Forums / Media / Video Games

38,605 total conversations in 2,698 threads

+ New Thread

Favourite Video Game Genres

Last posted May 29, 2015 at 07:19AM EDT. Added Apr 16, 2015 at 02:04PM EDT
36 posts from 35 users

Stealth and shooters. My brain alternates between having a boner for murder and having no guts to kill anyone. Which is why in stealth games I generally don't kill anyone.

Celestia Ludenburg wrote:

Stealth and shooters. My brain alternates between having a boner for murder and having no guts to kill anyone. Which is why in stealth games I generally don't kill anyone.

Yeah that's what I do. Pretty much the only stealth I play is MGS and I try as hard as possible to go for no kill in those games. The plot of the game and the gameplay mechanics themselves even encourage you kill no one. In fact, it even tries to guilt trip you for killing usually. I have felt legitimately guilty for killing NPCs in MGS which just shows the power of the games in my opinion. Or that I'm just a weenie.

Platformers and FPS, but only because they happen to be the majority of games I play. Third Person Shooters and some Fighting Games also count.

They tend to be games that combine my favorite aspects of gameplay.

I've got a strong liking for Action RPGs, Putting together all the worlds to explore, storys to tell, and characters to grow in RPGs side by side with more involved and challenging combat along with awesome art and music, Put all of those together and you get immersion in a way that neither of those genres could do alone.

There are also FPSs I like to play, though as of now they usual have to be single player and the sole permise of QuoteUnquote "Modern Warfere Shooters" that are about shooting fifty guys under chest-high-walls to save the day the american way just doesn't cut it for me.

It's honestly way multiple times more fun to have to fight face-to-face agaisnt monstrosities that came right out of a horror story, headcrabs from half-life, cyborgs from system-shock 2, even chainsawing the faces of demons at mach 2 speeds in Doom is way more fun then shooting generic soilder number nine with generic rifle number three in generic battle ground number four.

Hack & Slash, First Person RPGs, and FPS. First Person is best person. Makes for greatest immersion in my mind. I like Hack & Slash games because of the power trip they give you. Being the one-man army is just delicious. I'm actually lumping in Beat 'em ups with H&S simply because of similar playstyle, one just being 2D and often smaller scale, but the gameplay is pretty similar.

The game I'm dreaming of at the moment is a first person dungeon crawler with procedural levels and skill levelling that's very Elder Scrolls-like. Lots of content that doesn't involve combat, though. Sometimes I just want a break from stabbing things and want to use the spoils of war to, say, pimp out my ever-growing estate.

…Interestingly, Skyrim is as close as I've found so far, but there's no random dungeons mod that I'm aware of.

Platformers

I started gaming with Super Mario World and just loved the genre ever since. Many great platformers have fun levels, neat powerups or abilities to use, and the like. Whether it's cartoony platformers like Mario or Sonic, or cinematic platformers like Prince of Persia, I just really like this genre.

Shooters

First or third person, or side scrolling, but I admit I tend to play FPS more. Just a fun action genre that often makes you feel like you're playing an interactive action flick, and depending on the game you can have a variety of different weapons to use. Linear, open world, so long as it's fun I enjoy them (heck even Half Life is a linear FPS franchise, just it's levels are interconnected unlike most linear FPS games).

Fighters

A newer one for me, I admit, as for the longest time the only fighter I liked was Smash Bros (though I also kinda liked Tekken when I was younger). Now I've started to enjoy more traditional fighters like Street Fighter and Skullgirls (note my username). I play more for fun than to be competitive, so I'm most definitely not someone you'll be seeing at EVO.

RPGs

Japanese or Western, I enjoy RPGs for their worlds to explore, enemies to face, leveling and customizing my characters, taking on many different quests, and experiencing an epic story. I enjoy action-RPGs the most, but I like turn based ones much more now than I used to as a kid (back then the only turn based RPGs I liked were Pokemon and Paper Mario, as I remember when I played Final Fantasy for the first time I didn't like it on the basis that "ugh I hate that I can't avoid the monster, why can't I just move up to it and hit it with my sword like in Zelda?"). Which leads me to…

Action-Adventure

Zelda, Okami, Batman Arkham, stuff like that. Like RPGs you often get great worlds to explore, lots of new equipment to find to help you progress and are fun to use, interesting cast of characters, and more. Zelda's hands down my all time favorite, every single Zelda just fills me with joy.

Action games in the Beat-em-Up and Hack-n-Slash genres

They can seem mindlessly repetitive to some, but they're often very satisfying games that are great for blowing off steam. When the combat feels great and most everything else works out well (like the enemies are fun to face, the bosses are cool, and the levels are neat to explore as well) then it's just tons of fun.

MOBAs: I'm one of those poor bastards that played LOL and liked it. I'm not really sure why I like it because I have plenty of reason to not like it. I think it's due to the diversity and challenge of fighting so many other players.

JRPGs: I really only like JRPGs because I feel like Western RPGs ignore story and characters more then JRPGs, so I dont play too many of them (Minus Skyrim, who don't love that shit?). I mainly play JRPGs for the story.

Fighters: Pessimal to MOBAs, diversity and challenge of fighting people.

Action Adventure games: 90% are this so….

I'm more into the actiony ones,not sure which ones specificly,but I like the more open world ones,I think.
One not really actiony I like is the tactical strategy games such as X-Com,Jagged Allience,Original War(Nobody has heard of that),Ufo Afterblank(Maybe some of you have heard of it),etc.

JRPGs: mostly for the story but I feel that some like KH and Pokemon have stuff that can extend the experience, but that could be applied to rpgs in general

Rhythm Games: Mostly for the awesome music

Platformers: though I seldom play them to the point where I counted the only one I did play recently in the "Games you like from genres that aren't the favorite" thread. My first experience with vidya being Spyro and me generally liking Sonic helps

Strategy RPG: Mostly NIS games and Fire Emblem

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!