Forums / Discussion / General

234,558 total conversations in 7,810 threads

+ New Thread

New Sonic Game?

Last posted Jun 09, 2013 at 11:56PM EDT. Added May 16, 2013 at 09:09AM EDT
33 posts from 22 users

Apparently SEGA has trademarked the name "Sonic Lost World" and apparently someone said they saw Sonic Team's demonstration of this game though they said it was call "Sonic Excursion" this could of course just be a working title.

The article

So what do you fine people think? I for one don't care just as long it isn't like THAT game.
You know the one.

Remember – no Sonic '06.

I'm glad to hear they'll be bringing back someone other than that blasted blue hedgehog some older playable characters into a main Sonic game (if indeed that is what it is). It makes me wonder if the game will be multiplayer, and if there are going to be an even larger library of characters similar to both Sonic Adventure games.

I'm also curious about the storyline. I don't have enough information on the game to know what the basic premise will be, but I'm curious at least if Dr. Eggman will be featured as the final boss (most likely not).

And I've noticed that Sonic Team seems to be putting a lot of emphasis on graphics, particularly lighting for this game. What about gameplay? I'd like to think Sonic Team would have learned its lesson after Sonic 2006, and it seems they have improved (Sonic Generations was pretty great), but I'd like to see another game like Sonic Adventure. Even though that game lacked pretty graphics and stunning lighting, the gameplay was awesome, and I think the storylines it added for each individual character added to the experience. I'm hoping that each character will have different moves and ways of playing, even different ways of completing levels for each character. I trust SEGA in this department, because even in Sonic 2006, Shadow and Silver had ways of playing which differed from Sonic's.

Also, Shattered heights sounds pretty promising. I'll be keeping track of this game to see how the development is progressing.

@Rimshot: Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario 3D Land were both recent 3D platformers, and though I've yet to play 3D Land, I have played Galaxy 2, and I think Nintendo did an amazing job on it.

Sonic Team doesn't have to make the game a side-scroller to make the game good. They've already made Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episodes I and II, which were pretty well-made, but they've also made some really great 3D Sonic games in the past.

I think Sonic Team can actually make a good Sonic game if they'd put some blasted effort into it, and I think they've improved since then, but that doesn't mean they've made anything as great as the Dreamcast games, and I'm hoping Sonic Team will focus on gameplay as much as they're focusing on graphics. If they do this, they can make the game really awesome, despite it not being a side-scrolling game like the originals.

Last edited May 16, 2013 at 10:08AM EDT

I just want an enjoyable Sonic game. It can be like the classic Sonic, Sonic Adventure, or Sonic Colors. I don't mind cameos or getting to play as the other characters, just as long as it sticks to either speed or platforming.

If it has the chao garden, then cool. None, oh well. Really don't want mini games or side games like they did in generations.

We can never go back to the glory days, but we can still have a Sonic game that's fun. Maybe not popular or mind blowing. Just, fun.

I'm nostalgia-blind about Sonic, but here goes:

- I want to see Sonic like he was in the OVAs – sort of cool, sort of snarky, but NOT overly cool like he tries to be now. Get the voice actor from the OVAs somehow, even if that is pretty unlikely, and you'll make my life.

- I'd like to see more focus on the humorous aspect of Sonic. Trying to make him serious doesn't work in my book – that's how we got to overly cool Sonic and a whole host of other problems in the first place. How do you make something about a fast, blue "hedgehog" who collects rings and stops an egg-shaped scientist from controlling the world serious, anyway?

- Gameplay in a lot of Sonic games, INCLUDING the classics, is just meant to be speed and cool visuals. I want to see more focus on puzzles or cool gameplay elements rather than just a straight run forward.

Those are my thoughts. But will Sega ever cater to any fanbase outside of the 18-year mark? Nope.

Rimshot wrote:

Make one like the originals. A side scroller. Sonic is gong down the toilet. Mario isnt. What did mario do? Make more like the originals.

I'm pretty sure they did that with Sonic 4, which was pretty polarizing to most people who played it. Then Sega made Sonic Unleashed, the daytime half of which many people found to be a step in the right direction, then they made Sonic Colors, which met to very warm reception, and then they did Sonic Generations, which was met with even more positive reception.

All of the games that I listed are side-scrollers or are clearly influenced by them. Try looking up gameplay footage before you post about how a game sucks.

Laud "The Bear Jew" Piestrings wrote:

I somehow knew Robotnik would post on here…
As for what the game should be like…
Anything like the first or DX (Gamecube version of Adventure). Why DX? One word: Chaos!

Umm…Chaos was in the original Sonic Adventure too.

Anyway, there's one reason why I wouldn't want it to be like SA: Two words: Big and Amy

SA suffered from a massive flaw in that your high speed game pretty much ended after 10 levels…out of 30.

I just want a high speed platforming adventure in 3D, without messy mechanics, and with intuitive mechanics. In fact, don't even bother putting in player characters unless they're fast. Just stick to Sonic/Shadow/Blaze (Just as long as you don't give Shadow a fucking gun) and please no stupid gimmicks.

Well, a few months ago SA2 got rereleased on XBLA and PSN.
The series is seeming to come back to its positive reviews with Colors and Generations.
E3 is coming up.

SEGA WHATEVER YOU DO, GIVE CHAO A COMEBACK. PLEASE. WITHOUT CHAO I PROBABLY WOULD NEVER HAVE FOUND OUT ABOUT THE INTERNET. PLEASE SEGA. I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR CHAO TO COME BACK FOR YEARS. YEARS.

Last edited May 17, 2013 at 12:14AM EDT

Carno's end. wrote:

So you're saying the 3d Marios weren't good?
Look at sunshine, 64 and the galaxies.

No, just that mario still makes 2d games. And their still popular

Remove all of his friends as stupid playable characters. Nobody wants to play as a Fox, Echidna, Bat, or Dinkleberry. No unnecessary Sonic forms like a "Werehog", some stupid knight, or whatever. No stupid accessories like a dumb bracelet or a super condom.

People like Unleashed due to the day time levels. People like Generations because it was only Sonic going fast, as it should be, no dumb armor, dumb power, or looking for other stuff than the Chaos Emeralds or Dr. Eggman (fuck your Master Emerald Knuckles).

They don't need to "go back to the old days", they just need to make the games follow the title: Sonic the Hedgehog, not Sonic & Friends or Sonic & Sonic-transforms. People like to play as Sonic, both 2d and 3d, plain and simple, no extras needed. Characters who play likewise to Sonic, such as Shadow (in some games) for story-related stuff, is acceptable to an extend, but that's where it stops.

Oh and Chao, for some reason raising Chaos was also liked in the Sonic Adventure 2: Battle.

Last edited May 17, 2013 at 08:22AM EDT

They've sure been taking a lot of time making an announcement. Usually, most fall titles would have been announced by March.

Anyways, I'd like to see the use of multiple characters LIKE in Sonic 3 & Knuckles and NOT Sonic Adventure…where each character has different abilities to allow them to access different paths. This also creates replay-ability too.

I guess you guys are all right, in the sense that the originals were the best ones.
I've only had a little experience with the sonic titles.
I played Sonic 2, an RPG (called Sonic Adventures: the dark brotherhood) and that's about it. But hey, I can't see the link because of the school's firewall, but I look forward to it.

Sonic Von Hedgehog wrote:

Apparently SEGA has trademarked the name "Sonic Lost World" and apparently someone said they saw Sonic Team's demonstration of this game though they said it was call "Sonic Excursion" this could of course just be a working title.

The article

So what do you fine people think? I for one don't care just as long it isn't like THAT game.
You know the one.

Remember – no Sonic '06.

OMFG HE CALLED IT. HE TOTALLY CALLED IT.

Carno's end. wrote:

I guess you guys are all right, in the sense that the originals were the best ones.
I've only had a little experience with the sonic titles.
I played Sonic 2, an RPG (called Sonic Adventures: the dark brotherhood) and that's about it. But hey, I can't see the link because of the school's firewall, but I look forward to it.

The Dark Brotherhood could have been a LOT better.
I didn't focus too much on the graphics. The 2-D artwork was neat, but the 3D models were just not right. I know it was for the DS, but they could have done better.
The battle system was awesome, tho. Only thing I didn't really like was the fact that members came back to life after the battle ended. And you could restart the fight for NO rings if you lost. If you don't have rings, you can still retry. That's a bit too easy.
And speaking of rings: You could only collect rings scrambled around the world, catching enemies (only a couple of rings) or selling items. And after you beat the game once, the rings don't reappear.
The final fight was easy as hell.
And the ending was plain LAME.
The cutscenes were cool, but could have been better.

I hope they work on a remake.

Digoxin wrote:

I didn't focus too much on the graphics. The 2-D artwork was neat, but the 3D models were just not right. I know it was for the DS, but they could have done better.
The battle system was awesome, tho. Only thing I didn't really like was the fact that members came back to life after the battle ended. And you could restart the fight for NO rings if you lost. If you don't have rings, you can still retry. That's a bit too easy.
And speaking of rings: You could only collect rings scrambled around the world, catching enemies (only a couple of rings) or selling items. And after you beat the game once, the rings don't reappear.

Yeah I agree. Was the ending really bad? I never got to it. I only got to the level before and rage quitted from boredom.

Being exclusively for Nintendo will make up for the fact that Generations wasn't given a Wii release.

Also, I told you that the Wii U will get good games later on!

There's always this list.

• Grass World
  • Desert World
  • Water World
  • Gimmick World
  • Possible Deep Forest World
  • Ice/Snow World
  • Heaven/Sky World
  • Lava World/Final World

Or Acts/Zones I could say.
I hope Sanic would mix it up a bit by combining them. That would be great, and very creative.

Also, that art looks great. But It look awfully familiar to the list. I hope it isn't going to go to the list. Please.
There looks to be two different deserts, and I hope that they are different. I also don't want most of those technicolour friends of his to show up. The map looks stunning I must say.

Last edited May 18, 2013 at 12:39AM EDT

Digoxin wrote:

Rmake? Fuck that game. It was way too short, was kind of clunky, and had horrible remixes of Sonic CD and Sonic 3D Blast music that sounded far worse than the originals.

Adam DeLand wrote:

Being exclusively for Nintendo will make up for the fact that Generations wasn't given a Wii release.

Also, I told you that the Wii U will get good games later on!

Iwata:(and I paraphrase)
"I know you are all excited for E3 in June. There will be a a special Nintendo direct then announcing several games only for the Wii U"
I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say that it's Smash Bros. U

RandomMan wrote:

Remove all of his friends as stupid playable characters. Nobody wants to play as a Fox, Echidna, Bat, or Dinkleberry. No unnecessary Sonic forms like a "Werehog", some stupid knight, or whatever. No stupid accessories like a dumb bracelet or a super condom.

People like Unleashed due to the day time levels. People like Generations because it was only Sonic going fast, as it should be, no dumb armor, dumb power, or looking for other stuff than the Chaos Emeralds or Dr. Eggman (fuck your Master Emerald Knuckles).

They don't need to "go back to the old days", they just need to make the games follow the title: Sonic the Hedgehog, not Sonic & Friends or Sonic & Sonic-transforms. People like to play as Sonic, both 2d and 3d, plain and simple, no extras needed. Characters who play likewise to Sonic, such as Shadow (in some games) for story-related stuff, is acceptable to an extend, but that's where it stops.

Oh and Chao, for some reason raising Chaos was also liked in the Sonic Adventure 2: Battle.

This, sonic is about going fast, that's it. Also, I want them to bring back the chao garden shit. That was really fun.

Daft Punkjet wrote:

Well, remember the Sonic Cycle when new characters are introduced? Well…

They don't look like the usual Sonic characters though.

The one on the extreme left looks like she's female.

Well, here's the trailer:

Apparently from what I've heard, it looks like Sonic is the only character…and it's basially Super Mario Galaxy meets Sonic. A mix of 2-D/3-D as well. The 6 characters are boss characters.

More information: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/28/sonic-lost-world-taking-a-page-from-mario-galaxy

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!