232,906 total conversations in 7,789 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VI: Return of the Poni

Last posted Apr 19, 2013 at 12:20AM EDT. Added Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT
10166 posts from 235 users

@BSoD, phoenix, & Bruno
Thanks!
Vectoring is actually pretty fun so you can expect more.
As for your 'request,' BSoD… let's just stick to traces for now…
I don't want to get too crazy this early.

@Beach Ponies

Most of the outfits on the show are very contextual and a major part of 'setting the scene.'
(Cowboy hats in Appaloosa, suits and dresses in Canterlot, etc.)
For that reason alone, I think some kinds of bathing suits at the beach would be reasonable.
Obviously, nothing saucy, but I could see something like this (Rarity is probably cutting it a bit close):

Plus, as pointed out by others, the show has made references to 'covering up' in Fluttershy's bed scene and Dash's Parasprite bikini, so swimsuits would allow for another dip into that comedy well.

Last edited Sep 09, 2012 at 11:09PM EDT

@deadparrot
wut nigga you totally cribbed dat idea from me! How did you get so good anyway? What did you exactly do? How long did that take? You cribbed from both me and the show? Have you no shame? Can I try?

@poni beach

@topless fluttershy at beach
This appears to be some sort of theme.

@Twins
MWAHAHAHA!!!
You know not what evil your ideas have released in me!
Look what you've started!

*ahem
Anyway, that Scoots took probably eight hours in total over two days, but a lot of that was me trying to figure out the tools and watching tutorials.
Now that I know what I'm doing, it would probably be a three or four hour job.
Look up 'Pony Vectoring Tutorial in Inkscape' on Youtube for some very good references.

@Verbose
Well, I just re-watched Ponyville Confidential few days ago to grab some vector references, but before that, I hadn't seen an episode since whenever the last KYM livestream was.
Quite a while.

Last edited Sep 10, 2012 at 04:13AM EDT

@Verbose

Last time I watched some official episodes was the last time we had a Synctube

When was that? 3-4 weeks ago?

Also are we talking about official video's only or do fan-made video's count too? About 5 days ago I was spying some fan-made skits on Youtube

@Verbose

Some time within the last few days, can't remember exactly when though. Let's see, I believe it was Dragonshy. I find it's relaxing to re-watch them from time to time.

So we're talking about vectors eh? Well, I too made a vector! And since we're talking about beach attire, it's even more appropriate. In fact, it's so hot and saucy, I'd better spoiler this bad boy.

Try if you can to contain your hormones.

Last edited Sep 10, 2012 at 08:13AM EDT

@Dan:

@Verbose:

Funny you should mention that. I was deleting some old torrents just today and stumbled on a Canterlot Wedding Pt.1 so I watched it before deleting it.

DeadParrot222 wrote:

@Dan
Whoa, man, you better not let RandomMan see that!
You know what he'll do!

>mfw

@Fluttershy covering herself up in that one episode.

Last edited Sep 10, 2012 at 10:40AM EDT

@Bruno: Wait, ponies wear undergarments?
How come I was not informed of this?
jesus christ people not telling me anything

@X: Ehhhh it's not like they use the Internet for much nowadays.
Or that I hate ponies.
That'd be terribly inconvenient, now wouldn't it?

@Connor: THE BIG BRAIN AM WINNING AGAIN

@Exudes: Oh lord…

@Verbs: About one or two weeks ago when a few friends streamed it for no particular reason. I think I had to tune out because curfew around Let The Best Pet Win.

Also no more pictures this post. I'll cram some extra ponies into next post to make up for it.

@Random: Yeah, that's not weird at all…

@Beach: There's really no need for any swimsuits, in my opinion. As was said earlier, adding undergarments to ponies has the uncanny ability to instantly turn it into softcore. I would bet they know that, and that's why I don't think they will have any. BUT give Rarity a ridiculous floppy hat to lose or something to set up a plot, and Pinkie could get her scuba gear back.

Last edited Sep 10, 2012 at 05:06PM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

People, I'm scared.

You're scared? Good! Fear keeps a rabbit alive when there are enemies about, and you have many enemies young warrior. Those who wouldst stop the noble justice you bring with thine righteous hammer shall look for any excuse to bring you low, they search for any crack they might find in your defenses. Do not give it to them!

Now I ask you, which should you cherish more, your banhammer or your friends? HA! Tis a trick question, your banhammer IS your friend and your ONLY friend! Love her well!

@20% cooler below

So. Much. Awesome.

Also, Rainbow Kamehameha, HOW HAS NO ONE THOUGHT OF THIS BEFORE!?! (inb4 Deadparrot produces picture of Rainbow Kamehameha)

Last edited Sep 10, 2012 at 06:21PM EDT

@BSOD
Well that was beyond epic.

@lack of anyone drawing ponies
You know what this calls for! That's right, more horrible art by Twins!

Development sketch cuz why not

Now coloured and circlized for maximum kramaz show accuracy

I probably royally screwed up the filly to stallion proportions and BSOD OC's sitting posture, but meh. If only Muumi were here to see me now.

I SWEAR TO GOD BSOD I SPENT LIKE AN HOUR DOING THIS YOU BETTER MAKE THIS YOUR AVATAR OR I WILL HURT YOU

Last edited Sep 11, 2012 at 02:58AM EDT

Oh, have I got a treat to share with everyone today.
We all know that DHX is one of the major studios behind MLP.
Well, they also help to create another show for the Hub: Pound Puppies.
Their most recent episode has… let's just say, a distinct hint of pony to it.
Here's a screen shot:

Even if you've never seen the show before, any pony fan should watch this.

NO DOGS ALLOWED
DHX really loves us, guys!
(Everything is made funnier when you know that the daughter is Tara Strong, too!)

Edit:
Almost forgot to whore for attention!
Posted my second vector today: LINK
Check it out!

Last edited Sep 11, 2012 at 03:19AM EDT

You're lucky Twins, BSoD is up at 1 AM to change his avatar, which must mean he is drunk as shit which must mean he's gonna wake up tomorrow and wonder why his avatar is a crayon version of his OC Pony.

Twins wrote:

If only Muumi were here to see me now.

Okay, admit it! You're doing that on purpose!

You call out the wolves, you better be able to run with 'em.

And now in order to viciously tear you apart with critique, I'll say you this:

"You dun goofed with BSoD's character."

But to be serious, if I look at Sweetie Belle, and consider the way you drew her as a stylistic choise, I can say that she actually looks really adorable.

I seriously don't know why though, but I just like it.

The reason I love this fandom is because the community is beyond amazing.
I mean I can find a ponified crossover of ANY of my hobbies or interests.
My current interest is Borderlands, and searching "MLP Claptrap" totally made my day:

What is some of KYM's favorite crossovers?

Last edited Sep 11, 2012 at 01:16PM EDT

@Omni
Way too many awesome crossovers to possibly name them all, but two that jump to mind quickly:
1). Doctor Who --> Doctor Whooves
I knew next to nothing about Doctor Who before I got into ponies, but seeing all these weird pony references to it made me want to check it out.
Now it's one of my favorite shows.
The highly variable world of Doctor Who combining with MLP opens up quite a lot of interesting potential that authors and artists have really played with a lot.

2). Dan Vs.
Another show that I knew nothing about before ponies (though it is very new itself).
Oddly enough, it was the Hub's own crossover commercial that got me interested:

Gave it a shot and loved it.

Obviously, the crossover with MLP has been carried on and largely popularized my mixermike's awesome animations, too.

Last edited Sep 11, 2012 at 01:43PM EDT

More cool stuff that no one seems to be talking about, this time in plushie news!
As most people know, Hasbro finally jumped on the plush train and came out with their own mass-produced (and thus affordable) ponies a few months back, releasing 10" Rainbow Dashes, Pinkie Pies, and Twilight Sparkles.
Well, the recently announced both that those ponies would soon be available in larger sizes (20") and that Fluttershy would be jumping into the mix!
As a treat, someone took a picture of the office of the person overseeing the plushie creation:

There you can get a sense of the scale and quality as well as seeing how the as-of-yet-unreleased Fluttershy is looking.
As added bonuses, that looks like an exceptionally large Applejack on the floor at the back which suggests that more ponies in more sizes are on the way as well, plus, take a look at the shelf at the back.
Yeah, that sure looks like a Vinyl Scratch plush sitting there!
And remember, these are official Harbro pieces so they should be widely available and relatively cheap!
Cool stuff on the horizon!

@Twilitlord, below
I'm pretty sure glow-in-the-dark Zecora was always intended to be a limited edition special.
A bit more common than Comic Con Derpy, but certainly not in full production.

Last edited Sep 11, 2012 at 05:01PM EDT

>Widely available

That's what they said about glow-in-the-dark Zecora.

I would like a Vinyl plush, though. And a Dashie plush. And a Fluttershy… OH SCREW IT, COLLECT ALL THE PLUSHES

Twilitlord wrote:

>Widely available

I would like a Vinyl plush, though. And a Dashie plush. And a Fluttershy… OH SCREW IT, COLLECT ALL THE PLUSHES

I want a chibi chrysalis plush so bad.
Then I would attach a clip to it and wear it as a hat.

mfw chibi plush is my hat:

Twilitlord wrote:

>Widely available

There's a reason they made Zecora glow in the dark, as we wouldn't be able to see her otherwise.

Last edited Sep 11, 2012 at 09:19PM EDT

Vikingbolt wrote:

lol, oh man…

I wish i thought of telling that black guy that I was just stupid and not racist before he stabbed me in the belly, stole my wallet and ran off with my white woman.

"":!http://lachlantemplar.deviantart.com/art/Blazing-Saddles-269253457

Last edited Sep 12, 2012 at 12:55AM EDT

burning_phoneix wrote:

You're lucky Twins, BSoD is up at 1 AM to change his avatar, which must mean he is drunk as shit which must mean he's gonna wake up tomorrow and wonder why his avatar is a crayon version of his OC Pony.

Oh man, I have the worst hangover. You wouldn't believe what I got up to last night. Actually don't ask because I don't know. I don't remember a thing…hey…

…what happened to my avatar? Oh my Duke Nukem what DID I get up to last night!?

….

I'm totally joking here. I only ever get drunk on weekends and never enough to trash myself (I'm not really an alcoholic). I just like seeing other people draw my OC. I think the last person to do that was Bob

I liked it so much I vectored it. Twins style

Muumi wrote:

Twins wrote:

If only Muumi were here to see me now.

Okay, admit it! You're doing that on purpose!

You call out the wolves, you better be able to run with 'em.

And now in order to viciously tear you apart with critique, I'll say you this:

"You dun goofed with BSoD's character."

But to be serious, if I look at Sweetie Belle, and consider the way you drew her as a stylistic choise, I can say that she actually looks really adorable.

I seriously don't know why though, but I just like it.

Wait wha, I have a style? I thought I was just copying reference poses and then changing up the facial expressions a bit. Maybe using half of a perfectly good eraser to draw two ponis didn't go to waste then, if such an artistic savant as Muumi congratulates me, even if condescendingly. She kind of reminds me of Mabel from Gravity Falls kinda actually.

And now time to draw a pony avatar for everyone on KYM, and you will all use it. All shall cower before my indubitable (lack of) artistic talent! Kowtow, peasants!

On second thought, give me a rain check on that.

Well I feel really self-centred right now. Let's see, discussion topic.

Ah yes. The poni plushes.

Do I not see Rarity there? Because I think I do not see Rarity there. The manes look sort of terrible, though, so I can understand why she wouldn't want to join such an uncouth occasion.

@BSOD above me
Well there goes my pride in my art. You cleaned it up, fixed the hind legs, and did everything better that I did. Seriously, I try, but you all are so much better than I (hey it rhymes). Apparently drawing is just a matter of practice, at least according to Ivan, so woe is me for actually having a life >:(((((((((

How long did that take btw? Ivan can do it in 30 minutes, deadparrot in 4 hours, so let's see where you fall on that continuum.

Last edited Sep 12, 2012 at 12:57AM EDT

@Twins

Actually for the most part; I kept my vectors positioned securely on your pencil lines. I adjusted the hind legs and nose of my OC but that's about it. Please interpret my corrections as a guide on how to improve, not a way of pointing out your flaws. I'm not that mean.

Sweetie Belle was all you BTW. I made no corrections.

If there's any deviation anywhere else, it's where I stupidly followed the wrong pencil stroke

As for time, well it took me about a hour because I'm horribly slow. Ivan could have done it in 15 seconds. Also I wasted time trying to replicate Deadparrots eye technique. In the end I gave up, used a shortcut and then asked him how the hell he did it (BTW DP, thank you for telling me). I skipped shading and gradients just to make up for the lost time.

@Poni plushes

Sorry but I am somewhat creeped out by the manes on those plushes. They all look like they are balding

Last edited Sep 12, 2012 at 01:50AM EDT

Yeah, the manes are off. Like, more than the "one style mane" toys off. they need to be a LOT fuller.

Oh, by the way, I was going to draw tonight while I was doing laundry, but I knew everyone down there (not anyone I would have been uneasy having poni references up and drawing ponu around, I'm pretty open) and ended up talking the whole time. I will try to do it tomorrow, taking (modest) requests.

Last edited Sep 12, 2012 at 02:04AM EDT

Twins wrote:

And now time to draw a pony avatar for everyone on KYM, and you will all use it. All shall cower before my indubitable (lack of) artistic talent! Kowtow, peasants!

On second thought, give me a rain check on that.

Dang, I really wanted to see how that would turn out…

@Plushies

Yep, I still have yet to see an official plushie that held a candle to almost any custom job.

Last edited Sep 12, 2012 at 02:27AM EDT

@All you artist people
How the hell are you guys so damn fast?!
As a test of my new-found abilities, I decided to give myself a speed challenge tonight.
Almost exactly two hours from start to finish (10:30 – 12:35):

I mean, I like what I made, but I must be missing some shortcuts or something because I take much longer that everyone else is claiming to take on vectoring.
Any tips, guys?

Last edited Sep 12, 2012 at 03:46AM EDT

If you're concerned at all about quality, then I wouldn't sweat it too much. Your vectors are close to perfect already, and there are plenty of lazy vector artists out there who make somewhat substandard vectors in maybe an hour or so. I will say this, though; for me, I discovered that mastery of the "Draw freehand lines" (pencil thingy) can actually speed things up just a hair if you can tweak the Smoothing option just right. Of course if you don't get the hang of it, it'll actually just waste time.

And, uh, pony.

Um.

Want a Lyra?

To date, she's the only outright trace of a pony I've made. The others I've done are all original poses and OCs, and MAN do those take a long time if you want them to be show-accurate. One or two hours is nuthin'. It took me days to get that crazy zebra OC looking the way I wanted.

Last edited Sep 12, 2012 at 05:40AM EDT

@Deadparrot:

Hell, it's show accurate enough. 2 hours is good.

Oh btw,

Meanwhile, in Russia:

When you see it.

(Apologies if this has been posted before)

Last edited Sep 12, 2012 at 06:42AM EDT

@Deadparrot

How the hell are you guys so damn fast?!

Well obviously in my case its because I cut all the corners. I just traced lines around the sketch and filled it with color. No outlines as objects, no gradients, no overlays, no layers and I worked with a small object (640×480 res). You get things done real damn fast that way (at cost of quality). Had I not fiddled with eye techniques, that latest vector would have been a 15 minute job.

Frankly, I find ponies easier to vector than anything else because you don't really need to bother with fine details like shadowing, highlighting, texture and effects. All of which often requires me to export my vector over to GIMP. Plus their shape is so simple

Last edited Sep 12, 2012 at 08:02AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!