Forums / Discussion / General

232,908 total conversations in 7,790 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured Locked Locked
KYM Pony General V: We Just Don't Know What Went Wrong

Last posted Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT. Added Feb 19, 2012 at 11:27PM EST
9926 posts from 193 users

I've always liked the idea of posting ponies with you guys on a pony specific forum so I'll definitely get in on this. Probably not right away though because I'm always so damn busy, but soon enough. All of my appreciation, Ivan.

I think a few users on the Steam group stopped posting here because they didn't have time to keep up with this thread so I imagine some of them would be interested if your looking to bump our numbers up to a healthy amount. I mean maybe they won't have time to keep up with a forum either but at least it will be easier for them to get in on whatever they're interested in without having to look through so much.

Also I would go with V Bulletin master race.

And I do intend to continue to post here on KYM too because it's hilarious.

Last edited Mar 01, 2012 at 03:45PM EST

Forum hosting is cheaper than a vBulletin licence.

As for the name, im gonna put together a list of possible names and we can have a poll.
If u got any ideas for the name id like to hear them. Ill setup the poll tomorrow morning (est)

So many mistakes, thanks to mobile browsing. Cant even fix em without it being a pain in the ass

Last edited Mar 01, 2012 at 03:54PM EST

^I need to create this machine!!!
FOR SCIENCE!
Also:

DOOM GUY FTW! :D
(Doom guy did have a pet bunny in one of the first dooms, but at the end it showed him walking out of a building with a decapitated rabbit's head in his hand…it was his pet too)…

Last edited Mar 01, 2012 at 04:11PM EST

I seriously don't know what to think about the idea of a new forum or thread or whatever.
If we do end up going through with it, I really don't wanna advertise it on like EqD or whatever. Large communities scare me, which is why I like KYM so much.
Also, what is this "Derpy Day" people speak of?

Last edited Mar 01, 2012 at 04:20PM EST

i was just reading through the last page of this thread and about the idea of an own forum.
ironically i just set up a forum yesterday without knowing what's going on here.

it was meant as a little place to discuss and collect advises on how to deal with trolls and maybe also some meta stuff about the community in general. i already collected some stuff and there have been tons of comments and opinions scattered all over the thread, image and article comments. i thought about putting that together to some kind of a guide. i also had the idea that if it works well it could be delivered through an ask.tumblr provided there is someone who would do that. something like that would not be possible to discuss here or in the comments, not speaking of the fact that it would be in front of the trolls eyes ;)

i hope i'm not too late with this and not everyone is too fed up with that topic. i had the idea at the time when this g4… trolls was spamming and there was a vital discussion about trolling and the reactions. i also saw all the wasted time, nerves and effort but also the great potential that this community has: spreading the idea of love and tolerance on the web.

this forum was not meant as an extension or replacement for this thread but just as a simple place for a single topic discussion. a whole forum might look a bit like an overkill but it's not a big effort to set one up. it can be done totally free in a few minutes.

Last edited Mar 01, 2012 at 04:55PM EST

Cite wrote:

I seriously don't know what to think about the idea of a new forum or thread or whatever.
If we do end up going through with it, I really don't wanna advertise it on like EqD or whatever. Large communities scare me, which is why I like KYM so much.
Also, what is this "Derpy Day" people speak of?

I couldn't agree more. I don't really feel like keeping track of hundreds of people. That's why I like this community.

Why is it that this forum – designated to contain all pony-related discussion so other users don't have to see it – is never used to settle debates and differing opinions between users?

It's said to be for that purpose, yes, but these debates can only be done at certain times, such as when a random thread is NOT going on in the forum. It's discouraging, at least to me.

But never mind negativity from me, have a grand Derpy Day, everyone!

Last edited Mar 01, 2012 at 05:01PM EST

I like to see KYM as a small town, not so many people or so much goes on that it will and or might give you a emotionally break down. Things are normally; calm, simple, and rural. Which I like best.

A new Putting your hoof down clip has appeared at EqD, just to let you know, and of course, spoilers naturally.

With that being said, I can't wait till Saturday to get my mind off this Derpy situation and onto the new episode and Fluttershy.

Last edited Mar 01, 2012 at 05:39PM EST

A separate forum would probably be the best solution. It'd allow for much greater topical focus, through threads for each individual topic, but it would still retain the pleasant small-town atmosphere this little thread has going for it.

Even if the new forums get an EqD spotlight, I wouldn't worry about a huge influx of newcomers. It'd likely be a small link in a nightly roundup, so many wouldn't even notice. And there's dozens of other places for them to go to, so only a few will ultimately join up. It'll be more like a healthy injection of new blood rather than an overflow of fools.

So, hows about some name suggestions, eh? I've got a couple off the top of my head:

The Trotter's Tavern – Good ol' "rural inn" type of handle, gotta love those.
The Emporium of Equine Enigmas – Alliteratively appealing, and evokes a sense of complexity.

@New episode clip

Oh haha, that's awesome. Looks to be a pretty damn good show incoming.

Either gonna modify one of these for the name:

KYM Pony General V: Fus Roh Yay!
KYM Pony General V: We are Brony
KYM Pony General V: Prepare Your Anus
KYM Pony General V (May or may not include actual pony discussion.)
KYM Pony General V: Bronies are magic

Or use one of these:

ThePonyHub
TheBronyHub

-
Vote for the forum title:

The name of the new forums/community is going to be:
Alternative link
Poll closes March 3rd, 2012 23:00 EST

Domain names are subject to availability. The administrators and developers reserve the right to override any choice or selection. The creator of this poll shall not be responsible for anything. So take that.

Last edited Mar 01, 2012 at 06:23PM EST

Cite does bring up a good point about there being to many people if we advertise on EqD.
I'm not sure how forums work, but if there was someway to create hidden thread's that only we (as old KYM members) could see and post in, but have others for other people that would come along.

And since I believe no one posted it yet:

There is a way to create threads that are only visible to certain members.

It is very easy through forum permissions. For example, create a special user group. Call it groupX, and then we can create threads that are only visible to groupX

The awesome thing about our own forums is that we control 100% of what happens. Who sees what, who can post where, etc.

Last edited Mar 01, 2012 at 06:31PM EST

Gigatoast wrote:

Wait, what's going on? Could someone summarize?

- Having one thread for serious discussions and silliness is insane
- A bunch of other problems – random image dump in discussion or discussion in image dump
- ?

Starting a new community. Deciding on the name now: Poll
Specific sections for everything, serious stuff, random stuff, offtopic stuff, etc.

@Engie
Only HALF of Colorado? That's not the Engie I know. Now, you take Derpy, AJ, and all the Sentries you can, and finish the job. But, it's nice that Depy visited you. Luna's right here with me currently, so we're all happy!

@The whole new community thing
I'm remaining neutral on this. I think I'l just sit back and see how it goes for a little bit before seriously taking part in it.

SPY!

Where the hell do I sign up to be a guard:

OK, I'll throw my two cents over some things going on:

About the new thread, I really don't know about it. Sure it is a great idea Ivan and I really support. But the thing is that I believe most of us are already used to the pony thread (myself included) for everything, and it would deppend on everybody's will to make it work. But in anycase, I'll just go with the flow.

Also, Happy Derpy Day!

Last edited Mar 01, 2012 at 08:12PM EST

@Pyro
After that little trip we currently wiped out.
Colorado
Nova Scotia
Naucalpan de Juarez
Tlajomulco de Zuñiga
and Schleswig-Holstein.
We managed to be there cause Derpy messed up my tele.
Also after the Twi visit, the others might join me to. I'm possibly meeting up with Celesita and Luna.

Last edited Mar 01, 2012 at 09:26PM EST

IvanP91c wrote:

There is a way to create threads that are only visible to certain members.

It is very easy through forum permissions. For example, create a special user group. Call it groupX, and then we can create threads that are only visible to groupX

The awesome thing about our own forums is that we control 100% of what happens. Who sees what, who can post where, etc.

I used to be in a forum that did that.

We removed it because a lot of new members complained (rightfully so) that it was elitist.

Happy Derpy day everyone! I spent my day today skimming through 100 pages of Shakespeare (I got a 100 on the quiz anyways), and today also happened to be the day the cafeteria ran out of muffins. Oh well.

@New forum vs this thread

This thread doesn't have to die. As long as there are bronies here on KYM, I imagine the Pony general will still be in use, and I think most of us are still going to be posting here. I sincerely doubt that a split will form between the forum and this, and even if it does, most of us will still be posting on KYM. At the very least, the Pony General just won't get the 3 pages a day it always does. And if KYM doesn't need a pony thread, it doesn't need a pony thread.

That being said though, I agree we should have some sort of private thread just for us. I don't mean to sound sappy, but what makes this thread so special is sharing it with you guys.

@ new forum attracting "undesirables"
The benefit of having a forum in the first place is so there can be control over the quality. Here, if a bunch of so called "undesirables" make a series of unintelligible posts, it's everyone's business. In the forum, they can have their own threads to do that and people that prefer intelligent conversations can post in their own.

It works for everyone.

@ Berry Punch

You look so peaceful when you're passed out.

Last edited Mar 01, 2012 at 09:44PM EST

Well other than wiping out cities with Derpy I'd say it was the best way to spend my first Derpy Day. Anyways time to go to sleep.

Apparently I passed out. Dunno how Applejack just dared me to touch lethal radiation for 10 seconds.

@ new forum attracting “undesirables”
The benefit of having a forum in the first place is so there can be control over the quality. Here, if a bunch of so called “undesirables” make a series of unintelligible posts, it’s everyone’s business. In the forum, they can have their own threads to do that and people that prefer intelligent conversations can post in their own.

It works for everyone.

Isn't….."Undesirables" somewhat of a strong word here?

Hello there, Herr Hitler. I see we meet again

Last edited Mar 01, 2012 at 11:31PM EST

burning_phoneix wrote:

The benefit of having a forum in the first place is so there can be control over the quality. Here, if a bunch of so called “undesirables” make a series of unintelligible posts, it’s everyone’s business. In the forum, they can have their own threads to do that and people that prefer intelligent conversations can post in their own.

It works for everyone.

I was lacking for a better word, but it seems that there are types of bronies that other bronies just don't like. Looking back, that post did look really extreme (I haven't slept properly for 3 days, give me a break).

What I meant was was that everyone can better see more of what they want to see and less of what they don't want to see.

My bad. That post probably seemed rather stupid.

Edit: Nothing I say will be all that clear for a while. It's been a busy week, everything's sort of fuzzy. Fluttershy episode will make it all worth it though.

Last edited Mar 01, 2012 at 11:43PM EST

burning_phoneix wrote:

It works for everyone.

Not really. We can all agree that trolls are undesirables, can we not?

On another note, got a new cowboy hat today. Applejack would be so proud.

@undersirable issue

From what I've read from Muffinator, I don't think he means it as strongly as it came off.

Since it's a unique forum, we'll have rules for that sort of thing. If a user begins to become a problem based upon the rules, then he or she will be punished. We have different boards with different rules, so everything should run smoothly. Unlike this thread where the rules are loose and are special because this is the only place where people can post FiM stuff, the forum can be moderated more strictly while allowing more freedom to be silly.

And personally, I'd like for it to be known in one of two ways:

1. You happened across a unique topic via a Google search.
  2. You know about it from KYM.

That will keep things more personal without making groups to make people feel left out.

I think that we may be a bit small in number to support a forum, but I don't see the harm in trying. At best (and I believe that best is likely,) it will solve more problems than it will present. I say give it a try, or just chill here and wait.

Last edited Mar 02, 2012 at 12:03AM EST

Muffins wrote:

I was lacking for a better word, but it seems that there are types of bronies that other bronies just don't like. Looking back, that post did look really extreme (I haven't slept properly for 3 days, give me a break).

What I meant was was that everyone can better see more of what they want to see and less of what they don't want to see.

My bad. That post probably seemed rather stupid.

Edit: Nothing I say will be all that clear for a while. It's been a busy week, everything's sort of fuzzy. Fluttershy episode will make it all worth it though.

Relax, I only break out the "Rape Churchill.jpg" for non serious posts.

I could see your point, I just thought the word "undesirables" sounded funny in the context of ponies.

Ah…..it brings me to the good old days of Brony Hitler.

@New forum thingy:
I guess I'll try it out, but I'm currently a bit short on free time, so over the weekend I suppose.

Engie, all of your screenshots are good, but

Why's AJ always hatless?

Pyro wrote:

I’ll give you 6 guesses to find out which human pony that is

Big mac?

I keed, I keed. The drawing is actually rather nice.

I will register a new domain and setup the new forums in the morning (7-11am EST).

The poll hasn't closed yet, but it looks like its gonna be ThePonyHub.com
Click to see poll

Its kinda late here, and I gotta get up early tomorrow. Gotta do one thing and then ill take care of the new forums.

Night everyone.

Last edited Mar 02, 2012 at 12:54AM EST

I'm sorry, I disagree with the whole moving the thread to another site thing. This is the KYM brony community after all, and even if everyone decided to move over, it wouldn't be the same. The way the KYM forums are organized is pretty great. The layout is minimalist, Textile is super easy to use, and the karma system is in my opinion, an extremely good way to control post quality (not to say it's perfect though). I like the uniqueness of it, and if we move to some other hoster, we're just another pony board on another forum software that looks exactly the same.

I'll try to stay on here as long as I can, and I suggest others do likewise.

And wasn't I notified that Verbose, ospse, Algernon, some other guys, pretty much all the good posters are leaving? All I can say is:

No, pushing the thread to somewhere else is not a good idea. It sounds nice, but what's the point?

Last edited Mar 02, 2012 at 03:35AM EST

They aren't leaving Twins, they just decided to lurk more here due to various factors. To name the few that I know of:

-Verbose wants to see more productive discussion here or else

-Opspe has a ton of work to do. So does Algy

-Everyone is tired of depressing subjects (less #firstworldproblems, more Pinkie Pie!) and want to see people clean up their act so that goes for everyone else who is posting less

But lurking is good for your forum health anyway. It lets you focus on more important things while you forget about anything on the forum that may be upsetting you. It gives people a chance to forgive and forget and it allows you to reflect on what you and others have posted, thus letting you see things from different perspectives.

The only poster I can think of that may have definitely left is Ideological. Last I heard from him he had another temper tantrum at Citation then threatened to leave again. Haven't seen him since.

Anyway, don't worry about there being another forum. As Ivan said, we aren't making it to replace KYM, nobody will have to choose one over the other. It's just giving us more space to work with. It's all based on the theory that one thread just isn't enough for us and if we had more room then maybe things will be easier. We are still testing that theory though.

If a new forum does go up, I'll use it but I'll still be here too. Everything is just an idea right now and we don't know for sure how it's all going to work out.

So I say again: Lets just wait and see what happens before we grow any concerns of any kind over the new forum :)

[edit one more time]

I have an idea. This thread needs to burst into a random Pinkie Pie song. After every Pinkie Pie song all problems are solved.

[edit again. I swear it is the last]

I almost forgot. PONY!

Nice recreation of the pet episode. Tank should be here any minute now.

I really like her ma- er…dress

And hers too.

Last edited Mar 02, 2012 at 05:05AM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!