Forums / Media / Video Games

38,808 total conversations in 2,718 threads

+ New Thread

You playing any spooky games for October?

Last posted Oct 31, 2017 at 09:13AM EDT. Added Oct 03, 2017 at 11:06AM EDT
24 posts from 20 users

Every October I generally make it a point to play a couple horror themed games, so yeah I'm curious to know if anyone else is doing the same.

Right now I'm playing through Manhunt on the PS4 (it's available as a PS2 Classic). Since most horror games usually focus on more overt supernatural threats, Manhunt is one of the few horror games that really stands out from others due to the fact there's nothing supernatural about it, you're a lone man being hunted by blood thirsty gangs who are being controlled by a corrupt former Hollywood director whose gone into make illegal snuff films for his own personal enjoyment. The soundtrack has a very "80s horror film" sound to it that's heavy in synth, the game is very dark and grimy, and some of the executions could make some people feel legitimately uncomfortable despite the aged graphics. I hear the sequel is also good if you enjoy a more psychological horror approach but personally I've yet to play it (I know an uncut PC release did get officially released by Rockstar but I just haven't gotten around to getting it myself).

After that I'm thinking of playing the Obscure games on PC. Obscure 1 and 2 are these little known survival horror games that originally came out back in the mid 00s on PS2 and PC (though I believe the second game also got a Wii release), they came out during the era when old-school survival horror with fixed camera angles and every door loading in a new area was still a thing. They pay homage to horror films where the main characters are people who are either high school seniors or college freshman having to deal with some strange crap going on around their school, and interestingly the first game even uses a licensed song by Sum 41 to really bring home said homage. The Steam PC releases are notable for actually updating the games to not only run at modern resolutions, but they also have native Xbox 360 controller support with the proper button UI prompts. If you want something with a more old school vibe that's also not a big name like Resident Evil or Alone in the Dark then this fits the bill.

While not specifically a horror-centric series (with the exception of 3), I'm currently marathoning all the DooM games. I've already played through DooM and DooM 2, and despite being two of the great grand daddies of the FPS genre, they're still really fun. The gameplay is addictive and adrenaline pumping, the atmosphere is surprisingly heavy, and the music is kickass… but only if you're playing a sourceport. Playing these games on dosbox is fine and all, but the controls are a little too archaic for my taste and the music borders on 32x quality.

If you plan on playing these games: download Zdoom. It'll make your experience a lot more enjoyable.

As soon as it gets near Halloween, I going to play Inside. I hope that it's not too difficult, though luckily there doesn't seem to be a impossible to get achievement like with Limbo. I'm sort of regretting buying it on Steam though since a Switch port has also been announced (same with another game I purchased on Steam: Lumo), but since it's not going to be released anytime soon, I guess it's good I have it now.

Mistress Fortune wrote:

Every October I generally make it a point to play a couple horror themed games, so yeah I'm curious to know if anyone else is doing the same.

Right now I'm playing through Manhunt on the PS4 (it's available as a PS2 Classic). Since most horror games usually focus on more overt supernatural threats, Manhunt is one of the few horror games that really stands out from others due to the fact there's nothing supernatural about it, you're a lone man being hunted by blood thirsty gangs who are being controlled by a corrupt former Hollywood director whose gone into make illegal snuff films for his own personal enjoyment. The soundtrack has a very "80s horror film" sound to it that's heavy in synth, the game is very dark and grimy, and some of the executions could make some people feel legitimately uncomfortable despite the aged graphics. I hear the sequel is also good if you enjoy a more psychological horror approach but personally I've yet to play it (I know an uncut PC release did get officially released by Rockstar but I just haven't gotten around to getting it myself).

After that I'm thinking of playing the Obscure games on PC. Obscure 1 and 2 are these little known survival horror games that originally came out back in the mid 00s on PS2 and PC (though I believe the second game also got a Wii release), they came out during the era when old-school survival horror with fixed camera angles and every door loading in a new area was still a thing. They pay homage to horror films where the main characters are people who are either high school seniors or college freshman having to deal with some strange crap going on around their school, and interestingly the first game even uses a licensed song by Sum 41 to really bring home said homage. The Steam PC releases are notable for actually updating the games to not only run at modern resolutions, but they also have native Xbox 360 controller support with the proper button UI prompts. If you want something with a more old school vibe that's also not a big name like Resident Evil or Alone in the Dark then this fits the bill.

Obscure is underrated af
the steam version comes also with the great soundtrack

Since I got Outlast recently from the time it was free and I haven't started it yet, I might give it a go. Also maybe play a few rounds of Monstrum.

I might also play Resident Evil Revelations 2, but I don't really know anything about the game yet.

It's less "spooky" and more "dark and ultra-violent", but I'm going to attempt to finish my playthrough of Hotline Miami 2's hard mode this month (and that's a big emphasis on attempt).

Other than that, I'll probably start on either Bioshock or Alan Wake; they've been sitting in my Steam library for a while, so I might as well play them now.

Okay, I know this is kind of a spoiler, but I just finished my fist…playthrough…of Doki Doki Literature Club and it freaked me out in a way that games rarely do. Normally, horror games don't phase me. I can play the old Silent Hill or Resident Evil games and I never feel scared. This is something else. Thing is, I went in expecting things to get disturbing, because it straight up told me it would at the start, but it still managed to play me like a fiddle. I'm avoiding spoilers as best as I can here. If you are up for something freaky, give it a try and start the game knowing as little about it as you can.

Edit: I should probably should mention that it's free to play on Steam and the game's website.

Last edited Oct 08, 2017 at 02:12AM EDT

Considering my library of games, I thought of going into one of the Silent Hill games. Would play Homecoming on PC but that's a bad port (I will admit to the ambience actually getting me though).

Might get into Clock Tower since that could work in horror or Spooky's House of Jumpscares (or it remake) since that was the last scary game I played. The Hospital DLC would be more fitting since it's not RNG rooms of running away.

I may play a few Halloween flash games online.

The one game I want to play is Sweet Home. However that game hasn't been released outside of Japan. So, I'll find a fan translated emulated ROM.

I just played The Witch's House, a Japanese freeware RPG Maker game. It's essentially a short puzzle game with scares. While a few things about the interface were confusing, it generally had a good atmosphere and clever logic puzzles. Also, it's worth getting multiple ending just to find out how jaw-droppingly fucked up the premise really is.

Bumping to point out that Steam is having a sale on everything even remotely horror-related until November 1. I just picked up Limbo, Organ Trail, and Detention (a Taiwanese horror game) for under $10.

Also, I recently played a couple Japanese RPG Maker horror games. Along with the above mentioned The Witch's House, I also played Ib, Mad Father, and Misao. They were all free, legal, and clever, though every time I played, I ran into a puzzle that got me stuck for a long time and I would have to check a guide. It helped that all of them were short enough to play through in one sitting, so they are like memorable short stories. I'm interested in starting Yume Nikki, but its so confusing and lengthy that I'm intimidated.

I played Layers of Fear. While the atmosphere was definitely well-defined, I found most of it to be pretty boring and uninspired. 5/10.

Last edited Oct 31, 2017 at 09:13AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!