Forums / Maintenance / Report Problems

14,362 total conversations in 1,032 threads

+ New Thread


Featured Featured Locked Locked
Introducing New KYM User Titles

Last posted Nov 12, 2011 at 09:43PM EST. Added Jul 08, 2011 at 02:27PM EDT
140 posts from 62 users

and i tried so hard to become a researcher, but it kind of makes sense because some people don’t contribute to memes but do to the forums, and vise versa.

Jul 09, 2011 at 05:08PM EDT
Quote

Power, No Limits wrote:

isn’t each field changed it’s own edit? Because if you count up all of the fields i have changed on that page, it equals 66 also.

I think this sounds fair. Some people (like me) just make one tiny edit to fix something and some change whole sections. It doesn’t seem like they should be equal with the new ranking system that we have.

Jul 09, 2011 at 09:37PM EDT
Quote

Yeah, but people also sometimes make really tiny “+1 confirm” and “+1 deadpool” comments. People post one-word responses in many forum games. I think it’s fine to count all edits. Plus, it’s just a good habit to save often when working on editing a meme entry so it doesn’t lose your progress. I’ve had lots of progress lost from not saving often enough and doing something stupid.

Last edited Jul 09, 2011 at 09:54PM EDT
Jul 09, 2011 at 09:43PM EDT
Quote

Also, if it were to display total bytes added to the database there would be too much incentive for people to plagiarize large chunks of text.

Jul 09, 2011 at 09:45PM EDT
Quote

The Cute Master :3 wrote:

I think this sounds fair. Some people (like me) just make one tiny edit to fix something and some change whole sections. It doesn’t seem like they should be equal with the new ranking system that we have.

Editing one word and editing an entire paragraph would still be the same since it’s only editing one field of the entry. Fields are the body, title, icon, category, etc.

The next revision of the title system probably won’t count edits at all since I feel the number of editorships are more important. If a user has an editorship on the entry and isn’t contributing then that entry’s editors can simply take the user off. As a site admin I can edit any entry and automatically receive editorships but I’ve gone ahead and removed myself from any entries I’ve edited since I’m not really an entry editor.

I trust the users on the site to give and take away editorships when they feel it’s appropriate.

Jul 09, 2011 at 09:46PM EDT
Quote

James wrote:

Editing one word and editing an entire paragraph would still be the same since it’s only editing one field of the entry. Fields are the body, title, icon, category, etc.

The next revision of the title system probably won’t count edits at all since I feel the number of editorships are more important. If a user has an editorship on the entry and isn’t contributing then that entry’s editors can simply take the user off. As a site admin I can edit any entry and automatically receive editorships but I’ve gone ahead and removed myself from any entries I’ve edited since I’m not really an entry editor.

I trust the users on the site to give and take away editorships when they feel it’s appropriate.

I think that part of the reward of working on a meme entry is having your name listed on it as one of the contributors. If you’ve added something valuable to the meme entry but are no longer updating it, it would suck to no longer have credit as one of the contributors.

Jul 09, 2011 at 09:54PM EDT
Quote

Chris Menning wrote:

I think that part of the reward of working on a meme entry is having your name listed on it as one of the contributors. If you’ve added something valuable to the meme entry but are no longer updating it, it would suck to no longer have credit as one of the contributors.

I was thinking more of the rare case where someone asks for editorship and is granted it but doesn’t really do anything. I’m confident that the editors on the site can find those users and remove them.

If a user has made meaningful edits to an entry they should be able to keep the editorship no matter how long ago the edits were actually made. Right now the maximum number of editors on an entry is 10 and I’ll be increasing that.

Jul 09, 2011 at 09:58PM EDT
Quote

Chris Menning wrote:

I think that part of the reward of working on a meme entry is having your name listed on it as one of the contributors. If you’ve added something valuable to the meme entry but are no longer updating it, it would suck to no longer have credit as one of the contributors.

Actually it’s just not visible on the front page. All edits are still recoded in the edit history even if you are removed or remove yourself as an editor. But yea, I feel it would suck to no longer be on the front page credits. There is a certain power about the front page.

Jul 09, 2011 at 10:14PM EDT
Quote

James wrote:

Editing one word and editing an entire paragraph would still be the same since it’s only editing one field of the entry. Fields are the body, title, icon, category, etc.

The next revision of the title system probably won’t count edits at all since I feel the number of editorships are more important. If a user has an editorship on the entry and isn’t contributing then that entry’s editors can simply take the user off. As a site admin I can edit any entry and automatically receive editorships but I’ve gone ahead and removed myself from any entries I’ve edited since I’m not really an entry editor.

I trust the users on the site to give and take away editorships when they feel it’s appropriate.

Well I’d be fine with the paragraph vs one word being equal, but there are times where I go thorugh and type a lot to an article (like when I’ve first added an article) and it gives the same amout of edits as just fixing a simple gramatical error. I know they are both “edits” but with the ranking system I think it would be the fairest option to go by fields edited rather than the total edits.

Jul 09, 2011 at 10:25PM EDT
Quote

Kinda don’t like the sound of commentator, but at least I’m not Gold Member again. :3

Jul 09, 2011 at 11:14PM EDT
Quote

The Cute Master :3 wrote:

Well I’d be fine with the paragraph vs one word being equal, but there are times where I go thorugh and type a lot to an article (like when I’ve first added an article) and it gives the same amout of edits as just fixing a simple gramatical error. I know they are both “edits” but with the ranking system I think it would be the fairest option to go by fields edited rather than the total edits.

edit: Nevermind, I misunderstood what you were saying.

Anyway the revised system won’t count edits because there’s no easy way of determining the quality of an edit.

Remember that these titles are automatic and are just used to give users a very general title which reflects what they do. All entry related titles will be determined by the breadth of entries (number of editorships) that users work on. If you have an expertise on a certain entry or area we can give you a custom title that will override the automatic ones.

Last edited Jul 09, 2011 at 11:43PM EDT
Jul 09, 2011 at 11:35PM EDT
Quote

James wrote:

edit: Nevermind, I misunderstood what you were saying.

Anyway the revised system won’t count edits because there’s no easy way of determining the quality of an edit.

Remember that these titles are automatic and are just used to give users a very general title which reflects what they do. All entry related titles will be determined by the breadth of entries (number of editorships) that users work on. If you have an expertise on a certain entry or area we can give you a custom title that will override the automatic ones.

Can we still get the pie charts and karma update?

:D PLEASE:D

Jul 09, 2011 at 11:44PM EDT
Quote

James wrote:

edit: Nevermind, I misunderstood what you were saying.

Anyway the revised system won’t count edits because there’s no easy way of determining the quality of an edit.

Remember that these titles are automatic and are just used to give users a very general title which reflects what they do. All entry related titles will be determined by the breadth of entries (number of editorships) that users work on. If you have an expertise on a certain entry or area we can give you a custom title that will override the automatic ones.

sounds fair enough!

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:38AM EDT
Quote

Chris Menning wrote:

Can we still get the pie charts and karma update?

:D PLEASE:D




Jul 10, 2011 at 02:25PM EDT
Quote

I like the title of Conversationalist. It makes me feel….classy.
(Pops open a bottle of champagne)

Jul 11, 2011 at 08:51AM EDT
Quote

Also, I love the idea of the pie charts/any included awesomeness that has been suggested. It would make contribution a whole lot easier to track.

Finally, CONFOUND YOU FUDGE-GRUCK FOR REMINDING ME TO FINISH WATCHING SOUL EATER

Jul 11, 2011 at 01:06PM EDT
Quote

EP73 wrote:

How the heck did Hollabackatcha become a commentator… NVM. (TROLOLOL)

I’m not a troll, I’m on almost all the time, and update every day.
Although, 4 the record, most of my posts are in the J4F category.
Y do people think I’m a troll?
0_o

Jul 12, 2011 at 03:57PM EDT
Quote

The graphs are a great idea, but aesthetically, the color choices are just poor. The softer colors used earlier were much better. Just my two cents on the matter.

Jul 12, 2011 at 07:06PM EDT
Quote

THE GRAPHS AND UPDATED KARMA ARE NOW WORKING WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

(I’m in space)

Jul 12, 2011 at 08:21PM EDT
Quote

Why’s this necessary? People don’t need to see how many times I plus and minus. Besides, some people actually neg my posts just for kicks. It hasn’t been fixed, it’s been screwed up more.

Jul 12, 2011 at 09:28PM EDT
Quote
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Also, people thumb me down for disagreement of opinions or bad news, like here.
http://knowyourmeme.com/forums/general/topics/10422-vocaloid-banned-from-japanese-schools

Jul 13, 2011 at 12:46AM EDT
Quote

Charts are now working! Looks nice!

But couldn’t it be implemented as a separate tab or as a drop-down collapsable menu? It takes quite a chunk on the part where the About section is placed and one needs to scroll down more to get to the Wall.

Also, where are the Researchers? I’ve seen not a single member with those titles yet.

Last edited Jul 13, 2011 at 06:12PM EDT
Jul 13, 2011 at 06:11PM EDT
Quote

I do not like the +/- thing. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE FUCK MY KARMA IS. I do like the date joined update and the pie charts.
Edit:
New ranks NOT needed.

Last edited Jul 14, 2011 at 03:10AM EDT
Jul 14, 2011 at 03:09AM EDT
Quote

Katie C. wrote:

I’m not seeing a date joined update.

Mouse over your “Joined X Months/Years Ago” and a note will pop up under the mouse.

Example: Now I know I joined July the 19th last year at 7:58 am.

Jul 14, 2011 at 03:56PM EDT
Quote

Sorry for the bump and necroposting, but is the ranks based on percentage or quantity? I recently saw a “Jr. Researcher” with only 2 editorialships, less than 10 edits, but that’s almost 50% of his contributions.
EDIT: Also just noticed I changed from Commentator to Collector.

Last edited Aug 11, 2011 at 02:27PM EDT
Aug 11, 2011 at 02:26PM EDT
Quote

O.O I think collector is staged to be higher than the others cuz I try to edit and get back Researcher, but I’m still a “Collector” even thought I have twice as many edits as image contributions.

Aug 11, 2011 at 03:22PM EDT
Quote

Can we get a list of the numbers and priorities for all the titles?

Maybe this will answer everyone’s questions.

Last edited Aug 11, 2011 at 04:01PM EDT
Aug 11, 2011 at 04:00PM EDT
Quote

I think someone suggested being able to choose which field and position was displayed. Whatever happened to that?

Aug 11, 2011 at 07:56PM EDT
Quote

Fridge wrote:

I think someone suggested being able to choose which field and position was displayed. Whatever happened to that?

Oh yeah, I remember that now.

Would be nice to get that.

Aug 12, 2011 at 03:31PM EDT
Quote

Simply because I want to have an entry based rank more than a forum based rank, I’m seconding the requests for a list of requirements and priorities on titles. It would help to know how badly I’ve screwed myself over by commenting so much.

Aug 16, 2011 at 03:01AM EDT
Quote

Never posted in a forum, Gold member. I approve. Well I suppose I have now posted in a forum lol.

Nov 11, 2011 at 03:33PM EST
Quote

Alex dawnstar wrote:

Never posted in a forum, Gold member. I approve. Well I suppose I have now posted in a forum lol.

Thou hast necro’d like a bitch.

Nov 12, 2011 at 09:43PM EST
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!