Forums / Discussion / General

233,020 total conversations in 7,791 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VI: Return of the Poni

Last posted Apr 19, 2013 at 12:20AM EDT. Added Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT
10166 posts from 235 users

What am I doing.

EDIT: Congratulations ZeroBlue. You ruined the streak of the one image spam I actively was participating in. Have you no respect for the history of KYM Pony General.

Last edited Nov 29, 2012 at 12:59AM EST

♪ Celestia is so white and soft, it's like I'm talking to a cheesecake!♪

"Day 302 of my exile, I have arranged the rocks in my camp to form a transmutation circle. Soon I will turn this prison into a paradise….."

…Well excuse me if I seem like a combo breaker. But usually, in fighting games; I'm on the receiving end of the Combo.

That's why I always pick the fastest fighters there are and tap buttons wildly. So I have a minor chance of getting my opponent to cut the combos out.

Pretty much, chaos is my only redeeming quality… when it comes to skill. And since the only visual metaphor I can remember for that is Vinyl Records…

This calls for more Vinyl Scratch.

But that's getting old for some of you. Time for Revolvers as Metaphor.

…Close enough.

@DeadParrot
This version actually makes it easier to hear the difference between "Babs" and "Bad".

In fact… It's clearer all round.

It's got my stamp of approval in this chaotic brain of mine.

I should really Change my avatar to Vinyl Scratch or something. I mean, I love having made a symbol years ago that resonates with me, but seriously, in recent times, I've been using Vinyl Scratch images a lot more often than lightning images.

Who was that one guy that was tricked into thinking his "girlfriend" died, only to find out his "girlfriend" was a troll. I remeber hearing it from someone in the pony thread because he was a brony I think.

@DeadParrot

Dat song…
I thought I had managed to get it out of my head, but now it's back! Why are these songs so catchy??? Oh well, I'm not complaining! Hm, I think I'm going to have to watch that episode again when I get home today. Just to prepare for the new episode on Saturday!

Just rewatched "One Bad Apple" and I am still amazed by the number of details that got crammed into this episode. I think the pacing of this episode has also been the best in Season 3 so far, there is no part that feels too short or sloppy. Some might say that the CMC ritual in the end is a bit too long, but then the VAs couldn't have so much fun with misspronouncing the list – For example: "compa durs" and later SB gets it and says "compadres" even with the right accent…

AB is best beachball and has a blob of gak suncream on the nose

Ceilingscoot is looking at continuity

DAT SABS and some great shading, they are using far more shadows now then in the previous seasons, but they do have a great effect.

"We need to talk to Applejack… NO! …hm Rarity… Twilight ?"
As if SB knows that Twilight is sometimes not the most rational pony.

The wheel has a turning knob just like a tractor. Such an unexpected detail!

Do you see the fourth pony from the left, looks a bit like Mandopony's OC to me…

There goes the CMC badge with fitting sound effect…

I don't really like the season 1 CMC episodes, as they focus too much on cutiemarkfinding, but now they are absolutly enjoyable. It's also quite strange, but I think that the CMCs have gained more interesting personalities than the mane 6. The CMCs are just less extreme and feel a bit more hm natural.

Yeah I have broken the 3 picture limit, but I hope that you didn't mind too much…

Last edited Nov 29, 2012 at 10:52AM EST

I was reading a discussion in Reddit and saw this:

"…the term "One bad apple" is followed by the phrase "ruins the whole bunch."
Which is what happened in the episode. Babs (the one bad apple) "ruins the whole bunch" (spoils the rest of the apples, as in AB and the CMC, by making them become bullies)."

Wow!
And every filly likes milkshakes!

Last edited Nov 29, 2012 at 11:28AM EST

Verbose wrote:

What am I doing.

EDIT: Congratulations ZeroBlue. You ruined the streak of the one image spam I actively was participating in. Have you no respect for the history of KYM Pony General.

Yeah, what's going on here Verbose? You've gone from one of the biggest tl;dr users this forum and thread had ever seen, to a one-image spammer. You've lowered yourself to the likes of Vazquez, Connor and, *ahum, burning_phoneix. Even Fifths makes bigger posts than you now. How low can you drop?

Oh wow. <a href = "http://derpibooru.org/lists/top_scoring"> Check out the "Top Scoring" list in the Derpibooru gallery.

Five out of the six top images upvoted in the website are ponies with milkshake pics.

Blue Yoshi wrote:

Oh wow. <a href = "http://derpibooru.org/lists/top_scoring"> Check out the "Top Scoring" list in the Derpibooru gallery.

Five out of the six top images upvoted in the website are ponies with milkshake pics.

And the seventh is an accurate representation of everyone's faces when looking at the first six:

@Commodore
Aw, I was just about to post that.
But yes, it's always nice to see characters return.
World-building and all that jazz.
Maybe we'll get to see how the Manehattan branch of the CMC tries to get their marks!

<div class=spoiler title="Spoiler/Speculation">We do know that AJ's upcoming episode is all about arranging a family get-together, so perhaps Babs will be back for that!

Blue Yoshi wrote:

And not surprisingly, number 2 is still a caramel dancen Fluttershy.

I find That dance ridiculous, but also ridiculously cute.

This fandom is full of Daww isn't it?

Not that I'm very good at picking out which one's are the cutest, remixed brain and all. And Google has a very loose definition of cute.

But here's at an attempt at finding cute anyways.

Why does everything lead back to cake? I rarely even eat cake!

"The cake is a lie!"

"I baked you this Cake!"

"I'm eating this Cake!"

"You want this Cake?!"

And now we've got spammed images of characters eating cake!

Seriously, no more cake today, you'll give yourself an upset stomach!

Last edited Nov 29, 2012 at 04:42PM EST

Commodore 64 wrote:

@Cake

Well, if they don't have bread, then why not let them eat cake?

Upset stomach? Never!

Pinkie is the only exception I'll make to this getting a stomach ache business. She's a freaking reality warper for goodness sakes.

Every other pony needs to take it easy or their stomach will rupture.

Now… Am I the only one here that thinks that Pegasi and Earth Ponies can probably use Hadouken if they put their mind to it?

Offically, word of Lauren Faust is that all kinds of Ponies posses magic, but only Unicorns can use controlled magic. Or perhaps a better term is "Tempered" magic

Now if one interprets that a certain way, then it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that a determined Pegasi could focus their elemental energy into a blast of "Raw", uncontrolled magic, as opposed to "Tempered" or "Controlled" magic.

…And considering at least one Pegasi we know of is able to use magical rainbow explosions through a similar method, which to me feels reminiscent of at least the idea of Ki powers… I'd say that Rainbow Dash is a prime candidate for using Hadouken.

I'm being serious guys, this is actually quite plausible.

@Lone: Well, I'll say how I still disagree with the Pony MBTI chart. I'm an INTP, and I've known since before I saw that, and there is no way that Twilight Sparkle is an INTP. She's way too organized and inflexible to be one. INTPs are usually laid back and can adapt to situations. Twilight honestly can't. I feel like Celestia is more the INTP and Twilight the INTJ.

Twilitlord wrote:

@Lone: Well, I'll say how I still disagree with the Pony MBTI chart. I'm an INTP, and I've known since before I saw that, and there is no way that Twilight Sparkle is an INTP. She's way too organized and inflexible to be one. INTPs are usually laid back and can adapt to situations. Twilight honestly can't. I feel like Celestia is more the INTP and Twilight the INTJ.

I know, but that was the only Pony MBTI chart I can find.
I haven't seen any others at all.

@ZeroBlue

I respectfully find that concept unfounded.

The magic that Earth Ponies have is related to the earth (e.g., animals, agriculture.) They have a magical connection to the earth and its creatures that Pegasi and Unicorns don't have. That's why Fluttershy (along with her tie to Posey) was originally supposed to be/was built from the concept of an Earth Pony.

Pegasi can fly and physically manipulate clouds (and by proxy the weather.) This is something that only magicked Unicorns and Earth Ponies can do.

Both of those are forms of magic that they don't manipulate or do on command. They don't turn it on or off like Unicorns. They just do it. It's uncontrolled.

Now if you're going with the "tempered" or "controlled" magic route, then any sort of ki blast is controlled, by definition. Using hooves to generate and focus energy is controlling and concentrating that magic/energy, which is the opposite of being unable to control of temper it.

It goes entirely against the race of the pony in regards to magic (unless your focus is a unicorn.)

You also bring up the concept of "elemental" energy.

1. No pony has elemental energy, and if they did, then it would probably be a Unicorn or Alicorn that could better manipulate a certain "element" than other unicorns.
  2. If you're talking about the Elements of Harmony, note that each Element is useless without the others. In fact, 5 of the 6 are useless beyond making a light show (as shown in Return of Harmony, Part 2.)

So for any of the Mane Six to produce focused ki from their Element is hard to believe.

Finally, the Sonic Rainboom is simply a sonic boom. The energy from the boom is strictly kinetic. The "boom" (if I'm getting my physics right) is simply the object moving at such a speed that the air particles begin to accumulate around the speeding object and then reach a concentration at which the barrier it creates (sound barrier) breaks with a loud boom, which is the "sonic boom."

The fact that a rainbow comes from it is either explained by:

1. Rainbow Dash always creates a rainbow-colored blur when she moves quickly. That's probably something akin to an afterimage or a simply illusion. Eyes cannot keep up with something moving higher than certain speeds (for example, baseball players cannot track a baseball perfectly. The actual tracking of the ball is only done at certain points in its flight from the pitcher's mound to the catcher's mitt.)
  2. It's a show that's meant to be colorful, and a sonic boom isn't as interesting or cool as a sonic boom with rainbows.

So not to make it too harsh, I'm fairly confident that it's not plausible at all.

It's…something you'd have to use a lot of headcanon and fanon (and probably fabrication) to explain. There's little in canon to support it.

So I bet most people have already seen EQD's post about "Pinkie Pie and the Rockin' Ponypalooza Party!" If you haven't the synopsis is:

Pinkie Pie has always been a bit different from her very serious family. When she plans a Ponyville "rock" concert to support the family business, Pinkie's family doesn't like the idea. They just want her to be serious, for once. This is a real problem!"

Personally, I am kinda disappointed that this idea is in the "Brown Books for Young Readers" series which is oriented for a much younger audience than the comic series (to be fair we have yet to see their actual work on pony stuff, so it may still be good). I think that this could make for a good episode or IDW Comic, and I would personally like to see a potentially very interesting relationship like this in a somewhat more adult standpoint than an early reader book. Still, it sounds interesting

Opinions?

Edit: Sorry. I didn't know how to work the spoiler tags properly, and didn't feel that a synopsis of this nature need it. Changed now. Also, keep noticing spelling/grammatical errors…

Last edited Nov 29, 2012 at 08:03PM EST

@Pony MBTI

I'm guessing Zecora is supposed to be Judging instead of Perceiving in that one chart. In which case, my results matched close to her, but I ran into several problems in which I was very hesitant in my answers, and the only result I got from the test that had a difference higher than 11% was Perceiving vs Judging, which was only 40%.

On another note, those charts are rather cOLD. The other hasn't changed what was on his pLATE. We might have to get to making a new one before the next pAGE.

Well, since we are talking about Pony MBTI charts right now, should we create our own or not?
Some of the ponies' MBTIs make sense, but they need some changes, maybe mostly minor.

(inb4 someone proclaims that I said that just to keep RD)

@Verbose

Yeah, spoilers ahoy, short one though

An unknown Pegasus is seen with a lightning shaped trail, despite going in a straight line.

Now aside from that, theoretically, a natural affinity with clouds and other whether activity counts as "Elemental" magic in a sense. Specifically Air elemental. Which often subdivides into electricity. It's hard to conceptuallise Akins of magic that does the same effect in a primal state without the idea that air magic is in their blood.

As for control, I'm kinda trying to define it as whether they can control the form it takes. For example, a unicorn that gains their powers from the stars could change that star energy into any number of forms, such as fire, water, earth… Etc.

Meanwhile, a Pegasus, which as a race are attuned to the sky, will only be able to wield the same air based magic that lets them move clouds. However, through focus, rather than trying to change their lightning energy to something else, they simply focus it into a beam. Or ball.

Now I don't want to say I'm right… That would be presumptuous if canon. I just want it to sound plausible.

I mean, in other shows, human Ninjas, who have barely any magic in their blood can still use incredibly basic supernatural tricks. As can Monks blast a hole in a mountain through purely moving energy around their own body.

But we're supposed to assume that in this show, a Pegasus can't do the same despite a magical heritage that is much, much stronger?

Personally, it doesn't jel with me to say its impossible, However, I do admit that it would probably require much…much more effort to master than a unicorn would take to do a similar effect.

It's never going to show up in the show as far as I know, but this is the kind of theory that I think is quite workable in a fan-fiction without having to add an AU tag.

Edit: As for the whole Headcanon and Fanon thing… I thought that was obvious. Everything I said is either based off of my conceptualisation of magic needing to be a kind of energy (Specifically several kinds of energy like Air, Earth, Fire, Water, Light, Dark, Arcane, Divine.), or my specific interpretation of canon statements. So essentially, I'm saying all this because my show's head-canon allows it.

… What I'm really trying to ask… Is why doesn't anyone else have the same head-canon? Or at least thought of the idea.

The closest I've come, is one person's theory that hooves, being made of keratin like horns are, could theoretically make conductors of magic like Horns can.

Last edited Nov 29, 2012 at 09:00PM EST

@Verbose

I just found a different way of thinking about it.

Think of Pegasus/Earth pony magic as like a heartbeat. Constantyly beating, but you rarely think to control it. Because you can't turn it off.

However, those with focus and skill at meditation can learn to change the rate that their heart beats… And make it go faster or slower with a little mental effort.

So if a human can control to a minor extent an "involuntary" process like their heart beat, then a Pegasus should be able to do the same with their magic.

So yeah, I restate that if we ever see Pegusus Monks, they will probably be able to Hadouken.

@Windigo

Yeah well… The difference between Monk-like lightning blasts and pegasi using their weather powers to make a cloud do it for them is… one cloud. Which is kinda awkward to keep handy.

I mean, sure, if you're a pegasus, you could keep one in a convieniantly styled mane for an emergancy. But really, at that point, the other ponies are going to give you looks for not finding an alternative…

Like trying to channel and store lightning inside your body, instead of in a cloud inside a hairstyle that looks simply… dreadfull… and kinda like…

That is your hair after days with a cloud inside it.

As for storing it in a bag or something…. Don't get your hopes up. If a Earth pony can't keep a hold of them, I don't think any kind of mundane bag is going to work. At least without… complications.

Edit: Also, this topic is just another facet of the multi teir question of the lack of symetry, or even competitive Asymetry; between the three pony-kinds.

Unicorns can do just about anything they want if they put their mind to it. Earth Ponies can do jack all without a unicorn… other than plant stuff. and Pegasus are between the two. Serriously, a little bit of a workaround to that problem would go a long way.

…Studious focus to unleash a single energy type assosiated with their magic bloodline would alleviate the problem somewhat. At least far enough that a pony such as Applejack wouldn't be bucked if she had to go against a unicorn master of magic alone.

(P.S. Pegasus are still my favorite, even though I'm pretty much admitting they are a worse practical choice than Unicorn.)

Edit:2 I'm not done ranting! How can we call earth ponies simply being "Stronger" (in theory) equally good when unicorn magic can trun them to stone, freeze them, and who knows what else, and Pegasi can stay high in the sky and just pelt lightning bolts from a cloud?

EXPLAIN TO ME! Magic can destroy a wall just as easily! Lift things, just as easily, and a whole bundle of other stuff!

Applejack is compareable to the freaking Element of Heart from captain planet here! The fact she still be useful speaks more of her personal skill than it does of her being an Earth Pony!

Are we just going to ALLOW the setting get away with it because apparently ALL EARTH PONIES ARE BATMAN?!

Just when do the earth ponies get to do great and powerful stuff like CREATE FREAKING EARTHQUAKES?!

TELL ME?!

…Give me a minuite… I think I'm over heating…

Last edited Nov 29, 2012 at 11:50PM EST

@ MBTI

If you guys are going to make a new chart, this is what I have for the main six (I posted this a while ago)

TS = INTJ

PP = ENFP

AJ = ENFJ

R = ESFJ

RD = ESTP

FS = INFJ

I did very little research on this so if you feel that any of them need to be changed please say so.

@disturbed

To me, they look accurate enough, but experts may tell otherwise. And I haven't done any research on the MBTI's, so I don't really know much.

Anyways, you guys should take the MBTI tests, just cause (I don't have a really good reason for that, I just thought it is somewhat fun to do with free time).

I should start to research on the MBTI…

@Verbose
Come back, please?

Disty wrote:

@ MBTI

If you guys are going to make a new chart, this is what I have for the main six (I posted this a while ago)

TS = INTJ

PP = ENFP

AJ = ENFJ

R = ESFJ

RD = ESTP

FS = INFJ

I did very little research on this so if you feel that any of them need to be changed please say so.

RD isn't so much a more… Thinky one.

T kinda means they look at things in a detached, reasonable way. F means they empathise with it.

I've rarely seen RD be reasonable, and she's always working with her heart in the matter. So she's probably an F.

I mean… I've seen her more often going all emotional. There was Mare do well, Sonic Rainboom… Both times, she was working herself up in a non rational, and emotional fashion; with a lot of emphasis placed on how they would laugh at her or something.

So yeah.

Also, I'm kinda on the fence about her being considered S. They are Fact orriented, while N is more working off of instinct. And most of the time, we've seen RD going on instinct alone.

Also Pinkie Pie, although not quite good at it, seems to show a mild preference for finding out objective facts first. As show in party of One where she attempts to find proof of whatever is going on. It just turns out she kinda forced the wrong conclusion as a confession out of Spike.

So yeah, I'd put RD as ENFP and PP as ESFP.

(P.S. I myself am INFP, so… yeah, I think I should know how Dash opperates. )

Last edited Nov 30, 2012 at 12:08AM EST

Luna Protege wrote:

RD isn't so much a more… Thinky one.

T kinda means they look at things in a detached, reasonable way. F means they empathise with it.

I've rarely seen RD be reasonable, and she's always working with her heart in the matter. So she's probably an F.

I mean… I've seen her more often going all emotional. There was Mare do well, Sonic Rainboom… Both times, she was working herself up in a non rational, and emotional fashion; with a lot of emphasis placed on how they would laugh at her or something.

So yeah.

Also, I'm kinda on the fence about her being considered S. They are Fact orriented, while N is more working off of instinct. And most of the time, we've seen RD going on instinct alone.

Also Pinkie Pie, although not quite good at it, seems to show a mild preference for finding out objective facts first. As show in party of One where she attempts to find proof of whatever is going on. It just turns out she kinda forced the wrong conclusion as a confession out of Spike.

So yeah, I'd put RD as ENFP and PP as ESFP.

(P.S. I myself am INFP, so… yeah, I think I should know how Dash opperates. )

If Dashie is the ENFP and Pinkie Pie is ESFP, then who would be put in for the ESTP?
And if so, is this chart I already showed you guys incorrect, or is it fine the way it is?
If correct, then I need reasons to believe and learn that it is to be said.
If incorrect, then there are going to be many changes for the chart here.

And Verbose, you can come back now, there are no more spoilers.
Verbose?

Oh yeah, he was avoiding this thread until Saturday…
riiiiiiiiiiight.

(I think I may have told you guys that I was an INFP, right? Zero, you are not alone here.)

Last edited Nov 30, 2012 at 12:23AM EST

Lone K. (Echoid) wrote:

If Dashie is the ENFP and Pinkie Pie is ESFP, then who would be put in for the ESTP?
And if so, is this chart I already showed you guys incorrect, or is it fine the way it is?
If correct, then I need reasons to believe and learn that it is to be said.
If incorrect, then there are going to be many changes for the chart here.

And Verbose, you can come back now, there are no more spoilers.
Verbose?

Oh yeah, he was avoiding this thread until Saturday…
riiiiiiiiiiight.

(I think I may have told you guys that I was an INFP, right? Zero, you are not alone here.)

I get the feeling that Applebloom is the ESTP… She's social, mostly reasonable (save for the cutie mark thing), loose in planing, and though I'm not sure about the S part, I haven't seen her working on instinct; and has been looking for clues on how to get a cutie mark rather than going with what felt natural.

Oh, and as for the site you linked about relationships, assuming it's the one I'm thinking of, its probably a load of crock. Most other sites tend to say that the best four partners to go with are ussually any of the ones that share the same middle section of your type. But really, any type of partner is equally possible. Just it's often less likely by some standards.

Edit: Of course, I could be wrong. I haven't read it properly yet. It's a bit hard to wrap my head around.

Last edited Nov 30, 2012 at 12:50AM EST

Luna Protege wrote:

I get the feeling that Applebloom is the ESTP… She's social, mostly reasonable (save for the cutie mark thing), loose in planing, and though I'm not sure about the S part, I haven't seen her working on instinct; and has been looking for clues on how to get a cutie mark rather than going with what felt natural.

Oh, and as for the site you linked about relationships, assuming it's the one I'm thinking of, its probably a load of crock. Most other sites tend to say that the best four partners to go with are ussually any of the ones that share the same middle section of your type. But really, any type of partner is equally possible. Just it's often less likely by some standards.

Edit: Of course, I could be wrong. I haven't read it properly yet. It's a bit hard to wrap my head around.

Well, the site I was linking towards was actually this site (if we are talking about the same picture here), except I just used the "View Image" option to separate it from the distracting background. It sounds like it makes sense, but with these change of the MBTI's, I was thinking:

• Should we just swap the MBTI's in the picture with the ones that we've just created (the giant, vertical chart)
  • or should we just push away the whole chart somewhere and put it as an "experimental chart"?
Last edited Nov 30, 2012 at 01:13AM EST

Guys, you know how I said that I didn't mind spoilers too much yesterday, because otherwise I'd have to avoid everything?

…Yeah. I know it's all spoilered up now, but it's all about the videos… which many of us refuse to watch. Seriously, either spoiler up when you actually write your post or just don't throw spoilers left and right (which is preferable, if you need to talk about 'em every day go to EQD or something, they love spoiler videos). I know that they're there, and that it's a good service to link to them, but could we hold off on discussing every single one? As I can count it, a majority of us avoid some form of spoiler.

Probably a bit harsh, and you're welcome to argue against it, but I feel like we need to be more careful with spoiler discussions, even if they are tagged. They're just… so… clickable…

Sorry I'm late with my opinion, I've been out all night.

As for the MBTIs, I dunno. I feel like I'd have to rewatch a lot to really get their personalities down, now that we have 2+ seasons of material and a couple of character-specific episodes to help us learn more about them. Therefore, I really can't say that we can take any action.

Last edited Nov 30, 2012 at 01:38AM EST

@Twilitlord

I paid at least some attention each time I watched each episode, just in case if I ever needed it for use. I can't list each personality clearly, though. It may take too much space and/or will be too hard to understand, so blargh.

:\

Page gets aren't a surprise anymore, huh? The magic died out.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!