Forums / Discussion / General

232,914 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured Locked Locked
KYM Pony General V: We Just Don't Know What Went Wrong

Last posted Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT. Added Feb 19, 2012 at 11:27PM EST
9926 posts from 193 users

@Fifths

Rainbow Dash is by no means my favorite pony or least favorite pony, but what I really liked about this episode was its willingness to portray one of the main characters in a negative light, make you not like Rainbow Dash only for it to all be okay when she learns her lesson at the end. Apart from Suited for Success making me hate everyone but Rarity (how is this possible?) and Secret of my Excess making me hate Spike, it's not something you see a whole lot ever in any show, really.

@My Little Fortress

Daring Do is better Scout than Rainbow Dash by virtue of "Daring Do is best pony."

Last edited Jun 12, 2012 at 11:08PM EDT

Yeah… anybody know a method to clean the scent of troll off ya?
@Fifths(?) That is a great point. Her character does tend to get more or less shallow through some of the episodes. That is why I like the Mare Do Well episode. That and Hurricane Fluttershy. They both just show Dash and her struggle of trying to be a good friend while trying to control her ego and rough around the edges personality that get in her way. I want fries now.

Last edited Jun 12, 2012 at 11:06PM EDT

Bah, I decided to change from the y u no guy to Slendy, cause he's best meme.
Hello, all…

Again, with the Mare-Do-Well episode. I don't really remember it that well, so I'm going from what I remember. If you guys are complaining about RD being bitchy in that episode, she was only being bitchy because she didn't wanna get up-staged by Mare-Do-Well, and that's what caused her downfall.

Last edited Jun 12, 2012 at 11:22PM EDT

@Fifths
That's pretty much what I like about her, too.
In those times where she comes across as rude or abrasive, I rarely feel like she is being deliberately 'bad.'
She's just fast, both literally and in terms of her body reacting before her brain sometimes.
There's that joke that AJ and RD's elements were switched and RD should be honesty because of her tendency to blurt out the 'truth' ('Rarity's not a laughingstock.' → 'She kinda is!') but I don't buy it because her honesty isn't really a conscious character choice.
It's just an (endearing) inability to keep her mouth shut at times.
Plus, even when she's being a little jerky, she's still cute as hell!
So, in conclusion:

RD's my favorite of the six because, well, if she's good enough for Faust, she's good enough for me!
(RD being based on Firefly, Faust's favorite G1 pony)

@ Mare Do Well episode
I can understand why some people don’t like that episode. I see most of you have already commented on it so I won’t go into details. I will say however, that I did like that episode. In fact, it’s one of my favorite Rainbow Dash episodes, but there has been one thing on my mind ever since watching it: the water dam. I mean, why does Ponyville have a water dam? First of all, does Ponyville go through enough electricity to need a water dam? Second, I thought everything electronic ran on magic. Third, does Equestria use other forms of power? Wind power? Solar power? Nuclear power? I’m not the only one thinking this right?

@MMDW discussion
This discussion seems to lack any mention of Merriwether Williams. While all of you make valid points, I seem to recall a lot of people blaming the writer Merriwether Williams for the episode being OMG, SO TERIBUL. I recall a lot of people on Ponychan dissing the episode due to what seemed like inappropriate bias against a writer, simply because it was her first episode on the show and she was less fmiliar with the characters.

On an unrelated not, I had to do a media review for my Public Speaking class in college. You'll never guess what I reviewed!

Fake edit:
Sorry for the low quality video. This assignment was almost late, so I was stuck with this terribly compressed version to avoid being tardy.

@DeadParrot

Concerning their element assignment, Dash really isn't as honest as she is "lacking in all tact"If there were to be a form of honesty for Plato to wax philosophically about, I would say it would be embodied in just a general life attitude to look at the reality of things squarely, not lying to others or yourself about it, which Dash doesn't seem to embody. I will tell you this though, if I were friends with the main six and I had, say, a bully picking on me, here's what I would expect to happen. Fluttershy would offer sympathies, Pinkie Pie would try to pick my spirits up with a party, Rarity would get catty and gossip about what a miserable lout the bully was, Twilight would offer some wise proverb about how bullies never prosper, and AJ would begin discussing plans to deal with this problem. Dash wouldn't be there, she'd be out kicking the shit out of the bully.

Dash is the friend who might not be the most polite and gentle, but she's also the one you KNOW has your back when it comes down to it no matter what.

Ric Te$l@ wrote:

Applebloom was walkin2 skewl wit
Spike n they were crossin da trale.
she sed "bbz wil u luv me 4evr"
He said "NO…"
da filly cryed N galloped across da trale
b4 da green stallion came on the sine.
Spike was cryin and went to pic up her body.
she was ded.
he whsipered 2 her corpse
"I ment 2 sey I will luv u FIVE-ever……"
(dat mean he luv her moar dan 4evr…..)

Liek if you crie every tiem ;_;

GIANTDAD wrote:

Liek if you crie every tiem ;_;

I don't cry to that all the time.I only cry sometimes when I'm lying in bed, just to get that sad story out of my head.

HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA!!!!

Last edited Jun 13, 2012 at 01:29AM EDT

@Derpy Hooves

Oh, that's funny. You're pretty funny, AREN'T YOU DERPY?! And YOU Lyra! Are you making fun of me too? You laugh at me, I WRATH AT YOU!!!

Aw, who am I kidding, I can't stay mad at you two. I JUST LOVE YOU GUYS.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot.

@disturbedbrony

True, Ponyville doesn't seem like it'd really require the amount of power that is produced by a hydroelectric dam of that size. The odd thing is, for that scene to work, they could have used a levee or some other flood-control structure, but they very intentionally showed those electrical transformers or whatever they were. I guess we could just assume that a great deal of that power is outsourced to some other cities, especially ones like Manehattan or Philydelphia, as those seem to be cities more reliant on technology. Good enough for me anyway.

Last edited Jun 13, 2012 at 03:51AM EDT

MFW I finished my last exam today:

(You might think I'm exaggerating here, but that gif is actually pretty accurate. My last exam was on maths, and by some miracle I freakin' nailed it.)

I've got about 4 months of summer ahead of me and I have absolutely nothing important to do, so I guess that means you'll be seeing a lot more of me around here. This'll also give me a chance to get back into fanfics, since I've been too occupied with work recently to really enjoy them.

Seriously, this is like, the best day ever.

@MMDW discussion
It seems like pretty much everyone here agrees that it was actually a pretty good episode, but I still don't like it anywhere near as much as some of the others. It's difficult to pinpoint exactly what the problems were, but something about it just felt different, and not in a good way. The way a lot of the characters behaved and interacted with each other just seemed a little off at times, and I think the pacing of the story could have been better. There's also the problem of the ending, which seemed rushed and a bit forced to me.

This isn't the only episode where I feel like something was off, as I also felt the same about Cutie Pox, May the Best Pet Win, and MMMystery on the Friendship Express to some extent. I think it might be because those episodes have a larger focus on action scenes than the interactions between the mane 6, which is something I consider to be one of the main highlights of the show.

Last edited Jun 13, 2012 at 11:21AM EDT

@About the dam
Yeah, Ponyville probably doesn't need the power, but you don't necessarily build a dam where you need the power.
You build it where you can get the power.
Lots of power plants are built quite some distance from the major centers that they service simply because they need something (usually a large water supply) that the city doesn't have nearby.

@Algernon

Congratulations! Math exams are always a bugger. Glad you did well!
--
@dam
Well, one resource can only go so far. True, magic would seem like the dominant source of power, but when that doesn't deliver enough power, then you're going to have to find alternate sources of energy.
As for other sources of energy besides dam and magic, I can't think of any right now. I would assume steam and coal-power for vehicles like the train (if I remember correctly).
--
Well, there is other news…Er….
could you please explain, Nightmare moon…

Any one know the name of this tumblr or a link to it btw?

Edit: New page get because I love saying it to annoy the living hell out of people for no reason what so ever.

Last edited Jun 13, 2012 at 11:59AM EDT

Alright new topic since no one is doing anything. If you could have a maximum of five episodes about your favorite fanfiction to be on the show, what would the fanfiction be, and what would the episode(s) be about?

Explosive Lasers AKA Solaire AKA Sexiest wrote:

@Popper:

OH GAWD YOU GOT NIGHTMARE PREGNANT!

OH GAWD WHAT IS CHRYSALIS GONNA DO WHEN SHE FINDS OUT?!

OH GAWD WHAT IS PYRO GONNA DO WHEN HE FINDS OUT?!

He did WHAT?!!?

Last edited Jun 13, 2012 at 01:12PM EDT

Zarathh wrote:

Alright new topic since no one is doing anything. If you could have a maximum of five episodes about your favorite fanfiction to be on the show, what would the fanfiction be, and what would the episode(s) be about?

Seriously.
Anything with Scootaloo.
Happy, sad, funny, even boring: I don't care.
Just something.

As for other fics becoming episodes, there really aren't very many that would really work for a lot of reasons.
Obviously, any story with any grimdark or shipping elements is pretty much out right off the bat.
I also don't really see the show venturing into overly sad territory, at least not for long, so most sad stories are unlikely.
Meta humor and human stuff would break the universe so a lot of those comedies are gone, too.

I have read a few stories that would make legitimately good episodes, but I can only remember one off the top of my head.
AH AIN'T GOT NO ACK-CENT
This was a very nice little tale of being true to yourself that fit the characters well and was interesting without being too overly complex to fit into a 30 minute time-slot.

@Guile (regarding Sitting Pyro's quoted post) & Sitting Pyro

I went on a date with Chrysalis, that was the news. It was a fantastic evening, and I care you to get that sick idea about me impregnating Nightmare Moon out of your heads.

@fanfic episodes
Past Sins would make a good series of episodes. Otherwise, I'd say good action-adventure fics would help make the series look a little bit more believable for bronies to watch to the outside world.
And (0.000000000001 % chance of this happening) if the intended audience goes spontaneously down and Hasbro hands over rights to Studio B, I'd say:
FALLOUT: EQUESTRIA

@Popper
….they're joking. Both of them are joking.
Besides, I'm infertile, so the idea is already impossible.
@Fanfics to episodes
InB4Cupcakes, Rainbow Factory, and Sweet Apple Massacre
Nah, I kid. Personally, I think Guile's choice of Eternal is a good one.

Sister, please, not in front of the humans…you'll give them ideas….

BACK THE FUCK UP EVERYPONY!!!!!!

YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE WHAT JUST HAPPENED!!!!

I just caught a motherfucking Filly Derpy in Ponymon.

FILLY MOTHERFUCKING DERPY, MOTHERFUCKERS!

A 1% encounter rate in ONE patch of grass, and one of the most difficult ponies to catch ever. I used ten Ponyballs, and caught her on the LAST goddamn Ponyball! I now have the rarest, most useless Ponymon in existence. She's basically an uber-rare Magikarp.

@Guile
Hey, I got one just a few days ago, too!
She was in that patch of grass just south of Mt. Moon (or whatever the pony version is called).
And, yes, she is the game's Magikarp.

'Derp' is just 'Splash' re-named.
According to the wiki, she won't learn an offensive attack until level 12…
Worth it!

Yeah, I still prefer the CMC, Pinkie, and CheeriMac in my group, even though Derpy is so rare. I got mine from the patch of grass between Hoofington (Brock's town) and the Everfree forest.

I hope he turns into Gyarados when she evolves, though, metaphorically speaking. She just doesn't know what went wrong.

Edit: @Pyro:

I posted it as Muffinator earlier, but here's a link.

Last edited Jun 13, 2012 at 01:49PM EDT

Zarathh wrote:

Windigo's trollfic where I drop in and claim everyone my bitch.

Last edited Jun 13, 2012 at 02:40PM EDT

Algernon wrote:

MFW I finished my last exam today:

(You might think I'm exaggerating here, but that gif is actually pretty accurate. My last exam was on maths, and by some miracle I freakin' nailed it.)

I've got about 4 months of summer ahead of me and I have absolutely nothing important to do, so I guess that means you'll be seeing a lot more of me around here. This'll also give me a chance to get back into fanfics, since I've been too occupied with work recently to really enjoy them.

Seriously, this is like, the best day ever.

@MMDW discussion
It seems like pretty much everyone here agrees that it was actually a pretty good episode, but I still don't like it anywhere near as much as some of the others. It's difficult to pinpoint exactly what the problems were, but something about it just felt different, and not in a good way. The way a lot of the characters behaved and interacted with each other just seemed a little off at times, and I think the pacing of the story could have been better. There's also the problem of the ending, which seemed rushed and a bit forced to me.

This isn't the only episode where I feel like something was off, as I also felt the same about Cutie Pox, May the Best Pet Win, and MMMystery on the Friendship Express to some extent. I think it might be because those episodes have a larger focus on action scenes than the interactions between the mane 6, which is something I consider to be one of the main highlights of the show.

my exams are next week
and i never studied

@DeadParrot
Then someone call Chrissy Chris.

He's a secret ageeee~ent man!

This is just too much:

Dammit, RandomMan! What have I told you about abusing your swagg!
Here is the full size image
EDIT: Do any of you know if someone has ponyfied Chris Hansen?

Last edited Jun 13, 2012 at 05:24PM EDT

@Slinker

Somebody made this awhile ago.

@Popper

We don't blame you for getting Nightmare Moon pregnant or anything, man. It's not like you can turn swag like this off.

Last edited Jun 13, 2012 at 05:41PM EDT

@Slinker
That comic shows exactly why I love Angel.
He's such an adorable little bastard!

But no matter what he does, you know that he loves Fluttershy more than anything.

Hey, there's a good topic: Favorite pet!
Mine is Angel obviously, for the above reasons and because he's really the only pet with an interesting personality.

@DeadParrot The reason being for Angel having an interesting personality is that he (I might be wrong) is the only pet with a major load of screen time.

BTW. I'm a dog person, soooo…

Toothless, like a meth-head sir.

Last edited Jun 13, 2012 at 06:23PM EDT

@Slinker
Well, Tank and Owlowlycious (close enough!) each had their own episodes.
Gummy has appeared a few times and Winona and Opal have both been seen a couple times.
I've seen plenty of people say that they prefer one of the others, so I was just wondering what everyone here thought. (Plus, no one is really talking about anything else right now…)
Angel's just the only one that really has major interactions with the main cast on a fully-sentient level.

@RandomMan
Why can't I stop watching Fluttershy hit that mailbox?
It's hypnotizing…

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!