Forums / Discussion / General

232,914 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured Locked Locked
The KnowYourMeme RPG (Refresh)

Last posted Feb 19, 2013 at 04:04PM EST. Added Oct 22, 2011 at 09:33PM EDT
385 posts from 51 users

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

WE DID IT!!! The first draft of the script is done!!

Bleh, my head hurts. THANKS TO SUI FOR DOING MOST OF THAT WORK!! It would have never gotten done without her help!
--

Anyways, now we move onto the next phase: Resource Gathering/Makeing and Programing. We will not be returning to the script for some time, at least not until we get it peer reviewed by the other production team members and playable characters.

But it just feels good to get this part done… bleh. Now we can get to the part you guys can see us build.

Right now we need everyone we can get. Me and Natsuru can only do so much so fast and this game is HUGE.

If you can at least sort of draw, paint, create cg models, animate, create sound effects, compose music, voice act, create graphics for HUDS and menus, or anything else you think might be of use please contact either me or Natsuru.

If you don't think you can do any of that but want to try I will gladly help you learn.

Last edited Jul 16, 2012 at 11:49PM EDT

Okay, time to bump this thread up.

Here's the KYM Tan "talk" image that Natsuru requested from me. It's just the basic scetch, so whoever's in charge of the digital coloring etc. can make a digital lineart out of it, and then color it (or give it to someone else to color).

It's been weeks since the last time I drew anything, and even longer since I drew any humans, so my skills are a bit rusty. But I guess I should get the hang of it if I just keep going.

Just cut it arond the chest level, and it should be good to go. I left some extra, since I didn't know the exact cut level.

And here's the KYM link to the image.

Last edited Jul 19, 2012 at 03:18PM EDT

Oh god, I almost literally cried, this is fantastic!

I will attempt to color it during a livestream sometime in the future, perhaps this weekend.

Last edited Jul 19, 2012 at 03:23PM EDT

It is more edited that it was before.
The top one is the old version (Zelos Edit) and the bottom one is the new version (Major Zelos Edit)

I also modified the animation, so it is more girly and even less like Zelos.

(Note, this GIf is not up-to-date, as I edited in some motion for the Shield Arm.)

Last edited Jul 19, 2012 at 03:44PM EDT

@Megalolzors. All of the NPC slots for the main quest have been filled but we could probably squeeze a few more into side quests and backdrop characters. Since you asked nicely and maybe if you stick around for a bit I'll draw a set of sprites for you. However, I can't promise how big your role will be.

I've been spriting like crazy:

Patrick

Subject 32

Gamzee should be done soon and I'll do Wxsdas and Penzoid after that unless Natsuru wants me to tackle another character.

Just a friendly reminder:

Giving links to people outside of the project is grounds for immediate and permanent removal from the game.

We've had a huge problem with harassment from a couple of users in the past and it looks like someone gave out the link yet again.

Don't do it again.

And to those users harassing us: Fuck you. Seriously. I know you are also the users that have been sending me shit through the IRC and my wall but cut it out already. I'm taking screen caps of everything you do.

Can I be a NPC? (Commentator.)
Basically have a person that is, your choice:
1(A white Shy Guy)
2(Funky Kong)

Sorry I'm super late, I just wanna be in a game!
Edit:
Here is a refresher for Funky Kong: My profile pic.

Last edited Jul 21, 2012 at 10:45AM EDT

I can see where this is heading.

Not everyone is going to be an NPC.

To secure a position as an NPC you must either contribute to the project or become very notable on the website itself.

I'm considering making Megalolzors for an NPC only because he is probably the first person from outside the project to actually ask nicely if he could be an npc.

Last edited Jul 21, 2012 at 11:52AM EDT

@Kasrkai: I can't remember. A lot of people joined up but never did anything. You're fairly notable and I think you might already be on the npc list. I can't tell for sure as it's got nearly 200 names on it.

Info on the project itself is pretty hidden. We don't want people to really know the story until they play it. We spent a lot of time on it.

@Mexican Android: You can draw very well. Do you think you could draw something like character "Talk" images like the one Muumi posted? We also need sprites and backdrops if you think you could draw those.

Last edited Jul 21, 2012 at 12:54PM EDT

@Suiseiseki:

Sadly I can't draw sprites, I don't have an appropriate program if not the appropriate skills do the thing.

But I can do "talk" images and might do some watercolor backdrops, if you can provide me enough information on what you want.

Okay, here's a few new images. The "Banhammer" attack, and the "Happy" closeup for the F*cking Rainbows attack.

I also put some color guidelines to the banhammer pic, so that it's easier to figure out what's what.

And here are the KYM links to the pics.

Banhammer

Rainbows

Just read over this entire thread, and I'm convinced this is going to be 10 times better than sex.

Who else is going to camp out for release day?

Ooh, I have an idea. Verbose could be a boss, and his ultimate would be filling the entire screen up with so much text that you would suffocate. Maybe like a scrolling maze thing where the text comes flying out at you from the top of the screen, and you have to carefully navigate your way through lest you be ensnared in the tendrils of darkness (that referring to the text of course). Also, when you first meet him, he talks to you for a tediously long amount of time, and every time you die, you have to read it all over again.

--
I know I'm getting in on this pretty late, but may I apply to be an NPC? I suppose I could make my own sprite, although I've never done it before, so I'll probably blow like 4 hours watching videos. Perhaps you could put me as some sort of Chris Houlihan thing if you wanted.

Sorry for being really annoying and demanding. I'm just really excited about this project all of a sudden. I knew Natsuru was making it, but I didn't know it was actually in progress.

you really are trying to come in REALLY LATE
The Script won't be touched in a while.
They are going into the spriting, and making the second part of the game… which is the last arc…

Do you have any skills to contribute?

Yeah, I completely saw this coming. That's where I was going with the Chris Houlihan thing, as a way to shoehorn me in. I mean, if it's okay with you.

What positions are there left? Publicity? Beta tester? Script editor? I'd say I'm semi decent at writing, but I'm assuming they're nearly done with it at this point.

Once again, forgive me if I'm being really stupid right now. Sui got me pretty excited in his drawing thread, and I think he said something like I could make a sprite for myself if I wanted to.

Yes, if you make your own sprites you will be in the game in at least some capacity.

This is to get people to actually help us since only 2-3 team members have actually been active and working on the project for the past 6 months or so and it's been hurting.

As for open positions we primarily need artists, programmers/coders, music composers, 3D modelers/animators/compositors, and most importantly we need people that are excited about it.
For a while it felt like no one even knew about the damn project even though we updated the thread with a small progress report every 2-3 days and posted various trailers and art.

Natsuru could explain better than I could but he is Missing In Action at the moment.

Last edited Jul 23, 2012 at 02:03PM EDT

Out of curiosity, how long is this game going to approximately be?

And I haven't commended y'all on how well you're doing for such a small team of people.

I'm afraid I can't do any of those things besides being super excited for the project (sigh), but there's tons of other people on KYM with artistic talent that might not have heard of this project yet. Might want to check in this thread.

Twins the Serendipitous Serval wrote:

And I haven't commended y'all on how well you're doing for such a small team of people.

I'm afraid I can't do any of those things besides being super excited for the project (sigh), but there's tons of other people on KYM with artistic talent that might not have heard of this project yet. Might want to check in this thread.

Well it's about the length of an average JRPG.
Which is longer than most games.
You can spend however amount of time you want on it.

And yes we have asked people from that thread.

Suiseiseki     wrote:

Yes, if you make your own sprites you will be in the game in at least some capacity.

This is to get people to actually help us since only 2-3 team members have actually been active and working on the project for the past 6 months or so and it's been hurting.

As for open positions we primarily need artists, programmers/coders, music composers, 3D modelers/animators/compositors, and most importantly we need people that are excited about it.
For a while it felt like no one even knew about the damn project even though we updated the thread with a small progress report every 2-3 days and posted various trailers and art.

Natsuru could explain better than I could but he is Missing In Action at the moment.

>Artists

Nope.

>Programmers/Coders

Uh-uh.

>Music Composers

Not that.

>3D Artists

Well shit.

I kind of want to contribute, but I really don't know how.

Twins the Serendipitous Serval wrote:

The game will consist of two Acts.

Each act could pretty much play as its own game.

The script itself is insanely long. To be realistic, it might take 16 hours to beat it the first time.

To secure a position as an NPC you must either contribute to the project or become very notable on the website itself.

Well I'm going to start trying to make my NPC sprite for the game, Is pretty much the only thing I can contribute to the game right now, Hey I might as well and it may be fun and I'll probably make sprites for other NPC Users.

Last edited Jul 23, 2012 at 05:47PM EDT

I just bought the Pro version of Game Maker 8.1, so now I have quite a bit more freedom with the programing (It supports Multiplayer and several other things I need to finish this game). I am still trying to recover a ton of lost work from back when my computer crashed, but hopefully I can get everything done within 2 weeks or so.
--

Regarding Programing Help:

If you feel you are good with coding and wish to help (or are willing to learn how to code easily), you can jump on board after you have learned how to use This Program (the lite edition is free) using tutorials 2-5. Game Maker is a visual code creator, so it is at least 20 times easier than going and learning something like C++.

Just please note that I do not know how to properly split up the work for programing this, not until the Game Engine I am building is done anyways.

NottaWotta wrote:

Well I'm going to start trying to make my NPC sprite for the game, Is pretty much the only thing I can contribute to the game right now, Hey I might as well and it may be fun and I'll probably make sprites for other NPC Users.

MAKE ONE FOR ME PL0X

But nah, I'll make my own if I can just figure out how to do this correctly.

Likewise, I will stream a Game Development/Game Maker Tutorial Livestream sometime soon. However it will have to be much later than Sui's livestream due to School and Family matters.

Greninja wrote:

Am I well known enough to have my own RPG Player?

NPC? Maybe.

Playable Character? No.

No, are not adding any more. Not even the most well known users can get a playable character now. We already have a full story written with many assets already in place.

However. Were we to make another game anyone could get in as a playable character by contributing to that project

Last edited Jul 23, 2012 at 11:38PM EDT

Note, Evil Nemesis's Brother (goes by "GastonFan1" or something on Youtube) has been busy at work setting up a working Voice Recording Studio for me. If all goes well, we will have a few voice reels (For my character, and for a potential announcer) the weekend after next.

Also, by about that time I should have fully recovered all my lost work, so let the production wagon go FULL SPEED AHEAD!!

Hello all, so I read up on Suiseiseki's drawing thread that we can help with character creation by using this as a template:

So I've gone ahead and create a version for myself. Took me long enough as I'm not used to making graphics pixel by pixel

I know Sui said to post it in his drawing thread, but his thread is getting rather derailed with all this RPG talk so I'm taking it here.

As you can see I have yet do to the sitting and running sprites, I could do those if I really needed to but I figured I would stick to just the important ones for now. I also made two versions with and without a scythe. I'm not sure if you guys can use props so I decided to do both.

Another reason why I'm here is that I was asked if I could put my programming skills to use in this project. Honestly the thought never crossed my mind before. But it could be a possibility. I didn't take programming courses for nothing.

It depends how the project is being made and what programming languages are being used. I'm familiar with VB, Java and all those web and database languages but I expect this project uses something new that I have not used before. Still, I'm keen to try something new

Last edited Jul 24, 2012 at 08:55AM EDT

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

I just bought the Pro version of Game Maker 8.1, so now I have quite a bit more freedom with the programing (It supports Multiplayer and several other things I need to finish this game). I am still trying to recover a ton of lost work from back when my computer crashed, but hopefully I can get everything done within 2 weeks or so.
--

Regarding Programing Help:

If you feel you are good with coding and wish to help (or are willing to learn how to code easily), you can jump on board after you have learned how to use This Program (the lite edition is free) using tutorials 2-5. Game Maker is a visual code creator, so it is at least 20 times easier than going and learning something like C++.

Just please note that I do not know how to properly split up the work for programing this, not until the Game Engine I am building is done anyways.

@BSoD:
Second part of this post. Game Maker is a rather easy learn (it uses a Visual Assembly to help you learn), so you will probably be able to learn it before I get the Game Engine done.

Last edited Jul 24, 2012 at 12:43PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!