Forums / Discussion / General

232,912 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

What bothers you the most about know your meme

Last posted Oct 27, 2012 at 05:27PM EDT. Added Sep 29, 2012 at 03:30PM EDT
214 posts from 69 users

I like this site a lot but it's not perfect, what bothers me the most is that when i get thumbs ups or thumbs down on my images or comments or videos and it doesn't effect my karma, only the forums effect karma, why is it like that?!

#1 wrote:

I like this site a lot but it's not perfect, what bothers me the most is that when i get thumbs ups or thumbs down on my images or comments or videos and it doesn't effect my karma, only the forums effect karma, why is it like that?!

Because the forums are the holy grail of this site. (Especially JFF) :)))

You must earn the respect of the most awesome members (conversationalists). ><

But why don't you just participate in the forums more often?

also I second this being moved to general mods and staff don't really approve of threads like this because although site related, it still lacks the seriousness of benefiting the site.

I do think that thumbs up on images, videos, and comment should have a its own tally of points. But considering that this site still has one coder (I assume) its more of a head ache for him to bring a few members that satisfaction. Also it brings potential for this being more of a "big dick" contest than just enjoying the fact you made contributions and lulz to many. We'll leave that to funnyjunk, reddit, imgur, ..ect

Last edited Sep 29, 2012 at 06:24PM EDT

Move'd. On topic though, I don't like how people will bandwagon-vote on posts. Admit it, when you see a post with like, 23 karma, you just +1 it without even reading. Same goes for downvotes.

Jack Candle wrote:

Move'd. On topic though, I don't like how people will bandwagon-vote on posts. Admit it, when you see a post with like, 23 karma, you just +1 it without even reading. Same goes for downvotes.

I agree, from seeing Kalmo go from 25 to +60 karma on the family photo I for some reason yield to upvoting him donno why. – still love u kalmy

Last edited Sep 29, 2012 at 07:38PM EDT

Jack Candle wrote:

I couldn't have put it better myself.

Brad's articles. It seems to me that these are for whatever reason, the standards applied to other entries don't apply. In particular, I've seen him push through advice animals that are only a few days old and solely exist on Reddit.

Jack Candle wrote:

I'll never upvote or downvote anything without at least skimming it first.

Anyways, what probably bugs me the most are stupid threads. This one isn't, but there tend to be a lot of bad ones on a daily basis.

@Jack

I don't know about others here but I use the karma buttons based on strict policy.

Downvotes are for spam, trolling, and epic stupidity.
Upvotes are for creative content, constructive input and excellent idea's

Those criteria (and other rules) must be met before I vote on anything. Simply being "already massively voted on" is not one of my criteria

Anyway, the only thing that annoys me on KYM are users who treat deadpooling like it's another downvote button but I think I've said enough on that particular subject already and it's not like that's KYM's problem anyway

If we are talking about things that are directly site-related then it would have to be the lack of BB forum tools.

I can't think of anything major that needs addressing

@Blue Screen

The "deadpool" thing gets me annoyed. I already brought this up a lot of times but hate it when people simply say "deadpool" without doing research on the supposed meme. It also gets me more annoyed when they want to "deadpool" it because they simply don't like it.

Saying "-1 deadpool" does absolutely nothing and it just clutters the comment section like a stain.

…I'll shut up now.

The most annoying thing is when newbies think that you can create your own meme here and think it will instantly become an internet sensation. That's not how it works here. It's like Wikipedia where you make an entry of a REAL meme. Sort of like that, only funnier.

MDFification wrote:

Brad's articles. It seems to me that these are for whatever reason, the standards applied to other entries don't apply. In particular, I've seen him push through advice animals that are only a few days old and solely exist on Reddit.

While I agree with this, I think it's unfair, at least to some extent, to single out Brad. What bothers me more is how KYM focuses a lot on new trends while neglecting a lot of older, more established trends and subcultures. This is reflected in the entries; entries for brand-new trends tend to be well-written and garner lots of attention, while many older entries, ESPECIALLY subculture ones, are left neglected. While I do agree that it's important for KYM to stay on top of internet trends (hence why I can't fault Brad for doing his job), I think there needs to be balance between the new and the old. That's probably my biggest issue with KYM as a site.

As I said before, mob mentality when it comes to +/- karma is probably my biggest issue with the community. So thank you, Citation, and all the other users who read posts before clicking the little red button.

opspe wrote:

While I agree with this, I think it's unfair, at least to some extent, to single out Brad. What bothers me more is how KYM focuses a lot on new trends while neglecting a lot of older, more established trends and subcultures. This is reflected in the entries; entries for brand-new trends tend to be well-written and garner lots of attention, while many older entries, ESPECIALLY subculture ones, are left neglected. While I do agree that it's important for KYM to stay on top of internet trends (hence why I can't fault Brad for doing his job), I think there needs to be balance between the new and the old. That's probably my biggest issue with KYM as a site.

As I said before, mob mentality when it comes to +/- karma is probably my biggest issue with the community. So thank you, Citation, and all the other users who read posts before clicking the little red button.

I would answer this by saying that the reason we tend to focus on the newer, popular trends is because they get us more attention. I think of this site as a Remora. We attach on to a trend, maybe a "Meme-shark," or a "subculture whale," (this is really stupid isn't it?) and ride along with it until it slows down, at which point we find something else to attach on to. All that stuff on the front page is chosen more or less at random, but also because the admins think it might garner a lot of attention.

This site, for better or worse, is a business. We try to balance out the money-making aspect and the research, but in the end, the admins gotta eat, and they're going to focus on what helps the most with paying the bills. In the end, the entry on Gangnam Style is going to get more hits than the entry on Dragon Dildos.

At least that's the way I see it.

As for what's wrong with the site, I feel like the episodes could be better.

opspe wrote:

Agreed. I remember when I joined, All you really needed was a small paragraph on what the meme was, some spread, and a graph. Throw some pics in the article if it's a macro (the galleries were a lot different back then). Now, the articles are much more detailed and polished, and it's painful to look at an old article. Most of the old articles are neglected and horribly short, written in internet slang (as opposed to today's professional prose) and are in severe need of upkeep, but I know it will never happen, even with the classics that deserve it.

I got irritated when other users hate each other just because of what fandoms they are associated with and interests that they have. The other thing is the karma system. I know that it was meant to help users moderate they're posting habits but it doesn't really do anything other than make others whore over it.

@McCain

Users the have autoplay songs on their profile.

That gets on my nerve as well because it eats at my data cap unnecessarily. Some people live in countries where internet access costs money and Youtube video's are a huge data hog. I can't really afford to have a video loading for every profile I come across. (That, and I'm not a fan of all music forms)

I thank those who have autoplay video's but leave them out in the open where I can right click and select "stop download"

I loathe people who hide autoplay videos in a tiny 1×1 frame in a corner of their profile. That leaves me scrambling for my developer tools so I can find the goddam thing and delete it of the the face of the page.

Some days are good, some days are bad. For lack of a better sentence.

Some days have a lack of actually good threads or a lack of good discussion in the threads that are there. That's a tad annoying.

If there's anything I don't like about the forums, it's how much the older and more respected members can get away with. If me or someone else were to make a thread of lesser quality, the thread would be filled with the usual "quality" comments. If a more respected member did it, it's considered to be hilarious. Or if I were to flood JFF with spam threads, there's a good chance I would be banned. If a "site veteran" does it, he gets a slap on the wrist and is told not to do it again.

Fridge wrote:

I would answer this by saying that the reason we tend to focus on the newer, popular trends is because they get us more attention. I think of this site as a Remora. We attach on to a trend, maybe a "Meme-shark," or a "subculture whale," (this is really stupid isn't it?) and ride along with it until it slows down, at which point we find something else to attach on to. All that stuff on the front page is chosen more or less at random, but also because the admins think it might garner a lot of attention.

This site, for better or worse, is a business. We try to balance out the money-making aspect and the research, but in the end, the admins gotta eat, and they're going to focus on what helps the most with paying the bills. In the end, the entry on Gangnam Style is going to get more hits than the entry on Dragon Dildos.

At least that's the way I see it.

As for what's wrong with the site, I feel like the episodes could be better.

Yeah, it's probably wrong to single out Brad. The reason I do so is because I can easily identify a set of clear examples in some of his entries. The phenomenon is in no way limited to him or centered around him.

Muffins wrote:

If there's anything I don't like about the forums, it's how much the older and more respected members can get away with. If me or someone else were to make a thread of lesser quality, the thread would be filled with the usual "quality" comments. If a more respected member did it, it's considered to be hilarious. Or if I were to flood JFF with spam threads, there's a good chance I would be banned. If a "site veteran" does it, he gets a slap on the wrist and is told not to do it again.

Going to give that a THIS.

Tomberry just posted a thread promoting his new blog. The only reason why I didn't lock it and redirect it to the other blog thread is because this one seems to be specific to tumblr. But also because he'd just open it back up if I tried that (or someone else would have), or I would have gotten grief from him.

Besides, I think that if one person makes a thread specific to himself, then why can't other users? In a way, it's like the (somewhat slowed) General thread flood we're having except that it's blatantly whoring, which makes it worse.

In another instance, Jostin posted a thread saying that he had come back. I think that the only user that should be able to do that would be Jamie Dubs. Someone had said that it was a way to introduce everyone, but we have a New Members thread and we had one started by Kipp/Pan the Man where people were introducing themselves to him.

So it was a bit whoring and redundant.

But if you've got that upper mod title, you do get away with stuff. I would never suggest we go to an anonymous set-up, but I do think moderators need to remember that we can't do stuff that's in poor form or against the rules just because we're enforcing the rules.

Somewhat related, I'm not sure why this is in General. These sound more like suggestions specific to the site, and that screams "Site-Related." (Heck, there's a suggestions thread.)

I don't think that trying to get a thread more views merits it being moved, but other mods tend to think that it should, so I won't press the issue.

Last edited Sep 30, 2012 at 12:04PM EDT
Tomberry just posted a thread promoting his new blog. The only reason why I didn’t lock it and redirect it to the other blog thread is because this one seems to be specific to tumblr. But also because he’d just open it back up if I tried that (or someone else would have), or I would have gotten grief from him.

I wouldn't but it's not a tumblr and it's not like I did it the way angrypwnzer did (several threads about his blog).

The main thing that bothers me about this site are the people who comment on an article that is already deadpooled, but they still say "+1 Deadpool" anyways. Another thing that annoys me is if they comment on an entry and ask "Why is this trending?" And then it trends longer than necessary. I could list some more examples similar to this, but I feel as if I've already made my point.

The confirmation of articles that don’t deserve it and the fact that there are still ancient articles on submission that deserve confirmation, and the advice animal circle jerk that seems to be going on as of late. For example:

Forever resentful mother: confirmed
Spongebob Squarepants: submission

wat

On a more positive note, I guess, I do like some of the community. There’s some really awesome people who I feel like I really relate to on this site and even some of the trolls are highly amusing.

angstyHoodie wrote:

Users the have autoplay songs on their profile.

You'd probably hate me then, but there are people who've said that they visit my profile solely for the music that I put up so I do it for them.

TehRussBus wrote:

You'd probably hate me then, but there are people who've said that they visit my profile solely for the music that I put up so I do it for them.

There's a love/hate relationship I have with that.

One the one hand, it's your own profile. If a person doesn't like it, then they don't have to go to your profile.

However, I do not like a lot of users' music, so if I have to go their to respond to them on their wall, I like to have the option to pause the music/turn it off. I'd rather not deal with music I don't like while typing a suggestion for them.

And even with the option to turn off music, it can get annoying to have a dialogue with a user on their walls and have to turn off their music every single time you go there.

So it's a matter of being considerate/overly considerate and having a right to your own personalized tastes/being inconsiderate.

Since I check my wall fairly often, I like to have the music autoplay for a while, but I usually take the tag that makes it autoplay out after a while so that people don't have to hear my tastes in music all of the time. When I change the music, I add the autoplay tag back in for a day or two, and then take it out again.

But yes. That can bother me.

Verbose wrote:

There's a love/hate relationship I have with that.

One the one hand, it's your own profile. If a person doesn't like it, then they don't have to go to your profile.

However, I do not like a lot of users' music, so if I have to go their to respond to them on their wall, I like to have the option to pause the music/turn it off. I'd rather not deal with music I don't like while typing a suggestion for them.

And even with the option to turn off music, it can get annoying to have a dialogue with a user on their walls and have to turn off their music every single time you go there.

So it's a matter of being considerate/overly considerate and having a right to your own personalized tastes/being inconsiderate.

Since I check my wall fairly often, I like to have the music autoplay for a while, but I usually take the tag that makes it autoplay out after a while so that people don't have to hear my tastes in music all of the time. When I change the music, I add the autoplay tag back in for a day or two, and then take it out again.

But yes. That can bother me.

>Mfw I have the Futurama theme playing on a loop on autoplay with a window size of 1 so you can't turn it off

EDIT: I just checked and the loop is gone. Wtf, that ruins the whole thing.

EDIT2: Fixed it! Now you can all listen to sweet Futurama-y goodness automatically! :D

Last edited Sep 30, 2012 at 02:01PM EDT

Blind complaining on topics users can even help in fixing themselves.

It bothers me that whenever someone's bothered with a certain aspect of the site, the first thing they tend to do is complain about it and then request others to fix it. Sure, I understand that those without a moderator title can't fix everything. But that shouldn't be an excuse to shamelessly complain about everything. Post your arguments in that thread in a calm and objective way and you have a bigger chance that I or others read them and respond then a dumb post reading "OP smells like poo".

Muffins wrote:

If there’s anything I don’t like about the forums, it’s how much the older and more respected members can get away with. If me or someone else were to make a thread of lesser quality, the thread would be filled with the usual “quality” comments. If a more respected member did it, it’s considered to be hilarious. Or if I were to flood JFF with spam threads, there’s a good chance I would be banned. If a “site veteran” does it, he gets a slap on the wrist and is told not to do it again.

Whenever a thread like that pops up created by an older member, leave this comment there. Sure, members will blindly downvote you for stupid reasons (because you're talking about their old unanswered love interest in a negative way), but I'm pretty sure I'll most likely upvote you for this. I hate to support the oldfag mentality, something most of us here know all too well, so chances are I'll support your post.

Tomberry wrote:

I wouldn’t but it’s not a tumblr and it’s not like I did it the way angrypwnzer did (several threads about his blog).

Fact remains that you still shamelessly advertised your own blog. Same with Verbose, the only reason I let it stay was because you're a mod. If it was a user, even someone on the levels of Natsuru, I'd lock it without question. We permaban people who advertise products, so why should we allow mod threads that advertise blogs?

Adam wrote:

Oh I’m being serious alright, and don’t you dare laugh harder.

No further comment needed. If you go on the internet expecting everyone to share your opinion, you're gonna have a bad time.

Almost Everyone wrote:

I hate the quality of the threads these days.

You're not helping with that, you're just being an annoyance with your complaints. Just because you don't make threads yourself, doesn't mean you have the right to complain about the quality of others.

The problem here is the lack of good threads. Those that make bad threads, don't make good threads. Simple as that. Those that make no threads, still don't make good threads either.

Last edited Sep 30, 2012 at 05:57PM EDT
In another instance, Jostin posted a thread saying that he had come back. I think that the only user that should be able to do that would be Jamie Dubs.

Jaime, Yatta, Mike Rugnetta – pretty much any of the older staff would be fine in that case, but I honestly doubt that would happen. I honestly think they would just lurk or start posting again if they had any interest in the site. Even in the case of self-promotion, that would be rare. Has Mike ever made a thread asking us to watch PBS Idea Channel? No, he lets the show speak for itself, and lets it spread around by itself. I think it's a little unprofessional to try to self promote such a thing, and I think that's why we don't see it.

In my opinion, I think it takes an overactive ego to even think of making an "I'm back" or "I'm leaving" thread. The people who make them seem to think that they possess a level of clout on the site that they simply do not have and will only earn by gaining a position on the site. If a mod returned after an absence and made such a thread, it would most likely be tolerated, and the returning party would be informed that such threads are verboten. But what if I left, came back and (though I never would) made one of those ridiculous threads? Hell no. Locked faster than a cheetah on steroids.

My point is that threads that self-promote or expect a response based on popularity are not something we should allow, and that if a staffer or a mod makes one, it should be allowed out of courtesy, but the offending party should know better.

There's a lot of complaining in this thread, which is kind of the point.
Why don't we try and actually do something about this stuff? Email admins, try to get stuff done? That sort of thing.

TehRussBus wrote:

The confirmation of articles that don’t deserve it and the fact that there are still ancient articles on submission that deserve confirmation, and the advice animal circle jerk that seems to be going on as of late. For example:

Forever resentful mother: confirmed
Spongebob Squarepants: submission

wat

On a more positive note, I guess, I do like some of the community. There’s some really awesome people who I feel like I really relate to on this site and even some of the trolls are highly amusing.

I was gonna reply sooner, but didn't have the time.

Your bring up an excellent point.
There are many entries that have been around for a long time (submitted a long time ago)
that are still in 'submission'.

We need to have something like Project Reconfirmation again.

So we as a community can clean up entries and get more of them confirmed.
Ill try and compile a list of the entries that need a quick clean-up and get confirmed.

[lurking…]
[my perspective is probably outdated, haven't been interested in this site for months]

Brad’s articles. It seems to me that these are for whatever reason, the standards applied to other entries don’t apply. In particular, I’ve seen him push through advice animals that are only a few days old and solely exist on Reddit.

This really bothered me. I always thought that the obvious memes, like those on reddit, were going to be submitted anyway. I know that the admins want to push these so that they have something to put on the front page, but I always saw KYM as a Wikipedia (have a broad spectrum of informative articles, except with original research). Therefore, it should be the responsibility of the admins to at least start up the lesser known memes, and the older ones. Admins should research new memes, but why they try to be the first one to submit the entry doesn't make sense to me. That's partially why I wrote so many articles on Chinese memes; 90% of confirmed memes are American or Japanese. I've witnessed Eastern European memes far grander in scope than these reddit memes that last two weeks. Something about that is wrong to me.

Oh, and moderators who have shown to be responsible, who double check their work (back then, sometimes more than the admins), and who have a good sense of what is an acceptable entry- don't have the ability to confirm without other moderators' approval (I think recently it was changed to not being able to confirm, period). Seriously, why? It's not like we control the front page.

>KYM is a business
Fair. grr.

>submitting stupid entries to try and make them more popular
>+1 deadpool
Can't really do much about those :T

>autoplay
>_>

If there’s anything I don’t like about the forums, it’s how much the older and more respected members can get away with. If me or someone else were to make a thread of lesser quality, the thread would be filled with the usual “quality” comments. If a more respected member did it, it’s considered to be hilarious. Or if I were to flood JFF with spam threads, there’s a good chance I would be banned. If a “site veteran” does it, he gets a slap on the wrist and is told not to do it again.

For the second offense, they should be banned, with warning (when I was here, it didn't matter if they were a new user or old user, they were warned first). For the first offense, that's sorta natural for any forum :/
I remember when I responded to a user's comment with "lol" and got 6 karma (only other person at the time to get karma like that for saying lol was Jamie Dubs), I definitely I did some self-masturbatory patting on the back. It felt good.
On the other hand, a lot of it is unintentional, and you just get away with a lot more without realizing it.
When users respect you, they sometimes want to be a sycophant (ulterior motives), they sometimes think it's just cool to love a person because everybody else does (mellow fandom, although i love mellow n_n), and they sometimes respect the person and expect that what they post, even if they are taking advantage of their popularity, is interesting – such as threads criticizing, say, the admins or even other popular users.
Should these people make bad threads if they are aware that people are only tolerating it because they are a popular user? No. But sometimes the fact that you know people respect you makes it hard to distinguish which of your opinions/works are interesting to others and which are not.
It just sorta happens in most forums :|

Self-promotion, though, is generally not good, and shouldn't be lumped with crappy threads started by popular users.

Although I actually don't see why self-promotion should result in a locked thread, actually. Disliked, but not locked. That's just me, though.

Last edited Sep 30, 2012 at 04:34PM EDT

Well, I wasn't expecting Ogreenworld to pop out of nowhere like that…

Karma's original purpose is only really done properly in Meme Research or Site-Related; If you even slightly say something off topic, you are liable to being downvoted.

I'm probably not the best of people to talk about this without looking biased…

@Quantum Meme~!
I actually left because the stuff I didn't like about the way the site was being run + lack of friends overcame my reasons to stay.

So I have a lot to complain about :o

But yea, I lurk sometimes ;)

I dislike when people are downvoted merely for stating their opinions. It's okay if the person is being a total knee-arse about it, but saying "I like X" or "I dislike Y" isn't enough to warrant ten downvotes.

Last edited Sep 30, 2012 at 04:36PM EDT
Although I actually don’t see why self-promotion should result in a locked thread, actually. Disliked, but not locked. That’s just me, though.

Kramas for constructive points.

However, shall I go and promote a blog that I'm considering making?

How about we all do that?

All, say, 50 of the active forums users? Keep 'em bumped so that we make sure we can get our views.

=Deluge of threads. Ones that have no shot in 4chan of staying active. You're going to the blog itself to make comments, not to the thread on KYM. In fact, the thread now has a post by opspe in French (which means nothing to most of us,) and posts that have little to do with the content of the blog.

The reason I don't like it, is because it leaves a door wide open for floods. If Tomberry can, then any should be able to. I don't like the precedent it sets.

And the fact that it isn't a tumblr doesn't really make it seem different. Whatever you can say on a blog that isn't a tumblr you can say on a blog that is a tumblr. It's not special, because you paid money for it or anything.

Wsxdas, The Last Kramabender wrote:

I dislike when people are downvoted merely for stating their opinions. It's okay if the person is being a total knee-arse about it, but saying "I like X" or "I dislike Y" isn't enough to warrant ten downvotes.

That happens all across the internet. Just saying

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!