Forums / Discussion / General

232,905 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VI: Return of the Poni

Last posted Apr 19, 2013 at 12:20AM EDT. Added Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT
10166 posts from 235 users

burning_phoneix wrote:

Yeah compared to him, your drawings are like the scratchings of a paraplegic chicken.

I’m ashamed to know you now Muumi. May a wild Russian kill you in a drunken rage.

It would be funny, were it not so horribly true.

(Nah, I kid. I know my limitations.)

Last edited Oct 14, 2012 at 07:02AM EDT

Are the spoilers gone? Ok, looks like they're gone for now.

@Mummi getting murdered by a Russian

Ya because Russians always murder those pussy Finns haha! Let's look at some statistics from the Winter War where Russia invaded Finland.

25,904 Finns dead

126,875 Russians dead

So if these statistics are anything to go by, Mummi will kill at least 5 Russians sating his Viking berserker blood-lust before one of them finally manages to slip a dagger between his ribs and sends him to Valhalla.

Huh…well everyone, I think we all better think twice the next time we make fun of Mummi's mediocre super awesome artist skills. Remember that in the veins of every mild mannered Finn flows the blood of a people who 700 years ago made a living importing loot and exporting death.

Last edited Oct 14, 2012 at 10:45AM EDT

@Fifths

Why is it that everyone tends to misspell my name as Mummi, instead of Muumi?

I've said it a thousand times;

Muumi = Moomin

Mummi = Granny

Learn the difference, it could save your life.

Ya because Russians always murder those pussy Finns haha! Let’s look at some statistics from the Winter War where Russia invaded Finland.

After that comment, I kinda felt the need to post this informative pic.

Yes, be aftraid… Be VERY afraid.

Last edited Oct 14, 2012 at 11:33AM EDT

@Muumi thinking he r bad at art

First: That's not a drawing. That's a watercolor painting.

It says so right in the friggin' description.

You're not a watercolor painter. You are a pencil artist.

Second: That uses cell-shading. You use realistic shading.

Your art won't look like that not because "OMFG I SUX" but because you use a different stylistic approach.

Third:

Judging by the range of colors used and the high individual price of watercolor blocks, the artist probably spent a butt-fuck ton of money.

Not only on the painting itself but on the numerous other pieces he/she made before this and in practice.

Your art won't look like his/hers not because you suck. Its just because the resources you have are not as copious or the same.

Not ragging on the artist by saying "OMG IF I HAD RICH PARENTS I COULD DO THAT." He/she did a phenomenal job, but no two artists are the same, no two pieces of art are and no two environments by which art is made are the same.

Stop gushing over others' art and thinking you're bad. The art was made by human hands and, seeing as how cats have yet to learn how to internet, I think you, Muumi, can do art of that quality as you are a human.

Just keep wasting ur life arting and use others' work not as trophies or plaques, but as data to in the grand study of artfaggotry.

tl;dr You don't suk. You're just different. Be patient and just work.

PS Mummi.

Last edited Oct 14, 2012 at 11:47AM EDT

@badsitrep

Well, I never said I wasn't any good. I just said I was seriously jelly of emperpep's skills.

Besides, I tend to appreciate self-depreciative humor, so I might appear to be "angsty", while I'm not. Sarcasm, etc. just doesn't work well over the internet, as you all probably know.

And while that might be a watercolor painting, emperpep uses several different media, including color pencils. And emperpep has made a tutorial where he/she specifically draws with student grade pencils, and copy paper. (might be good for you too, since you're trying to get into arts)

Emperpep's just insanely talented, and it's got nothing to do with the materials used.

@Karnage

Nice to see you pop up here too. When was the last time you even visited the KYM Pony General? I don't think I've seen you around too often anymore.

And look what you guys made me do!

I was supposed to be lurking, and now I notice that I've penta posted!

This is gonna have a bad effect on my elusive and mysterious stats on this thread.

I swear that Twins is doing this on purpose…

Fifths wrote:

Remember that in the veins of every mild mannered Finn flows the blood of a people who 700 years ago made a living importing loot and exporting death.

Not quite.

See, the whole viking episode was more the other Nordic countries' game. Oh, sure, there probably were Finns on the longships, but they were a minority and more often than not Finnish coastal towns ended up on the target list.

We Finns have always been more a bunch of forest bandits than sea raiders. Charging around, screaming battle-cries is all well and good if you've got the armour and weapons for it. We've never had much of those. So instead we fight dirty.

Mummi will kill at least 5 Russians sating his Viking berserker blood-lust before one of them finally manages to slip a dagger between his ribs and sends him to Valhalla.

Actually, he will kill those 5 Russians sating his cold, calculating hunter's instincts, by luring them into the woods, slowly picking them off one-by-one before someone gets lucky and nails him with a stray shot.

That's how we've always fought our wars. Always outnumbered and outequipped, we've had to use stealth and cunning to beat our foes. The results speak for themselves.

Speaking of Finland, I can't seem to find any ponifications of Finnish folklore and its characters, such as Väinämöinen, despite the fairly sizable fanbase (many of whom have artistic inclinations) in this frozen backwater.

Fellow Finns, I am disappoint.

I was gone for the weekend (partially to avoid spoilers). And when I get back I still get spoilers and shit. COME ON, GUISE! GET WITH THE SPOILER TAGS 'N' SHIT! I don't want it to be ruined or anything.

@Finland:

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over being Texan.

But, seriously, Russia has always had casualties. Their soldiers suck dick hard. Their main strategy is giving peasants knives and telling them to charge the enemy line.

@Comics:

I'm not gonna flip out over them. It looks like the artist just crammed as much shit as possible into one page to appeal to the bronies. I'd really prefer they don't do that, to be honest. When WoW went the route of spewing pop-culture references in Cataclysm, it got old, annoying, and stupid fast. I think the comics might go the same route if they overdo it, so I hope they don't.

Queen Chrysalis returning is another thing. If done well, I won't really mind it, but if it's just fan-service I'll skip it.

Muumi wrote:

@Fifths

Why is it that everyone tends to misspell my name as Mummi, instead of Muumi?

I've said it a thousand times;

Muumi = Moomin

Mummi = Granny

Learn the difference, it could save your life.

Ya because Russians always murder those pussy Finns haha! Let’s look at some statistics from the Winter War where Russia invaded Finland.

After that comment, I kinda felt the need to post this informative pic.

Yes, be aftraid… Be VERY afraid.

>Member of the Axis Powers

Twins the Serendipitous Serval wrote:

>Member of the Axis Powers

>smoked a cigar in front of Adolf Hitler
>gave zero fucks

Last edited Oct 14, 2012 at 02:21PM EDT

Twilitlord wrote:

I'd like to request a title change to Finland General

Yeahhh…I'd be more likely to lock it than to change the title.

So just make sure Pony is part of your posts. (Thank you, Windigo.)

Windigo With Salad wrote:

THIS

Seriously, someone needs to make an epic crossover fanfic saga of the main six (and Spike) getting to Moominvalley. Hell, I'd help illustrate it if it were good enough!

Think about all the possibilities.

- Ponies get to Moominvalley during spring, probably guided there by Snufkin, who's coming from the south.

- Twilight meeting Snork, and having the whole science/magic thing going on. Maybe even building a goddamn airship together during the saga.

- Encountering the Groke, Hattifatteners, and The Hobgoblin. I wonder how Fluttershy would handle the Groke (who's a monster, but in reality, just very lonely)?

- Fluttershy hanging out with Snufkin.

- Rarity and Sniff gemhunting.

- Dash, Pinkie, and Little My causing trouble and pranking people.

- Twilight befriending Alice (and maybe the Witch).

- Rarity meeting Fillyjonk, and ultimately getting sick of her small mindedness.

- Long adventure beyond the Lonely Mountains with the cast of both shows.

- Ultimately the main six could finally return home just as the winter comes, and when Snufkin leaves for the south once again.

Please someone, make that happen. That'd be SO AWESOME.

…I think I got a bit carried away again…

…Sorry.

And most of you probably don't even know what the hell I'm talking about anyway.

Last edited Oct 14, 2012 at 05:27PM EDT

Trying to keep things on track here…

Since season 3 is coming up soon, I've started rewatching all the episodes. I've seen them all before so I don't just sit down and watch. I'm always doing something like lifting weights or throwing darts.

Does anyone else here do something like that?

Fifths wrote:

Are the spoilers gone? Ok, looks like they're gone for now.

@Mummi getting murdered by a Russian

Ya because Russians always murder those pussy Finns haha! Let's look at some statistics from the Winter War where Russia invaded Finland.

25,904 Finns dead

126,875 Russians dead

So if these statistics are anything to go by, Mummi will kill at least 5 Russians sating his Viking berserker blood-lust before one of them finally manages to slip a dagger between his ribs and sends him to Valhalla.

Huh…well everyone, I think we all better think twice the next time we make fun of Mummi's mediocre super awesome artist skills. Remember that in the veins of every mild mannered Finn flows the blood of a people who 700 years ago made a living importing loot and exporting death.

That was back in the old days when Finns had super badasses like Simo Hahya, Reino Lehväslaiho and Erkki Halonen.

Nowadays, Finns are too busy making Angry Bird theme parks while making phones to play said Angry birds game on it and then probably chill in a Sauna or some shit.

Frankly, all these Scandinavian countries have went non-badass after the Napoleonic era. At least you Finns didn't fall as bad as those Swedes:

Poor, Poor fuckers.

To keep this pony related, you guys know that Derpy thing that EqD posted recently?

http://www.roborg.co.uk/derpy/index2.html

I didn't like it actually. I'm being dead serious here, it was incredibly wrong.
You couldn't feed her the muffin, it just felt cruel at that point.

Disty wrote:

Trying to keep things on track here…

Since season 3 is coming up soon, I've started rewatching all the episodes. I've seen them all before so I don't just sit down and watch. I'm always doing something like lifting weights or throwing darts.

Does anyone else here do something like that?

Yeah. When I'm doing chores, I'll usually play episodes. However, rewatching the episodes all of the way through (including The Cutie Pox) would be nice.

However, if I'm cleaning my place up, that means I have free time on my hands. Unfortunately, my apartment's been a mess, which means…

I've don't have much free time on my hands. Geez, it'll be nice to just have to worry about one job again. Internship was nice. Get home and do what I want without having to worry about anything else. Internship, project, thesis, job hunting, and research where all of them are high priority is not.

Anyway, my complaining aside, I really should. I've had a few moments where I remembered why the show hooked me so much. It was an odd sort of nostalgia.

Fifths wrote:

Can't even spell Daring Do's name right (but seriously, fuck that hyphen though. Literally two out of every one people agree), so it's clearly not legit. Go Wonderbolts.

Last edited Oct 15, 2012 at 03:55AM EDT

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

Can someone tell me what Fifths image was before 4chan kicked his hotlink right in the balls? All I can see is "4chan.org"

Err….I see it just fine.

It's Rainbow Dash looking at two posters: One for a Daring-Do book signing and another for a Wonderbolts show, both scheduled at the same time.

Fifths wrote:

RD: Twilight? You think you can get some kind of time travel spell working for me? Or at least a well timed Teleport? I need it to see both these events at once!
TS: Depends… How fast can you travel between Canterlot and Cloudsdale? You might be able to do it during the break.
RD: (^_^); Well… I'm still a few minutes short… So I'll still need a boost.
TS: -I'll get the Jetpack.

Last edited Oct 15, 2012 at 05:16AM EDT

Twilitlord wrote:

I'm tempted, guys… I'm tempted…

lol I'm quoting myself.

Well, I've thought it over, and I'm going to my local Hot Topic to try to get it in a couple minutes. (I hate going into that store, though, I still associate it with emo trash over bronies, but whatever.) If they don't have it, I'll get it online, but that's five bucks shipping I'd rather not pay. See you guys in a bit, hopefully with a 5 1/2 inch Rainbow Dash!

@Comics
I wasn't completly thrilled by the MLP comics before, but the urge to obtain them has started to rise after seeing those extracts.

I think, that most of the panels are going to look like this, because the one, that has been posted before with all those tiny details, characters and references is just too much. From my comic understanding such large and detailed panels are usually used in the beginnig/end or as a highlight in the middle. You just couldn't tell a story if every panel would look like this, as it is far too distracting.

A small game in Ponygeneral

I visited my parents this weekend and was greeted by my lil sister who told me that she had a gift for me. I knew that smile and i knew at once that it was a ponu toy. I am actually not a huge fan of the toys, because they are not show accurate, the material is kind of strange and they have a certain uncanny feeling to it. Nevertheless the pony is now standing on my desk^^

• Coming to the game:
    At first i thaught about posting a simple pic, but then the idea of a good old guessing game hit me. So i am posting pictures that show parts/details of the toy and you can guess what sort of pony toy and which pony she gave to me. Besides there will be some kind of reward in the end for the winner! No it won't be this specific toy;)

I hope that i didn't make it too easy, it is supposed to be a small challenge at least and yes, it is most certainly a very dangerous toy. Now i know why you can't have Kinder surpises, all those danger signs do not fit on one egg…

Last edited Oct 15, 2012 at 04:33PM EDT

Twilitlord wrote:

lol I'm quoting myself.

Well, I've thought it over, and I'm going to my local Hot Topic to try to get it in a couple minutes. (I hate going into that store, though, I still associate it with emo trash over bronies, but whatever.) If they don't have it, I'll get it online, but that's five bucks shipping I'd rather not pay. See you guys in a bit, hopefully with a 5 1/2 inch Rainbow Dash!

Five bucks shipping?

Over Here, it takes 20 bucks shipping! Meaning one has to pay about 40 total!

… One of the few downsides to living in Australia.

-And I still bought it!

THEY HAD IT!

It was actually in that day's shipment, so they weren't even on the shelf yet. The guy brought out a Derpy and a Dash (I knew Derpy was an option), but for a Dash fan, it wasn't really a choice.

Here's a size comparison between a blindbag, a brushable, a Zecora and a Vinyl, note that the vinyl figure is about a centimeter from the bottom of the box:

I feel like I should leave her boxed for value (besides, the packaging isn't damaged like my Zecora's was), but I like to be able to touch them, and I don't even know if I would have any intention of selling her. Opinions?

Also, a discussion topic – what makes you like your best pony/other ponies? I'm not sure what really attracts me to Rainbow Dash, but I've thought of a reason why Twilight must be such a close second for me. In my leadership class, we recently did the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) test, or at least a shortened version that gives a rough result, and I came out as an INTP (here's an explanation. Yes, I know, it's Wikipedia, but it's the most concise one I've found), which I totally agree with. Now here's the thing: my totally, absolutely expert psychological analysis of Twilight leads me to conclude that Twilight is an INTJ, which is extremely close to my personality type; the main difference is that Js are a lot more structured than Ps, like with Twilight's love of lists. I guess, psychologically, I just kind of click with her.

What about you guys? Why do you really like certain ponies? And don't worry, you don't need to go that deep.

What about you guys? Why do you really like certain ponies?

I like characters based on how they're able to entertain me in a show or story. But I guess this is a common thing.

I'm also a fan of random, non-explainable, piano on head, type of humor. And if there's one character in MLP that is able to appeal to that type of humor, it's Pinkie Pie. I also like Pinkie's overall happy go lucky personality, not giving a fuck about anything. Add one and one, and you have Pinkie parties, ergo the reason she's my favorite pony.

My least favorite main six is AJ, as she doesn't directly entertain the viewers as often as the other characters. She isn't directly involved with the episode as much as the other characters, keeping her on the sidelines beside the small amount of AJ episodes she has. Following AJ come RD and Fluttershy. With Rainbow Dash the entertainment factor in the episodes that center around her mainly come from exploiting her pride and bitchness, character types I dislike. Fluttershy has to rely on alternate personalities, making the main personality kinda bland to me. (Don't misunderstand me here, I still like them, but out of the main six they just lose.)

Which leaves us to Rarity and Twilight. Like RD, the episodes that center around them use the character features we already knew of them. But unlike RD, I don't dislike the result there. Twilight's punctuation and wanting to know the facts gives hilarious results. Rarity on the other hand can create great drama, but in a funny way (although it does annoy me at times).

Going back to my reason for having Pinkie Pie as my favorite pony, it also explains why I like Derpy. Derpy's personality in art rellies on clumsiness and her overall derp-factor. Creating random and hilarious results, same as with Pinkie but in a more unexpected way.

Last edited Oct 15, 2012 at 05:41PM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

What about you guys? Why do you really like certain ponies?

I like characters based on how they're able to entertain me in a show or story. But I guess this is a common thing.

I'm also a fan of random, non-explainable, piano on head, type of humor. And if there's one character in MLP that is able to appeal to that type of humor, it's Pinkie Pie. I also like Pinkie's overall happy go lucky personality, not giving a fuck about anything. Add one and one, and you have Pinkie parties, ergo the reason she's my favorite pony.

My least favorite main six is AJ, as she doesn't directly entertain the viewers as often as the other characters. She isn't directly involved with the episode as much as the other characters, keeping her on the sidelines beside the small amount of AJ episodes she has. Following AJ come RD and Fluttershy. With Rainbow Dash the entertainment factor in the episodes that center around her mainly come from exploiting her pride and bitchness, character types I dislike. Fluttershy has to rely on alternate personalities, making the main personality kinda bland to me. (Don't misunderstand me here, I still like them, but out of the main six they just lose.)

Which leaves us to Rarity and Twilight. Like RD, the episodes that center around them use the character features we already knew of them. But unlike RD, I don't dislike the result there. Twilight's punctuation and wanting to know the facts gives hilarious results. Rarity on the other hand can create great drama, but in a funny way (although it does annoy me at times).

Going back to my reason for having Pinkie Pie as my favorite pony, it also explains why I like Derpy. Derpy's personality in art rellies on clumsiness and her overall derp-factor. Creating random and hilarious results, same as with Pinkie but in a more unexpected way.

You don't like Rainbow Dash?

Okay, that's fine, but now I have to give my opinion of her…

RD reminds me of an old anime archetype that I hold dear, that all too often gets forgotten in recent times. She's the hot headed Hero, and although she has moments of calm, or outright taking a nap; the moment she finds something she believes in to fight for, she will not stop until it is acomplished, and you can tell when she's in that state from miles away.

I'm the subdued mirror of her, the main difference between her and me is she's Extroverted, and I'm more introverted (until I get excited by whatever it is I hold close to my heart). I get the feeling that would make her a great way to awaken my enthusiasm; and drive me to action.

And then there's the main way she appeals to me; we both want to be Heroes: remember the mysterious mare do well episode? She spent half the episode trying to prove to everyone (Including herself) that she's a hero. And that's a feeling I've struggled with my whole life. And even more interesting is that we both have unrealistic expectations of what being a hero means.

I'm sure I could say more, but there is one symbol that sums it up… If it will show up.

<3

Luna Protege wrote:

You don't like Rainbow Dash?

Okay, that's fine, but now I have to give my opinion of her…

RD reminds me of an old anime archetype that I hold dear, that all too often gets forgotten in recent times. She's the hot headed Hero, and although she has moments of calm, or outright taking a nap; the moment she finds something she believes in to fight for, she will not stop until it is acomplished, and you can tell when she's in that state from miles away.

I'm the subdued mirror of her, the main difference between her and me is she's Extroverted, and I'm more introverted (until I get excited by whatever it is I hold close to my heart). I get the feeling that would make her a great way to awaken my enthusiasm; and drive me to action.

And then there's the main way she appeals to me; we both want to be Heroes: remember the mysterious mare do well episode? She spent half the episode trying to prove to everyone (Including herself) that she's a hero. And that's a feeling I've struggled with my whole life. And even more interesting is that we both have unrealistic expectations of what being a hero means.

I'm sure I could say more, but there is one symbol that sums it up… If it will show up.

<3

Go jump off a cliff.
SHE'S MINE, NOW STAY AWAY OR I WILL USE FORCE TO… FORCIBLY REMOVE YOU FROM THIS RANDOM BATTLEGROUND THAT WE ARE BOTH ON FOR SOME STRANGE REASON.
Anyways, EN GARDE!

Ahem, I will reply to your question right now.
To me, Rainbow Dash is kind of like my split personality. I get hot-headed at times, not thinking through things mostly, I cheat in order to win, but I don't do that as much, as I've become more sportsmanship-like during the past few years. She has many attributes I share, but some that are opposite of what I have. I am loyal to my friends and I never back down on a fight.

Last edited Oct 15, 2012 at 08:41PM EDT

@Phoneix

Err….I see it just fine.

What mockery is this? 4chan lets everyone else see the image, but for me it just redirects me to a sentence saying "4chan.org" and that's it. It's totally blocking me from the image

Why am I being singled out by 4chan!?

@Fifths
Speaking of jet-packs, one of the earliest Scootaloo images I came across that really caught my attention was this: LINK TO SAVE SPACE
Still love it!

@Twilitlord
So, wait… they had Derpy and you chose to not get her?
Get your ass back to that store right now, mister!
If you hadn't heard, that Derpy figure was advertised on EQD the other day and within an hour or two, Hot Topic's site was sold out.
Even if you don't want her for yourself, you should pick one up to sell or give away to someone who wasn't able to get one themselves.
Otherwise, their only option is to buy them off of eBay where they are selling for 3,4, or 5 times their standard price.

Also, look what I got today, too!

@Best pony stuff
Ah, more defenses for our choices of pony.
Fun!
Dash is my fave of the main six and it seems that Zero shares a number of my reasons for that.
I love her… conviction, I guess.
Her ability to stand up and take decisive action in defense of what she believes.
She's not always right or successful, but the passion is what draws me to her.
That defintely factors into why I like Scootaloo so much, too.
We are both admirers of Dash!

I would say that I like Scootaloo for many of the same reasons that I like Dash, but with the added factor of being both cuter and less adept.
I love how she throws her whole heart into every activity and despite her continuous failure, never seems to lose her ambition.
It is extremely endearing.

@Classifying Personalities
Pretty much all of the older posters here have probably done this already, but for you newer guys, try taking the Bronyland Personality Quiz.
It will ask you questions and line you up with the main 6 to see where your own personality falls.
Here's mine:

As you can see, despite my liking RD, I actually have very little in common with her.
I'm a Twilight with heavy doses of Fluttershy! (My second and third favorites, btw.)

Last edited Oct 15, 2012 at 09:05PM EDT

Why do I like certain ponies?

Rev up those eyes! I'm 'bout to TL;DR!

I guess I should start with my favorite, Princess Celestia, given the nature of the question. My thoughts on her are a bit more complex than I can explain. She seems to be the dominant mother figure of the entire cast. She's also the main authority figure and tends to be portrayed as a good one, to some degree. She's got the balls to defend her people, tough maybe not the power (at least not all the time), and it shows she genuinely cares. Maybe Freud was right (non-sexually), and I just find motherly characters to be the best.

But that's scratching the surface. She seems to be a tragic character. As opposed to the tyrant light she is often (jokingly) portrayed in, I tend to think she had to go through a shit-ton. She had to witness her sister turning, had to banish her for a thousand years herself, and wait the entire time to meet her sister once more. She had to plan, wait, and bide, all because she had to entrap her sibling. Since I have a brother, I know shit like that is rough. Times when we don't see each other often are a bit rough, but a thousand years would be one hell of a lot of torture. Probably worse if I knew it was my fault, to some degree, or at least thought as much. So, to see Celestia still have a sense of humor (and sanity) is fairly impressive, in my opinion.

Some fan-made stuff that follows a very canon portrayal also helped sway me, as well. Eternal is a large one, as it was the one that initially changed my mind. A more recent one occurring after she was already my favorite pony is

one badass song. I feel the song in particular scratches on Celestia's side of the conflict with Luna. I'd be hella depressed if I were in her shoes.

Now, enough about best pony, onto the next:

Sweetie Belle. First of all, she's adorable. Second of all, she's adorable. Third of all, voice cracks. Now, to clarify, she's one (just one) of the reasons I want to have a daughter if when I have a family. She also reminds me of Bubbles (best Powerpuff Girl) from Powerpuff Girls, which is a big part of my childhood. Beyond that, I also like how the show portrayed her. She's sweet to the extent that she becomes troublesome, but she means well. It's hardly to really pinpoint exactly why I like her so much, but that gives you an idea.

Rarity! I like her because she's all about shattering expectations. Admit it, you thought she would be a cliche, annoying girly-girl with no real personality when you first saw her. Look into your heart, you know it to be true. She winds up shattering that, of course. She's one of the more complex characters with a lot of dimensions. Rarity has to balance her generosity with her greed. She wants to be successful, popular, and respected, but that sometimes requires sacrifices in something she values. Her generosity shines in 'Suited for Success', but greed shows up in 'Sweet and Elite', when she decided to go for what she wanted, before the end. She's the kind of complex character that makes a good story. Similar to Celestia, a fan-work, Simply Rarity, put her character in perspective. I don't swear to it as her personality or past, but I do think that it gives a fair presentation of how her concept works. Her voice actor is also a major part of it, as well. Tabitha St. Germain delivers lines well, with a little more 'oomph' than the other VAs.

Flutters would be next. Like Rarity, she has hidden complexities and dimensions. She seems like a shallow Yellowquiet at first, but the moments when the inner assertiveness that is very present comes out to balance her shyness, she shines. 'Dragonshy' and 'The Stare Master' are good examples, as they show how her loyalty to her friends and her courage sometimes overwhelm her anxiety. Courage the Cowardly Dog is similar, as he gets scared by most things he encounters, but his love for those he cares for is stronger than his fear. They're both characters that are deeper than they seem to be, in the end. 'Putting Your Hoof Down' is an example I'm hesitant to use, as I think it was a bit overdone and done too quickly. She didn't have much of a smooth transition to the assertiveness, in my opinion, but I guess Iron Will is just that awesome. I thought that the episode kind of undermined the point behind her assertiveness. It was something that showed that you should never doubt your friends, no matter how meek, as they may be strongest when you need them most. Also, Fluttershy is adorable and squeaks :3

Next I'd say is Spike. I like him as he's a lot more complex than he seems at the surface. He serves as the voice of reason just as easily as a panicked citizen. He slips up a lot, and it usually winds up causing trouble, but he just as often winds up fixing (or trying to fix) problems. He also has a believable desire to be loved and needed, as he's kind of a freak (dragon-pony). Initially I though his crush on Rarity was a bit annoying, but eventually the writers kicked it into gear and it's less overwhelming, but more powerful. It's less obvious, as a crush should be.

Redneckapples, now. She's sometimes called a background pony as she's not present often, and is left out of the spotlight when she is. Even in her own episodes, she is sometimes overshadowed (Derpy…). However, that somehow seems to fit her character. Thinking about it, Redneckapples seems the type to let her friends be in the spotlight. I sometimes think she's more loyal than Rainbow Dash, too, as she's there when her friends need her (I think. I forget) and offers a shoulder to lean on. She's not brash like Rainbow Dash, over-the-top like Pinkie, complex like Rarity, or anything else. Redneckapples is just the kind of character that's great because she's the lightning rod of all the dysfunction. Like a big sister. Honestly, I'd say she's the second authority figure, under Celestia. I find her a very well-done character that I wish got a helluva lot more screen time.

I'd go on, but… yeah.

@Parrot: Hey, I would have gotten Derpy if I could have. Thing is, I already spent most of my two weeks' pay on Borderlands and other miscellaneous essential items. I had to hesitate about even buying one, as I'll have forty bucks till next Friday (Before you ask, I make about 200 bucks for two weeks, as I work barely over KS minimum for about 15-20 hours a week). Don't get me wrong, I can do that fairly easy; that's the advantage of having all of your meals a week save one payed for in your housing fee. Still, I could only do one for now. I'll probably go back and get Derpy in two weeks.

On that note, one of the employees called Derpy "googly-eyes" or something when I said I was getting Dash. I gave her such a stare…

As for the personality test, It looks like a lot of obvious traits of the Mane 6, with a bit of Myers-Briggs thrown in as well. I'll have to check it out sometime.

Last edited Oct 15, 2012 at 09:29PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!