon master.
I would like to cite Shigesato Itoi (creator of Mother) here:
“The very lives you’re living now are MOTHER 4.”
What he meant saying this was that the main idea of the Mother saga was to make you feel you were inside the game, venturing yourself through all the dangers, reliefs and hearthwarming moments the games presented. That's why most RPGs ask you what's YOUR name, not the hero's name. In the Mother case, it asked how were your parents called (3), the name of your pet (2,3) your favorite food and your friends names; Itoi wanted to make such a deep connection between his work and your life, that's why the real world is Mother 4. The same goes for Pokémon. You'll find creatures that will befriend you, and you might collect them as well, you live your own adventure, whether it's old-school, Nuzlocke, or even grinding, it doesn't matter, IT'S YOUR GAME, YOU MAKE IT!
The anime cuts the message of such a complex RPG, that's one of the reasons why I really dislike people calling themselves (YOU KNOW HOW) since he's the hero of the anime; that's right, he's the hero of his adventure, NOT YOURS. You're wasting such a grand opportunity of living a great experience by doing that.
And this is why you can't really cover up everything Pokémon related on the same sack.
Now tell me, Pokémon as in the anime, or Pokémon as in the games?
And about MLP:FiM… I don't really know, sorry.

Last edited Oct 02, 2011 at 04:37PM EDT

Awesome comparison.

Brightly Colored Ponies x Small Monsters that fight each other

Neutral Response ²

And also, i don't believe that FiM will have as much seasons as Pokémon. FiM will probably be cancelled at the end of Season 3, or even earlier, so it's hard to make a decent comparison.

Last edited Oct 02, 2011 at 05:16PM EDT

What's this about bait? I just see a tasty worm that looks like it's been impaled on a hook tied to a string going up to a silhouette of a man in a boat that says "Fishing" on it.

Pokèmon has…like, fifty seasons of a continuous arc. It's has one of the most (if not the most) successful game franchises ever (I forget which came first.) Between the game and the show (not even considering the manga,) it's changed the very culture of kids in America for…15 years now?

FiM is just one generation of a show. FiM only has generally despised, previous generations of cartoons, all of which tried to fit a hyper stereotypical mold to sell toys, mostly. FiM has the same intention, but it's going about it in a different way. The hype for the show's greatness, however, may just come because it's better developed than most cartoons for the target demographic. But I do love the show.

I really like both, but FiM needs more time for a comparison to the beast that is all of the Pokèmon generations. It's not even fair.

tl;dr Which show has Gary Fvcking Oak?

If you include the games, Pokemon, I could not give a hoot about the show, but even I must admit the games are good.

Last edited Oct 02, 2011 at 05:27PM EDT

Obviously Pokemon is going win this thing, it was apart of most of our childhoods. MLP is a fucking great show but pokemon was always there for us as a kid. Pokemon forever, yo. Pokemon is higher then most of the things we fell in love with on the internet. The only people who are gonna vote for MLP are hardcore bronies that have no interest in pokemon. It's kinda annoying me how half the posts in here are awaiting a shitstorm.

Wow, I can't believe it. So far we've actually avoided a shitstorm.
So is this the true beginning of RussianFedora's reign as troll king? Because it's sort of a failed first attempt…
Anyway, you guys know my stance on ponies. I'm getting out of here before things turn volatile, because they very well might.

Hey guise, I heard My Lit…
Nope, not gonna fall for that.

I'll go with Pokémon. Pokémon was something I had since I was young. I saw the first episode air on tv and I played both Pokémon Red an Silver on my GBC. It was something I enjoyed from the first moment. Even after all these years, I still love it. As much as I like MLP, it can't compete to all the fun I had with Pokémon. The fun I still have with it.

Last edited Oct 02, 2011 at 08:46PM EDT

As far as animation, story, or character quality, I'd have to say that in terms of animated shows, MLP is much better.

But, Pokemon was what I grew up with and it was something that greatly affected everyone my age and can't be judged by what it quantitatively is. Pokemon is and will be a larger part of me than MLP will be.

It also has a less annoying fandom, IMO.

Pimp said it. The verdict in here will be that MLP is of a much higher caliber in terms of quality, especially since the Pokemon anime has seen a significant decrease in such quality over the last ten years. However, Pokemon was obviously a huge part of this generation's childhood/adolescence, and we shall hold onto it firmly because of it. Ultimately, as we move into the bleakness of adulthood, we will have MLP to stave off our eventual cynicism, and they're probably gonna come out with at least 200 new Pokemon by 2015, with new games to last a lifetime. As long as we have both, the world will be much easier to live in.

Fridge wrote:

Pimp said it. The verdict in here will be that MLP is of a much higher caliber in terms of quality, especially since the Pokemon anime has seen a significant decrease in such quality over the last ten years. However, Pokemon was obviously a huge part of this generation's childhood/adolescence, and we shall hold onto it firmly because of it. Ultimately, as we move into the bleakness of adulthood, we will have MLP to stave off our eventual cynicism, and they're probably gonna come out with at least 200 new Pokemon by 2015, with new games to last a lifetime. As long as we have both, the world will be much easier to live in.

more like around 400.

Fridge wrote:

the Pokemon anime has seen a significant decrease in such quality over the last ten years.

Says you. Cilan is fabulous in more than one way, and Team Rocket became competent for the first 20 episodes of the B/W arc. Instead of blasting off, they flew away on jetpacks.

Nintendork64 wrote:

Wow, I can't believe it. So far we've actually avoided a shitstorm.
So is this the true beginning of RussianFedora's reign as troll king? Because it's sort of a failed first attempt…
Anyway, you guys know my stance on ponies. I'm getting out of here before things turn volatile, because they very well might.

What? I'm not trolling.

I posed a sincere question stemming from my limitless curiosity on the subject.

Philip J. Fry wrote:

the Pokemon anime has seen a significant decrease in such quality over the last ten years.

Says you. Cilan is fabulous in more than one way, and Team Rocket became competent for the first 20 episodes of the B/W arc. Instead of blasting off, they flew away on jetpacks.

Chris wrote:

As far as animation, story, or character quality, I'd have to say that in terms of animated shows, MLP is much better.

But, Pokemon was what I grew up with and it was something that greatly affected everyone my age and can't be judged by what it quantitatively is. Pokemon is and will be a larger part of me than MLP will be.

It also has a less annoying fandom, IMO.

This is just what I was thinking, except for the fandom part. Honestly, I would rather listen to a few hardcore bronies talk about the show than listen to a couple hardcore pokemon fans talk about the show/their pokemon games. This is just my opinion of course, but I still have to choose Pokemon as long as we are talking about the games and not the show.

Didin't get it. I grew up with Pokémon too, until i realized that the show was pure garbage. Maybe it's just me, but i'd rather watch FiM than Pokémon. To hell with nostalgia.

Yet, i keep my Neutral Response, as i don't know wich is the best, i would rather watch FiM (What?).

Same thing for the games, i never had much patience to play Pokémon (I only play when i'm freaking bored), especially the games that launched after the 2nd Generation.

Last edited Oct 03, 2011 at 03:41PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!