Forums / Fun! / Memeory Lane

63,534 total conversations in 189 threads

Locked Locked
[Forum Games] Nations RP II

Last posted May 10, 2016 at 10:07AM EDT. Added Mar 17, 2016 at 11:49AM EDT
986 posts from 28 users

In which you roleplay as a country. Simply post in this thread to join.

Establishing details regarding culture and nation names will happen later, once the game starts.

Rules will also be elaborated upon later.

Vote in the following straw polls to set up the game.

Everybody will start on the same continent. Results for the continent polls will be merged for a mixed map type; you may select multiple poll options. Only one historical era will be chosen, and the entire game will take place within that era.

Polls

Continent Biome

Continent Geography

Historical Era

Signups will remain open until at least next Wednesday.

Cale wrote:

There are people here that don't want an Arid Classical Archipelago and that makes me sad.

The map types will be combined. The way it is looking right now, there will be one large continent absolutely plastered with gulfs, bays, and inland seas, surrounded by several loose collections of large islands. The continent will span several biomes, probably with the lower half dipping into the equator, but will be mostly temperate. You could have many desert islands in that scenario.

Sorry about the era, tho. Only one of those will win.

Elreigh wrote:

The map types will be combined. The way it is looking right now, there will be one large continent absolutely plastered with gulfs, bays, and inland seas, surrounded by several loose collections of large islands. The continent will span several biomes, probably with the lower half dipping into the equator, but will be mostly temperate. You could have many desert islands in that scenario.

COLONIAL DESERTS.
TAME THE WILD NEGRO.

Because of the large number of players I have decided that, should the 20th Century poll win, we are going to have players scattered about on the entire planet, rather than bunched up on one continent. In this particular situation there will be no NPCs in the world and the map polls, rather than being used to describe just one continent's distribution, will describe the entire planet.

The polls are closed now. The game will be set with 20th century tech.

I have completed the map. According to the polls, the general desire was a largely temperate world with plenty of inland seas and islands. You may see the map at this link.

Worth noting is the terrain, which you can see labelled here. There are three kinds of terrain indicated on the map: Mountains, Jungles, and Deserts. These act largely as military obstacles, making a country based in these terrains difficult to conquer. However, they are also not the wealthiest of regions, so choose your territory accordingly.

Terrain which is clear of mountains, jungles, and deserts should be assumed to be a forested/grassy flatland of the appropriate type for that latitude. For instance, tundra on the northern edge of the map, savanna between a desert and a jungle, etc.

You may now begin claiming your starting locations. Simply post a link to a cropped picture of the map with a dot or star symbolizing where your capital will be. I will expand your nation from that location into the surrounding regions based upon what territory is free. If you elect to not claim a spot, you will be placed in at random.

You should also post the name of your country and a short history of it, something of a prologue. Also include a list of at least eight city names. It is possible that I won't use all of them, so make sure the first cities on your list are your favorites. The very first one should be your capital city.

I expect to have Turn 0 out on Wednesday, so you have until then to claim your land and name your country. Signups are still open until then as well.

Area:

Flag:

Name: Narthuria
History: Narthuria was a nation that came into the world around the 13th century, originally it started from permanent settlements made by "The Knights Tharos", the knights were of a polytheistic belief. As the knight expanded their base to villages which they would protect from threats like bandits and mercenaries. Eventually these surrounding areas pledged themselves to the knights and their leader, making him the first king of Narthuria. Since then they have changed with the world around them but keep their strong and unique culture in the world. The knights even still exist, but split into a sect of the military and the police force of Narthuria.

Last edited Mar 19, 2016 at 06:56AM EDT

The flag of the Txabesco Republic.

A country that since the ancient times was never colonisied because of the warrior culture, that made invading countries to give up. As time progressed they specialized in the production of beverages making the leading provider of beverages in the world thus making it a very rich country. Even though they are pacifists because of their religion that only allow to fight if you are attacked they have a very big military personnel. They are the democracy that was ever created in the world.

Main Cities :
Grogu
Ponchi
Manecon
Gin
Jon
Ceris
Trin
Txada

Last edited Mar 19, 2016 at 07:09AM EDT

Area:

Flag:

Name: Carim

Nation History: A nation born from migrating pagan tribes fleeing from their home lands. In the these lands many of the tribes chose to ignore shield for their warriors to focus on speed, agility and stealth, making warriors more like rogues. As time moved on the various pagan beliefs manage to find ways to merge together and created a belief called The Way of the Wyld. The dark warriors and mystics of Carim soon spread out to claim more near by territories. Many near by tribes came to fear the people of Carim.

While stealth based combat and pagan faith are two of their well known features Carim is known for it's dramatic plays and tragedies, it's philosophers and scholars, it's gothic architecture, it's democracy and it's sports where players are naked and who's gymnasium also act as class rooms as they believe that a health mind must be housed in a health body.

Main Cities
Carmina Gadelica
Mac Anu
Dun Loireag
Fort Ouph
Lia Fail
Dol Dona
Lumina Cloth
Breg Epona

Name: Onvast
Area:

Flag:

History:
Onvast was previously known as Khaan, a nation formed by a group of traveling merchants and fisherman that were mostly nomads. Because most of them came from different countries/tribes, no particular religion was set in place. Onvast became very wealthy from trade, and it's population increased quickly.
Since Khaan was mostly a passive nation, they didn't have enough weapons or trained soldiers to fight a war. Their government was overthrown by a group of organized pirates, with most of the natives either fleeing or living the rest of their lives as slaves. The flag was changed and the country was renamed Onvast. A new monotheistic religion was set in place, and trading was at an all time high, due to most of the current citizens being experienced sailors. As time went on, Onvast became a oligarchy, with most people in power being former high-ranking soldiers.

Main Cities:
New Khaan
Jingost
East Conshen
West Conshen
Curamble
Beyect
Markal
Grechenstein

Last edited Mar 19, 2016 at 11:07AM EDT

Name: Sprawl
Area:
*Flag
:
History: A nation with an accidentally created ideology based on the findings of a great leader. They worship an alien object and they believe that belief in this object will allow them to ascend to higher being. They're a very religious group of people and shun all other religions besides their own, Unitology.
Main Cities:
Titan
Hyperion
Rhea
Dione
Iapetus
Atlas
Ymir
Aegis

Area:

Flag:

(Note: It blends in because of the white background KYM has. It's two larger white bars surrounding a smaller red bar.)

Name:

Orobostan

History:

After years of fighting between a handful of small countries over various disagreements, they grew war-weary and their leaders met to reach a peaceful agreement. The result of this meeting was uniting the countries under one name and federal government, Orobostan. The generation that lived through the fighting emphasized to their children the value of peace, as well as the morality and rationality of fighting for what's important.

While the countries (now states) still retain some autonomy, they are required to obey the ruling of the federal government, which consists of no more than 100 representatives. Due to how removed, exclusive, and fortified the capital was (and is) from the rest of the country, they were able to make many backroom deals and be bribed often. The states only put up with this because, in their mind, it is all that keeps them from breaking out into generations long war again.

Main Cities:

Orobo City

Ashkan

Great Aeris

Erigar

Abattlon

Seadew

Myrian

Blarion

Grantus

Last edited Mar 19, 2016 at 12:46PM EDT

I think I'm gonna withdraw from the game this time round. I was really hoping to begin in the Medieval or Colonial era since that lets you develop your nation in a more natural way. I'll definitely join the next game though!

Vilanoa

Formerly a coalition of northern tribes bonded by their contempt of the southern nations and peoples, Vilanoa spent much of the last century consolidating their status as an independent power and overcoming civil unrest to transition from a syndicate to something more of a republic. Along with that came the tepid opening of contact with foreigners.

Despite this growth spurt over a handful of generations, Vilanoans are backwards economically, culturally, and technologically compared to the rest of the world.

Towns:
Muinoar
Itsason
Txahala
Serlekua
Hegan
Ramailea
Ezpata
Aizkora

Flag:

Name: Suiyektu Khaganate
History: Born from tribal conquests in its early days, the Suiyektu people expanded rapidly with their well-disciplined armies, reaching the maximum area they could exert their influence over before long. It has since become a more sedentary nation with a despotic hierarchy that leaves the emperor in charge of the nation. It has fostered a strong sense of nationalism and loyalty to the nation through a great propaganda campaign and inspiring speeches. Though they may seem backwards in governmental terms, they are highly industrious, the great factories renown across the world.
Important Cities:
Suirinyak – Capital, situated in the islands to the east.
Jin-huree – Mining city situated in the mountains to the north, doubling as an impromptu citadel.
Mandkiri – City nestled in the inland bay jungle area, it is a vital port and naval manufactory.
Iiumi – Holy city to the Suiyektu, built in the small jungle island and nestled deep within.
Shimyanai – Arms Manufacturing center also nestled within the mountains, it is a vital army supply center.
Orbanish – Farming town between deserts and jungle on the peninsula, the farms sprawl that entire cleared area.
Yykai – City to the far east of the empire's borders, it serves as a gateway to the east of the continent.
Myushyin – City to the northwest edge of the empire, it serves as an airbase and training facility.

Area:

Flag:

Name:
Kathian
History:
Religious tribes united by their devotion to reach a state of perfection, their religion dictates that their creator ordered them to amongst any other for them to reach godhood, this has caused some distrust and xenophobia of other races and cultures who refuse to accept their teachings and religion.

They are not exceptionally advanced but their army morale and culture evolution is better compared to others

Main Cities:
Silam
Ayaton
Ciktha
Milton
Varatia
poyirr
illem
iltem

Last edited Mar 19, 2016 at 03:28PM EDT

Divus

They like stars. One time they tried to build a tower that reached the stars, but they stopped when the builders started to suffocate. Now it's just a big hotel, and they spend their time trying to build rockets.

For some reason, they really hate crabs.

I don't really care about the city names.

Fittaland
Isolationist since before a brother could keep track, Fittalandish people are ruled through a corporate oligarchy. Popular cultural passtimes include but are not limited to working hard for that money and attending government sanctioned cockfights involving domesticated selectively bred giant gorillas rather than cocks. Due to there being no churches in the wild, no religions have formed in the country.
Cities:
Capital: Rövhål
Other cities:
Moenoar
Northon
New Khanye
Carminer Gaydlicka
Silamp
Suirinyaks
Oboro
Tittan
Grog

Area:
Opposite end of Crow's island, the very thin one
Flag: [insert generic tricolor here]
Striate
History: Once a small country of farmers and fishermen, Striate has recently experienced a military coup, with the top general becoming the country's leader. Striate now has one of the most disciplined armies in the region. Life has mostly returned to normal, except now there is less political freedom and more natoinalist propaganda everywhere.
Cities:
Regno
Cirilla
Agro
Agro Nove
Manaea
Babica
Perla Est
Sirocco
Nacre
Ponere

Syndic wrote:

I have decided instead to make the game span multiple eras proportionate to those voted for in the poll. In this way, everybody will get at least a sample of the era that they chose in the poll, meaning that the 55% of people who voted against 20th century tech won't be too disappointed. The division will go like so:

5 Turns Classical
6 Turns Colonial
9 Turns Modern

At twenty turns, the game will end.

Crimeariver wrote:

I think I’m gonna withdraw from the game this time round. I was really hoping to begin in the Medieval or Colonial era since that lets you develop your nation in a more natural way. I’ll definitely join the next game though!

My sentiments as well, hence the aforementioned modification. Maybe you should reconsider quitting in light of this change.

TrollaNohrt wrote:

Oi, is it possible for me to take Crimea’s place in this one?

That's unnecessary as signups are still open until Wednesday.

Black Graphic T wrote:

This still open to joining?

Signups are still open until Wednesday.

Syndic wrote:

My sentiments as well, hence the aforementioned modification. Maybe you should reconsider quitting in light of this change.

I would consider it, but unfortunately I actually have a lot on my plate for university right now as well, so I can't really commit to a Nation RP right now. I'll definitely be joining next time though.

Name: Syraus
Area:

Flag:

History: The nation was born from the federation of groups of people inhabiting the coastal region that is now its capital Canacus who were often farmers or merchants. The barriers between race and religion became blurred as national identity became increasingly important for the country's citizens. Although tensions have risen occasionally, a strong central government keeps it in check at the cost of some political freedom. Pushes for industrialisation and strengthening of military are being made by the government in a bid to keep the nation secure.
Major Cities:
Canacus (Capital)
Aven
Qetra
Heiko
Seahurst
Westgate
Grezny
Albadi

Name: The Ambrosian Republic

Area:

Flag:

History:
The Republic was formed through the unification of culturally similar Low Countries under the rule of House of Nieuwenaar, which has seceded most of their power to the Staten-Generaal. The statists usually elect one of the van Nieuwenaars as the Stadtholder, which reign until their deaths. Under Maurice van Nieuwenaar the Republic underwent massive army and administrative reforms, allowing them to conquer the mountains to the north. Country itself is heavily decentralized and since members of the Staten-Generaal are chosen in local elections amongst the merchants, nobles and knights, the people have some political rights. It mostly takes interest in trade and discoveries, both geographical and scientific.

Major Cities:
Eeshaven (Capital)
Eindhoven
Brielle
Hardenberg
Waalwijk
Lutten
Alsmeer

Also, two questions:

1) Will we have some sort of a tech tree? Research in the previous game was very chaotic and huge leaps were made without practically required technology.

2) How realistic do we aim for this one to be? All-crazy like the last one, or without SF elements?

Name: Kingdom of Hessaria

Flag:

History: The Hessarians claim that their people first came to these lands from the far south beyond, where they fled the fires of dragons which turned their homeland to ash. Whether this is true or not, The Hessarians used the dragon to symbolize change, and its inevitable coming, while using the Triangle to symbolize their new land, and hope. The Kingdom of Hessaria is composed mostly of 3 large islands, with many small islands used mostly as landmarks to guide the trading and migration vessels between the 3 pillars, as they are called. The sailors of Hessarians keep a tradition as both warriors and navigators, every citizen must learn to sail, and every citizen is required to fight if called to do so, whether they are men or women, young or old. Compulsory military or naval service lasts for a period of 5 years, after which the person is considered a full Hessarian and allowed to pursue other careers, such as a craftsmen or tradesmen. The Kingdom is both a monarchy and a republic, as each island has a ruling council, governed by a single King, who convene in an annually moving capital, hosted in one of the three pillars. The councils meet, and vote on actions, and the king decides if it should or should not be pursued. While the king may stop any action, he himself cannot force an action to take place. When the king dies, each island puts forward 3 candidates, and from the 9, 1 is voted for as the new king by the 3 ruling councils. It is in this strange balance, that one sees Hessaria's perplexing culture, "Balance in Chaos" being their nations slogan. Hessaria has many herbs it cultivates for trade, and has a strong desire to increase its metal resources, something it lacks naturally.

The Islands are named as such,

Great Ostazar in the North
Old Ostazar in the South
Yarnham to the West
To the far south, the twin isles of Tarys and Onderys
To the far West, The Isle of Lone-Watch
Dragons Rest lies in the center of the Kingdom, a small island considered sacred, and the resting place of the dead.

Major Cities:
New Hessarinam – Capital – Old Ostazar
Kalevalem – Captial – Great Ostazar
Celephais – Captial – Yarnham
Greyshore Valley
Daggermouth
Ishavalazar
Mistralva

Last edited Mar 20, 2016 at 04:29AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!