Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Old and/or International Memes

Last posted Apr 22, 2015 at 08:49PM EDT. Added Apr 14, 2015 at 12:35AM EDT
15 posts from 9 users

With the recent creation of my Anton Maiden page, it has come to my attention that while KYM is good at documenting memes as they happen, they are not so good at covering older memes, and when they do cover memes, they tend to be from either English-speaking countries or Japan. And sometimes Finland. If KYM is to be a true Internet Meme Database, then it has to cover things from every time and every place. Therefore, this thread's purpose is to ask the question to you all: what are some old or international memes that do not have coverage on KYM already?

Here in the Philippines, there are some memes that are exclusive to the country like Princess Sarah but personally aside from this one, I have a hard time considering them as real 'memes' because they don't have much spread -- at least, compared to other entries that are on this site. Not to mention most 'memes' from around here are often just image macros of famous celebrities and people who regularly appear on TV, which don't feel like real memes to me like say, Princess Sarah as I have mentioned. (actually while typing this out I found some rather potential native entries. They're in Filipino though so I might as well be the one to put them in.)

And chances are if it's a really big meme that shakes the nation, it's probably from outside the country. I recall seeing the Ice Bucket Challenge and the Thor-pun meme on one of our local news channel once.

I know 4 prominent memes on indonesia that might be entry eligable.
The first 2 are viral video Sinta dan Jojo and Norman Kamaru Caiya caiya

The third one is called "disitu kadang saya merasa sedih" which is an image macro regarding daily frustrations.

The last one is regarding politician Haji Lulung who recently became a subject of mockery for making a racist remark at the governer of Jakarta. Users would mock him in similar fashion to the thug life meme.
Then there are the existing entries. While i finished rewritting the Mad Dog entry, i do believe the Pertamax Entry also require a rewrite to link the source/origin of the fad.

Last edited Apr 14, 2015 at 08:01AM EDT

Samekichi Kiseki wrote:

I know 4 prominent memes on indonesia that might be entry eligable.
The first 2 are viral video Sinta dan Jojo and Norman Kamaru Caiya caiya

The third one is called "disitu kadang saya merasa sedih" which is an image macro regarding daily frustrations.

The last one is regarding politician Haji Lulung who recently became a subject of mockery for making a racist remark at the governer of Jakarta. Users would mock him in similar fashion to the thug life meme.
Then there are the existing entries. While i finished rewritting the Mad Dog entry, i do believe the Pertamax Entry also require a rewrite to link the source/origin of the fad.

If you want I can give you editorshio on Pertamax, since it does need work. The other ones I can't readily say "go right ahead" on since I'm not familiar with them, but if you think they're notable you are free to make those entries as well. I won't deadpool them in any case.

Tomberry wrote:

Uh.
That's why I do my darndest to cover old memes and such, as well as French ones too.

Got anything from either of those categories that you think we need and hasn't been done yet?

Well, as for French ones, I have prepared a list of at least 7 possible trends/subcultures that may need an article here. I'm just trying to find time and motivation to make them. There is probably way more to it if we get more thorough research done and I think it's the case for every foreign meme out there.
As for ancient/old memes, It's as tricky and difficult. Sometimes, you remember about some because you stumbled upon them by accident (that's what happened as far as I'm concerned for Tokyo Drift in a Barbie Car). I don't know.
What I think would be great when you don't have any old trend to momentarily search about is to dig through old meme entries on here to format and complete them, as you already did. That's for sure.

I've been meaning to try rewriting this entry it's very old but it deserves better, even today some jokes about it are made, although I won't try until I'm completely sure I won't do a sh*tty job (Don't want more people spamming +1 weeeerkkkkkk instead of helpingā€¦)
While I'm not an avid visitor of the hispanic versions of "Chan" forums, for international memes I'd say "oie k riko" which is an image macro (usually despicting Joey Wheeler with the creepy chin) it has decent(?) spread, but so many variations (oie khe zukhulento, olle k riko) makes it hard to find "pure" images, also, most of them have little to no quality or watermarks all over, some examples:

Anyway, I'm aware my english is far from perfect, probably someone else could do a better job than me, if I find time and motivation I might give it a try

On the topic of old memes, does anyone remember the webpage (from the late 90s iirc) for Hitoshi Doi?
The 'I liek milk' and all the engrish. That deserves an entry, but I dont wanna do it. Is there a forum for suggesting memes other people could cover?

Hi guys, im quite new here, mostly just a lurker. But with the recent memes being of Indonesian origin I do know one other meme that may deserve its place here.

Lets just call it 'Tong Fang"(pardon my english V)
It is an image macro based on Tong Fang Clinic's advertisement used to express sarcastic grateness. Usually the man in the image macro will have a medical issue, and will then say that the issue has worsen instead of being well. For example:

Rough translation: (pardon my english)
"I used to have a venereal diseaseā€¦
ā€¦But after I went to Tong Fang Clinic I dont have a sex. Thanks Tong Fang."

Rough translation:
"My friend used to have trouble sleepingā€¦
ā€¦But after he went to Tong Fang Clinic he could sleep and never wake up again.Thanks Tong Fang Clinic."

I dont about you guys. In my language it is pretty funny, but not sure how it would translate.

Anyways, this is just a suggestion. I am not a good writer and Im not sure if I could write an entry about this. Thanks!

Back in 04-06, here in Mexico, there was a very popular image macro, featuring a beer branch named Tecate, with his catchphrase "Tecate por ti". Translation: "Tecate, for you"

The main inspiration for these pictures, were the commercials of said beer branch:

Speaking of this is really old shit, I mean, I'm talking about the time were the Emo fashion trend and a site named METROFLOG were on it's heyday (where I'm from of course), this is truly a fossil meme. But I don't if qualifies for an entry in KYM.

kage85 wrote:

On the topic of old memes, does anyone remember the webpage (from the late 90s iirc) for Hitoshi Doi?
The 'I liek milk' and all the engrish. That deserves an entry, but I dont wanna do it. Is there a forum for suggesting memes other people could cover?

Well, I guess since you mentioned it someone could start a page.

With my new article on Majiresu, is there any chance someone here both knows what it is and can understand Japanese? I'm having trouble with research since I can't read half the stuff Google spits out at me when I translate it.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!