Forums / Maintenance / Announcements

2,044 total conversations in 85 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured Locked Locked
Introducing New KYM User Titles

Last posted Nov 12, 2011 at 09:43PM EST. Added Jul 08, 2011 at 02:27PM EDT
140 posts from 62 users

Hey guys!

So we went through the list of automatic user titles and decided to make some changes and updates to highlight a wider range of KYM activities. Here's the list that's been put in place:

Research Advisor
Resident Researcher
Sr. Researcher
Conversationalist
Archivist
Collector
Commentator
Researcher
Gold Member
Jr. Researcher
Lurker
Brand New Member

Brad wrote:

Hey guys!

So we went through the list of automatic user titles and decided to make some changes and updates to highlight a wider range of KYM activities. Here's the list that's been put in place:

Research Advisor
Resident Researcher
Sr. Researcher
Conversationalist
Archivist
Collector
Commentator
Researcher
Gold Member
Jr. Researcher
Lurker
Brand New Member

Can you please explain the diff. between each one?

The new titles are based on different kinds of contributions.

Forum Contributions
Conversationalist
Commentator
Gold Member
Lurker

Media Contributions
Archivist
Collector

Entry Contributions
Research Advisor
Resident Researcher
Sr. Researcher
Researcher
Jr. Researcher

And, of course, Brand New Member.

I should also say that we're still tweaking the numbers here and there, so expect some changing around before we settle.

Last edited Jul 08, 2011 at 02:43PM EDT

Olivia Gulin wrote:

The new titles are based on different kinds of contributions.

Forum Contributions
Conversationalist
Commentator
Gold Member
Lurker

Media Contributions
Archivist
Collector

Entry Contributions
Research Advisor
Resident Researcher
Sr. Researcher
Researcher
Jr. Researcher

And, of course, Brand New Member.

I should also say that we're still tweaking the numbers here and there, so expect some changing around before we settle.

How about the numbers needed to reach? Like 100 posts for this, 20 editorialships for that…

Nice move!

Say, how about publishing the requirements for each title? IMHO, entry contributions should have a certain larger weight when compared to images/videos in determining the title. I'm seeing that almost no one has the Researcher titles. For example, mona_jpn with his/her incredible amount and quality of entries sound better as a Resident Researcher rather than Archivist (for the first one, I'm picturing a crazy lab-coated scientist and for the latter, shy glassed librarian).

I liked the Researcher title more than the Collector title. But eh, it's not the end of the world. Just saiyan!

BTW, Looks like I "predicted" about two titles (close enough). Yes !!!!!

Last edited Jul 08, 2011 at 03:15PM EDT

Hiroman wrote:

Nice move!

Say, how about publishing the requirements for each title? IMHO, entry contributions should have a certain larger weight when compared to images/videos in determining the title. I'm seeing that almost no one has the Researcher titles. For example, mona_jpn with his/her incredible amount and quality of entries sound better as a Resident Researcher rather than Archivist (for the first one, I'm picturing a crazy lab-coated scientist and for the latter, shy glassed librarian).

I liked the Researcher title more than the Collector title. But eh, it's not the end of the world. Just saiyan!

BTW, Looks like I "predicted" about two titles (close enough). Yes !!!!!

This is why we're still figuring out the numbers.

Just a couple of ideas:

- Researcher titles having priority over media titles. I.e., if req's for Archivist and Sr. Researcher are met, grant the Sr. Researcher title. Many people contribute tons of images/videos, but not many people contribute with tons of images/videos AND entries.

- Multiple titles, separated by commas. :P

This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

What I've noticed is that we become Conversationalists at 1000 posts. That's a nice number, but some of us have a lot more than that. I'm going on 7000 posts right now. That's a pretty steep gap. You might want to add 4 or more ranks in between there. Here's what I advise: Add ranks that go to at least twice as much as the person with the highest amount. Chrismen has 4000 edits, so make a rank at 8000 or 9000. (I know Brad Kim has Over 9000, but he's admin, he has his own rank) I have 7000 forum posts, so make a rank at 15000.

The people higher up are the same rank as some of the people further down. We need ranks that fairly represent all members, and ranks that nobody has reached so that there are still ranks to shoot for.

Also, editorships shouldn't count to any kind of rank whatsoever. Being an editor isn't a contribution, editing is.

Katie C. wrote:

What I've noticed is that we become Conversationalists at 1000 posts. That's a nice number, but some of us have a lot more than that. I'm going on 7000 posts right now. That's a pretty steep gap. You might want to add 4 or more ranks in between there. Here's what I advise: Add ranks that go to at least twice as much as the person with the highest amount. Chrismen has 4000 edits, so make a rank at 8000 or 9000. (I know Brad Kim has Over 9000, but he's admin, he has his own rank) I have 7000 forum posts, so make a rank at 15000.

The people higher up are the same rank as some of the people further down. We need ranks that fairly represent all members, and ranks that nobody has reached so that there are still ranks to shoot for.

Also, editorships shouldn't count to any kind of rank whatsoever. Being an editor isn't a contribution, editing is.

That's just making it harder for us newfags.

And the last one would be easily tweaked. You know, with one editorialship, you can save every time you added a period or fixed a word, and with just a few entries you can get >9000 edits. Some people like me likes to save after everything's been done, which means a whole paragraph with only 1 edit.

Last edited Jul 08, 2011 at 05:13PM EDT

Something worth adding is also that some of us are none of the above. You don't often see me posting anywhere, I'm the Wheel of Fortune account, I do Wheel of Fortune.
For people that do Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy, Millionaire, or whatever someone comes up with in the future, maybe we need different, dedicated ranks exclusive for us. I make a lot of posts in the forums, but not on this account. What I do is Wheel of Fortune, so Commentator isn't really fitting.

Time to up my Entry cred to get Researcher.

Also, could we base the new system on multiple areas of contribution? I may be a forum lurker at large, but I do edit entries as well.

It should be based on ratios…?
Such as, "number of forum posts" divided by "total contributions" equals "X". Whichever X is highest, gets you a title in that category depending upon your contributions to that category. Of course some titles should have severe drawbacks on their base numbers, because as with Forum Posts, everyone will have far more of them than any other type of contribution. So perhaps the formula would look like this:
F/A/T = X

F = forum posts
A = average of (F/T) among all users
T = total contributions

One last thing, though.

Maybe one should consider entry quality for the Researcher titles. For example, 10 deadpooled entries have a greater impact than 1 single confirmed entry? Hmmmmmm…

Ok, you'll hate me because these metrics are hard to implement. But still, in the case of entries, IMHO
Quality >>>>> Quantity.

Last edited Jul 08, 2011 at 06:31PM EDT

Hiroman wrote:

One last thing, though.

Maybe one should consider entry quality for the Researcher titles. For example, 10 deadpooled entries have a greater impact than 1 single confirmed entry? Hmmmmmm…

Ok, you'll hate me because these metrics are hard to implement. But still, in the case of entries, IMHO
Quality >>>>> Quantity.

Simple: have all non-mod researchers automatically removed from deadpooled memes. That way, deadpools don't count towards score.

Syndic wrote:

Simple: have all non-mod researchers automatically removed from deadpooled memes. That way, deadpools don't count towards score.

I cannot see how an entry will be left without an author/editor, even if deadpooled. Isn't that field a required one? Ok, maybe create a Mr. DeadPool dummy user and replace them all. But still, it would be such an herculean effort for the poor programmers/admins just for some vanity titles.

Last edited Jul 08, 2011 at 06:37PM EDT

I've always wanted to see a piechart of the types of contributions a user makes so that you can get a feel for what kind of stuff they do the most, at a glance.

Something like this:

Also, I included James' mockup of the proposed Karma update which I love. And I thought it might be cool to list a user's join date rather than just saying "about 2 years ago" for those that REALLY want to get into the newfag/oldfag pissing contests. ;)

I know this is veering off topic from just the titles, but I couldn't resist fleshing some ideas out.

pug on toast wrote:

That's just making it harder for us newfags.

And the last one would be easily tweaked. You know, with one editorialship, you can save every time you added a period or fixed a word, and with just a few entries you can get >9000 edits. Some people like me likes to save after everything's been done, which means a whole paragraph with only 1 edit.

Yeah, edits are funny that way. All edits are different sizes, but worth the same. Maybe we shouldn't do edits, but do it based on the amount of substance added to entries.

Also, my idea doesn't make anything harder, but it's kind of pointless to keep making posts if some of us are already at top rank so soon. 1000 isn't a very high number to stop adding ranks. A few years from now, there will be people with over 25000 posts. It won't really make sense for them to be just at Conversationalist, will it?

any way to change category? I like commenting and all, but i've done a lot of editing too, so i'd kind of like a researcher title.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!