Forums / Media / Video Games

38,604 total conversations in 2,698 threads

+ New Thread

Hardest Achievements in Video Games

Last posted May 17, 2015 at 07:52PM EDT. Added Mar 29, 2015 at 09:38AM EDT
39 posts from 36 users

This thread is about the hardest achievements, it can be time consuming, annoying, complicated or otherwise difficult to obtain.

Probably the hardest achievement I've ever seen is "World Champion" from Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter. It requires you to make it to the #1 spot on the world leaderboard. Yeah no thanks.

Another hard achievement is "7 Day Survivor" in Dead Rising. You need to survive 7 in game days which is 14 hours real time. This is definitely easier than that last one but still, who came up with this?

There's an achievement in Mega Man 9 and 10 which is awarded to you if you get through the game without taking any damage. Dying counts as taking damage. Basically Impossible unless you've had like what, years of practice?

I think there is a difference in how "hard achievements" should be seen.

"Reflex Achievements"
They require ridiculous skill and capability, e.g. top ranking a leader board or beating a fighting game on top diff. Basically intense Powergaming with emphasis on perfection. "Mile High Club" on COD4 is an legendary example.

"Persistence Achievements"
They need you to apply lots of time and effort along with patience to see that you get to the goal. A good example is getting that fucking gnome through HL2 with you having to carry it the entire way. Other examples would be where you have to grind for days/months. Getting all medals in [game A] or finding all collectibles in [game B]. "Seriously…" from Gears of War and the Vidmasters on Halo

I'd say my most difficult ones are surviving the campaigns on Expert diff on L4D2, Hardore diff on Dead Space 2, Dante Must Die diff in DMC and finally "The Ultimatum" – COD4

"Great Dane" in mgs2 is very time consuming to get.

In Total War: Shogun 2 the achievement There Can Be Only One is awarded only to whomever can reach the top spot on the multiplayer leaderboard.

In Armored Core For Answer, the achievement "10000 Wins" is a problem. Winning 10000 multilayer matches would be arduous to get anyway, but it's made even worse due to the fact that nobody is playing ACFA multiplayer anymore.

Off the top of my head: "Hands Off the Merchandise" from CoD Blops. It's a zombie-related achievement.

For this achievement, you have to kill a particular enemy in a particular map before it could steal your loadout. Keep in mind that this enemy only appears during certain waves and the fact that I'm absolutely terrible at zombies.

And from GTA TBoGT: the achievement "Gold Star." You have to complete every main story mission with 100%. Keep in mind that certain missions have specific objectives that can be extremely difficult at times.

Low Scorer (Spelunky): Finish the game without collecting ANY gold.
Hurry Up! (Shovel Knight): Finish the entire game in under an hour and 30 minutes.
Impossible Boy (Super Meat Boy): Complete the hardmode version of the final world without dying.

Basing the list off of Laika's category post:

Reflex:

Surviving the first 3 chapters of Magicka's adventure mode without dying one would probably be a good start. From the same game there is also the achievement for clearing the DLC campaigns (especialy the Hard Mode versions)

Likewise Freedom Planet has a couple achievements that qualify, they are the speed-running achievements. As well as an achievement for not dying once

Persistence

Pick a Hyperdimension Neptunia game, chances are the achievement there are either easy to get or this, as an example, I'll cite the Millionaire achievement in Re;Birth1, it requires you to get a total of 100,000,000 credits. By extension, the Platinum trophies also counts

Freedom Planet also has an achievement for getting a high amount of shards by the end of the campaign

Space Cowboy wrote:

Off the top of my head: "Hands Off the Merchandise" from CoD Blops. It's a zombie-related achievement.

For this achievement, you have to kill a particular enemy in a particular map before it could steal your loadout. Keep in mind that this enemy only appears during certain waves and the fact that I'm absolutely terrible at zombies.

And from GTA TBoGT: the achievement "Gold Star." You have to complete every main story mission with 100%. Keep in mind that certain missions have specific objectives that can be extremely difficult at times.

The first one you mentioned is actually easy if you have a Ray Gun or the Pack-a-Punched M1911 (the HK21 and the RPK are also useful if you're at a distance and it's a low round when the Pentagon Thief comes).

Here's one but for a racing game:

Red Bull X1 Challenge (Gran Turismo 5)

It requires you to complete the Sebastian Vettel X Challenge it and holy shit if it's hard. The car you are driving is a fictional Red Bull X2010 and it is so twitchy and goes so damn fast (280 mph) that you can screw up easily and run off course and get disqualified.

The thing that is a slap in the face is that the trophy you get is a bronze. A BRONZE TROPHY AND NOT A GOLD TROPHY LIKE IT SHOULD'VE BEEN!

Last edited Mar 30, 2015 at 12:14AM EDT

After Shock wrote:

Basing the list off of Laika's category post:

Reflex:

Surviving the first 3 chapters of Magicka's adventure mode without dying one would probably be a good start. From the same game there is also the achievement for clearing the DLC campaigns (especialy the Hard Mode versions)

Likewise Freedom Planet has a couple achievements that qualify, they are the speed-running achievements. As well as an achievement for not dying once

Persistence

Pick a Hyperdimension Neptunia game, chances are the achievement there are either easy to get or this, as an example, I'll cite the Millionaire achievement in Re;Birth1, it requires you to get a total of 100,000,000 credits. By extension, the Platinum trophies also counts

Freedom Planet also has an achievement for getting a high amount of shards by the end of the campaign

>Magicka's Adventure mode

I'd like to make a correction, The related achievements were for the Stars Are Left DLC in the same game, not the original campaign. It is still appropriate as the DLC is still very difficult (especialy chapter 3)

- "The Shadows Rushed Me" Max Payne 3

In short, Complete the game on New York Minute Hardcore difficulty. What does this mean? Oh, I dunno, run through the whole damn campaign on the hardest difficulty with a 1 minute timer on you that only gets replenished with kills. The best part? If you die or run out of time, you restart from the First Chapter. No Checkpoints, No Saving, No Salvation.

- "C'est Magnifique!" Persona 4 Arena

Complete Score Attack mode with all 13 characters. Of the Nearly 6,200 tracked players of the game on the TrueAchievements database, only 20 have earned this.

- "Complete Warrior" Battlefield 3

Get a kill with an Assault Rifle, Tank, and Jet. In one life. First two, not so bad; But if you don't know how to dogfight or properly ATG (Air to Ground Combat) with a jet, it's going to be a long day.

Time consuming ones like No More Fish in the Sea from Okami HD (only thing stopping me from Platinuming one of my favorite Clover games)

Or Sooo Rich! and Truly awesome from Rayman Legends both Trophies/Achis that will take you literally around 6 months just to get

The "Front Page News" is the hardest achievement to earn in Spore. To achieve it, you must have at least one of your creations featured on the Spore Website. But since August 2011 (almost 3 years after the release of the game), this achievement has been impossible to earn, as the featured creations were no longer being updated, making it absolutely pointless. That's a good reason why you should never make achievements based on Internet servers and on-line services.

Terring wrote:

The "Front Page News" is the hardest achievement to earn in Spore. To achieve it, you must have at least one of your creations featured on the Spore Website. But since August 2011 (almost 3 years after the release of the game), this achievement has been impossible to earn, as the featured creations were no longer being updated, making it absolutely pointless. That's a good reason why you should never make achievements based on Internet servers and on-line services.

I agree, online-based trophies and achievements are stupid.

Speaking of stupid, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010) has one that requires having five in-game friends.

Last edited Mar 31, 2015 at 10:12AM EDT

Back to hell from "ride to hell retrobution"

its getting ALL the achievements… good luck keeping your sanity!

jokes aside it isnt an offical achivement but more of a challange

3 heart master quest broken sword challange on zelda OOT

and 3 heart challange on hero mode on wind waker

I think we can all agree that the hardest achievements to get are the ones for online gameplay for games that don't have any servers.
Looking specifically at this game:

I really want a reboot or updated version for this, it kicked ass!

The one free bullet, HL2:EP1
Use one bullet troughout the entire game. Not hard, but not having guns is arduous as hell.

GTA: O: Criminal mastermind

Win all the hiests in order, on hard, without anybody dying.

Lycanroc wrote:

I agree, online-based trophies and achievements are stupid.

Speaking of stupid, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010) has one that requires having five in-game friends.

Although I also recommend games I like to my friends, I find it insulting when large companies like EA treat me like a soulless billboard by adding achievements like this one.

Unraveler wrote:

How did you do tis?

Apparently the "Unachievable" achievement is just awarded at random with and absurdly low rate.

As for commitment, all you have to do is start up the game at 11:59PM on Monday and let it run in the background until 12:01AM on Wednesday.

I also love that you can determine exactly how many players cheat to get achievements by looking at the "Go Outside" achievement. The game came out 2 years ago and the achievement requires that you don't play the game for five years, and yet 7% of players have it. Not really sure who they're trying to fool with that one.

Probably the hardest achievements in The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth are The Lost's unlock achievements. First off, getting The Lost is an achievement in of itself; dying to certain enemies as certain characters on specific floors. Secondly, The Lost has no health at all, meaning if you just so much as lightly brush up against something like a spider, you're dead. And what all do you have to do get all of The Lost's unlocks? Oh I don't know, how about having to beat the Boss Rush and kill Mom's Heart/ It Lives on Hard mode, Satan, Isaac, The Lamb, and ???(Blue Baby). And if you want to get Godhead, you have to kill all those bosses on Hard.

Well currently I'm trying to 100% Hyrule Warriors and have been doing so for a few months and still going strong. It isn't an achievement persay but it involves getting all the achievements in the game (the hardest of which involve getting an A on all stages, god help me)

It's probably one of the grindiest and hugest games I've ever played but I'm legitimately trying to finish it all the way and when I say all the way I mean all the way. I'll get back to you guys when I finish it in a few years.

Any of the achievements in Kid Icarus: Uprising which involve using a club on levels with an 8.0 or above difficulty. The difficulty on them might be from how bad I am with clubs to begin with, though.

Not so much an achievement I'm planning to ever top, but it is the hardest achievement in any game I own: Star Ocean IV: The Last Hope – Obtain 100% of all battle trophies.

Let's just say that these trophies are really insane sometimes. For starters you have trophies in there that require you to get exact amounts of damage (like hit 7,777 or heal 77,777). These are very much luck based so don't even bet on them, but there are online tips where your odds are bigger to score them. Others require insane skill, like beating the post-game mega boss in less than 10 minutes. But the grinding trophies, oh boy, those are hell. Each character has these, and while some seem easier (jump 5,555 times), others are just a straight pain in the butt (defeat 30,000 enemies), alongside each character having to complete 100 battles in the colosseum (with some consecutive as well).

There are 900 total battle trophies, 100 for each playable character. For all the "per battle" trophies, such as consecutive hits or exact damage, you will personally have to do the action. For some of the larger accumulated ones, such as fighting a certain number of battles, those can be worked on by the AI.

Most achievement sites where you check on this game will only have a handful of people with 100% at most.

If you feel like throwing away your life on getting a 100%, this is your game.

Last edited May 04, 2015 at 08:37PM EDT

I have a very masochistic love for Spelunky. Even though it hurts me so much, I keep coming back to it, determined to conquer that bastard once and for all.

It turns out that I have most of the achievements. (Barely. 55% is most.) I am capable of getting most of them as well, so long as I put the effort into it. (Casanova requires rescuing 10 damsels in one game, but I really want that Kapala!) In addition to the Low Scorer achievement mentioned above, which is completing the game with no treasure collected, we also have other difficult achievements, such as The Entire Gang, which requires unlocking all the characters. That seems doable, right? Too bad there's a character that requires completing the game the hard way (achievement for that.) Which involves a full game-long quest and an insane amount of skill and/or luck.

Speedlunky also requires you to complete the entire game, from 1-1 to 4-4, in 8 minutes. That's an average of 30 seconds per level, and keep in mind the boss on the last one. Not easy, especially if you're shit at speedrunning like I am.

One of my favourite games is Dishonored (it's basically steampunk/Victorian BioShock with stealth and magic in case you didn't know) and one of the more difficult achievements in the game is 'Ghost', where you must play through the entire game without being seen by enemies or killing anyone besides your assassination targets.

Also, BioShock Infinite's 'Scavenger Hunt' achievement, in which you must finish the game on the highest difficulty (1999 Mode) without purchasing supplies or ammo from vending machines.

The DIY PMC Achievement from Army of Two: the 40th Day required you to go to the game's website and create a custom made mask for your character in the game. This sounds like a very easy thing to do, until you realize that the game's website is now a redirect to ea.com's page for the next game in the series, The Devil's Cartel. It doesn't help that The Devil's Cartel essentially killed the franchise too. You might be able to do it if you use Wayback Machine, but I doubt it. The only reason that I'm talking about this is because I got lucky and made a few masks and got the achievement right before The Devil's Cartel was announced.

Last edited May 05, 2015 at 08:00AM EDT

In Dark Souls 2.

Getting these two bastards;
http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Illusory+Ring+of+the+Exalted

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Illusory+Ring+of+a+Conqueror

The Ring of the Exalted requires you complete the game without resting at a bonfire. I've managed to get this once – haven't bothered in my Scholar of the First Sin playthrough.

The Ring of the Conqueror requires you clear the game without dying. I've never attempted it but if I used the shortcut of just getting the SM required to get to Drangleic Castle, I'd probably die in the Shrine of Amana.

Last edited May 07, 2015 at 05:09AM EDT

I'm not sure "getting all achivements" achievement in Gran Turismo 5 count. If it does, fuck that.

list goes on, Wipeout HD's Beat Zico (Liu)'s time attack battles sound like taking candy from children now.

This isn't exactly an achievement, but there are several posts here that don't have actual achievements either… So yeah. Anyway, Mario Kart 7/8's Gold Kart pieces. More specifically 8, but 7 is almost as bad. In 7, you can get the Gold Glider by getting to 100 StreetPasses, or by collecting a grand total of 10,000 coins. You can get the Gold Tires by getting a ranking of at least 1 star on all eight cups in all four engine classes, or by collecting a grand total of 15,000 coins. Finally, you can get the Gold Standard Kart by getting your VR (Vs. Rating) to 10,001 or higher online, or by collecting a grand total of 20,000 coins. For 7, they at least give you the cowards way out where you spend forever getting coins, as opposed to killing yourself trying to get over 10,000 VR, because if you finish in the last half of racers that are participating in your specific party online, your VR goes down, not to mention when you get the game, you only start with 1,000 VR. Mario Kart 8 on the other hand has one way and only one way to get each of the Gold Kart pieces. You get the Gold Tires by getting a ranking of at least 1 star on all eight vanilla cups in all four of the original engine classes (I'm not entirely sure about this though ever since 200cc was released as an update.). You get the Gold Glider by collecting a grand total of 10,000 coins. Finally, you get the Gold Standard Kart by beating all 32 vanilla expert staff ghosts. I'm sorry, you want me to perform frame-perfect runs on every track in the game, get a ranking of at least one star on every cup in all engine classes, and spend hours on end getting coin after coin after god-damn coin, all in order to unlock something that doesn't even have any unique stats whatsoever? At least in Mario Kart 7, the Gold Kart has completely unique stats, and has much easier alternate ways of getting all the pieces. (In Mario Kart 8, the Gold Standard Kart's stats are 100% identical to those of the Circuit Special, the Gold Tires' stats are 100% identical to those of the Metal Tires, and the Gold Glider's stats are 100% identical to those of the Standard Glider)

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!