Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,712 total conversations in 9,943 threads

+ New Thread

Any tips and tidbits on making a Fighting Game?

Last posted Aug 18, 2012 at 05:29PM EDT. Added Jul 27, 2012 at 11:58AM EDT
103 posts from 22 users

Now that I finally have time to work on that fighting game I was talking about years ago, I found out how hard it is doing so. I have Fighter Factory Ultimate, so that's somewhat easing a few things. I just wanted to know if any of you guys had any tips, ideas or stories that could help me on my project.

Also the silhouettes above belong to four of the game's characters. Since this is JFF, let's make a game out of this. Can ya guess who the four characters are? First one to guess all four gets a drawing!

Last edited Jul 27, 2012 at 11:59AM EDT

Heavy Weapons wrote:

Add an adventure mode. We need a storyline as more as just pummeling random people.

I'm not sure if I could implement an adventure mode in the Mugen Engine, but I could try. At most I could put arcade mode cutscenes for each character. If there's a way to input an adventure mode, give it to me.

@Jimmicus: That was fast. The last girl's name is Madotsuki, but the series name is close enough. What'cha want?

Be sure to save the best characters for a DLC, that isn't even a downloaded-content, instead try with disc-loaded-content so people pay you for features they already have in the disc.
This message brought to you by Capcom.

Now dead serious: be sure to add a cast with likable characters to EVERYONE, just one ryu is enough, keep in mind that everyone will attempt to spam the hell out of every special move, carefull with corner combos, careful when nerfing, careful with THE FINAL BOSS and tutorial mode, for god's sake. Aaaand that's it I think, good luck mate and i want that Jimmicus the Warclock as a playable character for maximum rustling he he

DID YOU SAY FIGHTING GAMES!

First off you need characters.
Then you need a good story to get them to meet.
The mechanics of the game, makes sure to make an anti infinite function somewhere.
Air blocks?
4 or 6 button layout.
a guard button, or hold back to block.
ASK ME ANYTHING

Suspended wrote:

Be sure to save the best characters for a DLC, that isn't even a downloaded-content, instead try with disc-loaded-content so people pay you for features they already have in the disc.
This message brought to you by Capcom.

Now dead serious: be sure to add a cast with likable characters to EVERYONE, just one ryu is enough, keep in mind that everyone will attempt to spam the hell out of every special move, carefull with corner combos, careful when nerfing, careful with THE FINAL BOSS and tutorial mode, for god's sake. Aaaand that's it I think, good luck mate and i want that Jimmicus the Warclock as a playable character for maximum rustling he he

That's the thing, If there's gonna be new characters, it better for them to be left for the sequel. At most I'm going for 40 characters max. Balancing is key, of course, I gotta keep in check with that.

@ANN HIRO: I gonna go 6 button. I got nothing against 4 button, but 6 button feels more hefty to me.

Also guys, thanks for all of the "what to do," but I also want some "how to do" as well.

Well we'll need a story mode. Not only that but i think there should be different types of modes. Like an arcade mode and a challenge mode.

20% Cooler than Ice Rinsankajugin wrote:

That's the thing, If there's gonna be new characters, it better for them to be left for the sequel. At most I'm going for 40 characters max. Balancing is key, of course, I gotta keep in check with that.

@ANN HIRO: I gonna go 6 button. I got nothing against 4 button, but 6 button feels more hefty to me.

Also guys, thanks for all of the "what to do," but I also want some "how to do" as well.

How to do it? Testing and testing and testing, hell I used to play MUGEN, I think everyone here knows what i'm talking about, if not google it. Anyways, when someone releases a character, he has like 4 or more beta-testers backing him up, they tell him how the char works, troubles, cheapness, this is OP, this needs a buff etc..
Same for nerfs and buffs

"The one who does not remember history is bound to live through it again".Get mame32 or another rom emulator, you can learn from Capcom ,Snk ,Midway, and yet another companies.

Pulling memes from within his labcoat….
Also He can call out slenderman knowing that they had a good vacation together.
That's the idea of what it looks like.
Still kinda have to think how it's gonna be played.

Last edited Jul 27, 2012 at 04:19PM EDT

Ann Hiro wrote:

So I was designing a fighting game the other day…
Somehow I made Forest Gibson a character.

I'd so play a fighting game where you can make Forest and Jamie fight each other.

@Kasrkai and ANN HIRO: This game will be a traditional six-button fighter.

Like…?
Capcom vs Marvel? The King of Fighters? or just an original idea?

I think most fighting games have a lot of violence in them. To really stand out from the crowd, you ought to make a non-violent fighting game.

Really, I was going to make that comment semi-sarcastically, but the more I thought about it, the more I think it's a good idea for real.

Brucker wrote:

I think most fighting games have a lot of violence in them. To really stand out from the crowd, you ought to make a non-violent fighting game.

Really, I was going to make that comment semi-sarcastically, but the more I thought about it, the more I think it's a good idea for real.

So has anyone other than me have played the MLP fighting game?

Brucker wrote:

You mean like Mortal Kombat, but with no blood and only Friendship finishers allowed?

I'd totally play that.

Brucker wrote:

Yeah. Every time you hit someone, magical sparkle dust falls and a unicorn is born.

@ANN HIRO:
Got a link? I'd like to see such a thing.

@Katamari & Kasrkai:
Well, you could take it in any direction you felt like, but my thoughts were something like: Instead of throwing knives, you throw bouquets of flowers. Instead of punching and kicking, handshakes, kisses, and hugs. And so on. But you could do a lot of different things.

Not one bit. Could you enlighten us about it? We've only been talking about the fighting mechanics when a game no only needs a good combat system, it also needs a good story Lets hear it.

Backstory: A professional dimension hopper named Diamond Channel was fighting his former teammate/arch-nemisis Pirate Captain Verzal. While fighting, both of their ships crashed into the core of the multiverse, accidentally breaking the fabric of space and time and fusing multiple worlds together.

The two aforementioned characters will be the only original characters for the game as the other 38 characters and 8 bosses will be characters from all over the internet. I already finalized a roster, I'm just wondering how the characters will play.

Backstory: A professional dimension hopper named Diamond Channel was fighting his former teammate/arch-nemisis Pirate Captain Verzal. While fighting, both of their ships crashed into the core of the multiverse, accidentally breaking the fabric of space and time and fusing multiple worlds together.

The two aforementioned characters will be the only original characters for the game as the other 38 characters and 8 bosses will be characters from all over the internet. I already finalized a roster, I'm just wondering how the characters will play.

>YOU CAN HAVE ONLINE
>Make a retarded character just for the fun of it, but don't publish it.

Heres some Character Ideas:

Have him as a reg. character. Let him throw star bits, turn into those launchy things and shoot your enemy. Tennis rackets are a good idea for melee.

>Shudbeabaws<

Fire and tennis strokes and kart riding everywhere, but he does hockey with dry bones so super right here.

Shudbeacharakter

A intelligent cube who floats and uses digits for projectiles, and tentacles wires to come out of him for melee.
Don't base him off mirror square, that would be terrible.

Spores wrote:

>YOU CAN HAVE ONLINE
>Make a retarded character just for the fun of it, but don't publish it.

Heres some Character Ideas:

Have him as a reg. character. Let him throw star bits, turn into those launchy things and shoot your enemy. Tennis rackets are a good idea for melee.

>Shudbeabaws<

Fire and tennis strokes and kart riding everywhere, but he does hockey with dry bones so super right here.

Shudbeacharakter

A intelligent cube who floats and uses digits for projectiles, and tentacles wires to come out of him for melee.
Don't base him off mirror square, that would be terrible.

This game is about the internet, those characters are Mario characters. And even if a Mario character was going to be in this game, it’d have to be one that is relevant to the internet. It doesn’t matter anyways because I already finalized the roster.

As for the case with online capabilities, I’m not sure I could do it, but I could try. Mane6 (creators of Fighting is Magic) said they were considering/doing online for their game, so let’s just see how online will work out. I’ll just say there won’t be online right now.

I know it sounds cheesy, but it's the only story I can come up with at the moment. Also, every character will have an opening and an ending cutscene. I'll also try to figure out how to give the bosses cutscenes as well.

Don't worry, Luis. A little cheese can be good for any story. Just remember to not over do it… bad things can happen…

I always wondered why he did that, that one time when he was introduced.

For some reason, I think this is adorable.
what's wrong with me…

Last edited Jul 31, 2012 at 10:30AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!