This entry contains content that may be considered sensitive to some viewers.
Poképarents, also known as Pokédads, is an "Advice Animal-style":/ image macro series with an image of a Pokémon. The images are stereotyped with a type of parent, family member or older friend. The meme is frequently associated with the catchphrase If Blastoise Was My Dad, Things Would Be Different.
The earliest available reference to the phrase "If Blastoise was my dad, things would be different" was published on June 15th, 2008 on the website Paheal.com. However, it was previously reported that the phrase comes from a 2008 4chan thread about "Pokedads." The thread is no longer available, but it reportedly contained the earliest known Advice Animal-variation of the meme. In the thread, a user post an advice dog style image with the head of a Blastoise, with the caption "Stick with me, kid / I'll protect you" (shown below).
Variations of the expression, as well as the usage of the Pokémon as parents meme, continued over the next decade. On July 8th, 2009, DeviantArt  user unknownbias posted a piece of fan-art that uses and depicts the expression (shown below, left).
Months later, on December 6th, 2009, a thread on the d2jsp.com message board included many variations of the meme, including a post by user Heritic, who posted a series of Charizard dad memes (shown below, center).
The following year, on September 27th, 2010, a similar piece of fan-art appeared on the website Furaffinity.net (shown below, right).
On January 19th, 2012, Redditor GregPatrick published an Advice Animals Blastoise meme on the /r/pokemon subreddit. The post received more than 250 points (81% upvoted) in less than 10 years (shown below, right).
On August 5th, 2019, Tumblr user Spazerbeam revived the "If Blastoise Was My Dad" meme, with a viral exchange on the site. The post received more than 35,000 notes in less than two years (shown below).
* Charizard – Mean abusive dad
* Blastoise – Awesome dad
* Venusaur – Fat lazy dad
* Pikachu – Fun reckless dad
* Dragonite – Tries to connect with son but is shunned dad
* Ninetails – MILF mom
* Meowth – Cool Uncle
* Spearow – Annoying brother
* Voltorb – Mean brother
* Psyduck – Nuttjob dad
* Lickitung – Pedo dad
* Zapdos – Thinks his son is an idiot dad
* Gyrados – Strict asian dad
* Farfetch'd – Conservative christian dad
* Gloom – Mom on Valium
* Meganium – Overprotective smothering mom
* Alakazam – Nuts about grades dad
* Golem – Vietnam veteran dad
* Mewtwo – Too busy for family dad
* Snorlax – Lazy dad
* Slowpoke – Slow dad
* Articuno – Runaway dad
* Magmar – Cheap dad
* Missingno – Retarded dad
* Gengar – Mysterious stranger
* Haunter – Mobster dad
* Kangaskhan – Mom who ignores her older son to give attention to the new baby
* Kadabra – Moral dad
* Houndoom – Narcissistic dad
* Wigglytuff – Metrosexual dad
* Drowzee – same as Dragonite
* Paras – Dad on LSD