Forums / General

195,932 total conversations in 5,394 threads

+ New Thread


Featured Featured
KYM Pokémon General

Last posted Jul 10, 2014 at 10:35PM EDT. Added Jul 08, 2012 at 08:44PM EDT
1,663 conversations with 139 participants

Neat stuff, Jack. I just read your post, but I went out and got Conquest prior to that (and Street Fighter IV for the 3DS, as well.)

The actual gameplay isn’t really the most enjoyable turn-based tactics I have encountered, but just playing the main story allows for a lot of customization, and the game forces you to consider many options when invading, defending, training, catching/linking, etc. Can’t wait to get into later stories and missions.

It was money well spent, in my opinion.


Except stuff like Crobat. Fuck yeah Crobat. Crobat goes where he pleases.

Darn tootin’.

Last edited Sep 04, 2012 at 01:57PM EDT
Sep 04, 2012 at 01:56PM EDT
Quote

Yeah man, I love it. Here’s a protip: if you can’t find someone’s perfect link, just get them a dragon. In later missions when you recruit a warrior you’ve had before, they’ll revert back to the Pokemon they had the last time they were on your team. The link will be scaled down though, so don’t expect to beat some dude with a Magikarp and have him join you with his 70% link crazy strong Gyarados. It’ll still be a Gyarados, but at like, 15% or something. So if you get them dragons, they can just Dragon Rage everything early game. It’s a one-hit kill until a few months go by. Very useful stuff.

Sep 04, 2012 at 02:51PM EDT
Quote

I haven’t played Pokemon since Diamond/Pearl days…. but damn Nintendo for releasing B/W2 and having it be effected from saves in Black and White because my OCD now compels me to buy B/W1 and finish that game first.

Sep 05, 2012 at 01:38AM EDT
Quote

I’m sure this has been talked about already a shit ton, by why won’t they release a console version? Why? I’ve been playing Pokemon since red and blue( yes I had both, even yellow). I would like a brand new experience plz. Whatever, I’ll just buy black 2.

Sep 05, 2012 at 06:32PM EDT
Quote

@Dac: Ever played Colosseum? If not, devote all your time and effort to getting a copy. Dear sweet breastfeeding baby Jesus that game’s glorious. The opening cutscene has the main character planting explosives in bad guy’s secret base and riding away in his Man-Motorcycle as it explodes behind him. I mean, holy crap man.

Sep 05, 2012 at 07:16PM EDT
Quote

Jack Candle wrote:

@Dac: Ever played Colosseum? If not, devote all your time and effort to getting a copy. Dear sweet breastfeeding baby Jesus that game’s glorious. The opening cutscene has the main character planting explosives in bad guy’s secret base and riding away in his Man-Motorcycle as it explodes behind him. I mean, holy crap man.

Oooh, now I want to write a review, so here goes (remember, there may be spoilers):

Colosseum and it’s sequel, XD: Gale of Darkness, are probably the closest we will get to a full pokemon game on home consoles, so it’s a good thing it’s a good game. The main premise of both games is that a group called cipher are giving away shadow pokemon, a special kind of pokemon artificially enhanced to improve their fighting ability. The downside of this is the fact that said pokemon are incredibly violent, and can also attack humans (which begs the question, why is it bad for them to attack humans, but it’s ok to attack each other?). First let’s focus on Colosseum. In this game, you play Wes an ex-member of team Snagem, who have a special machine which can catch other people’s pokemon. Shortly after, he stumbles across two cipher peons who are kidnapping a girl named Rui, who is on her way to her grandparents. It turns out she can see the aura of shadow pokemon, as the two set out to shut down cipher and cleanse the shadow pokemon. The main twist to the game is that you don’t catch pokemon from the wild, and instead you take other people’s shadow pokemon. After taking a pokemon, said pokemon will have only one or two moves, with one named shadow rush. This is a move that all shadow pokemon know and does recoil after attacking. This can be especially annoying when trying to catch pokemon, as if you get them to low health, they could use this move and die. To top it off, catching pokemon can be incredibly hard, especially Admin’s pokemon which can’t be catched again until the end of the game.
The catching system on Xd on the other hand, is laughably easy. Even the games main legendary could be caught in an ultra ball within a couple of tries. But let’s talk about the plot of XD. The main plot of this game is that you play as a boy named Michael, who is helping to catch and purify shadow pokemon with the help of a snagging suit and purify chamber, created by scientists. The game takes place 5 years after Colosseum, where it turns out the main enemy from the last game was not the boss of Cipher, who are currently rising from the ashes. This game has always been the ore popular of the two, sporting a better purify system in which you can purify up to 9 pokemon at once (but this requires 4 purified pokemon per shadow, but I won’t explain that as it is hard to explain) as well as better graphics and more areas to explore. To top it off, this game allows you to catch wild pokemon, which story-wise is a big deal as there wild pokemon are rare in this region (how they got their current pokemon is beyond me). This fuction however, is extremely downplayed, as there aren’t that many pokemon to the three pokespots. One of the major drawbacks to the game is how easy it is, which is a big difference compared to the last game. The game could probably be completed in two days max.

But if I were to recommend one over the other, I would pick Colosseum, as it will last you a lot longer, and has a much better story in comparison with XD. Despite the latter having the inclusion of wild pokemon, which was what a lot of fans wanted, this eature really feels unneeded.

And now, a GIF of Miror B. as I have not mentioned him yet

Sep 06, 2012 at 04:47PM EDT
Quote

Random 21 wrote:

Oooh, now I want to write a review, so here goes (remember, there may be spoilers):

Colosseum and it’s sequel, XD: Gale of Darkness, are probably the closest we will get to a full pokemon game on home consoles, so it’s a good thing it’s a good game. The main premise of both games is that a group called cipher are giving away shadow pokemon, a special kind of pokemon artificially enhanced to improve their fighting ability. The downside of this is the fact that said pokemon are incredibly violent, and can also attack humans (which begs the question, why is it bad for them to attack humans, but it’s ok to attack each other?). First let’s focus on Colosseum. In this game, you play Wes an ex-member of team Snagem, who have a special machine which can catch other people’s pokemon. Shortly after, he stumbles across two cipher peons who are kidnapping a girl named Rui, who is on her way to her grandparents. It turns out she can see the aura of shadow pokemon, as the two set out to shut down cipher and cleanse the shadow pokemon. The main twist to the game is that you don’t catch pokemon from the wild, and instead you take other people’s shadow pokemon. After taking a pokemon, said pokemon will have only one or two moves, with one named shadow rush. This is a move that all shadow pokemon know and does recoil after attacking. This can be especially annoying when trying to catch pokemon, as if you get them to low health, they could use this move and die. To top it off, catching pokemon can be incredibly hard, especially Admin’s pokemon which can’t be catched again until the end of the game.
The catching system on Xd on the other hand, is laughably easy. Even the games main legendary could be caught in an ultra ball within a couple of tries. But let’s talk about the plot of XD. The main plot of this game is that you play as a boy named Michael, who is helping to catch and purify shadow pokemon with the help of a snagging suit and purify chamber, created by scientists. The game takes place 5 years after Colosseum, where it turns out the main enemy from the last game was not the boss of Cipher, who are currently rising from the ashes. This game has always been the ore popular of the two, sporting a better purify system in which you can purify up to 9 pokemon at once (but this requires 4 purified pokemon per shadow, but I won’t explain that as it is hard to explain) as well as better graphics and more areas to explore. To top it off, this game allows you to catch wild pokemon, which story-wise is a big deal as there wild pokemon are rare in this region (how they got their current pokemon is beyond me). This fuction however, is extremely downplayed, as there aren’t that many pokemon to the three pokespots. One of the major drawbacks to the game is how easy it is, which is a big difference compared to the last game. The game could probably be completed in two days max.

But if I were to recommend one over the other, I would pick Colosseum, as it will last you a lot longer, and has a much better story in comparison with XD. Despite the latter having the inclusion of wild pokemon, which was what a lot of fans wanted, this eature really feels unneeded.

And now, a GIF of Miror B. as I have not mentioned him yet

That sounds cool, but I rather just have a handheld game that I can play anywhere…

Anyways, so Im playing soul silver and I catch a red Gyarados and notice its flying and dragon type. That struck me as strange, but I’m like " Fuck yes! He’s not bad at level 30 so ill use him to fly!". He can’t fly, he can surf and do water shit. Why are you flying type you bitch! You are like scyther all over again…
I can’t ride a mother fucking dragon or a badass giant bug, but I can fly on a pigeon.

If it seems like a rookie mistake, It is. I played pokemon as a kid a shit when it was mega popular, but then stopped until pretty recently.

Sep 06, 2012 at 06:14PM EDT
Quote

Did I ever mention how much I love this comic?

Sep 06, 2012 at 06:33PM EDT
Quote

@Dac >Flying and Dragon type
>Wait a sec are you trying to dooby my scoobies
>meme arrows
>le

Sep 06, 2012 at 06:36PM EDT
Quote

I’m sorry if this has been posted before:

Go to 1:11 to skip all the ads and announcements about his channel.

I found it extremely hilarious.

Sep 06, 2012 at 06:40PM EDT
Quote

Jack Candle wrote:

@Dac >Flying and Dragon type
>Wait a sec are you trying to dooby my scoobies
>meme arrows
>le

Oops, I meant water. My point was that it doesn’t fly when it’s part flying. That’s horse shit.

Sep 06, 2012 at 07:08PM EDT
Quote

Dac wrote:

Oops, I meant water. My point was that it doesn’t fly when it’s part flying. That’s horse shit.

LANGUAGE!

Sep 06, 2012 at 09:15PM EDT
Quote

Trollkeeper wrote:

I caught a shiny Pidgey!

Hey KYM, I have a very serious problem. I’m fucking crying because of how stupid I am.

Okay, so my girlfriend was supposed to come over to my house today because I was going to go take her to a movie. She lives about 20 minutes away, and the movie we were supposed to see started at 4:15, which was in about 40 minutes. I figured “cool, I’ll just play Pokemon while I wait”.

So I’m playing Pokemon, and having a pretty damn good time. Anyway, she finally does show up, except she’s crying as she walks into my room. Instead of doing the right thing by comforting her, I half-focus on my game and her. She starts telling me her cat died, and just as she was getting into it, I get into a random encounter in my game.

A shiny pidgey. Holy shit. (For those of you who don’t know/care, shiny Pokemon have less than a 1/1,000 chance of appearing; 1/8192 to be exact.). I stare into my screen in amazement, yelling “holy shit, YES”, interrupting her mid-story. She sobs more, and she starts to yell “You don’t even fucking care! YOU JUST WANT TO PLAY YOUR FUCKING GAME!” I’m still looking at my screen, still focusing on catching my shiny Pidgey, when she walks over, and tosses the game against the wall. I run over and pick up my DS hoping that nothing has changed on screen, and quickly noticed that she broke it. My system and my shiny Pidgey, gone forever.

I start screaming every obscenity I know, and started flailing my arms around. I didn’t know she was behind me, and apparently I backhanded her in the face while I was being a dumbass and swinging my fists around. She yells out “FUCK YOU”, and runs out of my house in tears.

What have I done? I’ve fucked up so badly, and I need to know how to approach her. I don’t want a game of Pokemon to be responsible for ruining my best relationship ever. Help me, KYM.

Sep 08, 2012 at 10:21AM EDT
Quote

I like seeing my characters butt every time she throws the poke ball in Pokemon white. Dat ass! Also this:

Sep 08, 2012 at 03:15PM EDT
Quote

Dac wrote:

That sounds cool, but I rather just have a handheld game that I can play anywhere…

Anyways, so Im playing soul silver and I catch a red Gyarados and notice its flying and dragon type. That struck me as strange, but I’m like " Fuck yes! He’s not bad at level 30 so ill use him to fly!". He can’t fly, he can surf and do water shit. Why are you flying type you bitch! You are like scyther all over again…
I can’t ride a mother fucking dragon or a badass giant bug, but I can fly on a pigeon.

If it seems like a rookie mistake, It is. I played pokemon as a kid a shit when it was mega popular, but then stopped until pretty recently.

You can only find Gyarados in the water, with both the games and the anime.

Besides, flying Gyradoses, might as well commit suicide, you’re doomed once they can fly anywhere.

Sep 08, 2012 at 04:12PM EDT
Quote

@random man
I know that, that’s why I found it strange his secondary type was flying. I don’t get why that would be his secondary type. Why not dragon? And the bitch can’t even fly.

Sep 08, 2012 at 04:45PM EDT
Quote

Dac wrote:

@random man
I know that, that’s why I found it strange his secondary type was flying. I don’t get why that would be his secondary type. Why not dragon? And the bitch can’t even fly.

Well, Gyrados was created around the Japanese myth of a carp swimming up a waterfall to become a dragon. After he became a dragon, he ruled the other carp harshly, so his dragon powers were taken away, though he kept his form.
He should still fly though, that’s dumb.

Sep 08, 2012 at 05:46PM EDT

I agree that the Gyrados not being able to fly thing is pretty BS. Hell, it can’t learn any flying moves at all!

But anyways, I’m playing through my Pokemon Ruby again. So… How about dem Feebas?

Sep 08, 2012 at 07:03PM EDT
Quote

Crimson Locks wrote:

I agree that the Gyrados not being able to fly thing is pretty BS. Hell, it can’t learn any flying moves at all!

But anyways, I’m playing through my Pokemon Ruby again. So… How about dem Feebas?

Last edited Sep 08, 2012 at 07:51PM EDT
Sep 08, 2012 at 07:51PM EDT
Quote

@Twilitlord:

Man, fuck you for a minute there I thought you were serious :(

Dac wrote:

@random man
I know that, that’s why I found it strange his secondary type was flying. I don’t get why that would be his secondary type. Why not dragon? And the bitch can’t even fly.

From my limited knowledge on this matter, he’s flying/water in order not to make him OP.

Sep 08, 2012 at 09:32PM EDT
Quote

Aw yeah baby, time for some glorious 3D Mystery Dungeon action. I’m not really sold on the starter Pokemon though. Guess I’ll just roll with Pikachu, wish I could be Charmander.

Sep 13, 2012 at 01:55PM EDT
Quote

Random 21 wrote:

It’s about time. Now all I need is a new shadow pokemon game and snap game and I’ll be fine

I want Snap for Wii U so bad, I grew fingers just to cross them.

Sep 13, 2012 at 01:58PM EDT
Quote

Fridge Logic wrote:

>2012

>Mystery Dungeon

pfffffffffffffft

>2102
>being in a Pokemon thread and not liking PMD
tffffffffffp

Sep 13, 2012 at 04:35PM EDT
Quote

I was just skimming through this thread, and I saw the discussion about Conquest. I definitely disagree with Jack and Verbose on this. It was extremely disappointing for me. The combat was lackluster. All you had to do was isolate a pokemon and stay just out of its attack range then team up on it during the next turn. Evolution was pretty annoying too. Unless you grind like crazy, you aren’t going to evolve. My Eevee evolved into Glaceon one battle before taking the final territory. That was helpful, but it was still annoying having to wait the entire game for that. I was also disappointed that you don’t even get any legendary pokemon. Maybe they gave you a legendary after beating the game and finishing all of those inane post-game missions, but I didn’t waste my time with those. Honestly, I’d play any Fire Emblem game over Conquest. Well, there’s that.

Man, a PMD for the 3DS. It really has been too long. I’ve only played Blue Rescue Team, but I’ll assume that Explorers of Time and Explorers of Space were both excellent. Can’t wait to get my hands on this game.

Sep 13, 2012 at 05:27PM EDT
Quote

Jack Candle wrote:

Aw yeah baby, time for some glorious 3D Mystery Dungeon action. I’m not really sold on the starter Pokemon though. Guess I’ll just roll with Pikachu, wish I could be Charmander.

This is very early information, so it is possible that more starters will be revealed. I hope. Pikachu is cool and all,but the previous incarnations had around 15 starters a piece. It would be odd for them to bring it down to 1 hero and 4 partners. That being said, Axew is pretty sweet.

Last edited Sep 13, 2012 at 05:55PM EDT
Sep 13, 2012 at 05:53PM EDT
Quote

Sam wrote:

Phyduck is best pokemon.

Phyduck

Sep 17, 2012 at 04:14PM EDT
Quote

We have a trailer:

It looks like they’re taking the 3d style they’ve been utilising with a lot of games recently.

Sep 17, 2012 at 04:20PM EDT
Quote

Every time Wailord is involved in a Mystery Dungeon game, I chuckle

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:49AM EDT
Quote

>Searched Dewott on DeviantArt
>Came across Long Backstory of a Dewott OC
>Read out of Boredom
>10 Mins Later…
>
Seriously, I did not see it coming, especially since is a Pokemon OC which usually don’t have much good personality, But this gave me a case of the feels.

Sep 20, 2012 at 11:28PM EDT
Quote

thought I’d bump this because Black and White 2 are coming out this Sunday in America.

So What Pokemon are you guys gonna use? This time I’m using Scrafty because of how his dark and fighting typing makes him effective against 3 out of 4 of the elite 4. Also 3 of the champion’s Pokemon are also weak against fighting now.

Aw yeah, I’m not even playin’ this time.

Also, what starter are you guys gonna pick? Last time I stuffed my tepig in the computer as soon as I got that event Victini but this time I’ll probably go with Oshawott.

Last edited Oct 02, 2012 at 01:35AM EDT
Oct 02, 2012 at 01:33AM EDT
Quote

Im currently EV training a bagon for the sake of thrashing my friends at school. Again. Also, I recommend reading the manga, it’s pretty sweet. Much better than the anime.

Oct 02, 2012 at 05:05AM EDT
Quote

Black 2 and White 2 is getting close. I can’t wait to hear the new music in its original context (read as: sitting in Roxie’s/Homika’s gym for about 3 days).

Since I’ve only played White once, I only had one starter (i.e. Tepig.) I’m not really too thrilled with any of the starters, actually, but I’d like to have something faster than Emboar, but neither Snivy or Oshawott seem interesting to start off with.
 
Meh. Eevee will work too.

Oct 04, 2012 at 01:17AM EDT
Quote

yeah, that’s pretty much my only gripe about gen 5 – I’m not really fond of the starters either. Apparently you can trade eggs from Black and White to Black 2 and White 2 as soon as you get the C – gear, which I may do to acquire a Golett early.

because Golurk is awesome

Oct 04, 2012 at 03:34AM EDT
Quote

Pokemon episode? dis gon be gud.

Forest makes a really creepy Ash.
Rob is good Oak.
Sarah is Sarah.

I am excited.

Oct 04, 2012 at 03:12PM EDT
Quote

Twilitlord wrote:

Pokemon episode? dis gon be gud.

Forest makes a really creepy Ash.
Rob is good Oak.
Sarah is Sarah.

I am excited.

Actually, it’s has 2 parts. That’s right, pokemon is getting the attention it’s deserves. And Sarah makes a great Pikachu.

Oct 04, 2012 at 03:24PM EDT
Quote

Random 21 wrote:

Actually, it’s has 2 parts. That’s right, pokemon is getting the attention it’s deserves. And Sarah makes a great Pikachu.

2 parts? Well this is certainly going to get interesting. Certainly proves that the scientists really like it. Eat your heart out bronies!

Oct 04, 2012 at 04:50PM EDT
Quote

Any one got a Pokerus Infected Pokemon in Black/White? if so, infect another pokemon that you dont want, and we shall trade… friend code 2538 0562 3777

Oct 05, 2012 at 08:38PM EDT
Quote

Two more days. Two more days until D-O-G-A-R-S DOGARS. Omygoshomygoshomygosh

Oct 05, 2012 at 11:15PM EDT
Quote

Jack Candle wrote:

Two more days. Two more days until D-O-G-A-R-S DOGARS. Omygoshomygoshomygosh

I’m not saying I might have to hurt a sucka if the song doesn’t stay the same in the North American version.

But I am certainly implying it.

Oct 05, 2012 at 11:35PM EDT
Quote

O HAI! You must login or signup first!