Forums / Discussion / General

232,916 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured Locked Locked
KYM Pony General V: We Just Don't Know What Went Wrong

Last posted Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT. Added Feb 19, 2012 at 11:27PM EST
9926 posts from 193 users

Alright, since no one has responded to my synchtube comment I shall arrange the synchtube to be in 2 hours, at 6:00 P.M CST.

@Thor's post below mine:

Last edited Jun 16, 2012 at 05:28PM EDT

Zarathh wrote:

Alright, since no one has responded to my synchtube comment I shall arrange the synchtube to be in 2 hours, at 6:00 P.M CST.

@Thor's post below mine:

here have some SMOOTH JAZZ

Riyku wrote:

Oh man
My result:
Pinkie pie passionately kisses me before proclaiming her undying love for me…..

Who the fuck is Techpony, and why am I going on a date with him.

Riyku wrote:

Oh man
My result:

Who the fuck is Gainsthehelper and tell him/her (I seriously can't tell) to stop glomping me.

@Pyro

@Bruelock

Gross, now it's on this page too.

@Ken Ashcorp

He has a right to voice his opinion, just as we have the right to think his opinion's pretty stupid. He cried about the documentary on tumblr too, and even Alex S. told him he should chill out already. Honestly, I don't know why some people seem so bothered by it. At the very least, they could try waiting until it's actually been made to form their scathing critiques.

@Riyku

"You get a surprise glomp from Vibrato." Who? I think that list needs work.

@Connor

I saw that over there. I think it's pretty interesting, and it prompted some decent comments.

Last edited Jun 16, 2012 at 06:19PM EDT

I just wanted to say that you guys collectively rock! Not only did you present opinions in an excellent and well researched manner, but you also presented difference of opinion in an extremely constructive manner. Well Done.

Riyku wrote:

Oh man
My result:

"Adverse proposes to you during a romantic dinner."
That's for me. I got one question for this…
Who the hell is Adverse?

@Tim
I'll wait for the official releases. Transformers had the same thing going on.
Chineese worker sneaks toy out of factory before release date to sell on Ebay for extra cash. Technically, its stealing. A lot of people will buy that kind of stuff just so they can get it earlier. Problem with this method is that the toys aren't always up to the standards of MISB (Mint in sealed box), and a few have been known to have a bit of QC issues such as paint operations being a bit messy, or some of the plastic being a bit off. So yeah, probably not a good idea to buy them just yet.

Zarathh wrote:

Oh my…

The Internet.. Corrupting ten year old children since 1993.

Anyways, no one cares but my cross country move is complete and I now have a computer with lots of Internets. This two month Internet drought was literally the hardest thing I've ever undergone. I've been gone too long: every time I refresh the page someone's name has changed.

Last edited Jun 17, 2012 at 01:32AM EDT

@Gilda

We are talking about Tara Strong, the main voice actor for Lollipop Chainsaw.

Sure she learned what clopping means, but she has the capacity to look past it, she even joked about it by posting this.

I honestly do think that this will not greatly impact, if at all effect her view on the brony fanbase.

Last edited Jun 17, 2012 at 02:10AM EDT

Maiden Heaven wrote:

This is just swagg.

Hey, if Tara Strong can get over that dark side of the fandom and still make jokes abut it, she is awesome in my books. Add the fact that she voices Twilight and she is a goddess.

If you want the hole set of dia de los muerto ponies I have them but you are a lil late with that pic. its' a repost from last year.

Fun Fact:
cabrón can mean mate, dude, bastard, coward, asshole and pimp. The noun cabrón is like several other Spanish nouns with a human referent. The masculine forms are used when the referent is known to be male, a group of males, a group of mixed or unknown gender, or an individual of unknown or unspecified gender.

Last edited Jun 17, 2012 at 02:33AM EDT

@Connor
I know… But where I'm from, cabron can be an insult and endearing due to context. Plus, cabron may mean asshole but it can also be used to describe a stubborn person. "Este cabron sigue con su chingadera!" and such. Also, do you know that in some parts, Spanish speakers cuss almost every 3 words, so curse words habe less of a sting there…

@Tim
Crap, didn't know that vector was shitty. Anyway:

@Derpy Vazquez
I know it's hella old. I just like it. Thanks for the Dia de los Muertos ponies, though.

Frack… I just noticed the boatload of Pony Creator OC's in deviantart. I'm new to it, ok?
So anyway, what do you guys think the VA's reactions would be to this, aside from Tara Strong's trolling to troll the troll of trolls against all trolls?

Last edited Jun 17, 2012 at 02:49AM EDT

ExudesAffluence wrote:

The Internet.. Corrupting ten year old children since 1993.

Anyways, no one cares but my cross country move is complete and I now have a computer with lots of Internets. This two month Internet drought was literally the hardest thing I've ever undergone. I've been gone too long: every time I refresh the page someone's name has changed.

by the way did't she voice someone in superman vs the elite

Riyku wrote:

Oh man
My result:

I had a drunken one night stand with Princess..5eline.
At least that looks like bloody 5eline.
And Sheogarath is on that as well.
Nice.

@father's day

Happy Father's day…
(sniff)

@Riyuku
The Kaminoans don't keep good birth records, so I'll assume I was born on January 32nd.

@Tara Strong finding out about clopping
Though disturbing as may be, I'm pretty sure she'll joke about this from now on. After all, she worked on Drawn Together.

@Connor
Makes sense. But what about Lyra and her quest for hands? Apparently, she can grip stuff same as anybody else if that's the case.

badsitrep wrote:

@Tim

Fun fact.

I once convinced a pegasister friend of mine to rent the game simply based upon the fact Tara uses the Twilight voice throughout.

It was a great game on its own, but when I was playing Batman: Arkham City, I kept eagerly awaiting the next appearance of Harley Quinn, or as I called her 'New York Twilight.'

Riyku wrote:

Oh man
My result:

"Oh boy, you had a drunken one night stand with Princess Luna."

Well, this can't be good.

TLDR post incoming

First off, sorry I missed the synchtube. I was looking forward to it, but I missed the link in Zar's post. I just finished my college term, and so now I'm home for the summer. I shouldn't miss the next one.

What do you guys think of MLD?

As someone who reads a lot of sadfics, I'd say it's a bit overrated. I was pretty disappointed with MLD. Just about everyone who's read it said that they broke into a fountain of tears, when I didn't shed a single one.

Also, I agree with other people on here when I say it's a bit creepy. I avoid "human in equestria" and vice versa fics for the sole reason that they're often prone to self-insertion. I avoid fics with OC ponies (unless it's highly rated) for the same reason. Going back to MLD, I couldn't help but shiver at this paragraph:

There have been times I wished I had my own Rainbow Dash, or more realistically a plushie of her, to curl up in bed with. I've made an old Simba into a "temporary" replacement, until I am able to save enough money for one. It helps, in a way. Like holding it close will heal my wounds, my pain, and my sorrow. My feet, after countless hours of walking in my old shoes, pulsate under the sheet, and all the while, I'll hold that stuffed animal harder than a mother protecting her child. It's the only thing I can look at and feel true joy, even if it isn't physically the Rainbow Dash I want.

It will have to do.

I could go on longer about this, but I'll just shorten it and say that there are much better fics out there that are more worthy of attention (Eternal, cough cough).

@Alicorn discussion

I don't really think that alicorns are supreme beings. As seen in the finale, Celestia was easily taken down by Chrysalis (or however it's spelt). I'm still developing my headcannon when it comes to their lifespan. Right now, I just think that they have a really long life span, but not an infinite one.

When it comes to Cadence, if I'm right she's Celestia's niece. This means that alicorn-ness is actually genetic. That also means there must be more alicorns out there than the three we've seen thus far.

As for the flowing manes, I think that's a result in a lot of magical practice. Like Dan pointed out, Cadence was able to obtain one during that one scene with Shining Armor (where he didn't have one). Thus, I also think that Celestia and Luna are in positions of power solely because of their magical ability, and if their time passes, they can be replaced by one just as gifted.

@Brony doc

Some of you people might disagree with what I'm about to say, but I'm hoping we can all be mature about this.

I actually agree with what the guy is saying. The documentary is completely biased, as it's being funded by the people it's representing. I've watched a lot of docs in my time, and he's right in that they should be completely unbiased and allow the viewer to come to their own decision. Most bronies are looking to the documentary to try and fix their image. But in my opinion, the negative views from the media towards bronies is mainly because of a lack of unbiased information. About all prior information from the mainstream came from sources like Fox News, and we all know how that went. Throwing in our own biased standpoint isn't going to make things better. The documentary should solely provide unbiased info to the viewer so they can make a more educated standpoint.

Let me put it this way: the Justin Beiber documentary only served to boost JB's image and make a profit off it's fans. This documentary might not be doing the latter, but how is it any better in the first regard?

I think the documentary's intentions are good, but they're going about this in the wrong way.

Last edited Jun 17, 2012 at 11:51AM EDT

@Muffins
>mfw I read the part of MLD

The only reason I would start crying is because of how creepy that is. Jesus man.

Also, I Agree fully with everything you are saying and that is why I really don't care about the doc. As for your jb comparison, that's spot on. People were complaining because they said he was getting facts wrong, but really he was just speculating and not stating facts. Really, I think it will be more of a celebration of brony culture through a rose-tinted camera lens, and that makes for a lousy documentary.

@The discussion of the doc again:

You guys are speculating and assuming, which isn't going to get definite answers anytime soon. It's being made by people technically outside of the brony community, not the people funding it. You can't say 'everybody who funded it was a brony, so it's going to glorify bronies' without hard evidence to suggest it will be. We don't know the percentage of people who funded it that are bronies, so we can't even speculate precisely that it will glorify them. Even if we did know how many bronies funded it, we still couldn't speculate accurately.

You guys, as well as the guy that made the video, need to give it a chance before writing it off as shitty journalism. You're allowed to do that to FOX News because you have cold, hard evidence that they got the facts wrong and lampoon constantly. You can't with this documentary because we know very little about the journalistic integrity of John and everybody else on the crew. If anything, we can assume that he will try to show every part of the fandom, because knows about Star Trek fans and how often they're ridiculed.

And, hell, even if it does try to paint the bronies in a good light, it'd help counterbalance the shit we get from every other News outlet. That includes the internet, because, despite the image macros, we haven't conquered much of the internet yet, and people still think we're creepy. So, as opposed to FOX News and other shit taking the bad part of the fandom like they always do, we have something that shows the good part, as well.

You guys need to give the documentary a chance, though. So does that guy. Going off past assumptions that aren't even there isn't going to help you speculate that the documentary will suck. Especially if you assume bronies have an actual hand in its making.

@Muffins

Actually I don't entirely disagree with you, since I even pointed out in my own post that Ken is correct that the documentary will be of very substandard quality should it make a real attempt to improve the Brony image. A documentaries purpose is to only inform from a neutral standpoint and direct attempts to sway the viewers opinion one direction or the other will deserve criticism. No disagreements there.

BUT

My point was that I find it unfair to jump to such a conclusion about the documentaries intentions this quickly. How does Ken know its going to be that terrible? For all we know the producers are already well aware of the point he made. I don't see reason for alarm right now.

Granted, I can understand the concerns because a few statements from the producers made it sound like they were only going to promote us. Plus the more insecure Bronies seem to be banking on the Documentary to make them look more appealing. But that doesn't say that much at this point

I say time will tell. Perhaps I hold onto a lingering hope that documentary will actually only inform and not just try to celebrate us. After all, demand for just straightforward facts about the fandom does exist. We've generated plenty of confusion and plenty of people are still asking questions. I am under the impression that the documentary is here to answer just that

Last edited Jun 17, 2012 at 12:58PM EDT

@explosive lasers
What's wrong with speculation? We do that with movies, games, tv, etc. We just have a hunch it will be biased is all. So what? It's fun to speculate. Don't worry do much about what we think.

"And, hell, even if it does try to paint the bronies in a good light, it’d help counterbalance the shit we get from every other News outlet. That includes the internet, because, despite the image macros, we haven’t conquered much of the internet yet, and people still think we’re creepy. So, as opposed to FOX News and other shit taking the bad part of the fandom like they always do, we have something that shows the good part, as well."

The thing is that many people have made up there mind about bronies. No Documentary is going to change the fact that bronies love a show geared to little girls and a lot of people find that strange. This goes back to what that guy was saying. So what? Like whatever you like and don't worry to much about what people think.

@Dac

This goes back to what that guy was saying. So what? Like whatever you like and don’t worry to much about what people think.

Kens advice there is sound but his insinuation was that the Fandom was funding this Documentary specifically because they worry too much about what other people think. As far as I can tell that actually isn't true.

The producers came forward first and claimed they wanted to make a doco about us. Why? They simply wanted to. They volunteered to do this. THEN they got funded.

They didn't decide to do it only after getting paid off by tons of insecure Bronies.

So his little rant was rather moot and frankly a little condescending

Last edited Jun 17, 2012 at 01:12PM EDT

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

@Dac

This goes back to what that guy was saying. So what? Like whatever you like and don’t worry to much about what people think.

Kens advice there is sound but his insinuation was that the Fandom was funding this Documentary specifically because they worry too much about what other people think. As far as I can tell that actually isn't true.

The producers came forward first and claimed they wanted to make a doco about us. Why? They simply wanted to. They volunteered to do this. THEN they got funded.

They didn't decide to do it only after getting paid off by tons of insecure Bronies.

So his little rant was rather moot and frankly a little condescending

I was responding to explosive lasers saying that even if the doc is biased, Atleast it will counteract all the negativity. I'm saying that that is no excuse to make a biased doc, assuming of course that it is biased, and that we shouldn't worry about the negativity really.

Last edited Jun 17, 2012 at 01:37PM EDT

I'd have to agree with Explosive on this one, and not just because Ashcorp is kind of an arrogant jerk.

I'm not sure exactly why a "good" documentary is one that shows "both the positive and negative" aspects of the thing it's examining. Those terms are so subjective it gives me a chill. DeLancie noticed something about bronies he liked, and realized that all we ever got was mockery from mainstream media. Remember that most, and in fact I should emphasize this, pretty much ALL documentaries attempt to make a point. It would be mad to say that they don't. He understands, based on his experiences with other fanbases, that the vast majority of bronies are perfectly normal people. I believe that will be the basic idea behind his representation of the fans. What's wrong with that? Is he obligated to talk about that .01% of the fans that can't wait to get their hands on "special" plushies? I don't see why. I would even say that doing so could very well negate the entire effort. You have 60-90 minutes to make an enjoyable and informative film about someone or something, and you have to be selective about what goes in. Like it or not, a documentary can never be completely unbiased. Not that they shouldn't try to avoid outright propaganda, but at this point, we just don't know how they're going to handle it. It may primarily focus on what goes on at bronycon and the other conventions, and that's something I'd really like to see.

As for the advice to "like what you're going to like and who cares what other people think," that's only partially right. We are not wrong for liking MLP in the face of criticism, but humans ARE social beings, after all. Of course there are bronies who care what other people think, that doesn't make them insecure. As to whether the documentary will help them in their plight, I have no idea, but I hope it does. If people can gain a greater understanding of who bronies are and why the show appeals to them, perhaps less societal ridicule will occur. If not, then maybe it will at least be entertaining to us. If not even that, well, life goes on.

So tl;dr, I still maintain that Ashcorp is freaking out over nothing, and we have little reason to believe that the film will be terrible because it's "rose-tinted." We will just have to wait and see.

Last edited Jun 17, 2012 at 01:41PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!