Forums / Discussion / General

232,915 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VI: Return of the Poni

Last posted Apr 19, 2013 at 12:20AM EDT. Added Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT
10166 posts from 235 users

Felt like doing a cover. Hope you guys like it.

God, I can make anything depressing.

Edit: PAGE GET BITCHES!

Let;s do a cmc page since I already put up the song.

Last edited Jul 22, 2012 at 08:10PM EDT

@Joe Amethyst

TwiJack…

Just Kidding; it's not that extreme.

If anyone's curious, here's the OTP's:

Derpy-Doctor Whooves, FlutterMac/Cheerlie-Mac (can't decide) and Sparity. Though it's not exactly an OTP of mine, AppleDash I see as plausible.

Ships with the Mane 6 (or just MLP les ships in general), are probably just products of a feminine show that doesn't have enough masculine characters for a majority of male/female ships to be plausible.

What do you mean, "YOU DON'T SAY"?

I freaking love these:

Last edited Jul 22, 2012 at 08:34PM EDT

OTPs?

Let me grab my list.

ahem

I don't ship, personally, but these are the ones I generally approve of most.

Sparity
Appledash
Rarijack
Twijack (Because of Yours Truly)
PinkieDash (Because of Bittersweet, kinda)
Flutterpie
DoctorXDerpy
LyraXBonBon (Pretty much canon)
Princest (THIS IS THE BEST SHIP!)
DisPie (I dunno, pretty funny, to me)
CheeriMac (Even though I think they broke it off at the end of HnHD)
SpikeBloom (SO KAWAII!)
SpiderSparkle (Spiderman is too damn sexy)
OctaviaXCello
RDXTheKitchenSink
Bosami
Sukka
And, finally, my favorite ship of all:

Cadence and Shining Armor

Because fuck all of you, canon is the best ship.

I don't understand the point of shipping personally. I mean, this might just stem out of the fact that I find romance corny and that I find 'love' to be vacuous term signifying nothing, but I just cannot understand the appeal of finding two characters you like and rubbing them together. If it's out of context like in a picture, it just seems kind of pointless, and if it's in a fic or something, it will invariably be some cliche ass love story. There's a reason why Twilight is bad people, it's because it's Stephanie Meyer was shipping herself with some vampire jack off material.

Relationships in narrative should only be used to further a story. For all the short comings, at least the Royal Wedding did that right.

@Fifths
While I do agree that the Royal Wedding was a study in awesomeness, the main romance wasn't really that well written. The soon-to-be-weds didn't really have any discernible personality, and consequently didn't have much chemistry. However, maybe the lack of a love story is why you liked it. Regardless, I'm expecting some character development in the future other than the pinnacles of perfection they've been this far. Flaws make the character.

@ships

Because you're an unholy abomination.

AKA why I don't like the Sparity ship (no offense to anyone on here). It's not the race really as it is Spike's age. I'm assuming Rarity is about 18-20 while Spike is about 8. I like to think Spike's crush is like that of a kid on his attractive teacher/babysitter, and the teacher/babysitter doesn't do anything so as not to create a scene or she thinks it's cute. So I don't like viewing it as otp like many others do.

I do think the Spike x Sweetie Belle ship is cute as hell though.

Remember folks, it's semi-cannon!

Other than that, I'm pretty open in my ships. The only other one I don't like is the Twixie ship, mainly because I think Trixie is a horrible character (no offense again). I've even enjoyed fics with less common ships like RariMac.

I used to hate shipping, but these threads changed me from hating it to accepting it to liking it a good deal.

Btw, I did this from my phone. It was hard. But I was not going to miss the topic I waited months for.

Last edited Jul 22, 2012 at 10:20PM EDT

Muffins wrote:

@ships

Because you're an unholy abomination.

AKA why I don't like the Sparity ship (no offense to anyone on here). It's not the race really as it is Spike's age. I'm assuming Rarity is about 18-20 while Spike is about 8. I like to think Spike's crush is like that of a kid on his attractive teacher/babysitter, and the teacher/babysitter doesn't do anything so as not to create a scene or she thinks it's cute. So I don't like viewing it as otp like many others do.

I do think the Spike x Sweetie Belle ship is cute as hell though.

Remember folks, it's semi-cannon!

Other than that, I'm pretty open in my ships. The only other one I don't like is the Twixie ship, mainly because I think Trixie is a horrible character (no offense again). I've even enjoyed fics with less common ships like RariMac.

I used to hate shipping, but these threads changed me from hating it to accepting it to liking it a good deal.

Btw, I did this from my phone. It was hard. But I was not going to miss the topic I waited months for.

That is no more than tease. Rarispike is much more canon than that. Not that I disapprove, coz hey, if you can't get one girl, just go for the sister, right?

Anyway, as for ships, I've always liked Fluttermac.

It's straight, which is nice in a world with mostly lesbian pairings, and the tough-guy/girly-girl dynamic (I probably could've phrased that better, but you get the point) works very well. I kind of fell off the wagon during Hearts and Hooves when that whole shipping war started with Cheerimac, but that's cooled off, and I'm back to liking it.

Plus, just look at how cute that image is.

I once saw Octavia accept Spitfire's "Something Special for Somepony Special" in Team Fortress. Contrary to what any reasonable person would do in the situation, I failed to grab a screenshot, so you'll all have to take my word for it. However, as any reasonable person would do, I made it my OTP. This is literally the only picture I could find.

Just kidding. As far as shipping goes, I wouldn't say I don't enjoy it. It's perfectly fine by me, and as long as a story is well written, I can be convinced by anything. So, all you writefags, I expect an Octavia/Spitfire ship fic by sunup.

@Fifths

That was pretty good, actually. Have you ever considered writing your own music?

Last edited Jul 22, 2012 at 11:37PM EDT
I once saw Octavia accept Spitfire’s “Something Special for Somepony Special” in Team Fortress.

True Story. I saw that, too.

The only other one I don’t like is the Twixie ship, mainly because I think Trixie is a horrible character (no offense again).

Pixelkitties comics alone makes me like that ship.

ZOOM. ENHANCE.

Twixie is the best ship imo because it's spawned the funniest comics.

I'm pretty neutral on shipping outside of funny stuff. I am interested in discussing "friendshipping," though. I like to talk about which ponies I believe would have a closer relationship, but I can't imagine any of the characters being THAT close. Also, the images are cute, can't deny that.

Posting random Fluttershy because it's been too long since you've last seen this picture and you know it.

Last edited Jul 23, 2012 at 12:02AM EDT

Okay, so I was going through Youtube, listening to some Disney songs and while I was reading and listening to the lyrics of, "Part of Your World" from The Little Mermaid, I started to think about Sea Pony Lyra…

which made MFW: "HOLY SHIT, THIS SONG MATCHES PERFECTLY FOR HER!"

Just listen to it.

What can be heard cannot be unheard.

@Fifths

I don’t understand the point of shipping personally

It shouldn't be that hard to understand. It's purely entertainment value. In other words; people ship for the same reason we watch ponies in the first place.

Some people just take enjoyment out of observing other people pair up. There is a laundry list of reasons why, but I think slightly wishing to be in a relationship yourself is a large factor.

It's hard to get that kind of enjoyment IRL (especially since matchmaking your friend usually ends in disaster) but fictional characters make that easy. Furthermore with fictional characters you have a the added bonus fun of figuring out how those characters would actually react, respond and behave in shipping situations. If your hobby involves learning how said characters behave in situations (I.E: being a Brony) then all the more fun for you.

Personally I remain neutral towards shipping because of that perspective I have of it and why people do it. If it's good, it's good. If it's bad it's bad. I don't bother myself with it too much.

Yes there are some shippings which people make that don't make sense at all or reek of controversy but since ships are entirely composed of subjective opinion, I simply ignore shippings I don't agree with.

If it does make sense or simply seems really adorable my reaction is usually along the lines of "Awww, how sweet"

But overall shipping isn't where I get my fun and I'm too engrossed in video games to put any thought into [Insert Pony]'s love life.

Personally, I'm not that into shipping myself, and I don't really partake in it, but I do see some of the appeal. It's fairly entertaining, and funny as hell if you're doing it for shits n giggles. I think it's mostly just a practice in entertainment and fun.

But, we did have the Fluttermac vs Cheerimac war way back when… So… Some people might take it a bit too far. Whatever, doesn't really bother me or ruin my enjoyment.

Friendshipping, on the other hand, seems to be a bit more innocent, fitting for the show, etc. I like it more, myself, and I see where the appeal stems from, seeing as I enjoy it, too. It also seems to fit some relationships a lot more. Where I have trouble seeing Octavia and Scratch in a shipping situation (the cellos and the turntables get REALLY jealous), I can see them being friends pretty easily, in the classic 'you suck' sense. As a note, that 'you suck' does exist in a faraway land called reality.

Either way, Princest or GTFO.

Shipping time, eh?
I guess you could say I'm neutral on it.
I don't have any OTPs or anything (I didn't even know what OTP meant until a couple months ago), but the art and comics can be very cute/funny.
Here's one I haven't seen much of:

The thing I find interesting in non-comedic shipping is the interaction.
Just seeing how the two personalities play off of each other when in close quarters, if done 'realistically' enough, can be fun.
Now obviously, this can be done without having the characters get into an actual relationship, so I can really take it or leave it.
I've never had a desire to read a story designed primarily as a shipfic, but I'm okay if it pops up in the telling of a larger story.

@Exudes
Here's another Spitfire/Octavia picture that might imply shipping.

@Fifths
Nice work on the CMCs theme!
Always been one of my favorites and your version has an interesting, almost melancholy, tone to it.
Nice work!

Some people just take enjoyment out of observing other people pair up. There is a laundry list of reasons why, but I think slightly wishing to be in a relationship yourself is a large factor.

Yup. You figured it out. Twilight is like my Mary Sue and Trixie is my waifu. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm very busy taking absolutely no part in a meaningful relationship and it requires my full attention.

Also, Fluttershy x Bloomberg is OTP.

@Fighting is Magic
I wonder what the input for Rarity's diagonal-flying gems that attack airborne characters is? I was thinking it was foward-down-forward, but they sure seem to pull it off easy mid-combo. And they could barely pull a super in the PON-E3 stream. And Pinkamena and Busterhoof are probably gonna get nerfed later, I'm callin' it.

In my totally modest opinion, CaraMac is the crackiest crack ship that was ever cracked.

This is the only pairing I've ever really liked, to be honest:

It's a pretty crack pairing as well, but they were seen together on Hearts and Hooves day at least.

@Burning

Those poor 4chan kids, you'd think they would get tired of hating everything everywhere all the time.

Last edited Jul 23, 2012 at 04:09AM EDT

@Dan

Do you know how hard it is for a 900 year old time travelling alien to find love these days?

I'd hardly call that a crack pairing. If Derpy were a human, I could easily see her as a companion for the Doctor, who has already made it well clear that he has a soft spot for blondes. Besides, Derpy is clumsy and absent-minded in a funny and cute way (or, at least, in my head she is), as opposed to Rose Tyler, who was just stupid and made me just want to strangle myself every moment I turned on the TV to see her.

As for CaraMac… You've only got so many male characters. People gotta do what they gotta do. It's not as bad as Soarin' and Braeburn.

@DeadParrot

I saw that picture while searching, but for the sake of making my point, I allowed a little suspension of disbelief and considered it platonic. But of course, Vinyl keeps getting in the way.

I need to stop finding Octavia/Spitfire pictures. I'm ruining the point I made earlier, taking away any hipster cred I had gained with my OTP.

Cred, something I feel obligated to do for anything I get off dA.

Last edited Jul 23, 2012 at 04:18AM EDT

@Affluence

Hey, you know what? Works for me. For justifying my only OTP even further, I'ma post some moar.

By the same artist, no less. He just has a really cute way of drawing these two. Unlike Fifths, I can appreciate a well-conveyed romance. It's really too bad Hollywood has screwed up the concept so badly.

@Shipping

Eh, no biggy. You love them, I'm ok with it. I'm completely neutral on shipping. I also don't have an OTP or anything. Any pairing can work for me, the challenge for the artist is how they work it out. With enough dedication, the most crackiest crack pairing can become very good. Do shit, and even the popular ones like Lyra X Bonbon become shit. Of course, the quality of the art you present the ship in makes up a large factor of how people will look at it. To me, shipping is just another form of art. Instead of drawing just a character, they draw 2 (or more :3) characters in a romantic relationship.

But I have to say though, I do love comedic shipping. It offers so much fun.

Princest (THIS IS THE BEST SHIP!)
Either way, Princest or GTFO.

Honestly, that's not exactly false. I do love my sister no matter what, and she has no issue with a little romantic relationship between us either. So it is true…although it's very rare for us to do anything beyond kissing and cuddling. And what can I say, we make a cute couple:

@Fifths

Reminds me of the time I watched the Yu-Gi-Oh French translation. Couldn't stop laughing through the whole episode. I don't know why, but there's something about French cartoons that sounds so goddam hilarious.

@Fifths
There's just something about the language that is both awesome and hilarious at the same time.
I still love The French and Powerful Trixie.

@Bruno
FiMFiction is probably the best site to upload a fic if you need a host and an active pool of readers.
Submitting to EQD just requires you to fill out a form: SUBMISSION FORM.
Before you do either of these, though, I would suggest asking around for some proofreading/editing assistance from people you know more directly, if you haven't already.
The more polish you can get with your grammar and word choice going in, the better chances you'll have of actually getting through.
I got a lot of help from people right here on KYM when I wrote my story and the improvements they made really made a difference in it reception on other sites.
EQD is especially strict about what they post so I wouldn't go there until you are very confident with what you have, especially now that they only allow a story to be turned back three times before blocking it permanently.

Good luck!

Bruno the Rustler wrote:

I want to publicate a fanfic. Where and how I can do that. Also, maybe I submit my fanfic to Equestra Daily. Can someone help?

Equestria Daily only takes the best fics (unless it involves Twilight Sparkle [fucking bias, I tell you]). What's it about? If it's something that doesn't disgust me I'll read it and try to offer some constructive criticism. Be aware, though, that unless it's really good I'm probably going to be a scathing asshole about it.
I'd recommend posting it on FiMFiction. Not exactly a wealth of amazing literature, but they'll help you get known, assuming the story's not crap.

Dac the non-bender wrote:

Your fucking adorable and I know it.

My fucking adorable is what?

Regarding ships, I don't much care for them in general because I'm dead inside.

I think most of us know I like this one, though, because I'm unoriginal (in addition to being dead inside).

Last edited Jul 23, 2012 at 12:53PM EDT

Bruno the Rustler wrote:

I want to publicate a fanfic. Where and how I can do that. Also, maybe I submit my fanfic to Equestra Daily. Can someone help?

I'd try it on FimFiction, but you know…that's if you want to. Fluttershy voice

@cite
"my Fucking adorable is what?"
I knew you would do that. Fuck it, you're ugly and no longer adorable, you goddamn grammar nazi. A plague upon your house and a curse upon your children is what you have earned yourself.
You are dead to me…
@shipping

Psssh, I only ship the bestest show on tv, gravity falls. Yeah! Like Dipper x Mabel! Wait… eww twincest.
How about dipper x Wendy? Still weird. Lazy Susan x gruncle Stan? Eh, ok but they are old. Soos x Mabel?

You win this round mlp…

Seriously though, I don't ship but I don't mind most ships. There is only one I hate, carlmac. I hate Carmel, I think its the hair, plus he looks like a bitch. Big Mac wouldn't waste his time on a bitch like him. Besides that, ship away….
The only cartoon where I ship is korra. Besides that, I don't care.

@Shipping: Oh boy, shipping. And all the ship-to-ship combat that comes with it. Personally I don't exactly ship often, but yes comedic shipping is funny to me.

Mostly I don't ship because ship-to-ship combat is something I want to avoid. It seems… pointless, even more so than usual.

So yeah, whatever ships happen, happen. They'll set sail and I'll just… well, not really be affected by them.

Dac wrote:

@cite
"my Fucking adorable is what?"
I knew you would do that. Fuck it, you're ugly and no longer adorable, you goddamn grammar nazi. A plague upon your house and a curse upon your children is what you have earned yourself.
You are dead to me…
@shipping

Psssh, I only ship the bestest show on tv, gravity falls. Yeah! Like Dipper x Mabel! Wait… eww twincest.
How about dipper x Wendy? Still weird. Lazy Susan x gruncle Stan? Eh, ok but they are old. Soos x Mabel?

You win this round mlp…

Seriously though, I don't ship but I don't mind most ships. There is only one I hate, carlmac. I hate Carmel, I think its the hair, plus he looks like a bitch. Big Mac wouldn't waste his time on a bitch like him. Besides that, ship away….
The only cartoon where I ship is korra. Besides that, I don't care.

i ship ashe with katarina
im also writing a fanfic with ashe with katarina

Last edited Jul 23, 2012 at 02:52PM EDT

Twins the Serendipitous Serval wrote:

I've always found French to be incredibly sexy, and that French Flutterguy… swoons

I don't play TF2, but this is genius.

@above
Twincest?

and meagsweet is making it

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!