Forums / Maintenance / Report Problems

27,741 total conversations in 1,733 threads

+ New Thread

Likebotting/Sockpuppets

Last posted Nov 28, 2021 at 12:18PM EST. Added Mar 22, 2021 at 10:38PM EDT
174 posts from 37 users

Please keep this thread specifically to conerns about sockpuppets, I've kept gargus's concerns and Griff's response but removed the other posts as they went too far off topic, if you want to continue that debate please use a separate thread

Last edited Apr 14, 2021 at 10:35AM EDT

VeteranAdventureHobo wrote:

Can we get some information on what was happening? I looked and it looks like comments on images got cleaned up too, I want to know the gist of what was found

We banned a user for vote manipulation on the image galleries.

Looking through the IP the user was using, we saw that the account was sharing that IP with over 40 other accounts. And in those accounts, they had Karma Given in the negatives, and no other activity. Half were banned along with that account, and the rest were banned the following day.

So if you notice any images or comments vote count suddenly going down, or going up when it was previously buried in downvotes, it was very likely from those banned 40+ accounts.

Kotor wrote:

We banned a user for vote manipulation on the image galleries.

Looking through the IP the user was using, we saw that the account was sharing that IP with over 40 other accounts. And in those accounts, they had Karma Given in the negatives, and no other activity. Half were banned along with that account, and the rest were banned the following day.

So if you notice any images or comments vote count suddenly going down, or going up when it was previously buried in downvotes, it was very likely from those banned 40+ accounts.

Jesus christ!

That's ridiculous!

How does anyone have that petty of a view of the world and so much time to waste going through downvoting?

I have to ask, was gnoj the culprit? because it looks like he was just perma banned and my thread reporting him looks a lot less downvoted now

Surprisingly no, this was another user. Gnoj Mik's ban is unrelated.

There's something here about user privacy, but users that get banned this fast probably don't have much in the way of meme rights.

I have to ask, was gnoj the culprit? because it looks like he was just perma banned and my thread reporting him looks a lot less downvoted now

I wish I took a screenshot, there's a noticeable change in upvoted and downvotes in a bunch of topics.

Anyway, internet mystery solved.

Bilbo Swaggins wrote:

no new dev hired, and Don's on vacation this week

I will let you guys know when good news arrives

Thank you for the response
you’ve been very helpful

Last edited Apr 25, 2021 at 09:14PM EDT
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

I just want to report that in the comment section of "east coast gas shortage"

My comment on the fact that "armchair psychologist" have deleted his previous message, because people tell him he was wrong, get a suspicious amount of downvote, since any time I get a up vote, I get a downvote not a long time after.

And any comment who criticise "Arm" behavior get suspciously an equal amount of upvote/downvote.

https://knowyourmeme.com/comments/5767055#comment_5767055

You would noted it's always the same two peoples who are present when this kind of thing happen.

Individual wrote:

I just want to report that in the comment section of "east coast gas shortage"

My comment on the fact that "armchair psychologist" have deleted his previous message, because people tell him he was wrong, get a suspicious amount of downvote, since any time I get a up vote, I get a downvote not a long time after.

And any comment who criticise "Arm" behavior get suspciously an equal amount of upvote/downvote.

https://knowyourmeme.com/comments/5767055#comment_5767055

You would noted it's always the same two peoples who are present when this kind of thing happen.

I dont think they are bots and I cant fully agree with your way of doing things cause you were way too aggressive there but counting how ridiculously quickly you get downvoted it seems like lot of people are probably getting way too obsessed with you and following your every post.

Like yeah jeez people calm down with the downvote circlejerks this isnt reddit…

I'm no more agressive then anyone else.

Also yes this sockpuppet accont because, strangly when Griff was temporary ban (for third of fourth time, it's strange that it's not yet ban at this point.)

The ratio of upvote/donwvote on "political" subject was fairly normal, but know that it's back all the right-wing opinion get always positive, when the opposite either get downvoted to hell or just at zero, despite alot of upvote.

Yeah, I may have ruffle the jimmies of lunatic right-winger, but I'm not the only target.

I think this image

https://knowyourmeme.com/photos/2112015-science

Just got likebotted up. I swear it was at -2 like 10 minutes ago

At least its back to the red color now

I think this image

https://knowyourmeme.com/photos/2112015-science

Just got likebotted up. I swear it was at -2 like 10 minutes ago

jej
Curiosity's sake though, what was it?

Bilbo Swaggins wrote:

will get someone to look into all these

Thanks. My reason for asking is because the image is getting downvoted down to show only +2 upvotes every time it goes over it. Its suspicious because it always lands on +2, it doesn't go under

I will like to point out this :

https://knowyourmeme.com/comments/5790580

Notice how Steve receive an awfull lot of downvote, compare to the amount of upvote most people have receive.

Individual wrote:

I will like to point out this :

https://knowyourmeme.com/comments/5790580

Notice how Steve receive an awfull lot of downvote, compare to the amount of upvote most people have receive.

yeah a bit fishy I mean -17 in 5 freaking hours? that is a ridiculously high number to me…

That may be because a lot of people saw Steve's comment in a short timeframe and disagreed with it. Unlike a lot of likebotted stuff here, his comments relate to something very much in the spotlight, and so anyone making takes like that is going to get a lot of traffic – and downvotes.

I'm not saying he deserves to be buried because I disagree with him. I'm saying that given what the consensus on the issue is and the amount of traffic that issue is getting, it's really not that far fetched to say that people just disagreed with him.

Our resident likebotters probably wouldn't be interested in this anyway, as they're too busy either pushing /pol/'s latest ephemeral racebait meme of the day or ages old content that they're reposting.

I don't really if this the best place to talk about it, but.

Do we really need an article on this : https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/amwf-vs-wmaf-hapas-infographics

It's seems that J. The Perverted Summoner. try to shoehorned this thing into existance and it's pretty obvious he's using licke-bot to give his image a positive score, because almost all this image don't have comment and it the same thing for the article itself.

The AMWF/WMAF debacle is a real thing, and so it is valid to document it on this site. It may be niche, annoyingly sociopolitical, and laden with both /pol/faggotry and r/hapas faggotry, but it is in fact an online phenomenon, which in and of itself denotes validity for documentation on this site, whether we like it or not.

However, like you said, spaghetti boi seems to be boosting his numbers to try and get this latest racebaiting meme into trending, which he and his buddies have done before. While ICE Pepe tells me it's just a bunch of /pol/ users who just like each other's content (There are no /pol/ samefags in Ba Sing Se!), it's extremely obvious that there's also an ulterior motive.

That motive being "we do a little trolling XD."

But this racist phenomenon are so inconsequential that they have no reason to be immortalize here!

At least their should have a system that image about this thing should have to wait the validation of the Mods/admin before being post!

Juki Nuki wrote:

The AMWF/WMAF debacle is a real thing, and so it is valid to document it on this site. It may be niche, annoyingly sociopolitical, and laden with both /pol/faggotry and r/hapas faggotry, but it is in fact an online phenomenon, which in and of itself denotes validity for documentation on this site, whether we like it or not.

However, like you said, spaghetti boi seems to be boosting his numbers to try and get this latest racebaiting meme into trending, which he and his buddies have done before. While ICE Pepe tells me it's just a bunch of /pol/ users who just like each other's content (There are no /pol/ samefags in Ba Sing Se!), it's extremely obvious that there's also an ulterior motive.

That motive being "we do a little trolling XD."

I'll clear a couple of things about this topic, since some of you fellas don't want to ask me directly about it or even discuss it in the comments of said entries. The reason why I specifically have been making entries about WMAF/AMWF is because some months ago Tequila Sunset (if I'm not mistaken), asked me to get more on this subject/banter thing, which I found out being mainly a back-and-forth between Reddit and 4chan. If not, we would have to block the entry's Gallery.

I made sure to message the usual people who upload images in it and told them to not be biased. However some users joined KYM specifically to shitpost on the WMAF/AMWF Gallery and we had those banned, one very recently too.

I wanted to focus mainly on /his/ memes, which I made an entry for several months ago, but I've been tasked with this and I'm about almost done with it.

About the likes and such, I have no idea. On my profile, I see there's over 20 people following me, so it's likely I appear in a bunch of people's feeds, but also I mainly take care of 4chan memes, so it is likely that the 4chan users on KYM are the ones that are possibly brigading, if anything.

For any next questions or doubts, I'd like you to contact me directly. I'm very open to talk and I try to help when it's possible

J. The Perverted Summoner wrote:

I'll clear a couple of things about this topic, since some of you fellas don't want to ask me directly about it or even discuss it in the comments of said entries. The reason why I specifically have been making entries about WMAF/AMWF is because some months ago Tequila Sunset (if I'm not mistaken), asked me to get more on this subject/banter thing, which I found out being mainly a back-and-forth between Reddit and 4chan. If not, we would have to block the entry's Gallery.

I made sure to message the usual people who upload images in it and told them to not be biased. However some users joined KYM specifically to shitpost on the WMAF/AMWF Gallery and we had those banned, one very recently too.

I wanted to focus mainly on /his/ memes, which I made an entry for several months ago, but I've been tasked with this and I'm about almost done with it.

About the likes and such, I have no idea. On my profile, I see there's over 20 people following me, so it's likely I appear in a bunch of people's feeds, but also I mainly take care of 4chan memes, so it is likely that the 4chan users on KYM are the ones that are possibly brigading, if anything.

For any next questions or doubts, I'd like you to contact me directly. I'm very open to talk and I try to help when it's possible

I do thank you for your transparency. I can't speak for anyone else, but i was reluctant to take the matter to you directly, as I feared either lack of transparency or immediate rebuffing with a "mind your own business" stinger attached. A lot of that fear was based on admittedly bad faith – I was unsure of just how separate the memes in question were from the beliefs of those who posted them, which is a major subject behind the hypothesized likebotting/discord coordinating brought up in this thread. In other words, me and a few others were thinking that people were uploading a lot of these memes not for documentation, but for personal political gratification., and that contacting them about it would not only give us no answers, but perhaps dislike hounding, inbox threats/stalking, raids from discord groups on our accounts on other media, or an influx of inflammatory material posted on this site, perhaps even specifically targeting whoever made the inquiry.

With that in mind, I will be keeping in touch with you. It may not be immediate due to spring finals and all the stress and cramming that entails, but I will have several questions regarding motives behind posting, and where the boundaries between flag-waving and documentation lie with you and your followers. Keep in mind, I am in no way saying one is not allowed to have an opinion on memes they post here, or that anyone is obligated to have no personal connection to the things they post: rather I'm wondering if some of the political memes posted were less documentation and more of a mouthpiece, and how compatible or incompatible that is with the rules. keep in mind, I'm talking about more than just the AMWF/WMAF phenomenon, but a series of political/racial memes posted over the course of the past several months.

Thank you again for offering transparency. I will try to correlate with you on more specific matters when time permits.

Last edited Jun 30, 2021 at 02:16PM EDT

Juki Nuki wrote:

I do thank you for your transparency. I can't speak for anyone else, but i was reluctant to take the matter to you directly, as I feared either lack of transparency or immediate rebuffing with a "mind your own business" stinger attached. A lot of that fear was based on admittedly bad faith – I was unsure of just how separate the memes in question were from the beliefs of those who posted them, which is a major subject behind the hypothesized likebotting/discord coordinating brought up in this thread. In other words, me and a few others were thinking that people were uploading a lot of these memes not for documentation, but for personal political gratification., and that contacting them about it would not only give us no answers, but perhaps dislike hounding, inbox threats/stalking, raids from discord groups on our accounts on other media, or an influx of inflammatory material posted on this site, perhaps even specifically targeting whoever made the inquiry.

With that in mind, I will be keeping in touch with you. It may not be immediate due to spring finals and all the stress and cramming that entails, but I will have several questions regarding motives behind posting, and where the boundaries between flag-waving and documentation lie with you and your followers. Keep in mind, I am in no way saying one is not allowed to have an opinion on memes they post here, or that anyone is obligated to have no personal connection to the things they post: rather I'm wondering if some of the political memes posted were less documentation and more of a mouthpiece, and how compatible or incompatible that is with the rules. keep in mind, I'm talking about more than just the AMWF/WMAF phenomenon, but a series of political/racial memes posted over the course of the past several months.

Thank you again for offering transparency. I will try to correlate with you on more specific matters when time permits.

Believe me, there's no problem at all. I know a lot of times the threads in these forums are ignored or snobbed. Personally I don't like that either. However, just like you, I'm particularly busy, especially during the summer, where I have to work around 13 hours every day.

We have a lot of content, that goes from horny, to politics, race-baiting, Twitter drama, several trends, TikTok and many more. There's images and entries from a lot of websites, and it's not easy taking account of it all.

Nonetheless, if you need help in some way, an explaination or whatever else, you only have to ask. That being said, good luck with your finals. We're all doing something in this period, which is why the site isn't exactly as active as it was this winter or last year.
Have a nice day

some months ago Tequila Sunset (if I'm not mistaken), asked me to get more on this subject/banter thing, which I found out being mainly a back-and-forth between Reddit and 4chan. If not, we would have to block the entry's Gallery.

The gallery tends to be a big magnet for controversy and complaints, so we had a vote over whether to lock or unlock the gallery, until J explained that we needed the gallery open as a repository for various AMWF related memes that he's working on. We came to a decision to keep the gallery active until we get all the related AMWF entries out of the way. Sorry if it ends up annoying people, but as of right now it's the compromise we've come to.

J please correct me if I got anything wrong

Bilbo Swaggins wrote:

some months ago Tequila Sunset (if I'm not mistaken), asked me to get more on this subject/banter thing, which I found out being mainly a back-and-forth between Reddit and 4chan. If not, we would have to block the entry's Gallery.

The gallery tends to be a big magnet for controversy and complaints, so we had a vote over whether to lock or unlock the gallery, until J explained that we needed the gallery open as a repository for various AMWF related memes that he's working on. We came to a decision to keep the gallery active until we get all the related AMWF entries out of the way. Sorry if it ends up annoying people, but as of right now it's the compromise we've come to.

J please correct me if I got anything wrong

Something like that, yes. We said something similar about the Amerimutt / Le 56% Face entry too, which I should be starting to work on as well.
I found that monitoring the material that is posted on the WMAF/AMWF entry is much better than blocking it, and that's my opinion on ANY entry. I'd rather avoid Galleries being blocked unless it's strictly necessary.

I figured it was better paying attention to the ones who upload stuff in it and tell them to upload both positives and negatives from both sides, without making the entry too biased. We banned a troll a couple of days ago specifically because he joined to shitpost and bait in that Gallery and nothing else.

Other than that, I noticed a few OCs, which are fine. BringBackPomf uploads a lot in it (he does it to farm stats, don't ask me why), but he knows what to do.

I don't want to make all my Entries to be about the same topic, so I'm switching it up when I can. Last week was Shazamposting, and 2 weeks ago it was the chinlet Nordic neo-nazi from Discord.

Once I'm done with these, I'll go back to make some different Entries, and post my own memes, which I haven't been doing for many months now.

Here, got this one
Usually, memes that makes jokes about the n-word get passes here (e.g. Cortex), but unironically spouting NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER usually doesn't fly, let alone with upvotes.

Hell, a lot of this guy's recent uploads in the gigachad gallery seem to follow this pattern.

Last edited Jul 11, 2021 at 01:57PM EDT

I know that this kind of fact state in this image are unfortunatly unpoplar, but still the number of downvote is kind of suspicious:

https://knowyourmeme.com/photos/2145404-object-labeling

https://knowyourmeme.com/comments/5810206#comment_5810206

I the relentlessness of some people on my comment kinda funny and flatering.

https://knowyourmeme.com/comments/5814957

Look how Charmelius vote are strangely higers then the average of the rest of other comment.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!