Forums / Discussion / General

232,912 total conversations in 7,789 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured
Syrian Conflict

Last posted Aug 30, 2013 at 11:27PM EDT. Added Aug 22, 2012 at 04:56PM EDT
156 posts from 39 users

Still alive,
I'm not yet in saftey, but will be soon (hopefuly), I'll be outside of Syria so I can finally answer some of your questions without fear.
Just letting you know that I'm still alive, will update with news of what's going on in Syria soon.
Wish me luck.

Posts on your wall earlier today

X Ends up coming back afterwards

O_o

Out of Syria? Oh god, good luck with that!

Twins, just saying, but that's probably karma whoring… ._.

Last edited Aug 22, 2012 at 05:45PM EDT

The revolution is still ongoing.
The last month is considered the most bloody since the beginning of the uprising 17 months ago.
The daily death toll throughout the month has fluctuated between 150 and 250 civilians. including women, children and old people.
The numbers of people who left their homes behind is astounding, only yesterday 2500 refugees entered the Turkish borders, while others (like myself) opted to head off to the turbulent-region of Lebanon.

Aleppo, Sign:"Sniper ahead, take no risks, stick to the far right.", that's the city I left behind.

These last 2 months, the battle reached Aleppo and Damascus, Syria's largest city and economical capital, and Syria's Capital and second largest city respectively.
The Syrian Armed Forces (or Syrian Arab Army, the regime affiliated army) after a long campaign of harassment, arrests and field-executions, started outright shelling the outer neighborhoods of Salah Al-Deen.
This action prompted the countryside-stationed Free Syrian Army (a coalition of defected state-soldiers and able-bodied volunteers under a unified decentralized command) to declare General Alert and moved in to protect the civilians under bombardment.
They now control about 70% of my city, and I've met a good number of them personally, beside
having friends that volunteered.

The regime continues to use Artillery, Mortars,Tanks (T-72), Helicopter gunships (Mi-25 Hind,Mi-17 Hip) and Fighter Jets (MiG-23, Albatross L39) to bombard the city's neighborhoods indiscriminately, all the while the ground forces and regime-loyal infantry and snipers continue committing massacres against civilians in the regime controlled parts of the city.
It became a daily routine of check the Al-Zahraa park, which is Aerial Intelligence HQ favored dumping ground for Coal-black charred tortured bound and executed corpses.
In the last week they started targeting bakeries, where a lot of civilians group up to get one of the last remaining commodities in the city: Bread, such and attack left 35 dead in one explosion in Ezaz, nowadays we hear news of new bombed bakeries almost daily.

The situation is equally tragic in the outlaying cities of Damascus,Homs and Daraa.
Baba Amr, Hirak, Bennesh, Tal Ref'aat, Qidam, Tadamon, Bo Kamal and countless other parts all over Syria are being shelled as I type this to you.

Syrian Air Force fighter plane during an airstrike on the village of Tel Ref'at

This daily campaign of Terror is costing the regime One Billion Euros every month.
With heavy sanctions on all Syrian exports, the Syrian regime is trying to find a new buyer for it's unrefined Oil and Gas.
Meanwhile, Russia and China continue to arm the system, both in refined gasoline and in weapons,both heavy and light.
Whereas Iran and Lebanon-based Hezbollah apparently decided to take a more hands-on approach by supplying him with both provisions AND trained fighters and officers for use in mass-murdering the free Syrian people.

As for the Political scene, more and more officers and high ranking officials continue to defect and flee to the neighboring countries.
This list stretched from as high as the The Vice-president of Syria Faroq Al-Shara' , The Prime Minister Riyad Hijab, Generals and Colonels (and even an Astronaut) to the lowest Conscript and PFC.

More soldiers and volunteers are daily joining the FSA to protect their homes.

THE ASSAD REGIME NO LONGER RULES SYRIA, IT OCCUPIES IT.

As for the international response, it's still lukewarm at best, and non-existent at worst.
The UN Emissary Kofi Enan actually quit* his mission, claiming that his mission was "impossible", so he just gave up on stopping the violence, packed his bags and left.
USA, France, Turkey and others are still standing in the sidelines while the Syrian people continue to get massacred and atrocities are committed against them daily.
the only occasion in which the USA agreed to directly intervene is if the Regime uses the forbidden chemical weapons in his arsenal.
And that intervention will only be staged to protect the Israeli people from the devastating effects of such a weapon, in short The life of Syrians is worth nothing

I'm now "safely" in Lebanon.
I say "safely" because apparently the Syrian-conflict has reached all neighboring regions.
There was continuous clashes in various Lebanese regions, Yesterday 11 people died, today the death-toll is still fuzzy but one civilian casualty is confirmed, in the last week FORTY Syrians were abducted by Assad-sponsored Lebanese militia.
In fact the Assad's influence is so strong, the former Lebanese minister of Media Michelle Smaha was busted with explosives in his car, in a ploy to strengthen the sectarian tension in the Lebanon in an effort to divert the attention from the crimes the Syrian regime is committing, many high-ranking officials were targeted by that bomb, but the Opposition forces in Syria tipped off the Lebanese government, which led to the Minister's arrest and his subsequent admission of guilt, needless to say, a lot of people where shocked at just HOW strong the influence of the Assad regime is. He still wields the power to move people as high as MINISTERS in foreign countries to act as his thugs.
The Lebanese state army is deployed in Beirut, I can't walk around for 500 meters before bumping into a M113 APC with heavily armed soldiers around it. The Lebanese state television is broadcasting patriotic songs, it's clear that things are waiting to blow here.
There was also a car-bomb that targeted a police station in Gaziantep in Turkey. So far the Turkish government accuses the Assad Regime for that terrorist attack.
A Syrian Jet went over the Syrian-Iraqi border and flew above Iraqi lands for a long time before it retreated back to Syrian territory (and bombed Bo Kamal).
So yeah… the whole region is ready to blow sky-high…

Well, the Muslim month of Ramadan is over, and the Eid (kinda like Muslim Christmas. it's that important) is almost over, but it didn't stop the people in Free Syria of celebrating.
Here the a FSA soldier gives away Eid sweets to all passing cars:

Here a knocked-out SAF tank is converted to a children's playground for children to play in:

Life WILL go on.
We will return.
And we will rebuild our homeland, strong and FREE for all Syrians.

Last edited Aug 24, 2012 at 04:36PM EDT

Twins the Serendipitous Serval wrote:

Guys I found a pic of X-Singular:

Good luck man. With saving the country I mean.

While he IS quite handsome, that's not the best looking FSA fighter I've seen..
have some of these:

Sleevless and SMOKING!

Smiley and cheerful.

If only he faced the Camera, that's in Salah Aladeen, Aleppo.

He had enough time to put gel on his hair this guy, Excuse me if I'm drooling over the AUG Steyr A2 in his hand… that's the darn SEXIEST RIFLE ON EARTH.
I NOW HAVE A GUN-BONER.

"The daily death toll throughout the month has fluctuated between 150 and 250 civilians. including women, children and old people."

Fucking regimes, man. Fuck 'em.

God dammit, are all Syrians that sexy? I wouldn't be surprised if Jamie Dubs was part Syrian himself.

And wow, just wow. To think such atrocities would go on right now, here in modern society, while we here in Western civilization sit back and do absolutely nothing, and even worse, completely disregard it, is just unbelievable. I'm left utterly speechless.

Last edited Aug 24, 2012 at 04:37PM EDT

X-Singular wrote:

He had enough time to put gel on his hair this guy, Excuse me if I’m drooling over the AUG Steyr A2 in his hand… that’s the darn SEXIEST RIFLE ON EARTH.
I NOW HAVE A GUN-BONER.

HAHAHA! Yes! Have this rifle, courtesy of Uncle Abdullah's Salifist Jihadi weapon warehouse emporium. Take out those heretics while we continue to supply you with weapons!

For anyone that doesn't get it, the AuG Steyr is a strange weapon for a FSA soldier to have since it's not easy to get on the black market and cannot be looted from the government since…they don't have AUG Steyrs.

So the easiest explanation is Saudi Arabia gave it to them. The Steyr A2 is the standard issue rifle of the Saudi National Guard (despite the name, the Saudi National Guard is the elite formation of the Saudi Armed Forces, not reservists like the US National Guard). In addition, Some rebels have been seen with H&K G36 and this is VERY likely to come from Saudi Arabia because for decades the Saudis have had an H&K production plant in Saudi Arabia producing licensed versions of the old H&K G3 rifle. Very recently, we just got the license for the brand new H&K G36C and well…..you see where this is going.

Which kind of bugs me, if we're replacing the thousands of old G3 rifles with G36, why not give the G3 rifles to the rebels? The rifles themselves are incredibly widespread (perhaps second only to the M16 and AK47 series of rifles) and ammo is plentiful and they are difficult to trace back to Saudi Arabia (it was in service in over 50 nations) but I digress.

X-Singular wrote:

I’m now “safely” in Lebanon.
I say “safely” because apparently the Syrian-conflict has reached all neighbouring regions.

To be honest, Lebanon is like a house of cards. Whenever shit goes down anywhere, they start to teeter into a civil war for some reason.

Excuse me if I’m drooling over the AUG Steyr A2 in his hand… that’s the darn SEXIEST RIFLE ON EARTH.
I NOW HAVE A GUN-BONER.

Oh yea Baby! That shit is HOT! (Yes that's an A3 but still…)

The AUG A2 us used by the New Zealand armed forces as well. Such a class choice of weapon. I fell in love with it as soon as I could use it in Counter Strike

Anyway it's really sad how Assad just doesn't even seem to care, (and neither do Russia and China. they are just using the opportunity to get some more cash into their wallets). His goals have turned from running a country to just killing as much as possible. What's he gaining from waging war on his own nation? How can he not know the obvious answer to that question? Does he even know what hes doing?

And now it sounds like the Assad regime wants to shoot at neighboring nations once he runs out of civilians.

It might be worth considering not just getting one country away from Syria but two, just in case Syria's neighbors get involved.

I can say that the US and Europe want to do something about this but nobody seems to have the slightest clue on how to stop it. This Assad guy doesn't sound like the type that will listen to reason. There are fears that a military attempt to stop the Assad regime by foreign nations may cause Russia or China to get hostile, I bet that's why the UN is so hesitant to take action despite their vocal complaints on the matter (but that's just a guess)

Last edited Aug 25, 2012 at 01:27AM EDT

Link. WARNING: Blood
Douma district, Damascus.

The Daily death toll has reached 196 dead today by 10:00 pm.
Reports say that the city of Harak has been razed to the ground, it all started when it was rumored that the defected Vice-president of Syria Farouq Al-Shara' was hiding with his family in that city.
So the Regime's response was to try and kill him before he escapes, the Prime Minister's (Riyad Hijab) defection and subsequent successful escape into Jordan 3 weeks earlier was a heavy blow to them (and the troop morale) and they were willing to raze a whole city to prevent another one like it.
Not surprising… considering that bombing the shit out of everything seems to be the regime's default response to anything.
Meanwhile fighting has intensified in Douma, Darria, Saif al-Doula and other districts of Aleppo and Damascus.

Last edited Aug 25, 2012 at 09:47PM EDT

burning_phoneix wrote:

You'd think we've seen the highest level of violence at this point.

But then you'd be wrong:

Syrian Regime kills 200 people in a single village on the Outskirts of Damascus

The Syrian Obersvatory for Human Rights puts the death toll across Syria on Saturday to 370. Which would make it the bloodiest day since the whole thing started in March 2011

ACtually, new corpses were discovered, the count is now at 315 dead people in the massacre alone, combined with the usual daily death toll, it's estimated as 440.
So yeah.
The Regime immedeately started blaming the Opposition, which is hilarious seeing that we all know who have been using jet-fighters all this time to kill innocent civilians.

I would post some massacre vids and pics, but I think I will get banned this time so I won't.
Meanwhile, everyone continues to give no shits.

I'm really pissed at the UN for refusing to help arm the Syrian resistance and take out the Assad Tanks/Airforce like we did in Libya.
Also Russia and China, I'm pissed at them too.
Actually it's just Russia and China messing up the UN as well.
Goddamn cold war, why won't it just end.

MDFification wrote:

I'm really pissed at the UN for refusing to help arm the Syrian resistance and take out the Assad Tanks/Airforce like we did in Libya.
Also Russia and China, I'm pissed at them too.
Actually it's just Russia and China messing up the UN as well.
Goddamn cold war, why won't it just end.

It's not that the UN is refusing to help, but Russia and China are blocking any security council resolutions.

That and the UK, France and the United States are STILL being criticized for intervening in Libya, not to mention it cost them millions of dollars each and exposed their toothlessness (Despite wanting to "take the lead" both the UK and France depended on the Americans picking up the slack)

Excuse the double post:

Iran to Send Troops to Bolster Syria

"Today we are involved in fighting every aspect of a war, a military one in Syria and a cultural one as well," Gen. Salar Abnoush, commander of IRGC's Saheb al-Amr unit, told volunteer trainees in a speech Monday. The comments, reported by the Daneshjoo news agency, which is run by regime-aligned students, couldn't be independently verified. Top Iranian officials had previously said the country isn't involved in the conflict.

Really now….

On Thursday, Iran's defense minister publicly signaled a shift. If Syria fails to put down the uprising, Iran would send military help based on a mutual defense agreement between the two countries, two Iranian newspapers quoted Defense Minister Ahmad Vahidi as saying. Syria hadn't asked for assistance yet, he added.

"Syria is managing this situation very well on its own," he said. "But if the government can't resolve the crisis on its own, then based on their request we will fulfill our mutual defense-security pact."

burning_phoneix wrote:

Excuse the double post:

Iran to Send Troops to Bolster Syria

"Today we are involved in fighting every aspect of a war, a military one in Syria and a cultural one as well," Gen. Salar Abnoush, commander of IRGC's Saheb al-Amr unit, told volunteer trainees in a speech Monday. The comments, reported by the Daneshjoo news agency, which is run by regime-aligned students, couldn't be independently verified. Top Iranian officials had previously said the country isn't involved in the conflict.

Really now….

On Thursday, Iran's defense minister publicly signaled a shift. If Syria fails to put down the uprising, Iran would send military help based on a mutual defense agreement between the two countries, two Iranian newspapers quoted Defense Minister Ahmad Vahidi as saying. Syria hadn't asked for assistance yet, he added.

"Syria is managing this situation very well on its own," he said. "But if the government can't resolve the crisis on its own, then based on their request we will fulfill our mutual defense-security pact."

If they say that they haven't helped yet then they lie, they are already helping the Regime quell the uprising, a lot of leaks from the Iranian Revolutionary Guard confirm that Soldiers and weapons are being sent from Iran to Syria to help with the slaughter.
Well it's good to know that at least ONE country is willing to jump to our aid…. Oh wait….

X wrote:

If they say that they haven't helped yet then they lie, they are already helping the Regime quell the uprising, a lot of leaks from the Iranian Revolutionary Guard confirm that Soldiers and weapons are being sent from Iran to Syria to help with the slaughter.
Well it's good to know that at least ONE country is willing to jump to our aid…. Oh wait….

Well, Assad said he'd use chemical weapons on foreign invaders.
Oh wait, that isn't going to work out for the good guys either.

God fucking damn, this is going very, very bad places.

It's clear that things are going to get worse before they get better. I think it might take a while before Russia is willing to give up on arms shipments and go for Syrian intervention. China?

It might take sanctions to get China to agree to stop, considering how much I've heard they don't really like many other people.

Forgive me for not being able to geopolitics worth a damn.

@MDF:
Assad will use chemical weapons if he starts losing, regardless of who finally beats him.
He is commited to the mentality of war, even back when the total Syrian death toll stood at only EIGHT he said:"If it's war then we welcome it."
The difference is, if it is the NATO that actually defeat him, they actually can overwhelm his forces and prevent the launch or use of chemical weapons, whether by cutting the communications, bombing the launching sites, taking out key-commanding figures.
All in all, the NATO offers a much better chance of denying Assad the use of chemical weapons, compared to a group of starved under-gunned defected soldiers and volunteering civilians.

A British doctor travels to Syria to provide medical care for the helpless wounded there, all on her holiday.

Dr. Craven, you are a hero, you make this Syrian ashamed of fleeing his homeland.
Best of wishes to you.

During his first visit to Tehran, The Egyptian President Mohammad Morsi slams the Iranian support for the Syrian regime and rebukes them for their actions.
It is worth pointing that he actually came to become the president thanks to the success of the Egyptian Revolution of 2011, which is another branch of the Arab Spring, the same Spring that led to the revolution in Syria.
Anyway, the decision I chose to share this, is because the Syrian Regime accused Morsi's support of the revolution as "instigating bloodshed in Syria,"
If his speech is instigating bloodshed, then what would you call the arrival of the Iranian Special Forces to help kill civilians next to the para-military semi-criminal Shabiha forces?

in the meantime, a UNSC meeting is in session, but it's clear that a no-flight zone is till out of the question, so it appears that the FSA have taken things into their own hands, with the land-based forces thinning out, the rebels have started focusing on the Regime' aerial assets.
Two days ago, a helicopter was shot down over the Syrian capital Damascus:

While today a MiG-23 was shot down, causing its two pilots to eject,

Sadly, one of the pilots used his sidearm to resist arrest, prompting the rebels to engage in firefight with him, which ended in his death, his co-pilot was captured, and upon further investigation admitted that his mission was to bomb one of the several outlaying villages outside Idlib.

They also started attacking military airports, So far Mennegh and Taftanaz (the largest Helicopter landing base in all of Syria) in Idlib have had their military airports attacked, the Taftanaz attack costed the regime the loss of 11 armored vehicles and tanks and 10 helicopters, while the Mennegh attack cost them Several armored vehicles and 10 Attacker Jets.

They also announced that they will attack the Regime's forces that are stationed inside Civilian airports, since their runways are used to launch aerial attacks over the uprising Syrian cities, a deadline was set three days from now, to allow all the commercial airlines enough time to clear their assets and employees from those military targets.
Following this, all airlines announced that they will no longer offer transport services to or over Syrian air-space.

Bab Al-Salamah passageway into Turkey, flying rebel flags next to the Turkish ones.

It is worth mentioning that hardly any airlines were going to Syria in the first place, and that most refugees prefer to take the land route (just like I did) since almost all passes to Turkey and Iraq are regulated by the FSA and the rebel forces, from customs to official stamps.

'Tis nice to know that, even if it's moral-only, another country disapproves of Assad. One step closer towards actual intervention.

Smart move the rebels are making there. Taking out air power means that you become a hell of a lot safer, because aircraft can really screw your day right up, as I'm sure you know.

Wait, the UNSC is discussing Syria? God, just tell them to send Master Chief in, he'll clean house.
I know what you're talking about, though, UN Security Council – like I said earlier, still slightly skeptical they may actually get anything done (*cough*china*cough*), but hoping that they do.

So, the rebels are making some progress?

That's excellent that they're taking out the enemy vehicles and aircraft. Geurilla warfare at its finest. They're destroying the thing that gives the enemy their advantage, and are forcing them to fight at their level.

So…to all the people following this thread, have you guys shared or linked this thread to anyone, like putting the link on Twitter or Facebook? I just think that sharing this might get people to care about it more, especially if it's from someone they know, and firsthand accounts can be very compelling. Anyway…just wondering.

ConnerABacon wrote:

So, the rebels are making some progress?

That's excellent that they're taking out the enemy vehicles and aircraft. Geurilla warfare at its finest. They're destroying the thing that gives the enemy their advantage, and are forcing them to fight at their level.

It's been stalemated for quite some time.

For all the accusation of support from Saudi Arabia and Qatar, arms have been reaching Syrian rebels in a trickle. Some AA gunners from the FSA army can only afford to shoot for a few seconds at helicopters before running out of ammo and Urban fighting in Aleppo and Damascus burns through all types of ammo quite quickly. That regime has stockpiles of old Warsaw Pact ammunition lying around but the rebels have to go out there and take it to keep fighting.

Last edited Aug 30, 2012 at 10:14PM EDT

I just wanted to share thi story with you all, I'm not even sure who follows this thread anymore, but anyway.
I saw this picture back on the 16th of August.

It seems that the pained of expression of the poor cat that has a mortar-shrapnel lodged in her back moved not only my heart, but the hearts of over a hundred different animal-rescue organizations around the planet.
This picture just goes to show how endless man's cruelty can be.

So normally, you can imagine my joy when I saw this photo

The Doctors in the improvised hospitals of the besieged city of Homs actually took from their time and supplies to treat this cat, you can see the video of the operation here.(ALSO NOT FOR SQUEAMISH PEOPLE)
The Cat may still suffer from Paraplegia, but other than that, she has recovered and from what my friends told me: The cat is now living with the Shuhada' Baba Amro Brigade of the Free Syrian Army as some sort of mascot and a symbol of the resilience and defiance that all Homsians posses.
I'm just glad that this kitty has survived, once I heard that she is alive I can only think of Amanda for some reason. Maybe because Cats, and Happy Endings.. possibly…
So here's a cheer for the brave doctors at Homs, working under-staffed and under-quipped under fire, to save not only injured Syrian Humans, but also Injured Human Cats.
The Internet and all its cats salute you!

Anyway back to the situation right now, 110 dead today, it seems that concentrating on the aerial forces is paying off.
The attack on several regime-controlled airbases continues.
The attack on Abo Al-Dohaeir airport in Idlib resulted in the destruction of 7 more helicopters (both Transporter Mi-17 Hips and Gunship Mi-25 Hinds).
Whereas the attack on Al-Kwaires airport in Aleppo cost the regime 4 Albatross L39K Attacker Jets.
Also an Air-defence brigade was captured with all its equipment in Bo Kamal, reports say that the number of captive regime soldiers is 116, and that rebels also now posses the anti-aircraft missiles that the brigade was originally equipped with. Well more arms to the anti-air campaign it seems…

As for politics, both the UNSC and Iran summit failed to make any tangible progress on the ground, USA and Europe continue to assure the Syrian Opposition that it's nearly done, while Iran, Russia and China continue to assure them that it will take forever and they might as well give up.

But France did pull off something cool during the UNSC meeting:
The Syrian government representative to the UN Al-Ja'fari alluded to the fact that France occupied Syria in the past and that colonizers like them should not go demanding freedom for the same people that they occupied not 70 years ago.
To which France responded by publishing a document from the heads of the Alwite sect ( the sect that the regime's top dogs belong to, including the president and all the Intelligence's to figures), that Document was sent to France BEGGING them to keep occupying the country.
What's golden is that this document was signed by Suleiman Al-Assad the grandfather of our former president and the great-grandfather of the current one, Needless to say, that shut them up and ruined their "freedom-fighter" made-up image for GOOD.
They kept that document hidden for so long, but they fetched it and made copies and waited for the regime to take the bait and mention them, and when they did, they distributed the copies on the whole UNSC assembly. BAM!

It's safe to say that France = Master Trolls,

For all of you Arabic speakers out there, you can view that priceless historic document here: LINK.

Last edited Aug 31, 2012 at 10:36PM EDT

This thread has been posted on The Daily What

That article was the first I'd heard about this. All this time, I had no idea what this thread was about. All this time, I always glazed over it, assuming it was a discussion of the conflict, rather than what it really is. Never before have I felt such a combination of shock and ignorance. I would apologize, but who would I apologize to but myself?

Be safe, X-Singular. We are with you in spirit.

Last edited Sep 01, 2012 at 01:28PM EDT

Fridge wrote:

This thread has been posted on The Daily What

That article was the first I'd heard about this. All this time, I had no idea what this thread was about. All this time, I always glazed over it, assuming it was a discussion of the conflict, rather than what it really is. Never before have I felt such a combination of shock and ignorance. I would apologize, but who would I apologize to but myself?

Be safe, X-Singular. We are with you in spirit.

Wow.

Just…wow.

Thanks to everyone who reblogged or retweeted this thread, this thread is a continuation of another one that got locked due to my inactivity in the last month, that inactivity was the result of the Regime cutting all communications to my city Aleppo.
Thank you again from the bottom of my heart.

The Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medevdev stated today
"It would be ridiculous to assume that Al-Assad will cease fire first", thus more or less cementing the fact that Al-Assad only has the security solution in his sights.
and that's not the only bad news regarding international politics…
Remember the speech that I mentioned in the update before the last? The one that the Egyptian President made in Iran, scolding Iran for supporting the bloodshed the Syrian Regime is committing.
Well, Irani-state media translated the Speech from Arabic to Farsi….
and it replaced every mention of Syria with Bahrain.
Yes ladies and gentlemen, Mursi's speech is now about how brave the people of Bahrain are for standing against their bloodthirsty government…

I might as well change this thread's title to Bahrain Conflict, to better suit the Irani media.

So about the Bahra- sorry, I meant the Syrian death toll:
The month of august is considered one of the bloodiest since the start of the Revolution 16 months ago.

The total confirmed death toll in August alone is 2565, the actual number is higher, since most destroyed buildings hide many corpses that no-one has the ability to dig-up.

As for the daily death toll: it's about 200 today.

The attack on Abo Al-Dohaeir airport continues, destroying 14 more helicopters and injuring many Regime-affiliated soldiers.
Also, it looks like that the FSA's new strategy is working, not only is the regime using training aircraft as bombers, in the Aleppo area they are using improvised munitions, made from Petrol barrels fitted with a mortar-shell's impact fuse.
Yes it may sound hilarious and pathetic, but it's still deadly.

Also there are several reports of the Syrian High Military Council electing another person to succeed Colonel Riyad Al-Asaad as the Leader of the Free Syrian Army, the reports claim that the new leader is non-other than Major General Dr. Muhammad Al-Haj Ali, one of Syria's oldest and most respected generals.

@MDFification:
I wanted to post something as a response to you MDF, but I forgot to do it last time.
The FSA recently captured the Al-Aftarees Launching-base. and they found several
Medium-ranged missiles, those missiles were prepped to receive non-conventional warheads, like Chemical warheads.
It's not a question of "if" he is going to use chemical weaponry, it's a question of "when".
Video of the FSA after controlling Al-Aftarees launching base, skip to 1:20 to see the rockets or just watch it here on Youtube:

-

Here are some random pictures of the current situation in Homs:

That's from Aleppo:

In case you are curious, Yes, people still live there:

Last edited Sep 01, 2012 at 07:22PM EDT

X-singular, glad you're still okay, and thank you for posting the kitty picture. People who care about other humans obviously care about other beings, too. I am consistently surprised and amazed that govt's et al. don't see what an amazing tool the internet is. I spoke to a FB friend in Egypt through the conflict there. It opens up eyes. The world can see what is going on. It's brave of you to share about Syria, because I would not have known otherwise.

I slept in today, even though it was Sunday and my father went to church. I was not beheaded for my choice. I had a choice of what to eat and how to prepare it. My food was clean and my water pure. I did not have to risk life and limb to get a loaf of bread. Even now, I am using a high-speed cable connection to type a simple message, something that may take our brave friend X-Singular hours or even days to get ahold of. May the brave fighters of the FSA and the oppressed masses of Syria be successful in their war for freedom, that they may some day enjoy these benefits I and millions of other people take for granted.

Stay safe X-Singular, keep fighting the good fight. Keep bringing us the truth, no matter how bad it hurts.

My City:Aleppo, results of the continued artillery shelling.

The battle rages on, the confirmed daily death toll of today is 106.
The bombardment on Aleppo continues…

Thanks to the ongoing bombing, people have sought refuge in several schools and dorms in Aleppo, but now since the "Academic Semester" is starting, the Ministry of Education ordered that the refugee-filled schools be cleared of it's inhabitants, many of whom have been forced to sell their clothes and personal possessions to survive.
And just to set a world-record in asshole-ry, the Schools that are used as barracks for the Regime's SAF forces are NOT to be cleared…
So the "academic Year" only affects the schools that people are hiding in? why don't you start by clearing your soldiers first? Oh right, you're the reason those people are homeless in the first place.

There are still a lot of undug corpses who may add up to that number, but still I like to think that the FSA's military operations on all the Regime's military airports is paying off, 106 is lesser than usual.
Even if it's not completely halting the bombings, the FSA are inflicting heavy losses on the regime's aresenal of helicopters and jets, and they are claiming whatever armored vehicles that are left as their own, is shown in this video:

Enjoy the new BMP and T-72 boys, just don't scratch the paintjob!

As for the political scene, Bahrain (naturally) demands that Iran apologizes for the Mursi's speech intended mistranslation fiasco.
and in a recent interview former UN secretary-general and former head of the UN Syrian-peace mission said the following:

Assad will have to go. You cannot remain in power when so many people have been killed and are dying. No leader can retain legitimacy after this. The question is how he goes, and when he goes.

Really? It took you this long to realize that? Why did you say that exactly ONE day after you quit? Why didn't you say that back when you were still in power as Head of the UN peace mission to Syria? Why does everyone speak out only AFTER they are no-longer useful?
….more disappointments and false-hopes.

And now for the positive outlook:

"Do you think love can bloom even on a battlefield?" -Otacon, MGS.
Yes, yes it can. (that's a wedding, in-case you still couldn't tell)
Congratulation to Firas (an accountant, now an FSA fighter) and Hanan (a nurse who works in the field hospitals), May Syria be a strong and free home for your children!

Last edited Sep 02, 2012 at 07:40PM EDT

I'm not contributing anything that hasn't been already said before, but my God, this is horrible. Libya and Egypt (and to a lesser extent, Yemen and Tunisia) get massive media coverage, full NATO support, and a new, democratic government in a matter of months, yet Syria has been stuck in a deadlock for over a year and a half now, with no end in sight? What is this, World War I? Has the entire world lost interest already? It's not like this is any less important than the other conflicts, so why the hell is no one doing anything?

I thought Gaddafi was bad, but sheesh, this disgrace of a man we know as Assad makes Ahmadinejad looks like the second coming of Jesus. And I'm only exaggerating slightly here. I swear to God, I hope Al Qaeda, which is actually fiercely anti-Assad, suicide bombs the everloving shit out of him. That'll teach him to kill innocent civilians, with the added bonus of being deliciously ironic.

Twins the Serendipitous Serval wrote:

I'm not contributing anything that hasn't been already said before, but my God, this is horrible. Libya and Egypt (and to a lesser extent, Yemen and Tunisia) get massive media coverage, full NATO support, and a new, democratic government in a matter of months, yet Syria has been stuck in a deadlock for over a year and a half now, with no end in sight? What is this, World War I? Has the entire world lost interest already? It's not like this is any less important than the other conflicts, so why the hell is no one doing anything?

I thought Gaddafi was bad, but sheesh, this disgrace of a man we know as Assad makes Ahmadinejad looks like the second coming of Jesus. And I'm only exaggerating slightly here. I swear to God, I hope Al Qaeda, which is actually fiercely anti-Assad, suicide bombs the everloving shit out of him. That'll teach him to kill innocent civilians, with the added bonus of being deliciously ironic.

That's basically the problem why Syria isn't getting much help. Goverments and Unions are still a bit pissed, saying France and the UK went too quickly with attacking Libya. This resulted in a lot of costs, costs that are more acceptable for the US (with the huge debt they already got), but not for France and the UK (especially France with its current financial crisis). Here are some Wiki stats. A lot of other countries didn't really took action until the US got involved, and even then they mainly followed the US.

So yeah, long story short, they want to avoid the costs and getting yelled at again by others for jumping the gun, resulting in them being too careful this time and hardly doing anything. The US also has all its politics in the news atm, resulting in Syria getting less attention. Because we all know politics are way more important than the situation in Syria. #sarcasm

Also, please watch out with what you post. Hoping Al Qaeda gets involved and goes suicide bomb crazy, can't say I support that.

Last edited Sep 03, 2012 at 11:34AM EDT

@Twins

Has the entire world lost interest already? It’s not like this is any less important than the other conflicts, so why the hell is no one doing anything?

We've all asked that question at some point. The best I can gather is that the rest of the world seems to have it's own crap to deal with. Getting involved in international affairs has lost popularity with all the financial and political upheaval currently running rampant in 1st world nations. As Random pointed out: you saw how much deep shit the UN got into just for getting involved with the Libyan incident. The Syrian war was being viewed as yet another instance of that which will carry the same costs so the UN held back.

If that wasn't enough, China and Russia are also responsible for the delayed reaction. They are purposefully blocking any resolution just so they can continue selling firearms and war machines to the Assad regime (who seem to be lighting their cigarettes with money)

That was then. Presently, thanks to that initial delay due to feared conciseness; nobody is sure what to do now. Syria seems to have passed the point where the damage can be easily undone. Will UN intervention fix Syria or just burn the last fleeting amount of money the UN still holds onto without any progress?

I hope Al Qaeda, which is actually fiercely anti-Assad, suicide bombs the everloving shit out of him. That’ll teach him to kill innocent civilians, with the added bonus of being deliciously ironic.

Keep in mind that Al Qaeda is only interested in dethroning Assad because they hope to ascertain control over Syria themselves…nobody wants that, especially not the Syrians

Last edited Sep 03, 2012 at 12:10PM EDT

@BSoD:
The Government has one mission beside making the life of its citizens hell, and that is pretend nothing is wrong, if you watch State-run TV channel you'd think that everything is A-OK and that fuel is plentiful, and that nothing is dying except the "Terrorist Armed Gangs", and everyday a Russian/Chinese/Iranian Expert gets interviewed on the TV, and he spends the entirety of the interview assuring the viewer that the International Community is 100% supportive of Bashar Al-Assad.
Basically:

Yeah, it's that bad.

@Mex
It's alright, you're not the first one to mistake this thread for such.
Do you have any suggestions for new thread titles to avoid such mishaps?

@Twins: BSoD here has got the right idea, I couldn't have phrased it better than he did:

"…nobody wants that, especially not the Syrians."

@RandomMan:
It appears that the international community (including China and Russia to a certain extent) has switched their default response to this mess to "Ignore".
Problem is, Iran is NOT willing to let go of one of it's last outposts in the Middle-East.

@Alejandro and the others that thanked me:
I should be thanking you, this thread started as just a way to avoid copy/pasting everytime one of my friends asked about me or about the situation in Syria in general.
I'm glad that others are interested in knowing the plights that the Syrian People are facing these days.

CORRECTION:
The total death toll for the month of August is not 2565, it's 5265 dunno how that passed by me.

Aleppo, Saif Al-Dawla neighborhood, photo taken from the building next to the post office.

Pretty much more of the same today, the Daily Death toll has ascended to 250.
The Regime is now almost exclusively using Petrol Barrels stuffed with TNT as improvised Unguided Iron Bombs in the region of Idlib. Needless to say, this is the result of the previous attacks carried out by the FSA on all Idlib airports.
But there is one crucial thing that changed today, in an almost-suicidal move today, the Regime has started calling in troops from the reserves.
Every male that is above the age of 18 is in the reserve, you may delay your military service because of academic pursuits, but when it ends you Will return to being a reservist.
So now he is calling in NEW soldiers from the reserves. the same reserves that have been hiding in their family's houses watching their people getting slaughtered, so he sends troops to ARREST the reservists to bring them to military service….
Need I remind you that the FSA is basically defected SAF soldiers who had enough of his shit? How much of this shit do you think a called-in reservist can take before defecting?
My guess? Not a lot.

In Other news, Asem Hamsho (a Syrian who was on a food strike in Paris to raise awareness to the plight of Syrians) has been admitted to an unnamed Parisian hospital after his strike almost mortally affected him.

Wow…I'm honestly not sure how react to all this. All I can say is that I wish you the best of luck. We're all rooting for you, and I hope this ends soon.

It sounds a bit generic, I know, but I'm not too good at motivating people.

My heart goes out to those who have lost their lives, loved ones and their homes. I am praying that you can remain healthy and well and keep posting information so more people can be aware of what's happening in Syria. Wish there was something us regular folks could do to help! Meanwhile, we send our love and prayers.

Perhaps my reaction was unwarranted. Deep down inside I knew the answers to all of the questions I posed, but my outrage was nearing closer and closer to critical mass every time I read through one of X-Singular's posts. I just couldn't stand how stupidly Asshead is behaving. Does he really think he can win, with the odds stacked so against him? Mubarak knew when he was beat, and despite what I said earlier, I seriously doubt this guy is as crazy as Gaddafi was. And more importantly, does he believe what he is doing is right for his country? I'll never understand leaders who subjugate their own citizens for their own power, when said power is directly proportional to the economic, not political, power of the state itself. A country like North Korea is entirely meaningless and uninfluential upon the rest of the world. Sure, they can delude themselves with fantasies of "if we have nuclear weapons everyone will be scared of us!", but when it comes down to what it is, they'll be begging on their knees for food relief. Or in the case of Syria a few decades ago, plzdontleaveusfranceplzweneedustayplz.

Last edited Sep 04, 2012 at 12:48AM EDT

Hi! You must login or signup first!