Forums / Discussion / General

234,457 total conversations in 7,808 threads

+ New Thread

2020 - 2030 technology predictions, wants and news thread

Last posted Jan 17, 2020 at 10:40PM EST. Added Dec 31, 2019 at 10:33AM EST
18 posts from 18 users

I want genetically engineered catgirls as soon as possible

On a serious note though, I predict crypto will become more recognized as a legitimate form of currency by more businesses, and thus more governments, in the coming decade. Despite all the get-rich-quick schemes and volatile market periods, it still exploded in popularity at the end of the decade, meaning many more will be able to access it and learn more about it in the future. As long as technology keeps evolving and anonymity is valued, I don't think crypto will be a fad, at least not anytime soon.

Last edited Dec 31, 2019 at 03:22PM EST

If we survive, I predict fusion will finally produce power
and then it’ll be suppressed by big oil
I also predict we’ll be able to use genetic engineering to fix birth defects, and it won’t go into practice because the vocal morons will screetch “REEEEEE LITERALLY HITLER”

Last edited Dec 31, 2019 at 04:22PM EST

Nuclear fusion, Moon bases, quantum computers, discovery of alien life, global distrust of the political system because of the social, economical and environmental problems (plus AIs advanced enough to put the need of politics into challenge), world revolution on both streets and the Internet, geoengineering to minimize the man-made destabilization of Earth's climate.

We'll probably see the first commercial thorium reactor, probably in China, but Canada might beat them to it.
We might also see the first fusion facility whose power generation/consumption ratio exceeds 1:33. Maybe even go to 1:20? Dare I hope for 1:10? Whatever the case, commercial fusion still probably won't be a thing until near 2100.
I expect a boom in commercially-available artificial organs. Maybe BCIs too.
Space travel will likely get cheaper, maybe we'll see the beginning of space-based manufacturing?
On the military side, we might see the introduction of naval railguns, courtesy of either China or the US. Lasers are probably gonna have to wait for the '30s.
Quantum computing R&D will probably speed up, but don't expect any actual quantum computers, decoherence is a bitch.
Solar energy will continue to cheapen, but unless solar satellites become a thing or a super battery is developed, it can only serve as a supplementary source of energy.
We'll almost certainly see the first 1TB flash drive/SD card, maybe we'll also see commercial 5D data storage.

We'll see the B-21 Raider enter service around 2025, it will be the second United States bomber designed primarily around stealth.

I predict that stealth, thrust vectoring, automation and advanced radar capabilities similar to the F-35's will become commonplace among all military aircraft designed going forwards and it will eventually progress to the point where aircraft that lack these capabilities will become obsolete and unable to compete in real combat.

I also hope that The People's Republic of China (Mainland China) becomes destabilized and dissolves before the end of the decade, ending their totalitarian nonsense and returning the mainland to it's rightful government: The Republic of China (Taiwan).

Despite being entangled in government bureaucracy NASA's Artemis Program won't end up being a dud like all other previous programs before it. I want to see the Space Launch System finally take off from the launch pad and the Orion spacecraft fly through the vacuum with a crew on board. I hope NASA is able to get humans back on the Moon before 2030. They also aim to finally launch the James Webb Space Telescope by 2021.

I expect to see SpaceX unveil the Starship spacecraft around the time the first Expedition mission on the Dragon 2 is sent to the ISS. It’s first crewed flight will probably be the DearMoon mission which would be interesting to see. I also hope we start seeing SpaceX send supplies to other celestial bodies like the Moon and Mars, as well as seeing the the Falcon Heavy being used more.

Blue Origin’s New Shepard is cool and all, but I hope it’s utilized more than just as a space tourism spacecraft. It’d be more useful delivering stuff from one place to the other (i.e. San Francisco to Denver, Chicago to New York City, etc.) in my opinion. I’d also like to see New Glenn unveiled and flying before the end of 2030. They’re also expected to launch the Blue Moon mission around the middle of the decade, which would act as a stepping stone for human infrastructure in space.

Also, Boeing hopes to launch their Starliner spacecraft to the ISS with a crew despite not reaching the space station as intended in its uncrewed test flight. I think it’d be safer if they did another uncrewed test flight for the sake of safety.instead of trying to cut corners again. We don’t need another Challenger disaster and they sure as hell don’t want more bad PR.

Other private companies hope to get their own horse in the race. Rocket Lab has been seeing its own success with their Electron Rocket, and it hopes to implement their own system of rocket reusability. Virgin Galactic hopes to start their commercial services of the SpaceShipTwo in 2020, and Virgin Orbit will probably have their Launcher One rocket ready and flying in the same year. Sierra Nevada Corporation's cargo spaceplane Dreamchaser is expected to start flying missions to the ISS, and the United Launch Alliance hopes to launch the Dreamchaser missions on its new Vulcan rocket.

In terms of international space agencies, there is just too much for me to talk about them all, but the biggest developments we know of so far include the Chinese National Space Administration (CNSA) hopes to launch Chang’e 5 to the Moon, their own rover to Mars, and a new space station in the next decade on their Long March rockets. India’s ISRO hopes to send their own probes to other celestial bodies such as the Moon and Mars, as well as develop their own manned space capsule and space station. Russia will be adding more components to their side of the ISS and debut their new Orel / Federatsiya spacecraft to phase out the aging Soyuz.

As for Mars, the ESA and Roscosmos will be launching the Rosalind Franklin Mars rover and Kazachok Mars lander in July of 2020. NASA’s yet to be named Mars 2020 rover will also be launching in the summer. China also hopes to launch their own rover to Mars in 2020. More orbiters will also be sent to Mars from the USA, Japan, India, and the United Arab Emirates.

There’s just so much stuff related to space travel to talk about and I’m sure there’s more to talk about, it’s all so cool! I definitely missed some stuff, but it’s just so cool!!!!!!! YoY
Last edited Jan 01, 2020 at 06:46AM EST

AI research is going to rapidly grow and expand.

Robots, androids and other automata are going to definitely have a rise in upgrades and all around creation.

VR games are going to still keep trickling out but with Half Life: Alyx releasing this year it may be one of the few VR games with a rich story. So less meme and one off VR games and more VR games with longer stories.

Self Driving Cars are going to seen more on the road and with them more people are going to sleep while behind the wheel.

I do a lot of research into environmental and water resources technologies and one innovation I predict become more prominent this decade is generating bioenergy from Human waste.

We have thermal hydrolysis in a few facilities like Blue Plains that prove the value of the technology, we just need to implement on a wide scale. Bioenergy essentially kills two birds with one stone, providing renewable energy and improving water quality.

I predict that Neckbeard tech will be strong for the future but I think soon enough with advancements in artificial limbs and AI brains we will eventually see a world similar to Ghost in the Shell.

Last edited Jan 04, 2020 at 10:23AM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!