Forums / Discussion / Serious Debate

14,076 total conversations in 680 threads

+ New Thread

If World War 3 started, how would it affect you?

Last posted Feb 25, 2015 at 08:17AM EST. Added Feb 06, 2015 at 11:35AM EST
34 posts from 30 users

I'm going to try to give a plausible WW3 scenario, let's say the fighting in Ukraine gets even worst and an outside country/countries openly sends troops to support one side against the other but then another country/countries sends its troops to help to other side. This eventually leads to a war with America (and maybe its allies) against Russia (and maybe its allies).

I just want to know how you would reaction to this or any WW3 scenario and how it would affect your life.

Personally, I live in a neutral European country so I feel that might have some safety from the war.

Likely wouldn't affect me very much. I have horrible vision so they would have to put me in a non-combat role anyway. assuming it didn't go nuclear I'd probably be stuck in some office building pushing papers.

Barring Nuclear Holocaust, I would be glued to whatever happened until the necessity for troops results in the Draft being used for recruitment. In the instance that I don't get recruited, nothing much unless the U.S. loses. If recruited, fair chance of death.

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

If a conflict that is truly on the scale of the previous two in terms of pure hostility and global impact develops, I think there's a pretty good chance that this prediction will come true. Why? Well, first of all, here's my prediction for the combatants:

Allies:
The United States of America
The European Union
Canada
Australia
Japan
The Republic of Korea
(Those last two will be a bit of a problem, but they won't have much of a choice.)

Unified Opposition:
Russia, or the Neo-USSR
The People's Republic of China
The Democratic People's Republic of Korea
The Islamic State

Now… North Korea and IS with nukes?

All the blood.

New Zealand would be an extremely low-priority target in any major war scenario. Most US and UK, and quite a few Australian cities are home to more people each than the population of our entire country. Combined with our relatively isolated place in the world, and the fact that Australia, our closest ally, is a massive landmass sitting just beside us, we would essentially fall off the radar (figuratively speaking) in the eyes of any unified global opposition. Our no-nuclear policy also means no nuclear weapons, which would likely decrease our chances of actually taking part in the conflict.

In fact, it could be WW2 all over again: NZ becoming rich and actually raising its standard of living during the war due to sudden demand for dairy products in order to feed the foreign war machine.

i will just like to put, im a firm believer that WW3 is far from happening, so im not too worried of what is about to happen.

Colombia has been a pretty big ally of america (sometimes not willingly) for a long time, so we are not in exactly good terms with other powers like lets say russia (in fact, they have invaded our airspace times before, and allied with other countries we have disputes with).

if would not be a stretch to say america would use its allies for advantages if a war that included them happen, i dont really know in what way, but we already have american bases here, so we ARE a big target for their enemies either way.

the amount of destruction that would cause to us is rather hard to calculate, but there will be problems that is assured.

0.9999...=1 wrote:

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

If a conflict that is truly on the scale of the previous two in terms of pure hostility and global impact develops, I think there's a pretty good chance that this prediction will come true. Why? Well, first of all, here's my prediction for the combatants:

Allies:
The United States of America
The European Union
Canada
Australia
Japan
The Republic of Korea
(Those last two will be a bit of a problem, but they won't have much of a choice.)

Unified Opposition:
Russia, or the Neo-USSR
The People's Republic of China
The Democratic People's Republic of Korea
The Islamic State

Now… North Korea and IS with nukes?

All the blood.

…Is it fine if I use those exact sides for an FPS outline, with some additions (such as a North African country in the UO, like Libya)?

Draft will be instated. Selective service will look at me. Selective service will reject me.

One thing I would like to point out is that Russia is using the exact same excuse for invading Ukraine that Germany used for Austria, Czechoslovakia. etc. They got screwed out of land during The Treaty of Versailles/fall of the USSR and German Russian minorities are being persecuted in these places. Apparently Putin also that threatened the Ukrainian President with invasion of Poland, Romania, and the Baltic states: "If I wanted, in two days I could have Russian troops not only in Kiev, but also in Riga, Vilnius, Tallinn, Warsaw and Bucharest."

Last edited Feb 06, 2015 at 06:44PM EST

Indonesia has been in the leading fronts of the Non-Block organization that has led several nations to not participate in the cold war. Giving the circumstances, unless China decides to conquer all of asia (which i doubt they will ever do in the near future), i think it won't affect my country at all. In fact, they might attempt to restore peace instead.

It won't effect me, because I live in the US, and the US never gets into a world war until it's practically already over.

As for the actual war, it won't be a nuclear war or a conventional war between the two sides' armies. Nuclear war will never happen because no head of state will risk their own ass firing nukes at another nuclear power, and direct conventional war will likely be replaced by proxy wars (like America sending their allies to attack Russia's allies or vice versa) a la the Cold War.

@0.999

The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea
The Islamic State

Kim Jong Un's sanity is questionable enough that I'm doubtful any country would ally with NK as anything but a last resort, nukes or no nukes. He's threaded nuclear attacks for completely arbitrary reasons in the past, and recently underwent an extensive hacking campaign against Sony for a movie that would barely effect him. What's stopping KJU from turning on his own allies in the midst of a world war?

As for the IS, no one's going to ally with them, period. As much as they try to make themselves look intimidating, they just don't have the manpower or resources to pose a significant threat to a large country's army. They've only gotten where they are through guerrilla warfare on their own territory, which would be impossible literally anywhere else since they wouldn't know the lay of the land well enough.

Last edited Feb 06, 2015 at 07:29PM EST

If we're talking full MAD--everyone's screwed.

The triangles represent targets of a 500 missile attack, black dots are for a 2000 missile attack.

If the bombs started dropping, it's likely myself along with most of southern Michigan would book it for our cottages up north.

If we're talking a European/Asian land war, I'm just starting to creep out of draft age, so probably wouldn't have to fight and live in the aforementioned Michigan and so is safe from any Chinese long range bombers that could disrupt the west coast.

0.9999…=1 said:

Unified Opposition:
Russia, or the Neo-USSR
The People’s Republic of China
The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea
The Islamic State

It's unlikely Russia would ally with ISIS due to the high likelihood of them stirring up shit Chechnya--which would probably already be underway by NATO. South America would probably ally with Russia to fight the capitalist pigs, though.

A$AP Twisty said:

if would not be a stretch to say america would use its allies for advantages if a war that included them happen, i dont really know in what way, but we already have american bases here, so we ARE a big target for their enemies either way.

Colombia and Panama would be at the heart of the South American clusterfuck as they'd likely serve as proxy locations for the war and serve to keep Venezuela, etc. in check. Brazil would be the wild card as they're the biggest player down there and I have no clue what their relations are with Russia or the West.

Particle Mare wrote:

New Zealand would be an extremely low-priority target in any major war scenario. Most US and UK, and quite a few Australian cities are home to more people each than the population of our entire country. Combined with our relatively isolated place in the world, and the fact that Australia, our closest ally, is a massive landmass sitting just beside us, we would essentially fall off the radar (figuratively speaking) in the eyes of any unified global opposition. Our no-nuclear policy also means no nuclear weapons, which would likely decrease our chances of actually taking part in the conflict.

In fact, it could be WW2 all over again: NZ becoming rich and actually raising its standard of living during the war due to sudden demand for dairy products in order to feed the foreign war machine.

Pretty much this.

NZ has a tendency to keep a very low profile in any war situation. We're not a provocative or threatening society. We don't have any major war assets. We don't even have a pivotal tactical location

A foreign power would steamroll us if they invaded, by why would they want to?

We sent plenty of troops into WWI and WWII, we kicked some ferocious ass next to the brits, but we received no retribution for it. The Japanese ignored us and attacked the Australians instead

We sent troops into the War on Terror too. But Al-Qaeda still don't give a rats arse about NZ and continued sending their suicide bombers to every other nation except us.

So with that in mind, it's likely WWIII still wont really come to me. NZ will sit on the sidelines as always and watch everything happen, then switch the channel over to the Rugby.

On the other hand, however, I do have half my family in the US. Which is a very high profile target. I can't say I wont be completely unaffected. I will care what happens to my family if WWIII comes to California

And furthermore, if the destruction caused by WWIII is of the vast thermonuclear kind, it doesn't matter what part of the world I will be in. I'll be affected by that and die along with the rest of the human race

I cannot imagine México in middle of a WWIII…

Well, México could support some other countries and such, but participating in the middle of a war? Besides, we have our own problems here.

Probably because México is a little problem and nobody cares about mexicans :(

I imagine something more like Fallout, where the world slowly falls apart until the Great War ends it all.
Assuming things to end up escalating:
Israel is going to get blown up, and they're going to take a large chunk of the Middle East out with them.
North Korea's going to do something so stupid that China won't even defend them and the US will put them down.
Africa will continue to decline until all the Africans would be better off dead.
Most of South America, most of Central America, and Mexico will have their own civil wars in the coming decades.
I don't think it will ever come to a real World War, it would just end up as Russia against literally everyone else (ignoring the newly nuked Middle East), including China.
I actually think China will improve slowly but surely until they are democratic, and I think even now they would realize that joining the Allies against Russia would be the most logical option.
If worst comes to worst, Russia will get obliterated and they'll put a major dent in the world's population, but humanity will survive and we'll likely be better off in the long run.

If we are talking about nuclear warfare, then most likely we would be killed before we could say ''_*fuck*_.

If we're talking conventional warfare, then it wouldn't affect me most likely, Portugal is a meaningless country, our army is laughably small, and we don't have anything or anyone important in the slightest. However , if the whole European Union is involved, then we most likely would need to help.
Another option for what would happen would be what happened in WW2: Portugal selling shit to everyone and getting cash-money.
Regardless, i'd probably join a PMC if i know that chemical weapons wouldn't be a risk.

Since I'm in the US there's a decent chance it could affect me directly. If it happened in like 2 years I might be drafted, except for one thing: trans people can't be in the army. So I'd say I'm pretty safe from the draft, and that's only if it happens in two years for me to even have a chance of being drafted which is already small if I was of age.

Depending on how economically invested the US gets, it could affect me quite a lot indirectly. I might have to be like Little Bobby and collect scraps of metal in a red wagon. Overall I would try to stay in the US and help out with things, particularly the political aspects of the war. If I didn't agree with something the US was doing, even if that thing was joining the war in the first place, I would fight it hard, 60s hippie style, and now with the internet I can make even more of an impact than people could back then with just physical petitioning alone. Even if no one listens to me I'd damn sure try to get as many people on my side as I could.

The only thing that would cause me to spend my life-savings on getting the fuck out of here would be if the front-lines ever came to the US, nuclear war, or if the US went full-out Alien and Sedition and started locking people up for having an opinion. I wouldn't fight just to be jailed. I'd prefer living all my years free and fight the US's dirty policies from the outside the best I could via the interwebz.

First of all, I use NUKEMAP in my explination of why I would be screwed. It's also good to see what would happen if a nuke hit near your area. Anyways, if WWIII does happen and the US gets involved, I could be drafted. I also live near San Francisco. If a nuke was dropped on San Francisco, even a 3.3 MT nuclear bomb could leave me at the very LEAST with 3rd degree burns. If things really went to crap, I might move to a country like Australia or New Zealand. That being said, I don't have a big comprehensive plan for World War 3.

Draft would definitely be instated for the United States. Since I'm 6'0 and (currently) 214 lbs, they would likely draft me.

But hey, if nukular war occurred, I wouldn't have to deal with tax paperwork anymore.

Last edited Feb 07, 2015 at 03:28PM EST

Snickerway wrote:

Kim Jong Un’s sanity is questionable enough that I’m doubtful any country would ally with NK as anything but a last resort, nukes or no nukes. He’s threaded nuclear attacks for completely arbitrary reasons in the past, and recently underwent an extensive hacking campaign against Sony for a movie that would barely effect him. What’s stopping KJU from turning on his own allies in the midst of a world war?

As for the IS, no one’s going to ally with them, period. As much as they try to make themselves look intimidating, they just don’t have the manpower or resources to pose a significant threat to a large country’s army. They’ve only gotten where they are through guerrilla warfare on their own territory, which would be impossible literally anywhere else since they wouldn’t know the lay of the land well enough.

xTSGx wrote:

It’s unlikely Russia would ally with ISIS due to the high likelihood of them stirring up shit Chechnya--which would probably already be underway by NATO. South America would probably ally with Russia to fight the capitalist pigs, though.

Well first of all, I'm not suggesting that this would or could form today. IS in particular requires probably at least a decade of further conquest and true state formation before it could act as a legitimate power. (I certainly hope it doesn't get anywhere near that long.) But I would recommend that no one underestimate the sheer will of radicals. If they become stable enough through internal intimidation and defined leadership, they may be able to convince Russia that they will leave Chechnya alone.

And as for North Korea- if China's in, then they're in with them. The reasons are practical: Without a unified effort, an Allied army entering from south of the Korean DMZ would be able to knife into Manchuria through that region like it was butter, with Beijing sitting uncomfortably close. As a matter of fact, with their economic leverage (China provides about half of all North Korean imports and receives a quarter of its exports), they may force NK to sign an agreement that gives it full proxy power in that situation.

Stevie wrote:

First of all, I use NUKEMAP in my explination of why I would be screwed. It's also good to see what would happen if a nuke hit near your area. Anyways, if WWIII does happen and the US gets involved, I could be drafted. I also live near San Francisco. If a nuke was dropped on San Francisco, even a 3.3 MT nuclear bomb could leave me at the very LEAST with 3rd degree burns. If things really went to crap, I might move to a country like Australia or New Zealand. That being said, I don't have a big comprehensive plan for World War 3.

I'd actually most likely be able to get out in a nuclear strike. I live in northern North Charleston, SC, near the mall, so if Russia's nukes hit downtown Charleston, I might not even have to move (though I probably still would.) As for China's, I'd probably head north to Summerville. North Korea's would only take out half of Charleston itself.

…WWIII won't happen during my lifetime, right?

Last edited Feb 07, 2015 at 08:38PM EST

Being from the Philippines, which I'm sure wouldn't do/couldn't do much about an incoming WW, there's no way anything drastic would happen to us. We're already in a pickle by picking scraps against China over an island and ongoing massacres from the local extreme muslim rebels. On the more discreet side, a huge international war would definitely affect the economy some way somehow; shortages would come and go, prices will inflate, economic growth will be hindered, foreign capital inflows would most likely cease, etc.

Well I live in Illinois, so I'm pretty deep inland if anything happens on the coast. I'd still be in high school, and once I turn 18, I'd continuously pray to God that I would never be drafted into this war.

If this were a nuclear war, I'd move to the middle of no where.

I live less than an hour away from Norfolk, home of the world's largest naval station. I guess if a full on assault occurred on the East Coast Norfolk would probably be one of the primary targets which would put me uncomfortably close to the action.

xTSGx's map doesn't make my chances of survival look very good.

Last edited Feb 21, 2015 at 02:57PM EST

Seeing as I live on the West Coast near Sacramento, I think it would terrifying to be a potential nuke target should it ever happen. Needless to say, this would directly affect me. Since I am college aged I would be fresh for the picking for the U.S. draft.

I imagine more along the lines of a cyber warfare/biological warfare level WW3. I feel like any mass deployment of troops would be after post cyber/splinter cell attacks at key points (think pearl harbor). Also, it would be caused due to actions of some Russian or Chinese Civil War in my mind. Idk though. I really just hope politics can keep anything stable before anything of the sorts would play out.

My reaction to it would probably be to try and get into officer's school tbh. I could probably get out of enlistment or a draft, but I could probably get into officer's school if I ever finished a degree. lol.

Last edited Feb 21, 2015 at 06:39PM EST

Well, since I live in a US territory, a draft will occur, which means a lot of my friends and my boyfriend will have to go to war or face imprisonment.

I would rather see my boyfriend in prison than in a war.

Since most of our stuff is imported, that means less food, medicine, etc.

It would be really bad…

I once tried to enlist in the U.S. Air Force and got permanent DQ'd for having ADHD and taking Ritalin for it as a child. So WWIII, not my problem. I can't move so any mainland nukes would end me.

Since I'm mentally ill and the army, or anyone that knows about my condition, won't allow me near any explosives or anything that can injure myself or others.

In other words, even if I did want to join the army, navy, marines, etc. I'm unable to. So getting drafted is the least of my concerns. Probably force to work even with my ailments. Don't know what a giant war would do to the economy.

I'm in Virginia, so if an invasion ever happens, I'm pretty close to the point where I may be in danger.
I'm far enough from Washington and my capital that even if they nuked those points of interest, I'm far from them that I want die. But, I also live near the airport, which also doubles as a air base, so air combat might be pretty high.

Eh, I don't know. Can't predict everything. Hopefully there won't be a WWIII in my time.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!